The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Arturia MatrixBrute
Old 1 week ago
  #3301
AXN
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
Some good news for the weekend:

Just to let you guys know, Edouard has OK'ed letting it be known that the beta has started - I have it running on my MxB

Sorry, I can't go into the details, but it has some snazzy new features. I think you'll like it...
Nice! Was looking in this tread for a long time, and just bought one, looking forward to it!
Old 1 week ago
  #3302
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
Uhm...

Please note that DrJustice did NOT say that you can NOT play snake on the matrix.

Even better than Pac-Man
Old 1 week ago
  #3303
Lives for gear
 
Lee Wilson's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
Uhm...

Damn !
Old 1 week ago
  #3304
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Me too as I've wanted to add a properly working Matrixbrute to my lineup.
I’ve owned mine for a while now and I can tell you even before this eminent firmware update the MxB is easily one of the best instruments I have ever owned, and (not to embellish) my list includes dozens of top high and low end , vintage and modern synths.

No matter how you slice it this thing will put a smile on your face and I wouldn’t let waiting for an update hold you back. It’s coming and the synth is sick. Just to clear the air I’m not a fan boy, actually I’m not very impressed with Arturia at all and I must have past by the Matrix brute in my local store tons of times without ever touching a key, I had no desire for it at all. Then one day while I was waiting for a sales person I started messing with it and I was truly blown away at its depth and versatility to it sound - and the matrix sequencer was super intuitive.
Anyway I can go on and on but needless to say while I’m not an Arturia fanboy the MatrixBrute is undeniably good and if you love synths this is a must have in ones arsenal in my humble opinion. In fact I would say for me if I was on an island and could only pick one synth of the ones I own it would be the MB- it’s vast and I’m never bored noodling with it.
Old 1 week ago
  #3305
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstino View Post
I’ve owned mine for a while now and I can tell you even before this eminent firmware update the MxB is easily one of the best instruments I have ever owned, and (not to embellish) my list includes dozens of top high and low end , vintage and modern synths.

No matter how you slice it this thing will put a smile on your face and I wouldn’t let waiting for an update hold you back. It’s coming and the synth is sick. Just to clear the air I’m not a fan boy, actually I’m not very impressed with Arturia at all and I must have past by the Matrix brute in my local store tons of times without ever touching a key, I had no desire for it at all. Then one day while I was waiting for a sales person I started messing with it and I was truly blown away at its depth and versatility to it sound - and the matrix sequencer was super intuitive.
Anyway I can go on and on but needless to say while I’m not an Arturia fanboy the MatrixBrute is undeniably good and if you love synths this is a must have in ones arsenal in my humble opinion. In fact I would say for me if I was on an island and could only pick one synth of the ones I own it would be the MB- it’s vast and I’m never bored noodling with it.
I think history will prove Auturia nailed it with the Matrixbrute --its their finest machine to date --lets hope they continue with the "Brute". form factor and we see a new addition to the range very soon
Old 6 days ago
  #3306
Gear Maniac
 
guictr's Avatar
Is it possible to expect a change in sound with a firmware update?
Old 6 days ago
  #3307
Gear Maniac
 
guictr's Avatar
Is it possible to expect a change in sound with a firmware update?
Old 6 days ago
  #3308
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2ba View Post
I think history will prove Auturia nailed it with the Matrixbrute --its their finest machine to date --lets hope they continue with the "Brute". form factor and we see a new addition to the range very soon
I think your right. I totally slept on the MatrixBrute and Arturia as a whole and once the nail the firmware which seems close now I think this instrument will start earning an iconic reputation.
Old 6 days ago
  #3309
Lives for gear
 
Lee Wilson's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by guictr View Post
Is it possible to expect a change in sound with a firmware update?
Yes.
Old 6 days ago
  #3310
Gear Maniac
 
guictr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wilson View Post
Yes.
Hmmm, that seems interesting.
Old 6 days ago
  #3311
Lives for gear
 
Phil Aiken's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstino View Post
I’ve owned mine for a while now and I can tell you even before this eminent firmware update the MxB is easily one of the best instruments I have ever owned, and (not to embellish) my list includes dozens of top high and low end , vintage and modern synths.

