The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Thoughts on the moog Minitaur
Old 15th January 2016
Thoughts on the moog Minitaur

I keep thinking about this synth. I don't want anymore synth hardware but this little box keeps coming to mind. I love the vst editor option. How is the sound? Is it really worth it?
Any soft synths that do this little beast and do it well??
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear
Just snagged one. Love it. Deep. Simple. Elegant.
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

I've found nothing really replaces it. I will "think" i get great bass sounds via soft synths, but the second I throw on the minitaur, it's a completely "whoa" moment.... love it.
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

Sounds incredible, one trick pony at bass but it does it excellent.
Old 15th January 2016
Sounds great, and built like a tank, you can't go wrong. No plugins come close. Serious amounts of bass.

Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
Sounds incredible, one trick pony at bass but it does it excellent.
completely agree login, it is a one trick pony, but damn, that trick is so damn good.....

I haven't met anyone who got one that didn't like it, unless they were expecting it to be a full range minimoog or something in which they didn't read the fine print...
Old 15th January 2016
Gear Maniac

how about that early 80s funk synth bass?
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ass_in_gear View Post
I don't do a lot of that myself, but I have definitely been able to go into that territory!
Old 15th January 2016
Amazing little synth. Does very little but indeed incredibly well. I can't get the same sounds out of my Sub 37, the Minitaur sounds much more 'vintage' and instable.

Monark comes a little close but it's not the same.
Old 15th January 2016
Old 15th January 2016
Gear Maniac

Has anyone had a chance to compare the Minitaur soundwise against a Mother-32 as a bass synth? Would a Mother (or two of them) give something comparable for bass? (it has a lot more other potential uses). I have a Sub 37 and love the bass but seem to keep it in the bass zone and as a result not explore out as much as I would like to.
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

I doubt the mother 32, like the subphatty etc will give the same amount of "bass"..... one of the reasons why the minitaur has a key limit (above my pay grade, so sorry if i screw up the explanation), is that the power supply, to maintain stability with that much low end.... would have to be a lot larger etc.... I have Monark, and a subphatty and a Voyager at my disposal, but nothing beats the minitaur for simple low end IMHO, wish it had a noise osc, (although you can input one through the input, sometimes I have used an fm radio walkman tuned to static), and pwm, but for "all your bass belong to us", I don't think anything beats it....

I have made patches similar on the Monark, or Arturia stuff, but the second you start rolling "tape" with it, well, there is just this ephemeral thing....
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

The Mother does more gnarly bass while the Minitaur does way deeper sub bass.

They're both aggressive and powerful but if say the Mother is more the former while the Minitaur is more the later so far as bass goes.

Overall I prefer the sound and flexibility of the Mother.

Note - demoed both own neither.
Old 15th January 2016
Gear Maniac

The Minitaur is the only synth I've had nothing but love for.
Old 15th January 2016
Gear Addict

I sold my little phatty I would sell my Sub37 and Werkstatts, but never my Minitaur.
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

Bottom line is the Minitaur is elite at what it does. I love specialized synths.
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

I'm well interested in one of these. Anyone know any examples online that will melt my brain?
Old 15th January 2016
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ass_in_gear View Post
I've demoed the Minitaur several times. It is PERFECT for early 80s funk synth bass.
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyRayJoeBob View Post
I sold my little phatty I would sell my Sub37 and Werkstatts, but never my Minitaur.
Interesting, I thought the same but recently got a Slim Phatty and compared sounds between the 2 - creating similar settings and I really couldn't hear the difference after making a few adjustments on the Slim using my ears. If you judge the Slim by the presets sure it doesn't compare, but overall I think there isn't much difference and the Sim does way more.
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

The good bits:
Sound
Build
Filters and oscillators.
Cv inputs and audio input.

The bad bits:
Windows drivers are problematic to install and renders the Machine literally useless in a daw via USB.
No midi out socket. So no recording of knob twiddling over midi cables into sequencer. (Which would have softened the blow of the first bad point)
The two above combined can really take the edge off owning a minitaur if you use a windows 8 sequencer.

Soundwise its good, but does it beat my prophet 6, juno 106 for bass? no not really so i think its time to flog it, unless the driver issue gets sorted quickly.

No midi out is inexcusable for any analog gear manufacturer these days and the driver problems are over 2 years old now. If you are on a mac then all works fine via usb and the minitaur becomes a bit of a no brainer.
Old 15th January 2016
Gear Maniac

I've done some extensive ABX testing with the minitaur against a Fender P-bass and, I've gotta say, you CAN hear a difference. I'd go for the real bass for traditional music types and the minitaur if you're more interested in modern electronic genres. Hope this has been of use to you.
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiller View Post

The two above combined can really take the edge off owning a minitaur if you use a windows 8 sequencer.
Ive got a windows 7 sequencer and a windows 10 one. will that give me any edge back ?
Old 15th January 2016
Gear Maniac

I own both a Minitaur and a Mother-32. The bass on the Minitaur has more weight and it sounds deeper to me, even when using only one oscillator. The Mother-32 is capable of some bass sounds, but I think there's no contest against the Minitaur when it comes to bass. The raw oscillators on the Minitaur have more weight.

Both synths will allow different things: the Minitaur oscillators can be set to square or saw and the second oscillator can be tuned thought an octave up/down from the first oscillator, so you can set the two osc an octave apart (or any musical interval), while with the Mother 32 you can only mix between pulse and saw at the same pitch (and you can't slightly detune them one against each other as you would be able to do with the Minitaur), but the Mother 32 has PWM... I didn't try yet to key track the LFO on the Mother-32 and use it as a sub oscillator, but that's an option...
The envelope on the Mother-32 feels limitating to me and I much prefer the Minitaur from this point of view (when talking about the synth straight out of the box; it is very possible to add one or two external envelopes to the Mother-32; I'm in the process of building some for myself).

I can't go more into comparisons because I didn't manage to play much with my Mother-32 yet; but if you're looking for a lot of weight in the low end, my choice would be the Minitaur without any doubt.
Old 16th January 2016
Only downside is it not being full range. But as we have all said it does deep bass amazingly well. And nails the classic 80's funk synth bass easily.

Old 16th January 2016
Lives for gear

It's a fabulous, two-oscillator bass synth based on the circuit from the original Taurus (which had bass pedals) - it's a deep bass synth that will cover your low end for years to come - I love it, i think it's great and it does exactly what it's supposed to do - no sequencer or arpeggiator, just fantastic bass synth sounds.
Old 16th January 2016
Lives for gear

Nothing can do bass like the Minitaur except a Taurus. It's a unique design optimised for deep earth shattering bass. I use mine for left hand bass duties, always love the look on sound engineers faces when I start playing it! Deep!
Old 16th January 2016
Lives for gear

It's the only synth I have ever considered buying two of. Not to use at the same time, but to have a back up in case the one I have dies years from now.
Old 16th January 2016
Lives for gear
I almost sold mine but I'm glad I came to my senses. It just has more weight and power in the low end than anything else I've used.
Old 16th January 2016
Gear Head

my only hardware synth so far. Only takes a few seconds to get that room shaking bass and the digital editor is super handy.

Also having a bass dedicated synth means I can buy polyphonic synths without worrying if they do good bass etc in the future..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search