The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha Reface.. yes
Old 9th November 2015
Gear Nut

Yamaha Reface.. yes

finally.. FINALLY!! a compact thats built like a tank, sounds amazing and most importantly plays like a dream!!! far away the best small keybed ive ever played thank you yamaha!!

im speaking specifically of the Reface CP
Old 9th November 2015
Gear Guru
really wish they were about a hundo less.

Really want the YC
Old 9th November 2015
Gear Nut

yeah but its worth the money for me, its a controller but its also an instrument, first time ever if you ask me!
Old 9th November 2015
Here for the gear

Yeah, in a few day Ill by this same model as well, the reface CP. Its sound is amazing!
Buuuut Im worried about how to change the midi In channel and store it to use with my hardware setup
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragasssd View Post

far away the best small keybed ive ever played thank you yamaha!!
For me, that's like saying "The least offensive herpes sore I've ever had on my lip! Thank you, random sex partner from 15 years ago!"
Old 9th November 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak View Post
For me, that's like saying "The least offensive herpes sore I've ever had on my lip! Thank you, random sex partner from 15 years ago!"
You met her too?

Small world.
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear
I'm interested in the CP and the DX, although with the names they all I have, I keep have to Googling them still to remind myself which is which. I'm more interested in these than the Roland Boutique at the moment...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lixma View Post
You met her too?

Small world.
hottest girl in the universe, totally worth the herpes.
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

I still don't understand why they even bothered with minikeys instead of releasing them as modules (ala Roland's boutique synths).
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan View Post
I still don't understand why they even bothered with minikeys instead of releasing them as modules (ala Roland's boutique synths).
That's exactly what Yamaha are wondering right now too..
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yeah, if they'd done this I would have already bought a CP.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Because they know people who love big phat analog sounds secretly want a keyboard sized for preteen girls.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Same reason Roland is offering an optional keyboard: so that you have something to play the thing with as you carry it around. That's also why there are speakers and battery power, "Anywhere, anytime".

Roland just changed their mind along the way (originally all the Boutiques had built-in keyboards. Note also that their size was also calculated to be "the size of an easy-to-carry laptop.") and made that side of things optional.

So the real question is why are manufacturers (Yamaha, Roland, Korg, Novation) bothering with making small, portable, pick up and play things, instead of studio stuff? The answer, the buzzword, the alleged next big thing is "mobile musicians", so expect more tiny gadgets
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
its a controller but its also an instrument, first time ever if you ask me!
I am not even sure it is what you describe. Might be for you.

But first time ever? What are you smoking, buddy?
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

I messed w/ a CP yesterday. Honestly, not impressed with either the Rhodes or Wurlie. The bark and the dynamics I can get from the real things just wasn't there for me or maybe I just couldn't press the mini keys down to get some actual dynamics in playing.

But, if it works for you, good on ya. They're priced cheap and I did actually like the effects on the CP - adds a good bit to the sound.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorktop View Post
Because they know people who love big phat analog sounds secretly want a keyboard sized for preteen girls.
I love how no one at GS considers that the ReFace line might have been made for women. According to the 2013 NAMM report, world wide more women than men buy and play keyboards.
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

After being for kids, now they're for women. Next stop is old people too shrivel to handle a real keyboard, and finally cats because cats.

To take the idea more seriously, I'm curious: if they represent such a large market then why aren't there more keyboards specifically for them? Unless I've missed them (there are a lot of keyboards I don't pay much attention to) they're not out there. Gender-adapted instruments in general is a new idea to me, beyond maybe very pink toy keyboards.

The only time I've heard something synth and sex-related had to do with some women complaining about the weight of larger keyboards making them hard to carry, or something like that, but I don't think women were the only one to complain about that.

Also, if minikeys are better for women, and more women than men buy and play keyboards, shouldn't most keyboards have minikeys? Are full-size keyboards a thing feminists should fight against?
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
After being for kids, now they're for women. Next stop is old people too shrivel to handle a real keyboard, and finally cats because cats.

To take the idea more seriously, I'm curious: if they represent such a large market then why aren't there more keyboards specifically for them? Unless I've missed them (there are a lot of keyboards I don't pay much attention to) they're not out there. Gender-adapted instruments in general is a new idea to me, beyond maybe very pink toy keyboards.

The only time I've heard something synth and sex-related had to do with some women complaining about the weight of larger keyboards making them hard to carry, or something like that, but I don't think women were the only one to complain about that.

Also, if minikeys are better for women, and more women than men buy and play keyboards, shouldn't most keyboards have minikeys? Are full-size keyboards a thing feminists should fight against?
Hahaha. No.
The NAMM report is all about possible markets, so they have some information about purchases related to country, age, gender.

Females are more likely than men to buy pianos and organs. 2/3rds of acoustic guitar purchases are made by males. Acoustic guitars, ukes, and harmonicas all sell well. I think portability might have something to do with that. I think Yamaha wanted to build instruments that would broaden the idea of a personal keyboard instrument. Something like a guitar that you bring along with you, but also something that you feel is "your instrument" and is made to last.

