The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha Reface.. yes
Old 16th November 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

For discussion then -- if someone was primarily looking for organ sounds and wanted something that sounded fairly close to the originals and has a good amount of realtime controls (i.e. drawbars, leslie type controls, percussion, etc) and wanted it in a fairly compact package, what would be their options?

I noticed in the YC manual the synthesis type was listed as AWM. Does that mean other Yamaha modules have the same/similar selection of organ sounds?

Is there a better option from another manufacturer that is not a full sized 61 (or more) keyboard format but still offers good realtime control?

For me personally, I have enough controller keybeds sitting around. A keyboard-less YC would be the ideal form factor for me, but I'm willing to entertain others.

I used to own a real B3+122 Leslie and had a couple of Farfisas back in the day, but I don't have the room for all that now. Same reason I have a Memotron rack versus the M400+6 tape frames I used to own.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
I'll add CS-01
Honorable mention: DX100
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post

What's the price on the current and next-to-current Nord Electros? $2500 US for the 5D?
Sure. Find the highest priced one and use that as an example.

The 73-key Nord Electro 4 SW73 can be purchased brand new for $1699. Maybe cheaper. I didn't look too hard.

Nord Electro 4 SW73 73-Key Performance Keyboard | KraftMUSIC.com

A used one just sold next to me at Rogue Music for $1200.

Quote:

The piano and organ refaces combined aren't even in the same league of product as Clavia's offerings. Not a very fair comparison at all.
I didn't pull the Nord comparison out of my ass. The OP stated that he went in for the Nord and thought he might get the ReFaces instead. I thought that wasn't a very good idea.

Quote:

The Refaces aren't your cuppa. We get that, but do you have to do a driveby of every Reface thread to get your point across about a product you aren't going to buy?
I don't know. Do you have to quote me in every thread where I'm not addressing you because you don't like my posting style? Sure seems like it.
Lives for gear

This is the second thread in a week that sounds like an promotional advertisement thread for the Yamaha Reface.

The other one was this one:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...eface-yes.html

If this is a new strategy by Yamaha to increase sales of the Reface then it's starting get quite annoying (and I think it's breaching GS rules too).
Lives for gear

i had the cs and really liked it. it didnt cover an new ground in my arsenal though as everything else i have is a subtractive synth so i traded it in for the dx. dont like the menu system, but the pros outweigh the cons. i have no regrets about buying either and would solidly recommend them if asked my opinion.

yeah, theyre pricer than other options of similar instruments, but you arent forced to buy one. some people would rather buy a lexus than a comparably equipped toyota. so what? it isnt your money that we are spending, so the price should be arbitrary. i like my reface, and would buy another one if it went missing.
Old 17th November 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post
This is the second thread in a week that sounds like an promotional advertisement thread for the Yamaha Reface.

If this is a new strategy by Yamaha to increase sales of the Reface then it's starting get quite annoying (and I think it's breaching GS rules too).
I am pretty sure Yamaha aren't paying complete anonymous nobodies to post on a forum with an absolutely insignificant population when it comes to a company like Yamaha adversizing. That wouldn't be a good use of their time or money.

I love my reface dx and Yamaha hasn't paid me anything. Though, I'd be happy if they did.
Lives for gear

Quote:

probably scared of roland right now (justifiably so id say). lol
Quote:

Yes and you had the same comment in that thread too.

Given that the OP has been on here for 5+ years, I'm gonna go on a limb and guess that isn't true.

Unless Yamaha just started their master plan 5+ years ago and this poster has been an active member on here all this time just to post this thread.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotsVsChildren View Post
Unless Yamaha just started their master plan 5+ years ago and this poster has been an active member on here all this time just to post this thread.
It's common practice for most large companies (in this case it doesn't have to be Yamaha, it could also be some large instrument retailer that sells Refaces and is sitting on a large stock) to create many 'sock-puppet' accounts on relevant forums for future use for promoting their products or doing positive PR for their company in a stealthy way (i.e. pretending to be normal users that praise their products).
Quote:
It's common practice for most large companies (in this case it doesn't have to be Yamaha, it could also be some large instrument retailer that sells Refaces and is sitting on a large stock) to create many 'sock-puppet' accounts on relevant forums for future use for promoting their products or doing positive PR for their company in a stealthy way (i.e. pretending to be normal users that praise their products).
Well, I'm a big fan of my Reface. Does that make me a shill as well? Is it your position that nobody is capable of giving this product line honest praise? I really don't get the point in accusing people of being shills. In fact it's really rather rude.
Lives for gear

Quote:
You all caught me. I've been a Yamaha implant since 2002.

