The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New product rumour: Everyone is selling off their KorgPoly 61 and poly 800
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu77 View Post
I'm seeing stacks of these synths appear on the second hand market in Australia lately, and I'm wondering what they know that I don't?

Could Korg have a remake of the Polysix on the horizon?
No Christmas is coming up and all the smart people are selling their crap gear so they can ask Santa to leave a Prophet 6 under the tree as they need to have that empty space in their stand filled by something new and exciting.
As if these two synths weren't exciting enough
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

had both both are sh*t. i dont get this vintage hype

anyways, just leaked here is the new korg ultra mini key paper synth (very cost effective to manufacture = makes a lot of profits!!!):

Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
the Australians (why they would get inside info from Korg about new products on the horizon is beyond me)
Timezone innit bruv
Old 10th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic92 View Post
had both both are sh*t. i dont get this vintage hype

anyways, just leaked here is the new korg ultra mini key paper synth (very cost effective to manufacture = makes a lot of profits!!!):

Don't tell Korg I told you this but I got a chance to try it...and it sounds a bit thin.
Old 10th November 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post

The only reason I can see for buying something vintage at this point is because you're a collector.
You damn well know about all the fine points. This is Gear Slutz. People can tear you a new @$$hole for such comments.

And sure then there's the hip and the hot-hot heat. So many people have a fire under their @$$ chasing the latest analog fad.

When it comes down to it, you gotta just hope that you're just plain cool enough to just be in the right place, with the right sound, and just stumble upon the right equipment, including the right vintage.
Old 10th November 2015
Ksp
Lives for gear

after a korg poly 800 mk2 if anyone has one here , one mains ****e is another mans gold as they say , well bronze maybe
Old 10th November 2015
Lives for gear

The used Korg gear selling in Australia isn't that old, we get our stuff here so far after you guys in the US/UK, the products are usually superceded by then. We are patient people here ...

I might sell my EX-800 .... hmmm
Old 10th November 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
The MS-20 is my all time favourite synth, and I just didn't feel the mini measured up, I think because I prefer the older beat up sound. But I do need to spend some quality time with one.

This is the exact same reason I'm not picky about the boutiques, or the odyssey, I don't have a special reference point. In fact I'm only now discovering some of my favourite old sounds off records I grew up with, realising they were prophet 5 or Jupiter 8 sounds.
Well we are all different I know but I don't think you can fault the mini really once you get involved with it, I've owned the OG in the past and while there may be minute differences it's plenty dirty enough, maybe takes a bit more digging, the main difference I've found is in the signal processor.

<snip - we have female members too, leave the playground talk please>

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 11th November 2015 at 12:29 AM..
Old 10th November 2015
Gear Guru

The new Oddy is just heaps of fun to play with. Really would like the black and orange one.
Old 10th November 2015
Gear Maniac
wasn't the poly 61 a digital synth? - a friend of mine back in the late 80s/early 90s had one and i learned how to program it - i never felt the interface was bad at all - and being able to modulate the pulse width with the joystick always gave an interesting sound

they were still cheap awhile ago, but now they seem to be going for 599, which seems awfully high - it's good limited vintage, but not great vintage
Old 11th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy Rex View Post
You damn well know about all the fine points. This is Gear Slutz. People can tear you a new @$$hole for such comments.
This is indeed scary =)))))
Old 11th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid termite View Post
wasn't the poly 61 a digital synth? - a friend of mine back in the late 80s/early 90s had one and i learned how to program it - i never felt the interface was bad at all - and being able to modulate the pulse width with the joystick always gave an interesting sound

they were still cheap awhile ago, but now they seem to be going for 599, which seems awfully high - it's good limited vintage, but not great vintage
No, they were DCO analogue.

I love mine - modded it years ago to give the filter and rez a knob of their own ... the basic 7 rez settings available through the digital interface were crap!

It's got a full six voices, six envelopes and six filters. It's a nasty, evil beast.
Old 11th November 2015
Lives for gear

Poly 800s are pretty cool.. If you're looking for a cheap moog source you ain't going to get it and you're not seeing the weird and cheap synths for what they are..

Yeah they're poor man's entry level synths but those quirks and limitations can be cool for some.

Honestly if you handed me a poly 800 right now I wouldn't say no. I've already owned and or modded about 10 of them.
Old 11th November 2015
Ksp
Lives for gear

biggest problem with the poly 800's is i found every single one i owned was very unreliable or they just stopped working , key triggers go and you try and clean or repair and they still dont work , the delays go on the mk2 i found also , i think the ex800 is probably the best if you actually want one that works for more than 6 weeks , i love them though or the character for some things but the dw6000 i think can replace one pretty much and they seem to be built better but still have that plastic korg sound.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
hahaha yes

I grew up with 80's poly synths, and my current hardware synth collection includes Moog, Korg, Roland and Novation ... so I do get the "need" for analog synths ...

But seriously - there is a point where the problems and liabilities of vintage hardware vs the vanishingly small improvements in sound quality compared to plugins tip the balance in favor of plugins.
Plugin = Cancer

DO YOU SUPPORT CANCER!?!?!?!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

plugins don’t come with a physical instrument designed to play them, their user interface is a mouse and a keyboard. i cannot work that way. i need a real instrument in my hands
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
Plugin = Cancer

DO YOU SUPPORT CANCER!?!?!?!
Do you support necrosis?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddever View Post
Do you support necrosis?
It was a joke....
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
plugins don’t come with a physical instrument designed to play them, their user interface is a mouse and a keyboard. i cannot work that way. i need a real instrument in my hands
Your Machinedrum wishes it had a mouse and keyboard.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Digital Controlled Oscillators made polyphonic synths happen.
That is not true, because the bulk of vintage polys used VCOs, e.g.

Yamaha CS-40. 60, 80
Yamaha GX-1
Oberheim 4VS / 8VS
Oberheim OB8, OBX, OBXA
Most Prophets from the 70s and early 80s
Korg Trident polysynth section.
Korg Polysix
MemoryMoog,
Rhodes Chroma series
Roland Jupiter 4 and 8

There are probably others that I can’t remember off the top of my head, and I haven’t mentioned any of several current VCO polys.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search