The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Getting a Virus TI in 2016?
Old 20th March 2019 | Show parent
Deleted b5734b5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post
Do you use the digital output or analogue on the TI?
I use the digital output, but (finally) I'm going to try the analog outs, received today some multicore cables.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b5734b5 View Post
I use the digital output, but (finally) I'm going to try the analog outs, received today some multicore cables.
This is the answer I expected. My understanding is your comparison will change once you use the analogue outs. Let me know if it's closer to the B then
Deleted b5734b5
Quote:
This is the answer I expected. My understanding is your comparison will change once you use the analogue outs. Let me know if it's closer to the B then
Will do
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
best prices for TI i found is 600-650 euro, Polar1 for 850 euro, and as low as 900 for the TIK.
Those are crazy good prices. Especially for the desktop and Polar1.
Old 21st March 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Do you use the digital output or analogue on the TI?
Quote:
i had B and TI2 side by side for almost a year. all analog outputs.

arhitecturally of course B is a subset of TI2 capabilities, but when you load the same B patch into the TI2 - same sound yet they exhibit different character and texture, top end, edge etc. let's say, as if you hooked up one synth to two different effect chains and recording mediums and listened. and this does not change even if you try to offset some parameters to make it closer - because you can't. its a textural difference not parameter range difference.

is it converters, filtering on dacs, code, i don't know, and don't care. maybe it will be too subtle for someone, but noticeable enough for me to realize they excel in somewhat different sonic roles.
Old 21st March 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
i had B and TI2 side by side for almost a year. all analog outputs.

arhitecturally of course B is a subset of TI2 capabilities, but when you load the same B patch into the TI2 - same sound yet they exhibit different character and texture, top end, edge etc. let's say, as if you hooked up one synth to two different effect chains and recording mediums and listened. and this does not change even if you try to offset some parameters to make it closer - because you can't. its a textural difference not parameter range difference.

is it converters, filtering on dacs, code, i don't know, and don't care. maybe it will be too subtle for someone, but noticeable enough for me to realize they excel in somewhat different sonic roles.
Great info, thanks for that comprehensive analysis.
Old 2nd July 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Halo World,

I now own the Virus TI2 Darkstar. I traded my Matrixbrute that I bought for 1200.00 dollars for the TI2 Darktar. Reason? I have another analog synthesizer the Elektron A4 that I like especially it's sequencer. I have no regrets about it at all.. I like the Matrixbrute a lot but when the opportunity arised, I didn't hesistate. I owned the Virus A in 08 and when I traded that for two synths the ION and the RS7000 sequencer I was getting value for two good synths. I realized that it was a mistake doing that because I had no idea that I was missing how good the VIrus A sound was. The Matrixbrute was awesome and I believe one day I'll have it again with the MINIBRUTE 2S.

Now the Darkstar is incredible.. I haven't read the manual but using the VIRus A in the past, it all came back to me. I use a Tracker called RENOISE as my DAW because for the Techno music I make, it's perfect for what I do, "STEP Sequencing."

And that my friends is my last trade.. This is my the setup for years to come.

Virus TI2
Elektron A4
Roland TR8
Roland MX1 mixer(the clock baby yeahh)
Roland TB03

It's minimal but simple. I use the IMAC with my Tracker RENOISE DAW and LOGIC PROX for mixing later.

My computer is basically my sampler now and my fx thanks to Echoboy, NI fx, Valhalla, etc.

There were some problems setting it up but I got it fixed fast but it was a pain though. I updated the OS to 5.17 on the TI2 and installed the software. I opened it up in LOGIC PROX and boy, it was smooooth, so I thought lol.. Until I started experiencing latency.. Then one day? it was gone.

Now I don't use LOGIC for now, I'm not using the TI Software and am using the USB as midi and I like re learning to program on the board. It's not bad at all.. Well, except for that confusing "edit" menu .. Now I'm use to it thanks to muscle memory lol.

BANK A is all initialized.. I create my own sound.. The one thing that I get overwhelmed at is the Matrix.. I wish it has the matrix like the SUb 37 where I can twist a knob and it will remember my modulation and destination. With the software, Matrix is easy to use..

I use the Elektron for bass because analog bass to me just kicks arse because it has beef lol. The VIRUS is great for creating these weird synth fx, short poly synth sounds that I step sequence and those techno rave leads(pump up that lfo/pitch/lfo cutoff/velocity filter cutoff/ a little FM and ring modulator.. Damn, it's freakin dope. Yes, I like softsynths like Alchemy and UHE PRO1/Pro5 and HIVE.. Nothing like using a hardware for me.. It's very psychological but it's that satisfaction that gives me using hardware.. It must be an ego guy thing you know?