Over the years, I've had to sell my CS-80, CS-15, CS-30, DX-1, VL-1, TG-77, and E-1010 just to maintain apparent impartiality.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotsVsChildren View Post
Is it your position that nobody is capable of giving this product line honest praise? I really don't get the point in accusing people of being shills. In fact it's really rather rude.
There is a Yamaha Reface thread for that:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...countdown.html

We don't need a new Reface praising thread every week when there is already a dedicated thread for it, just post in there and nobody will complain.
That's what the GS posting rules say too.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Could just as well state that some are sock-puppet accounts for their competitors while you are at it.

Trust no one then?

A company that has the foresight to create shill accounts on forums years in advance, making thousands of "me too" posts in preparation for the day they have wharehouses full of some unsold turkey product they need to unload.

Screw S.P.E.C.T.R.E., a bunch of guys this cunning and diabolical will RULE THE WORLD! Muahahah!!!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds like a highly inefficient marketing ploy -- I would fire any marketing people coming up with such a stupid idea.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
Sounds like a highly inefficient marketing ploy -- I would fire any marketing people coming up with such a stupid idea.
Lol. You'll be firing several thousands of people across every industry. In fact even countries sponsor this type of thing...hello China, N. Korea, Russia.

You new to the internet? Lol.
I played with the CS version for about an hour and I was pretty impressed by it. The sounds are good, and it's a very fun immediate interface. I'm not a huge fan of patch memory and menu diving, I prefer a more tactile style synth (first ever synth was a Moog Opus 3). The synth was capable of quite an array of sounds... more than I expected. I'm seriously considering the purchase, it's one of my favorite that I auditioned this year, and I've tried a bunch (below the $1,000.00 price point). I'm not much of a keys player, I use sequencers, but I like having keys handy, so I can try out a few different riffs, or work on counter-melody. That being said, they keys felt fine to me, and I've got pretty heavy hands.
I never tried the Piano or Organ models, as I'm not a keys player and I really don't like the sound of organs. Someone was jamming on the CP while I was there, it sounded pretty good, I'm not sure what EP he was using, but it sounding like something the Sonics would have used
Anyway, don't knock it till you try it. I was pleasantly surprised by the CS
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
Lol. You'll be firing several thousands of people across every industry. In fact even countries sponsor this type of thing...hello China, N. Korea, Russia.

Even if companies did that, there's the assumption that anything on the internet is to be blindly trusted.

So who gets hurt by this type of marketing? The retailers. You think Sweetwater is excited about a bunch of sheep from the internet ordering Refaces, finding out they are terrible and then returning them all? So is it good business for a company to hurt the people that sell and distribute and are the first line of defense for their products?

The internet is a pastime; a hobby; a source of amusement and information aggregation. You still need to think and research, and decide for yourself.

Then again, how many threads get started here because people can't figure out how to use Google?

EDIT - I'm guessing my legitimate question to actual users of other products will be going unanswered here...
EDIT 2 - the other thread has already dropped to page 5 - there's no way anyone's going to bother to dig back that far; much easier to simply post again on this new and fresh thread.

Last edited by oldgearguy; 17th November 2015 at 01:14 AM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post

Yes I'm new to Internet, only had a Usenet email address since 1984 -- the ones where we had to add paths to email servers to find the final target email server and when we had to compile and port all the code to get the email services working.

Anyho, you have to make a const analysis to figure out that even with the salary levels in Russia this is extremely unprofitable as a marketing tool.
Lives for gear

cc

Last edited by AuldLangSine; 13th January 2016 at 01:14 AM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldLangSine View Post
We just knew that something good had to come from the generation-long global recession.
Yes either that or then for each new generation of keyboard players, their fingers have shrunk.
No, I don't work for Yamaha. (Sometimes I wonder why I even post on this silly site. I should get a life.) If I did, I wouldn't wait until post number 511 to post something about them. I just happened to like the Reface and thought I'd share my observations. They could find a home in almost anyone's keyboard rig and are probably overlooked by a lot of musicians like me who don't have a lot of Yamaha love.

I know Nord's are very popular, but they don't blow me away and I've managed to avoid them until now. I'm not terribly impressed with their feature set or by the overall sound - they look beautiful though. I will say I like the sound of the E5 much more than the previous versions I've tried. It's a keyboard I need to buy more than I want to buy.

If I decided to buy them - which I haven't - I would save more than $1,000 over an Electro 5D. (I want a keyboard that splits if I'm going to pay over $2,000 for it.) I think that my other 15 keyboard synths and samplers should be able to handle the rest. I don't really feel like spending $2,500 for a good organ and electric piano. The Refaces are super portable and, forgive me, sound 99% as good as the Nord, if not as good.

