The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Boutique vs Minilogue
Old 26th February 2016
Lives for gear

We all know it, Roland just happened to fall out of favor with the hipster crowd for some reason (honestly i'm a hipster to).
But i just use my ears, and i hear an AMAZING sounding jx-08 compared to an overall quite generic/ok-ish sounding korg minilogue. With the boutique jx-08 the whole room just fills up with an intense and musical tone, i don't know how you can not be impressed by it.

I returned the minilogue to the store and kept the jx-08 because the clicking sound DID annoy me, and i found the jx-08 more usuable sounding together with the portable size (i like to keep things close to my computer).
I'm not bashing the minilogue, i do respect the engineering work that went in it, but the jx-08 just does it for me.
Old 26th February 2016
Gear Maniac
I just grabbed a JP08 will report back when I get it.
Old 26th February 2016
Gear Maniac

People. Its' JX-03, JU-06, JP-08.
Old 26th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizeh12 View Post
We all know it, Roland just happened to fall out of favor with the hipster crowd for some reason (honestly i'm a hipster to).
But i just use my ears, and i hear an AMAZING sounding jx-08 compared to an overall quite generic/ok-ish sounding korg minilogue. With the boutique jx-08 the whole room just fills up with an intense and musical tone, i don't know how you can not be impressed by it.

I returned the minilogue to the store and kept the jx-08 because the clicking sound DID annoy me, and i found the jx-08 more usuable sounding together with the portable size (i like to keep things close to my computer).
I'm not bashing the minilogue, i do respect the engineering work that went in it, but the jx-08 just does it for me.
Ok so which is it: the JX-03 or the JP-08?
Old 26th February 2016
Gear Maniac
I am trying to find a used JU06 still if someone doesnt like theirs lol.
Old 26th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by payt View Post
Ok so which is it: the JX-03 or the JP-08?
jx-03 is here temporarily in the studio for a project, it will be returned to the owner next wednesday. jp-08 is mine, and will stay mine

Since i already have a jx3p i'm not so interested in having a jx-03. I don't like congested studios.
Old 1st March 2016
Gear Maniac
Just got my JP08 its fantastic! The sliders are a little small for on the fly but it sounds great! Very little aliasing on the highs very warm and big sounding for a little cheap DSP synth. Cant wait for the JU06!
Old 19th March 2016
Here for the gear

I am having quite a dilemma deciding on one or the other myself (well right now I don't have the money for either so that temporarily solves my problem). I've never personally played either, but from the videos and the sound demos I seem to really like sound of the boutiques (particularly the JP and JU) compared to the Minilogue. But the fact that the controls are so small on the boutiques and none of the parameters can be automated easily through midi is a giant bummer. The functionality of the Minilogue is so much better for just a bit more price, but the sound in my opinion is much more pleasing on the boutiques, which is funny because they are digital with "analogue circuit behavior" modelling, and the Korg is truly analog.
Old 19th March 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkman0 View Post
I am having quite a dilemma deciding on one or the other myself (well right now I don't have the money for either so that temporarily solves my problem). I've never personally played either, but from the videos and the sound demos I seem to really like sound of the boutiques (particularly the JP and JU) compared to the Minilogue. But the fact that the controls are so small on the boutiques and none of the parameters can be automated easily through midi is a giant bummer. The functionality of the Minilogue is so much better for just a bit more price, but the sound in my opinion is much more pleasing on the boutiques, which is funny because they are digital with "analogue circuit behavior" modelling, and the Korg is truly analog.
I usually say trust your ears forget the specs that say this is analog and this is Digital. Sometimes I feel that the most important thing is how you feel behind the instrument and what your ears tell your brain as u engage
Gear Maniac
I grabbed a ju-06 in january as a new year treat before the minilogue surfaced. I probably would have waited for the korg had i known it was coming. Now i have both and am glad i got the ju too, the korg is really great and very versatile but the ju makes silky syruppy tones in a way the korg doesn't seem to manage. They complement each other really well
Deleted b598644
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkman0 View Post
which is funny because they are digital with "analogue circuit behavior" modelling, and the Korg is truly analog.
which shows that being analog doesn't mean a better sound
Old 20th March 2016
Lives for gear

"Analog" does not equal "better than"

Who cares where the sound comes from, as long as its good
Old 20th March 2016 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminIAm View Post

Exactly and the JP-08 sounds pretty good despite it's modest price and diminutive size
Old 21st March 2016 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:

Too true. So many factors come into play. I think Roland is really on to something with their ACB modeling. I have heard a lot of demos of the Boutiques and the only ones where I thought they sounded bad were the ones where the JP08 was doing cross modulation. It really sh!t the bed. Someone's got a Jupiter 8 vs video up on YouTube that shows it and it's actually doing a fair job up until that cross modulation.