I have no information that Yamaha designed these with females in mind, but after reading the report it wouldn't surprise me. I was just laughing at the fact that the idea hadn't been considered.
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

i picked up the cs and love it. hater's gonna hate i guess. considering the dx now actually.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljefe View Post
I love how no one at GS considers that the ReFace line might have been made for women. According to the 2013 NAMM report, world wide more women than men buy and play keyboards.
Hot damn, that's the best news all day.
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

A few weeks ago, I was in Denver and stopped by the Guitar Center. They had the CS and CP. The CP sounded great! I then moved over and played a few notes on the CS when an employee informed me that it had just sold, so I never really got to evaluate it. I totally agree with you on the build quality - very nice indeed.
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

My favorite demo vid of the reface line:
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
finally.. FINALLY!! a compact thats built like a tank, sounds amazing and most importantly plays like a dream!!! far away the best small keybed ive ever played thank you yamaha!!

im speaking specifically of the Reface CP
Sales of the Reface must be really bad to resort to shill posting...
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post
not everyone who is happy with a thing they've bought that is generally considered a non desirable product is a shill :P
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

I'm really happy with my Reface DX. Made many sounds I've never heard before.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post
Maybe take a bit more time to look up the members previous posting history before crying shill. It's pretty unhelpful and offensive to accuse people of such things.
Lives for gear
Quote:
To take the idea more seriously, I'm curious: if they represent such a large market then why aren't there more keyboards specifically for them? Unless I've missed them (there are a lot of keyboards I don't pay much attention to) they're not out there.
How would you make them more for women without being blatantly sexist? Music and instruments are tailor made for equality. You can't put a foundation compartment in a synth or include a Ribbon controller/nail file to try to increase sales. Dildo Beam anyone?
Lives for gear

Quote:
The answer, the buzzword, the alleged next big thing is "mobile musicians"
Yeah, I write my best stuff while running from police.
Old 10th November 2015
Lives for gear
geezus I swear I think it's awesome that there is more available than just the products that are in the $2000 and greater category.

I'm absolutely thrilled that there are products that are under $500 that are useful and fun even if they aren't the things we would lust after most. For me they really add something despite the small format and limited features.

When I think back about how the SH101 and TB303 were $495 and $395 new and certainly weren't the highly desired gear of the day.. I mean god they are built like plastic toys and yet here we are. Any way I have some pretty nice gear, I'm not really wanting for much and yet I can totally see picking up the CP at some point. It's look kinda fun. For that matter so does the OP1 and it's even more money and more plastic.

Last edited by syzygywell; 10th November 2015 at 02:38 PM..
Old 10th November 2015
Lives for gear

I've been using the Reface CP for about three weeks and it's been a mostly positive experience. For what it is, it's great just to be able to pull a playable keyboard out of my suitcase or backpack and jam on the spot with relatives or friends or just work on some music on the go without having to fuss with stands, amps, or plugs if I don't need them. If I'm really in the mood for a fuller experience then I'll use it as a module and connect a hammer action keyboard and a real tube amp or perhaps my Yamaha rotary amp. That flexibilty is nice to have and something I felt was missing with the Nord Electro.

My take on mini keys is neutral. They are there if you need them and you don't have to touch them if you don't want to. As far as the key feel goes I'll echo Wozniak's sentiments and say it's like driving the second best Chevette in my small hometown. It's not horrible, but it's not terrific either but better than any other set of mini keys I've played. FWIW I don't find the skinnier keys all that much of a burden.

I've been able to coax some interesting unpiano sounds from the CP. Even a modest amount of distortion with the Clavi ekes out guitar-like tones. Throw on some of the built in trem and reverb and it's instant Ventures (on a mini keyboard). The 'analog' and digital delays have some weird glitchy tones when you push the extreme ends of the feedback and time controls -- not too surprising considering that most emulations will cover the middle sweet spots well but fall apart in the areas where the real things (especially tape echoes) give up the goods. Spend the money and go for a Strymon offering (el Cap, Deca) if you really must have more authentic tape delay sounds. There's plenty of hidden gems on the CP and the straightforward layout entices you to experiment. I can't help but tweak those knobs. A nice simple UI with no menu diving is a refreshing change.

My first piano was a Rhodes Mark I. I learned all my keyboarding skills and rudiments of music on that thing until my Mother complained that she wanted a piano that could double as furniture and away the Rhodes went to be replaced by a generic acoustic piano. While I've become less picky over the years about how a keyboard should feel (keeping in mind an electromechnical keyboard is completely different from an acoustic keyboard) I've never been satisfied with how the sound of those early-mid 70's Rhodes has been reproduced -- either by sampling or digital modelling. I've come to the realization that I've been chasing *that* particular Rhodes from my childhood -- whether it's a certain sound or perhaps my idealized memories of that sound I'm uncertain. In this respect the Reface CP isn't really that much different than the Nord Electro it's replacing. For the people around me who want to hear a Rhodes sound it's perfectly adequite and that's really the important thing.
📝 Reply