Oh, btw, someone hit me up earlier if I want to trade my TI2 for the Moog Subsequent 37. I don't think i'll do it.. I really like the fact that I see the TI2 as a 16 part multi synth with awesome fx.. And? it's my main sound card now.. It's dope.
Old 11th July 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
OMG(Update)

I'm not an editor guy but I'll make an exception.. I dig this new Virus TI2 editor called Virus HC by Mystery Islands. I have the demo and I dig.

(update: I like the the Virus HC editor by Mystery Islands.. I think it's awesome.

I just with it was the TI software that is MIDI only.. I like those big knobs..

Last edited by mpresev; 13th July 2019 at 12:04 AM..
Old 11th September 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Necro this thread just because I want a TI3 and I’ll beat that dead horse until my whining pays off.
Old 11th September 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I would not buy a hardware synth anymore. Especially digital. I think soft synthesis has reached a point, where even analogue vs soft synth can make for a minor difference, especially in an otherwise well-mixed song.

Examples: Repro, Spire, Dune 3, Antidote

The total recallability and multiple instances totally makes soft synths more preferred for me compared to hw. HW can offer a slightly more refined sound out of the box, but I've found lately that using a high-quality soft synth and adding a bit of "warming saturation" can mitigate the difference to me.
Old 11th September 2019
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Everyday no matter what I turn on my Virus Ti2 keyboard and play a bunch of presets, I stand there and shake my head, and with a grin from ear say to myself, damn bro why you looking to buy any new synths, this thing is an absolute monster. One of the key things about this synth is the playability of the keys and the layout of the knobs, I mean it's perfection it really is.
Old 11th September 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Everyday no matter what I turn on my Virus Ti2 keyboard and play a bunch of presets, I stand there and shake my head, and with a grin from ear say to myself, damn bro why you looking to buy any new synths, this thing is an absolute monster. One of the key things about this synth is the playability of the keys and the layout of the knobs, I mean it's perfection it really is.
This.

Nothing to add. Using such a well built synth is pure joy.
Old 5th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Access Virus TI 2 keyboard.
Perfection.
I have bought one September 2020.
Old 6th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsHead View Post
Access Virus TI 2 keyboard.
Perfection.
I have bought one September 2020.
Congrats!!!!

May it bring you many many years of joyous hypersaws.
Old 6th October 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I've come on to Gearslutz for something else and saw this thread back up. I just had a really stressful day. Like one of the most stressful this year. I've spent the last 40 minutes just playing out pads on my TI1. It is the most therapeutic thing for me. They are so nuanced and darkly beautiful. When I despair at what the world is coming to, I come in here and make a composition just with Virus layers sequenced from my MPC. Then I turn it off without saving anything. Which makes it more beautiful.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sach View Post
I've come on to Gearslutz for something else and saw this thread back up. I just had a really stressful day. Like one of the most stressful this year. I've spent the last 40 minutes just playing out pads on my TI1. It is the most therapeutic thing for me.
Nothing like a Virus to make you feel better during a pandemic! I still think it's amazing, even though the TI came out 15 years ago. I hope your day gets better.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sach View Post
I've come on to Gearslutz for something else and saw this thread back up. I just had a really stressful day. Like one of the most stressful this year. I've spent the last 40 minutes just playing out pads on my TI1. It is the most therapeutic thing for me. They are so nuanced and darkly beautiful. When I despair at what the world is coming to, I come in here and make a composition just with Virus layers sequenced from my MPC. Then I turn it off without saving anything. Which makes it more beautiful.
Living in the moment and enjoying a Virus.
A statement few people can relate too.
Enjoy my friend.
Old 5th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Old 6th December 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Not sure if others still have this in their bank (RAM A patch 80 PiterFM AV) ... man it's a gorgeous soft pad, it makes me melt when I play it with soft hands and use a touch of aftertouch..
Old 6th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

I just traveled up to Canada and am eating a 2 week quarantine. I brought a Maschine+ and a Virus TI 2 desktop up with me to help save my sanity.

