The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Making Sample Packs from Hardware Midi Synths
Old 18th January 2016
Gear Nut

Making Sample Packs from Hardware Midi Synths

Lets create an up-to-date thread for those wanting to make 'sample packs' out of their own hardware MIDI synths. Currently I want to make a start by sampling presets on my Roland JV-1010 and Roland JX3P.

Sampling software choices: These seem to be the best options on the market atm:

Soundlib2: https://www.soundlib.com/samplit/ ($139)
AutoSampler: in Mainstage (£22.99)
SampleRobot 4: SampleRobot - Clever Instrument Creation [ Sample Robot - Automatic Sampling ] SKYLIFE Software (329EUR)

Soundlib2 looks good, AutoSampler is not as feature rich but much better priced, however it only seems to export to EXS24? SampleRobot 4 is way over priced.
My requirements are that the software is very easy to use but also that the final samples be available to use in Ableton (either through Ableton's own sampler, or in a 3rd party pref. Kontakt) as I dont use Logic much.

Parameters:
Brian Li has a terrific post on his blog about AutoSampler (https://brianli.com/sampling-synths-...r-mainstage-3/)
Where he outlines some sampling best practices such as:

– sample every minor third note (its not necessary to sample semi tones)
– sustain length 4-6 seconds (using penrose machine looping)

How many velocity layers would you guys recommend when sampling the JV-1010, and the JX3P? and what kind of file size sample library is this likely to yeild?

Output:
It looks like AutoSampler will export EXS24. (Can anyone confirm?) But in order to have my libraries in Ableton (or preferable across all DAWS) I need Kontakt or Ableton Sample format – I found one tutorial stating it's possible to just drag EXS/Kontakt files into ableton. Has gotten this to work?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjms6k9qt8w

Thanks for the help and happy sampling. If anyone would like the JV-1010 / JX3P libraries when they are done let me know...
Old 18th January 2016
HSi
Lives for gear

You can just drag esx and kontakt files into sampler, you re-save them converted. Doesn't work on encrypted libraries though.

Chicken systems translate and Cdxtract will convert between most soft sampler formats.

The E-Mu soft sampler can 'synth-swipe', but it's £300~, not worth getting just for that unless you want the patches in EMU sampler format.
Old 22nd January 2016
Gear Nut

Thanks for your reply– I see the ableton function works fairly well. If anyone wants to chime in that would be great.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search