The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
System 1m - dipping toe...
Old 1st January 2016 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
Before you take the expert sleepers plunge do yourself a favor, hop on the expert sleepers forum at muffwigglers.com, post your daw, interface and connectivity options (spdif, adapt etc) and see what "os" the designer has for a recommendation. Spdif has issues depending upon the daw..... Adat is superior.
I will, thanks for the tip. Before I go modular I need to create some space. Which is one reason I had my eye on semi-modular self-contained boxes along the lines of System 1m and Mother 32.

Ultimately and maybe later this year I may start a small modular rig with one each of the key modules to get some sonic versatility. In the mean time I'll learn what I can do with I have already and do a lot of reading, videos and some planning too, to maximise the results and minimise the disappointment.

It's a little exciting when you've a new box with a line of modular io on it to see what it can do and naturally I want to experiment asap. But I'm not quite ready for full modular right today. I might see what I can do in the mean time, with things like LittleBits CV and I'm even thinking to make a couple of simple circuits and experiment, that will get me understanding what is going on and how these things really interact. Breadboard at the ready, just need some free time and some imagination

Once I've had a play around I'll have a better handle on it all.

BTW like the demo of that MMG filter about. It's amazing just how versatile a box or two can be once you start the patch creatively. That's exactly what synths are about for me and makes you realise how inflexible some non-modular boxes are.
Old 13th June 2016
Gear Addict

Yo guys! My forays into this garden of sound design are not even roots, despite the patch cables giving of a different air, my knowledge is is but a bulbous existence. Hankering for roots, it is still only a seed.

I have had a mind blowing weekend with experimentation without asking a single question. Right now, I could do with a little help and I'm also excited about what is around the corner.

I'm curious as to how you would function the setup I currently have a my fingertips.

Modular wise I have the Roland's System 1m, and Arturia's Minibrute, plus there is also a my Moog Minitaur knocking around. I was having an extreme amount of fun patching cables with the System 1m and the Minibrute but have little to no knowledge of what I was actually doing. I was getting sounds and loving it. But I'm curious as to how you guys would wiggle around with the afore mentioned gear.

On top of all that I learnt midi at the weekend! Hooray! I had the following set up blowing my mind. OT >> MX-1 >> TR-8, JU-06 >> JP-08 >> Minitaur. The Minitaur doesn't play the sequenced notes that are set on my JP-08 (not happy about this). I press play on the OT (Octatrack) and it all goes!!!! To the side of this, in sequenced, I was fiddling with the Minibrute and System 1m. But I digress...

If someone were to give me some ideas then I'd be so happy. Also, as I mentioned before, I have no knowledge of modular. Although I think I could understand (and I will check the vid uploaded on this thread) without any fuss as the OT came pretty easily.

So, to conclude fellow music crazers, modular wise;

Minibrute - CV GATE OUT - PITCH OUT (key follow and pitch bend) and GATE OUT.
CV GATE IN - GATE IN, AMP (to VCA),FILTER (to VCF) PITCH (to VCO).

System 1m - let me try from left to right it reads...
(LFO module)
LFO out
OSC 1 SYNC out
OSC 2 SYNC in
RING in
OSC 1 out
OSC 2 out
EXT IN
MIX OUT
(Pitch module)
PITCH ENV in
(Filter module)
ENVELOPE in
ENVELOPE out
LFO in

GATE in
CV in

(Amp module)
ENVELOPE in
ENVELOPE out
OUTPUT L/mono +R ... for stereo

The Minitaur has the following inputs;
PITCH CV
FILTER CV
VOLUME CV
GATE
(Plus MIDI in and an audio in)

I also have the OP-1 that I love and use a lot. I have an iPad to but choose not to mix music and computers hence the Octatrack (OT) purchase, but maybe it could be used to sequence?

Like I said folks experimenting is fun but joy is doubled when it is shared.

I will copy and paste this to other forums to pick other brains.

I'd love to know your thoughts I know I'm more than dipping my toe. I've read every post and I'd love love loooove to hear your thoughts.

Last edited by Darxxxell; 13th June 2016 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: I added what OT means to avoid confusion to any original readers
Old 13th June 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darxxxell View Post
On top of all that I learnt midi at the weekend! Hooray! I had the following set up blowing my mind. OT >> MX-1 >> TR-8, JU-06 >> JP-08 >> Minitaur. The Minitaur doesn't play the sequenced notes that are set on my Minitaur (not happy about this). I press play on the OT and it all goes!!!! To the side of this, in sequenced, I was fiddling with the Minibrute and System 1m. But I digress...

sorry, maybe missed something, what is "OT"?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto View Post
sorry, maybe missed something, what is "OT"?
Octatrack?
Gear Addict

Sorry! Yes, OT means Octatrack
📝 Reply