The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Arturia MatrixBrute
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'm buying more hardware......... and Arturia lost my money again for lack of bug fixes and communication on their flagship synth, but another one of their competitors profited, lol. I also did not buy any of Arturia's other hardware offerings as right now I just don't trust them to deliver properly working tools. Attention to detail, follow through, and customer service are areas Arturia better learn of they disappear as a company in this competitive synth market.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberheim View Post
When pigments was released I filled out a survey saying that they should release a hardware version of Pigments with analog filters - dual of course

Can you imagine how good that would be?!
What we know as a fact ---there is a youtube video of Glen Darcy explaining the tooling setup to make the Matrixbrute ---it was super expensive so it makes total sense to reuse the keyboard and panel and frame
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I'm buying more hardware......... and Arturia lost my money again for lack of bug fixes and communication on their flagship synth, but another one of their competitors profited, lol. I also did not buy any of Arturia's other hardware offerings as right now I just don't trust them to deliver properly working tools. Attention to detail, follow through, and customer service are areas Arturia better learn of they disappear as a company in this competitive synth market.
I hear you but it is a shame. I have a MatrixBrute and really one of the best instruments I have in my arsenal and I have quite a few high end from various manufacturers. I’m not worried about the updates as I know there coming. It’s like when I first bought my OB6 and found out the sequencer couldn’t trigger thru midi other synths, and now it does - firmware updates in all instruments are a part of 2019 things to deal with but the raw sound of the instrument and how it sounds musically and what the matrix sequencer can take u to is undeniably good at least in my humble opinion. Would hate for someone to miss the satisfaction of owning a MatrixBrute because of the perception of software fixes
Old 6 days ago
There are currently serious bugs with the Matrixbrute and the features that Arturia advertise it as having, are not fully functioning.
Without ALOT of prodding, I dont believe Arturia would have bothered with the firmware update. It's not a shame that someone would make a judgment call to not get tied into a mess with an unreliable company. It's a shame that Arturia have created this situation. Shame on them.
Its savvy for a consumer to react by not spending money on the company that behaves this way, not shameful.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I guess I'm also now a frustrated MatrixBrute owner.

I recall the vitriol against Arturia when this thread was is in it's infancy. GS members had too many past issues with the whole Arturia line. As the MxB was my very first Arturia product, I didn't have those same past experiences. The MxB sort of slipped under my radar, then seeing the Mark Doty videos pushed me over the edge and Brutus arrived. Well, two Brutus' arrived that had hardware flaws and were returned. It was the 3rd Brutus that was the keeper. Three B's was a charm in this case.

I've gotten on well with him from the start - but, not the MCC software interface and "tethering" requirement for making setting changes that really should be accessible from the synth - i.e. no computer required.

Fast forward and that MCC requirement is biting me again because it won't even open and I can't record MIDI from my MxB. I plug my DSI/Sequential synths USB cables to my computer and the MIDI pipe is activated in a couple seconds. The fact that this doesn't occur with the MxB really sucks. It just does. This is not always a "plug n play" synth... it's a "plug n then open MCC (if you can), then (maybe) play, if all goes well" synth.

Several bad experiences later, I'm realizing why there was so much vitriol towards Arturia. Having to return two flawed MxB's (with all the frustration that entails) to get a 3rd in proper shape, then getting bitten by the MCC bugs, may not compare to others experiences, but I get it now.

I've been speaking very highly of Arturia since the MxB and VC 6, for whatever that's worth. It seemed to me that they went all out with the MxB and that this was to be a future classic. But, now I'm thinking that status or level of acclaim is sort of in limbo, for me anyway. I agree with some others and think some things should have been taken care of way back.

Anyway, I'm still on A's side and hope all the best for them. I guess I just want the ease of use the Sequential and Moog synths bring, that's all. There's a lot of complexity under the hood that needs to be made easy to utilize. Arturia have done a brilliant job on the MxB build and interface. The whole implementation is fantastic, except for where it isn't.

Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
I love my MxB - just noodling and patch making is such a fun thing to do for me.

I hope I can solve the noise problem (I hope it’s juts something I’m doing)

I’ve got issues with the legato and note priory lights being faulty too, so trying to get that fixed at the moment.

Great instrument, great idea and great sound. Just needs a few fixes, better community engagement and firmware updates :-)
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninecows View Post
This was my thoughts. I know the firmware is not supposed to be released to the public, but I just thought that if the BETA was released to the beta testers, this thread would be flooded with info about that. And that (as I understand) should have happened last week.
Beta testers sign an NDA
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
I guess I'm also now a frustrated MatrixBrute owner.

I recall the vitriol against Arturia when this thread was is in it's infancy. GS members had too many past issues with the whole Arturia line. As the MxB was my very first Arturia product, I didn't have those same past experiences. The MxB sort of slipped under my radar, then seeing the Mark Doty videos pushed me over the edge and Brutus arrived. Well, two Brutus' arrived that had hardware flaws and were returned. It was the 3rd Brutus that was the keeper. Three B's was a charm in this case.

I've gotten on well with him from the start - but, not the MCC software interface and "tethering" requirement for making setting changes that really should be accessible from the synth - i.e. no computer required.

Fast forward and that MCC requirement is biting me again because it won't even open and I can't record MIDI from my MxB. I plug my DSI/Sequential synths USB cables to my computer and the MIDI pipe is activated in a couple seconds. The fact that this doesn't occur with the MxB really sucks. It just does. This is not always a "plug n play" synth... it's a "plug n then open MCC (if you can), then (maybe) play, if all goes well" synth.

