The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
New Dave Smith Mono?
Old 16th January 2016
  #1
Lives for gear
 
NoHo Kid's Avatar
 

New Dave Smith Mono?

This was posted on their Facebook page with a teaser-ish vibe, as they usually do before an unveiling:



.
6
Share
Old 16th January 2016
  #2
Lives for gear
 
SonicBern's Avatar
 

First...
4
Share
Old 16th January 2016
  #3
Lives for gear
 
NoHo Kid's Avatar
 

I'll bet a billion dollars it's a new mono of some sort wit the P6 oscillators...maybe a cheaper desktop type box or a full fledged high end mono keyboard to match the prophet 6.
2
Share
Old 16th January 2016
  #4
Lives for gear
 

i bloody hope so!

show me!!!!!

SHOW ME NOW!
Old 16th January 2016
  #5
Lives for gear
 

It'll be... a keytar
3
Share
Old 16th January 2016
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Dpro's Avatar
I hope it's a Poly version of the Pro2 and no I do not feel the P12 is that.

P.S. That is a Portamento switch from a P5( with a mystery swirl put on the image) which makes me think Poly something.
2
Share
Old 16th January 2016
  #7
Lives for gear
 
NoHo Kid's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpro View Post
I hope it's a Poly version of the Pro2
not a chance in hell
2
Share
Old 16th January 2016
  #8
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpro View Post
I hope it's a Poly version of the Pro2 and no I do not feel the P12 is that.

P.S. That is a Portamento switch from a P5( with a mystery swirl put on the image) which makes me think Poly something.
Poly Revolver
7
Share
Old 16th January 2016
  #9
Gear Addict
 
_ADSR_'s Avatar
No Portamento button I can see on P5, P10, T8, P1, P2, P12, P08 or P6. They all have glide knobs.

I've seen that before but I can't remember where?
Old 16th January 2016
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Eric J's Avatar
Hope its something sub-$1000. $500 4 voice would be nice to replace the Tetra & complete with the wonderful minilogue. Not holding my breath though.
1
Share
Old 16th January 2016
  #11
Gear Addict
 

I'd prefer a Tetra-sized box with P2/P12 specs, doubt it'll happen:(
Old 16th January 2016
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Eric J's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by otic View Post
I'd prefer a Tetra-sized box with P2/P12 specs, doubt it'll happen:(
and more knobs.
Old 16th January 2016
  #13
Gear Nut
 
jondis's Avatar
Just read somewhere that the pro one was the first synth to have legato portamento ( glide only when notes are held ) , so maybe its a hint at a pro one flavored release ???
4
Share
Old 16th January 2016
  #14
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric J View Post
and more knobs.
I'd be fine with same amount of knobs tbh
I want a super portable module; little live control, strictly for sequencing.
Old 16th January 2016
  #15
Lives for gear
 
AdamJay's Avatar
 

Oh please be a Pro 2 module.
2
Share
Old 16th January 2016
  #16
Lives for gear
 
ArtFluids's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondis View Post
Just read somewhere that the pro one was the first synth to have legato portamento ( glide only when notes are held ) , so maybe its a hint at a pro one flavored release ???
You could be right!


Now for Dave's dilemma: the Mopho's PCB had "Pro One 2" printed on it and he already has a synth called the Pro 2. What would he call this one?

And how many more "second" Pro Ones will he make?
1
Share
Old 16th January 2016
  #17
Gear Nut
 
jondis's Avatar
Perhaps a pro 3 ? 3 osc. mono synth with new filter design and new portamento patch randomizer selector extreme switch ?
Old 16th January 2016
  #18
Lives for gear
 
ArtFluids's Avatar
I like the sound of that. Whatever happens I'd like him to include CV/Gate control.
2
Share
Old 16th January 2016
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Dpro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by _ADSR_ View Post
No Portamento button I can see on P5, P10, T8, P1, P2, P12, P08 or P6. They all have glide knobs.

I've seen that before but I can't remember where?
You are right, and yes I have seen it before as well. It's definitely old school as in Sequential type switch. None of the DSI machines used those switches.

I can bet whatever it is it's probably coming out under the Sequential brand rather than the DSI which leads me to believe it will be something related to the old school.

Oh damn it would so cool to see a modern Prophet VS!

P.S. Why in the hell does it have to be a Mono synth just because of a Portamento switch?
Old 16th January 2016
  #20
Deleted 46dc28f
Guest
Pro One rehash would be my guess.
5
Share
Old 16th January 2016
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Dpro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 46dc28f View Post
Pro One rehash would be my guess.
Given the way he announced and promoted the Pro 2 I doubt that. He promoted it as the successor to the Pro 1 much like he promoted the P6 as the successor to the P5.

I honestly think this has Poly synth not Mono synth all written all over it. After all look at the ratio of mono synths to Poly's he has always made.

Plus it's interesting that there are no more Evolvers being marketed and while the P12 amd Pro 2 are hybrids they are not like the Evolvers or VS.

Ya I can wish.
1
Share
Old 16th January 2016
  #22
Lives for gear
 
gruvsyco's Avatar
Maybe single VCO analogue poly ala SixTrak

Wishful thinking is new Pro One style mono perhaps with both the SSM and SEM filters. No presets. Killer would be the ability to arpeggiate the sequencer (like a Buchla Easel). And while I'm dreaming fully CV patchable.
Old 16th January 2016
  #23
Gear Nut
 

all week will feed pictures ?
Old 16th January 2016
  #24
+1 on Sequential p6 related!
Old 16th January 2016
  #25
Lives for gear
 
volumetrik's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
I like the sound of that. Whatever happens I'd like him to include CV/Gate control.
yes very important to include CV/Gate

would be disappointing if it didn't have it on a true VCO based Sequential mono
Old 16th January 2016
  #26
Gear Nut
 
Hannibal Lektra's Avatar
I agree that we are looking at something new from Sequential but why call it portamento instead of glide like on the P6 unless it behaves differently? Is there a difference between glide and portamento? Maybe you don't have to play legato for the notes to glide or maybe it has something to do with the way the amp envelope resets or the way an arpeggio behaves.
Old 16th January 2016
  #27
Lives for gear
 
rasseru's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lektra View Post
I agree that we are looking at something new from Sequential but why call it portamento instead of glide like on the P6 unless it behaves differently? Is there a difference between glide and portamento? Maybe you don't have to play legato for the notes to glide or maybe it has something to do with the way the amp envelope resets or the way an arpeggio behaves.
isnt glide for only certain or held notes and portamento global?
Old 16th January 2016
  #28
Deleted User
Guest
Sequential Four-Track (4-part multitimbral with mod matrix and CV)?
Sequential Prophet 6 Remote Keytar?
Sequential T16 (16-voice, double-manual)?
Old 16th January 2016
  #29
think maybe be glide and porto have got mixed up over years.
i thought that with glide ,you play a note and the pitch moves from a set range ,then "glides" to the note you play where as porto moves from one played note to the next plyed note
Old 16th January 2016
  #30
Lives for gear
 
rasseru's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsdrawnigh View Post
Sequential Four-Track (4-part multitimbral with mod matrix and CV)?
That would be interesting, like a budget Pro-2/Tempest hybrid for ...


$499?
1
Share
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump