The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
I want to love the Prophet 6
Old 20th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice Baumel View Post
The P6 is my go-to 'bread-and-butter' poly synth. I prefer it over the OB-6 because it sounds a bit more neutral and less 'vintage' . . .
I don't know what it is about the P6 . . . there's something special about it. Even though I prefer noodling on my OB-6 more, and think the OB-6's filter is more "fun," I continually reach for the P6 first for phat analog leads. I guess that's why I bought both—just couldn't decide on one over the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice Baumel View Post
. . . I will never sell it.
Yah, I think I'll be keeping both until I croak [see below].

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarelch View Post
I, too, want to love the Prophet 6. I've been trying to warm up to it for one and a half years now . . . it's such a narrow spectrum that attracts me, and there's so much I "dislike" about the sound . . .
Yah. As good as the P6 can sound, there are arguably better-sounding polys around (to my ears). Studio Electronics' Omega-8 sounds the business to me as far as analog polys go—I would definitely trade my P6 for a CODE/Omega-8.
Old 20th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
I
Yah. As good as the P6 can sound, there are arguably better-sounding polys around (to my ears). Studio Electronics' Omega-8 sounds the business to me as far as analog polys go—I would definitely trade my P6 for a CODE/Omega-8
Polysynths can be weird. Some of the "best" sounding (big, fat, huge, organic, warm, whatever) can be difficult to fit into a production. Granted, if you are going minimal, this can be very useful.

But, some of the "lesser" synths, the Prophet, Nord Lead, Juno series come to mind, are useful because they almost ALWAYS work. I've always considered the Prophet 5 to be least of the great polys on a sonic level, but infinitely more useful*--only the JP8 seems to work as readily. Sure, the Prophet sound is a bit "generic" (maybe because it was pretty much *the* poly sound for so many years and we are just used to hearing it) but it often results in some pretty startling end products. Long ago, when I was first learning what synth did what, or what band used which synth, and so on, the Prophet just kept coming up time after time after time.

The Prophet 6 pretty much hits that same mark. Infinitely useful. Especially with the true mono mode which can passably approximate a Pro-One.

*note: like the Memorymoog or, now, Moog One... can you imagine trying to fit THAT in a mix? Probably not easily accomplished.
Old 20th July 2019
stk
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarelch View Post
Though, I remember that I never had GAS for the P6. It was a theoretical purchase. Probably the final lesson that theoretical synth purchases are regularily those I later regret.
Much the same story here. Bought it on discount, found that I could only get it to sound smooth and dull (may as well stick with plugins) or kind of harsh. but not in a nice way. Or swirly and cheesy new agey, definitely not my thing.
The best stuff I got out of it were R&S - style dub stabs; but, again, easy enough to get with a plugin.
I probably didn't put enough effort into learning the Sequential way; these days I like things to be immediate.
Old 20th July 2019
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by stk View Post
Much the same story here. Bought it on discount, found that I could only get it to sound smooth and dull (may as well stick with plugins) or kind of harsh. but not in a nice way. Or swirly and cheesy new agey, definitely not my thing.
The best stuff I got out of it were R&S - style dub stabs; but, again, easy enough to get with a plugin.
I probably didn't put enough effort into learning the Sequential way; these days I like things to be immediate.
Yep.. you had way too much going on as most do and it ends up with these sounds.. there are world's of sounds in it you never heard.. best bet to start with a single saw wave and add slowly and carefully. You wouldn't believe the stuff you can get from it but it's not immediate and much larger range then most think.. atleast that's my opinion.. I felt the same way for close to eight months untell it just clicked how it works.. now I can't get away from it.. I feel bad for my other synth's.
Old 20th July 2019
Lives for gear

People still going on about you can’t fit a Moog One or MemoryMoog into a mix

NEVER BEEN AN ISSUE!!
Old 20th July 2019
Kja
Lives for gear
Is true though, the prophet 5 and prophet 6 never really stand out in a room if the best poly's.. but somehow is the one that always seems to work and you can't help but keep coming back to. It always seems to fit and sounds great but never really screams look at me like other greats.
Old 20th July 2019
Lives for gear
I had the p6 for a while and I did like it but when I got the OB6 I couldn’t justify keeping it. Not that it was bad in anyway but I started to love it less and less next to the OB6
Old 20th July 2019
Lives for gear

I’ve had my P6 keyboard for awhile and I liked it a lot. Just got an OB6 desktop recently and now I love the P6 keyboard even more. Both together now, and my synth gas for other things has been significantly diminished.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

J.S. Bach live performance on the Prophet 6

Old 4 weeks ago
stk
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
Yep.. you had way too much going on as most do and it ends up with these sounds.. there are world's of sounds in it you never heard.. best bet to start with a single saw wave and add slowly and carefully. You wouldn't believe the stuff you can get from it but it's not immediate and much larger range then most think.. atleast that's my opinion.. I felt the same way for close to eight months untell it just clicked how it works.. now I can't get away from it.. I feel bad for my other synth's.
Quite possibly. But I sold it anyway in my downsizing
I've come to the conclusion, after 20 odd years of synthing, that I actually prefer characterful monosynths to polys (which is why I now own a couple of MS-20s and a Grandmother, but no hardware polys at all, unless you count the K5000s that is mostly just used as a MIDI keyboard).

That said, I have considered commissioning someone to turn six MS-20 minis into an MS-poly (with a single, full-size UI and proper keyboard). That would be a dream.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I have never been happier with my Prophet 6:
- I only was disappointed during the first months of use, when I was learning more about the synth, and with most of the factory presets sounding a lot too flat and harsh, or drowned in effects, or beyond practical use value, and not remotely as good as the P6 can sound.
- then, like some others here, I learned a lot about proper gain staging of this synth, which means NOT maxing out all volumes, and then can deliver a warmer, more vivid P6 sound
- then I learned more about Polymod filter scaling
- then I learned a lot from well done patches I bought: for my taste and music styles especially from the three great Luke Neptune sound banks, but also from others. Using well done patches as starting point for own tweaking has been a lot of fun and more learning since, to get the most from the P6. In my ears, this analog synth certainly can't be replaced by all the common VST-plugins. For the choice of hardware synths, everything else depends on musical context and style for anyone's preferences.

In the end, after some years of use, the Prophet 6 sounds MUCH better to me, than it seemed immediately after the buy. It has become a clear favorite and a constant go to synth for me besides my Moogs, sitting extremely well in band context and mixes. So I'm a very satisfied P6 user, and would never sell or exchange it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimknopf View Post
It has become a clear favorite and a constant go to synth for me besides my Moogs, sitting extremely well in band context and mixes. So I'm a very satisfied P6 user, and would never sell or exchange it.
The Prophet 6 works great with Moog and Oberheim sounds. They all fit together well.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Meeker View Post
Polysynths can be weird. Some of the "best" sounding (big, fat, huge, organic, warm, whatever) can be difficult to fit into a production. Granted, if you are going minimal, this can be very useful.

But, some of the "lesser" synths, the Prophet, Nord Lead, Juno series come to mind, are useful because they almost ALWAYS work.
That's a great comment. I've noticed this too and it's an antidote to GAS for me. I have an Alpha Juno that doesn't sound too great by itself. I like the sound and it's sleek but it's not an immediately striking OBX or whatever. When I multitrack it everything blends in amazingly well. I have a Boog D which does sound amazing but it's tough to multi track with itself and have everything flow. I make soundtrack style music, so I imagine the difficulties with people doing more complicated stuff.

Most of the Rolands I've played all share that quality. I was doing a lot of reading and listening to 80s Rolands and I'd say its the one thing they all impress me with.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search