Just dialed up the PiterFM patch with minor 7 chords on A2 and F2. Pretty sure I could sit here all night doing nothing but listening to filter sweeps. So good, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 7th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Well, as of last night's sales, the TI2 is now sitting in a studio with just an MPC1000 working with it. I guess that says a lot about its relevance in 2020. Other synths can sound better, but none of them are the big beastly workhorses that the TI's are.
Here for the gear

I do hope they release an updated model at some point soon. I know he is focused on amp modeling, but a new Virus with updated processor, sound quality, new TI software interface, more knobby GUI etc. would sell insanely well. I cannot believe that they even still sell the Ti2 at full retail for $2000 desktop and almost $3000 keyboard. There simply is no way those parts cost even remotely close to those prices for over 11 year old technology. I hope they dont just let the brand completely die. Maybe some news next year about the status of the Virus moving forward? They cant just sell the same old DSP synth forever, especially when software synths such as Dune 3 have caught up, and surpassed the sound quality and features of the virus engine.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holofonze View Post
when software synths such as Dune 3 have caught up, and surpassed the sound quality and features of the virus engine.
They have not. I've tried Dune3, it's nothing special. Give me a Virus anyday over it.

Last edited by Synthio; 10th December 2020 at 05:33 PM..
Old 7th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you desire the Virus sound, the closest software form I've found is Viper by Adam Szaboo, but this is PC only.

Adam clearly modelled Viper on the Virus TI and it really does sound extremely similar.

https://www.adamszabo.com/vstplugins/viper/
Old 10th December 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
I want to get a TI 2 desktop but with it being over 10 years old, the worst to happen would be to buy one and then a TI 3 is announced.
Old 11th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymoususer View Post
I want to get a TI 2 desktop but with it being over 10 years old, the worst to happen would be to buy one and then a TI 3 is announced.
Buy used. They’re built like tanks, last forever
Old 11th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holofonze View Post
I do hope they release an updated model at some point soon. I know he is focused on amp modeling, but a new Virus with updated processor, sound quality, new TI software interface, more knobby GUI etc. would sell insanely well. I cannot believe that they even still sell the Ti2 at full retail for $2000 desktop and almost $3000 keyboard. There simply is no way those parts cost even remotely close to those prices for over 11 year old technology. I hope they dont just let the brand completely die. Maybe some news next year about the status of the Virus moving forward? They cant just sell the same old DSP synth forever, especially when software synths such as Dune 3 have caught up, and surpassed the sound quality and features of the virus engine.
Have you ever lifted a Ti2 61 note keyboard..? even a Polar..? they weigh an absolute ton, these are not toys at all. Lot of other digital synths are almost empty inside and weight nothing. Virus is seriously a work of art and worth every penny imo.
Old 12th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The TI 61 definitely isn't light. But from what I recall, the Prophet VS I had way back when was even heavier. Especially when my well-meaning father built me a wooden, metal-trimmed coffin of a case for it. I don't even want to speculate what that it must have weighed in that case. And I'm almost surprised I could carry it around given that I was a 125-pound, bone-skinny thing back then.

But yeah, the Virus TI is undoubtedly the most broadly, practically useful synth I've ever owned. It is its own thing. Even if I had Jupiter 8's and OB-X's and PPG's and all that good stuff in a home studio, I wouldn't stop using the Virus. None of those do what it does.
Old 12th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpresev View Post
OMG(Update)

I'm not an editor guy but I'll make an exception.. I dig this new Virus TI2 editor called Virus HC by Mystery Islands. I have the demo and I dig.

(update: I like the the Virus HC editor by Mystery Islands.. I think it's awesome.
Just wondering how you’re getting along with the Virus HC editor now?
Are you running it on Mac OS X? If so which version? Catalina?
Old 20th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I found a TI 61 last January for 1100. Not the 2. I had not been playing it recently as I was on an acoustic kick, but have been back at it last few days. Just as you say. It is such a wonder.

But I lie. I just wasn't playing the keys. I've been running my $130 Strat through it the whole time. It has 4 or so stomp boxes in there. Great guitar amp.

I only bought it because my beloved DM12 had just a single part. It has been "resting" half the year now. I like to layer the Ti with my little JV1010.

I need to learn to split and layer the TI. I almost never use it with a computer, although it works fine with my macs. I have learned alot about making patches with it, and the DM12 was really good prep. The TI has just incredible range, way beyond the "Virus sound" many mention. It must be the most versatile hardware synth ever made. The only thing it flat out doesn't do is sample.

It's the last thing I would sell, although it would be a tough contest between my AP, Hammond and the TI. If reason prevailed the TI would stay.
📝 Reply