That said... Without having actually used one, I can't say that the sound of the JP08s cross mod wouldn't be fun to use. I'm always using decimators and lo-fi stuff to get a vibe. Run my $2200 guitar and $2000 amp modeler though $300 software that makes it sounds like it's coming from a cheap cell phone. I like the fake modeled filters on the old Creamware stuff better than some of the newer analog filters. Diva sometimes sounds great to me... Other times I think it sounds like sh!t. Last night I couldn't get one of my favorite analogs to sound good in a track I was working on and yet Roland's System 100 plug in did the trick perfectly. I just bought a Prophet 6. No rules. Everything is good. Bad music is bad no matter what it's made with.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61050 View Post
i was still within the return period so i actually took back my jp-08. my minilouge will be here mid next week.

the sound was great on it, but them controls were just too damn small. i could have lived with it, but i can also live with my new minilouge too, so im going with that.
almost forgot about this post. figured i'd chime in with an update. so i returned the minilogue about two weeks into owning it, but only because the outfit i bought it from had a surprise sale of 25% off a new drm1 with triggers. as this was my basically my holy grail of drum machines, i had to jump on it (and if anyone is wondering, it totally lives up to the hype i had created in my own head regarding it).

fast forward two months now, and i actually picked up another jp-08, and i don't really have any intention of getting a minilogue again. it was a great synth, especially for the money. i think the fact that the biggest complaint is that it clicks when you have it set to a sound that no one is actually going to be using in a track anyway is a testament to how good it really is. im actually using the jp-08 as a second (and third) oscillator for my reface cs right now though, and holy sh*tballs is it huge sounding. the minilogue cant even get close to what im doing with the cs/jp combo right now.

at this time, having used both pretty thoroughly, the jp-08 has won the day for my personal needs, but it the two are pretty different. not apples to oranges different, but more like limes to grapefruits different. they are both sour citrus fruits, but i for one will not be squeezing grapefruit juice into my margaritas.
Lives for gear

I imagine you will have two groups of people in this thread - those who can provide input and those wanting output for their own benefit - I am firmly in the second camp. Have been thinking about grabbing either the set of boutiques or maybe Minilogue + that new Odyssey. It won't be a right/wrong thing just a taste thing. FWIW a couple of years ago I bought a Minibrute after reading gushing review one after another and hated it. So will take more time this time to understand each unit, given the lack of physical demo'ing options here...
Deleted b598644
Quote:

so much for gearslutz then
Old 22nd March 2016
I must admit, i bought the JP-08 for my miniliverig, but unfortunately, working with arturias plugin collection STILL is the easier and better sounding way to go with worlds in workflow difference. Had too much hassle with automation to really think of safely including this into my rig and i ended up sampling down a lot of what i created on the JP-08 since it effectively does 4-5 sounds properly and everything else gets kinda fishy to control, especially on the panel itself. I still use it every now and then, but only for stuff that is not being automated live -midi chain for automation in my threads-. I am not very happy with the range of possibilites on the JP-08 and its many quirks. Let´s hope Roland puts in a second round of development into their equipment, because i honestly think it is a rip-off to rely on a community of programmers to offer 3rd party tools for you to actually use your product to the full extent. Programming a patch is a purely hands on experience. both in a good and in a bad way. small pots and no display for frequency values is kind of a manual flight for certain bread and butter patches which require particular frequency ratios. You can find them by ear. on very, very small sliders. LCD screens are not that expensive and i rather have a single rotary encoder with shift functions than a bunch of sliders with a mere centimeter leeway...
Old 13th May 2017
I have the minilogue for about 4 months.

I got the JU-06 and now I'm selling the minilogue and wanting to get another JU-06 or JP-08.

As many said, I found the minilogue sound generic. I spent hours with it trying to create sounds but never convinced me.

The JU-06 instead... "bread and butter".
📝 Reply