The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
convince me andromeda sux
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony666 View Post
I never said that trying to emulate something sounds the same a the real deal? Did I?

The same trick can be used on Andromeda oscillators to get a deeper sound but that still doesn't turn the VCO in a 1960's sounding VCO. It's over simplified to put the difference only in stability. But when you look at oscillator design from the 50's to modern days, VCO temperature compensation and stability played a major role! It led to the succes of the minimoog and later on made synth designers develop DCO's.
gotcha.
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayur_FX View Post
I think the Andromeda sounds pretty good once you turn off those evil Alesis FX that are on every patch. It can be reeeeeeally fiddly to program - the soft-knobs need incredibly tiny movements for certain parameters. Also, it doesn't have a 'vintage vibe' - its oscillators and modulation seem ultra-stable... you won't get that old-skool looseness and drift with this synth.
I have a waldorf MWxt whose knobs are so bloody sensitive it's a major PITA and downer to fiddle with. You'd think someone might take a page out of the "Lexus-feel car interior knobs" school and apply it to synth front panels. "we have the technology"...

...and Waldorf has the premium pricing.
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
One thing about Waldorf synths is they have a nice digital 'boinky' quality. Especially to its arps. The Mod Matrix on those Qs are pretty deep too.
they sure do, but the Q and Q+ has the PPG emulation filter, which is up there with the latest access moog emulation in terms of quality. Not the real thing, but really head and shoulders above the other dreck digital filters in those boxes.

My time spent in-store playing the Q+ convinced me that its level of sheer audacious brutality was something I really needed/wanted. It's leagues beyond the standard Q once you engage the analog filters, but I wonder if you can't just get to the same place with a sherman filterbank or something hung off the Q's outputs, fwiw.

I like the look/layout of the Alesis, and its sound from what i've heard on any given ferry corsten record , and the fact that it's truly analog through 'n through. From what I'm hearing and my brief time spent playing one, it seems it'll take some effort to get a decent sound out of it (doesn't it always though). Your point regarding synths you know vs. synths you must learn is well taken. That's a time commitment I'm getting too old to be able to make anymore, and could tip the balance for me.

v
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixapphire View Post
problem is, no one actually stocks these on the floor anymore.
if you are in southern california i think analoghaven.com does. or at least they list in in the "new gear here" part of their webpage. call b4 u go to make sure i suppose
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuez View Post
if you are in southern california i think analoghaven.com does. or at least they list in in the "new gear here" part of their webpage. call b4 u go to make sure i suppose
haven't been out there for about a year, at which time they did have one. they and novamusik are my favorite retailers of gear. i'm happy they're able to keep a storefront open so one doesn't have to rely exclusively on web sites and mp3's.
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
oh you lucky .... heh
how's the interface? makes sense? the matrix?
I bought a sample cd (that's all I could pay for at that moment LOL)
compressors and eqs are an expensive addiction, and my synths are suffering because of it.
Not sure why I said I won one. dfegad I bought one. The Interface is really nice, most of the main paramters can be accessed from the front and makes sound design hands on. Stuff like the RCOs have are accessed through a menu to change them. The Matrix is the best I've used and everything is lined up right in front of you, so it makes it really easy to mod stuff. You can up to 4 different mods going for every patch.

I know what you mean about the outboard gear. It's a tough call on how to keep a nice balance of synths with outboard. Right now I'm leaning on the synth heavy side, but now I'm balancing more with outboard. I guess that's why we're here at GearSlutZ
Old 27th January 2007
Quote:
Not sure why I said I won one. dfegad I bought one. The Interface is really nice, most of the main paramters can be accessed from the front and makes sound design hands on. Stuff like the RCOs have are accessed through a menu to change them. The Matrix is the best I've used and everything is lined up right in front of you, so it makes it really easy to mod stuff. You can up to 4 different mods going for every patch.

I know what you mean about the outboard gear. It's a tough call on how to keep a nice balance of synths with outboard. Right now I'm leaning on the synth heavy side, but now I'm balancing more with outboard. I guess that's why we're here at GearSlutZ
yeah, I understand, you had to pay, but you won the auction right?
funny about balancing synths and outboard (hope this is not OT) - a musician friend said to me compressors aren't for creative use, they're just compressors. I think amps and eq and compression can change a synth sound very much, so for me it's sort of part of the patch heh

cool about the sunsyn being very easy to program. I need that to go from A to B quick.
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Nut

I had an A6 a couple of years back and wish i'd never sold it. I was bummed by the slow envelope action, i couldn't get the attack of the fat analog I expected, but for the softer more ethereal sounds, it was amazing, and now i wish i had it back! It had a very unique sound of its own and worked in Rock mixes really nice, something thats real hard to get with softsynths.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

ok the topic is 'convince you andromeda sux' right?

so, demo the A6 and make sure you do the following:

1. play only the presets.

2. keep all the effects and tuning turned ON.

3. use the main outputs.

4. don't spend more than 6 minutes on the unit.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

it sucks

i'm not so convincing, huh? actually never heard it in person so, can't really tell ya but i figured i would give it a shot
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

nice try guys... but this has made me want to get one even MORE...

my hands are shaking... i'm reaching for my credit card....

MAKE IT STOP!!!
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

oh i dunno...try turning your head to this bugger one last time.

Old 31st January 2007
Here for the gear

even worse for your credit card tho...
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

ugh... slut overload....

yeah, but, $2k is about the max for my slutty allowance...

sunsyn is $3.5 and i'm afraid to ask about omega 8...
Old 31st January 2007
slutty enough?

an andromeda is quite nice IMO, but if in the position to choose, blind, I'd go sunsyn.
here are some sunsyn clips
http://www.schneidersbuero.de/sounds/Jomox_SunSyn_1.mp3
http://www.schneidersbuero.de/sounds/Jomox_SunSyn_2.mp3
http://www.schneidersbuero.de/sounds/Jomox_SunSyn_3.mp3
http://www.schneidersbuero.de/sounds/Jomox_SunSyn_4.mp3

or this machine which obviously is beyond the realm of the "normal"
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl516 View Post
ok the topic is 'convince you andromeda sux' right?

so, demo the A6 and make sure you do the following:

1. play only the presets.

2. keep all the effects and tuning turned ON.

3. use the main outputs.

4. don't spend more than 6 minutes on the unit.

heh That'll do it!

As with any demos, those sound clips of the Sunsyn give you a taste, but no clips will do any of these analogs justice. They have to be played. So I suggest to the original poster, if you're after one of these analogs, do it You won't regret it.
Old 27th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
heh That'll do it!

As with any demos, those sound clips of the Sunsyn give you a taste, but no clips will do any of these analogs justice. They have to be played. So I suggest to the original poster, if you're after one of these analogs, do it You won't regret it.
i got the a6!!! waiting for it to get here.
Old 27th February 2007
nice one!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search