Several bad experiences later, I'm realizing why there was so much vitriol towards Arturia. Having to return two flawed MxB's (with all the frustration that entails) to get a 3rd in proper shape, then getting bitten by the MCC bugs, may not compare to others experiences, but I get it now.

I've been speaking very highly of Arturia since the MxB and VC 6, for whatever that's worth. It seemed to me that they went all out with the MxB and that this was to be a future classic. But, now I'm thinking that status or level of acclaim is sort of in limbo, for me anyway. I agree with some others and think some things should have been taken care of way back.

Anyway, I'm still on A's side and hope all the best for them. I guess I just want the ease of use the Sequential and Moog synths bring, that's all. There's a lot of complexity under the hood that needs to be made easy to utilize. Arturia have done a brilliant job on the MxB build and interface. The whole implementation is fantastic, except for where it isn't.

I did post some things above to try to get MCC running. Did you try them?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post

I have the same problem with my Prophet X and I did with a Blofeld when I had one. I have/had to reboot/unplug both several times to get the USB MIDI connection going.

I suspect it's some incompatibility between these synths and my old 2010 Mac Pro.

Strangely, my MB works fine every time!

Stephen
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog View Post
Beta testers sign an NDA
That explains it. Sorry. But Jesus... Arturia could handle this so much more open and earn a lot of trust if they did.
Old 6 days ago
The NDA shouldn't prevent them from saying if they are currently testing. Is there anyone currently testing a beta yet?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

I’m sure many of Arturia programmers and testers are on summer holiday. Next month, firmware beta may get going I’m guessing. I volunteered for testing and signed an NDA. No news since.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by standingwave View Post
The NDA shouldn't prevent them from saying if they are currently testing.
Of course it does!
Old 6 days ago
I had no idea Bob. Admittedly, I am not a lawyer

Looks like TJ hasn't recieved anything yet, so I'll assume none of the civilian beta testers have. Too bad. Looks like standard practice to not meet deadlines and give no communication as to why.
Just so everyone knows: I am hard on the brute and Arturia right now, but when/if Arturia pull their socks up and finish what they started, I will be the first to sing its praises. It has the potential to be the most interesting and powerful mono-synth in one box ever... IF they finish it.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Seems to me there's like one single dude handling bugfixes and OS updates on all of their products. Come to think of it, must be the same guy that's supposed to keep us up to date on what's going on.

Maybe Arturia should concider some serious staff priority changes, or if that's not possible, upping their prices.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by standingwave View Post
Looks like TJ hasn't recieved anything yet, so I'll assume none of the civilian beta testers have.
I wouldn’t assume that. They could have enough beta testers and don’t need me. I’m fine with that. I have lots of other projects going on right now. Certainly they’re working on it.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjontheroad View Post
I wouldn’t assume that. They could have enough beta testers and don’t need me. I’m fine with that. I have lots of other projects going on right now. Certainly they’re working on it.
Fair enough. I appreciate it.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
I agree with many of the sentiments here. I absolutely love what they have done with the MxM... we should applaud them and especially the designers of the product. We all love the ambition of what it is I’m sure.

Granted, it would be great to see more community engagement. Hopefully they get enough budget to hire a dedicated community manager to show some love to buyers of true flagship and other products... maybe they already have someone and it’s difficult to do. Not sure. Best not to make assumptions when I don’t know the reality or indeed, have never attempted something as ambitious myself. I respect them for going for it - what a great idea in the first place!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I’m with 6string on this one, ffs you make a killer all analog beast fx and all, then require a computer to set the midi? come on man, I would rather have a midi channel toggle switch on the back. Fix this thing so I can cut the cord
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Rob Lowe View Post
I’m with 6string on this one, ffs you make a killer all analog beast fx and all, then require a computer to set the midi? come on man, I would rather have a midi channel toggle switch on the back. Fix this thing so I can cut the cord
How about a feature request such as:

Hold down ‘Panel’ and ‘Midi sync’ for Two seconds to initiate ‘Midi channel Matrix Mode’

The Matrix lights up with 16 buttons illuminated in blue across the top row - A1-A16

Hit a button to select channel. It turns red. Press Preset, Mod or Sequence to return

Would that work?

Arturia - what do you think of this idea?

Please let us know your thoughts on this Arturia. It would be good to hear from you. :-)
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

The beta has started

Some good news for the weekend:

Just to let you guys know, Edouard has OK'ed letting it be known that the beta has started - I have it running on my MxB

Sorry, I can't go into the details, but it has some snazzy new features. I think you'll like it...
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head
Yes!!!! Excellent news
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post

Just to let you guys know, Edouard has OK'ed letting it be known that the beta has started - I have it running on my MxB

Sorry, I can't go into the details, but it has some snazzy new features. I think you'll like it...
I'm betting most here just hope they have fixed all the bugs.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Let's hope Arturia did right by the Matrixbrute.

Last edited by Will The Weirdo; 5 days ago at 03:40 PM..
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

Best news this week!

(Funniest news: Trump wants to BUY Greenland)
(Worst news next week: He’ll just take Greenland if we refuse to sell)

... sorry. Back on topic. Very happy to hear that the Beta is out there
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

So now we know how to translate a deadline stated by Arturia. You just double the time and it’s roughy right.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Great news indeed I’m going to stay on the glass is half full side of things and hope it’s what we been after.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstino View Post
Great news indeed I’m going to stay on the glass is half full side of things and hope it’s what we been after.
Me too as I've wanted to add a properly working Matrixbrute to my lineup.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

You don't have to say anything (NDA and all that) . . . but if the new firmware has PacMan™ on the matrix then do not reply to this post.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wilson View Post
You don't have to say anything (NDA and all that) . . . but if the new firmware has PacMan™ on the matrix then do not reply to this post.
Uhm...

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search