The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A lil' help
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Head
A lil' help

Hi all,
I am adding an overdub studio to my home and would like some advice on adding "electronic" elements into the mix (pun mildly intended). I'll use pro tools for DAW and is what I use day to day, so it will be at home as well.

Objective: Flexible meets quality of sound meets ease of use meets easy on the wallet. I want to be able to add ear candy, whether it be beeps or a string trio as well as have the ability to create full tracks (drums, synths, soundtracks what ever).

Is reason the end? I like light version for what I have used it for but haven't really dug into it. Also, controllers. The propellerhead site wasnt to helpful on what it supports. Any ideas from the "electro-slutz" on this would be great. Thanks.
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Reason is cool and can get you alot for the money. Basically you get a whole package of MIDI controllable VST's...ie: drum machine, samplers, synths, effects.....

Biggest suggestion though.... use a different DAW for production other than pro tools. From what I have experienced and from what others tell me, if you really want to utilize MIDI control and automation, you will get a ton more out of another DAW that really is designed around the idea of MIDI use.

Not to say it can't be done, and I did hear the newest release of PT did add some functionallity to it, but what i understand is that the MIDI control and automation is somewhat simplified down and clunky to use with the given sequencer.

What do others think?
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Maniac

NOT TO MENTION... you can choose your own hardware schemes when you aren't relying on Pro Tools..... big plus in my book!
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Head
Problem with another DAW is I do 90% of my work on a PT HD rig. I was hoping there would be an easy, yet high quality, way to add the electronic aspect to a PTLE rig. Any other thoughts?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search