I'll probably start with the CP. The Nord is great, but I only need a few good sounds, not $2K worth. I can put the CP on top of my synth and play it, and MIDI it to the synth when I want the full size keyboard. (Now I can even do 'unplugged' songs!) I also can keep my beloved first generation CX3, which I would have otherwise sold along with my RD200 to get the Nord.

Last edited by Helmey; 17th November 2015 at 02:58 AM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmey View Post
No, I don't work for Yamaha. (Sometimes I wonder why I even post on this silly site. I should get a life.) I just happened to like the Reface and thought I'd share my observations. They could find a home in almost anyone's keyboard rig and are probably overlooked by a lot of musicians like me who don't have a lot of Yamaha love.

I know Nord's are very popular, but they don't blow me away and I've managed to avoid them until now. I'm not terribly impressed with their feature set or by the overall sound - they look beautiful though. I will say I like the sound of the E5 much more than the previous versions I've tried. It's a keyboard I need to buy more than I want to buy.

If I decided to buy them - which I haven't - I would save more than $1,000 over an Electro 5D. (I want a keyboard that splits if I'm going to pay over $2,000 for it.) I think that my other 15 keyboard synths and samplers should be able to handle the rest. I don't really feel like spending $2,500 for a good organ and electric piano. The Refaces are super portable and, forgive me, sound 99% as good as the Nord, if not as good.

I'll probably start with the CP. The Nord is great, but I only need a few good sounds, not $2K worth. I can put the CP on top of my synth and play it, and MIDI it to the synth when I want the full size keyboard. (Now I can even do 'unplugged' songs!) I also can keep my beloved first generation CX3, which I would have otherwise sold along with my RD200 to get the Nord.
Like I say - I've been in the same position and agree with you - that's why I sold my Nord and I've been considering these as expander modules - ignore the stupid stuff
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's common practice for most large companies (in this case it doesn't have to be Yamaha
In my own experience it's standard for large corporations to issue standard operating procedures that specifically exclude this kind of autonomous marketeering to ensure corporate compliance and avoid rogue behaviour.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz View Post
Like I say - I've been in the same position and agree with you - that's why I sold my Nord and I've been considering these as expander modules - ignore the stupid stuff
This is exactly what I've done with my CP and I'm not missing the Nord as much as I thought I would (never really used the NE2 for it's organs anyway).

The real problem in threads like these is that some contributors can't envision a use case beyond their own needs and wants. It's easy enough to vote with their dollar and not buy them and move onto more suitable products, and a further few aren't satisfied with their non-purchase and expend extra time and energy going out of their way to make their displeasure known. These forums are a funny animal sometimes.
Lives for gear

Quote:
In my own experience it's standard for large corporations to issue standard operating procedures that specifically exclude this kind of autonomous marketeering to ensure corporate compliance and avoid rogue behaviour.
It's not "rogue behavior" that Tux is talking about.

I have also absolutely encountered Roland shills on this site.

And I like Roland.

But this thread may be legit. I don't know.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Tell that to Amazon who deal with fake reviews, or Youtube and Soundcloud and other with their fake views, likes, and such. Tell that to the fake follows, and the bot accounts who swear they are a nubile young but legal girl who is hot and just happens to be in your area. Tell that to the fake job ads designed to suck in your personal information to be sold later. Tell that to the "car fans" on car forums who are actually employees of marketing companies paid to pump up interest in said company's products. The list goes on and on.
Lives for gear

Wait a sec - are you trying to tell me that salesmen have been known to be economical with the truth??? My goodness - next thing you know someone will be claiming that there exists such things as corporate espionage or the like.....madness I tell thee, ludicrous suggestions!
Lives for gear

I think they are cool sounding and would not be too proud to own one for sure...but for $500 apiece I start to expect a little more out of my keys... If they made a small stage electro (49 or 61 keys) with the combined sound sets and interfaces of each Reface, at a reasonable price...I would consider it.
Old 18th November 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
I think they are cool sounding and would not be too proud to own one for sure...but for $500 apiece I start to expect a little more out of my keys... If they made a small stage electro (49 or 61 keys) with the combined sound sets and interfaces of each Reface, at a reasonable price...I would consider it.
More competition in that $1000-1500 range is always good. Nord's had the run of the place for so long they now push out a new electro iteration every year or two and it's just an incremental upgrade over the last -- the 5D's big claim is an OLED screen and more sample memory. I don't hear much noise about the Korg SV-1 either.

A sub-$1000 keyboardless EP/Organ module (with maybe the CS and DX engines in there) would be an instabuy for me.
Old 18th November 2015
Gear Nut

I am surprised how eager people are to justify calling other forum posters shills, even without any evidence besides their general enthusiasm.

Pretty rude thing to call someone without any real justification besides "hey some other companies do this stuff sometimes."
📝 Reply