No matter how you slice it this thing will put a smile on your face and I wouldn’t let waiting for an update hold you back. It’s coming and the synth is sick. Just to clear the air I’m not a fan boy, actually I’m not very impressed with Arturia at all and I must have past by the Matrix brute in my local store tons of times without ever touching a key, I had no desire for it at all. Then one day while I was waiting for a sales person I started messing with it and I was truly blown away at its depth and versatility to it sound - and the matrix sequencer was super intuitive.
Anyway I can go on and on but needless to say while I’m not an Arturia fanboy the MatrixBrute is undeniably good and if you love synths this is a must have in ones arsenal in my humble opinion. In fact I would say for me if I was on an island and could only pick one synth of the ones I own it would be the MB- it’s vast and I’m never bored noodling with it.
I'm with you. I sold mine, and ultimately bought one back. It is not that it is the best sounding mono synth I own, but it is the most fun, and if I have a sound in my head it is the most intuitive synth to navigate in getting there. I am more of a real time player than a sequencer, so the much discussed sync issues pretty much don't affect me. That is not to downplay their significance, because I totally get that it is a huge deal for many other owners.
I hope that the update brings some new interesting features, and not just fixes, but if the release never happens it is still a keeper for me.

Obviously the Matrix itself is amazing, but man, do I love those 4 white fully and multiply assignable modulation knobs.
Old 6 days ago
  #3312
I'm so excited to see what the programmers come up with. There has been 2 years of design input from many users. Some of the input has been very well thought out with detailed execution plans.
Thank you to all the current and perspective users that help voice our concerns with the brute. Also, thank you to Arturia for doing the right thing and putting the effort into this beautiful instrument to make it feature complete and bug free. Better late than never.

On another note: have you guys noticed that when the Steiner filter is on HP in series, there isn't as much of a low end bump as you might expect at high resonance. Perhaps this is something that can be fine tuned with the upcoming firmware. If any of the beta testers are reading this, please have a look.
Old 6 days ago
  #3313
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guictr View Post
.
Mind sharing where the dragonfruitmanthing in your avatar is taken from?
Old 6 days ago
  #3314
Lives for gear
 
DrJustice's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by standingwave View Post
...
On another note: have you guys noticed that when the Steiner filter is on HP in series, there isn't as much of a low end bump as you might expect at high resonance. Perhaps this is something that can be fine tuned with the upcoming firmware. If any of the beta testers are reading this, please have a look.
The resonant low end bump in HP mode for the Steiner with 24 dB slope varies quite a bit with the frequency. E.g. at middle C I can boost the fundamental by 15 dB, whereas at the lower C (lowest on the keyboard) I only get a 3 dB boost. With the 12 dB slope it gives a more consistent 18dB bump at both middle and low C. This seems to be independent of series or parallel modes. The Ladder gives a more consistent low end bump with a 24 dB slope for a wider range of about 12 dB. So, for consistent resonant HP low end bumps at 24 dB slope, the Ladder may be a better choice. These were just some quick tests, so allow for a reasonable error margin. The Steiner is a much more "unruly" filter (and I like its not so common characteristics a lot! ).

The filter characteristics can't be changed with firmware AFAIK - that is all analogue electronics.
Old 6 days ago
  #3315
Gear Maniac
 
guictr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUBA View Post
Mind sharing where the dragonfruitmanthing in your avatar is taken from?
That's Gogo.

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki...al_Fantasy_VI)
Old 6 days ago
  #3316
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guictr View Post
Cool thanks. Thought it might have been taken from some epic japanese animation or comicbook series.
Old 6 days ago
  #3317
Gear Maniac
 
guictr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUBA View Post
Cool thanks. Thought it might have been taken from some epic japanese animation or comicbook series.
Well, it's a classic Square game and the main designer is Yo****aka Amano.
Old 5 days ago
  #3318
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
The resonant low end bump in HP mode for the Steiner with 24 dB slope varies quite a bit with the frequency. E.g. at middle C I can boost the fundamental by 15 dB, whereas at the lower C (lowest on the keyboard) I only get a 3 dB boost. With the 12 dB slope it gives a more consistent 18dB bump at both middle and low C. This seems to be independent of series or parallel modes. The Ladder gives a more consistent low end bump with a 24 dB slope for a wider range of about 12 dB. So, for consistent resonant HP low end bumps at 24 dB slope, the Ladder may be a better choice. These were just some quick tests, so allow for a reasonable error margin. The Steiner is a much more "unruly" filter (and I like its not so common characteristics a lot! ).

The filter characteristics can't be changed with firmware AFAIK - that is all analogue electronics.
Thanks Dr.J, that was a far more detailed response I could hope for. I enjoy the Steiner filter's character quite a bit as well, but I feel to be complete, I'm realizing I also need some MS20 flavor filter as well. Modular has been calling my name for a while now... Perhaps a mod to tap an out/in from the filters, oscillators or amp would be cool on the brute with conjunction of some outboard modules...

You've been very thorough in your analysis of the brute. With you on the job as beta tester, I'm hopeful that any bugs will be caught.
Old 1 day ago
  #3319
Lives for gear
 
apessino's Avatar
Kris produces some of the best MatrixBrute jams around - love the color and texture of this duo split sound:

Old 1 day ago
  #3320
Lives for gear
 
jimmydeluxe's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by standingwave View Post
If you dont want to buy anything, it's a 2 minute job to cut the ground cable. Just strip a small section of the usb cable, snip the black wire and electric tape the cable back up. No more hum!
I dont know why synth manufacturers do not simply terminate the ground via usb, the power supply is already grounded.
update: I did it, and am now able to use a great-sounding POD HD500 that has been sitting for years thanks to you folks

apologies on any derailment
Old 1 day ago
  #3321
Old 1 day ago
  #3322
Gear Addict
 

What sequencer improvements (if any) would you like to see in this FW update?
Old 1 day ago
  #3323
Ability to decouple from note inputs, more modulation slots, higher resolution, ability to modulate. Maybe a few more, but cant think of at the moment.
Old 23 hours ago
  #3324
Lives for gear
 
Lee Wilson's Avatar
Anyone else get excited when they got an email from Arturia with the word 'Update' in the title today !

Old 23 hours ago
  #3325
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2ba View Post
What sequencer improvements (if any) would you like to see in this FW update?
A resolution that makes sense for its realtime sequencing

Highly expanded tempo range

Ability to place LFO triggers wherever in the sequence independent of note inputs

Metronome
Old 6 hours ago
  #3326
If there was a mode which allowed freely assigning many modulation slots to any destination with the option to be decoupled from note input, basically just a pure modulation animation sequencer, I'd be happy. Seems like a wasted opportunity to not do this on the brute.
As it is, the sequencer is about as basic as it gets; it doesnt even let you change the starting note! Even if they opend it up to allow the sequencer parameters to be modulatable it would allow for some more unique sounds. Imagine if the start, end, shuffle and tempo were all modulatable. You could create some truly unique rhythms and phrases!

My #1 request for the brute is more assignable modulation destinations though...That, and full MIDI implementation (that goes without saying though)

If I had more time to help with the beta, I would have signed up. I'm really chomping at the bit to see what's in store!
Old 5 hours ago
  #3327
Lives for gear
 
DrJustice's Avatar
 

My fellow Brute Wielders, don't set yourself up with too high expectations, now - it's a bit late to suggest features considering that the update has been in the works for something like 3 months and is in now beta (aka feature complete testing) and due for release soon'ish. However, I don't think the update will disappoint. As a paying customer, I'm happy with what I'm seeing.

Re. the sequencer resolution: it is a step sequencer so it will only have step resolution and the realtime recorded notes will land on the steps. A metronome is not possible AFAIK since there is no extra sound generating circuitry that could support that. One could sync with something external providing a metronome - I know, not ideal but possible. Arturia did tell us (publicly) that they intended to do little work on the sequencer though, so we'll see what that might be...

OK - back to testing then (or actually not so much testing this weekend for me, I'm waiting for guests to arrive and there will be a high party factor to this weekend ).
Old 1 hour ago
  #3328
Lives for gear
 
BobTheDog's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
OK - back to testing then (or actually not so much testing this weekend for me, I'm waiting for guests to arrive and there will be a high party factor to this weekend ).
Slacker.
Old 1 hour ago
  #3329
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
My fellow Brute Wielders, don't set yourself up with too high expectations, now - it's a bit late to suggest features considering that the update has been in the works for something like 3 months and is in now beta (aka feature complete testing) and due for release soon'ish. However, I don't think the update will disappoint. As a paying customer, I'm happy with what I'm seeing.

Re. the sequencer resolution: it is a step sequencer so it will only have step resolution and the realtime recorded notes will land on the steps. A metronome is not possible AFAIK since there is no extra sound generating circuitry that could support that. One could sync with something external providing a metronome - I know, not ideal but possible. Arturia did tell us (publicly) that they intended to do little work on the sequencer though, so we'll see what that might be...

OK - back to testing then (or actually not so much testing this weekend for me, I'm waiting for guests to arrive and there will be a high party factor to this weekend ).
I filed a ticket about those features many moons ago. I was told by Arturia that the processing power was too poor to handle much improvement at all to the sequencer. Others (you) insinuated that this was most likely not the case if I remember correctly.

If these improvements are possible they should be strongly concidered by Arturia.

I can see the metronome being a challenge.

Anyway, thanks for your comment and have a fun weekend
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump