The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Engine, Carbon, Pyramid... which sequencer?
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

I have an MPC2000XL with CF card reader, and it does everything I need and then some as a sequencer.
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
Question for the Engine/Pyramid owners: does the quantization happen in real-time when recording live/loop style? i.e. if you have your sequencer configured MIDI In/Out to your poly (any poly) In/Out, and play a phrase on your keyboard, do you "hear" the now-quantized phrase, or do you only hear it after the phrase has been recorded and played back on the next loop iteration?
The Pyramid is unquantized if you record midi directly in. You can add the Quantizer FX to quantize your recordings. Personally, I prefer this, as it forces me to tighten up my playing but also doesn’t force me into rigid quantization like you have with most step sequencers.
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
The Pyramid is unquantized if you record midi directly in. You can add the Quantizer FX to quantize your recordings. Personally, I prefer this, as it forces me to tighten up my playing but also doesn’t force me into rigid quantization like you have with most step sequencers.
Can you run the Quantize FX in real-time, while you're recording, so that what you're hearing immediately is the quantized version of your playing?
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
Can you run the Quantize FX in real-time, while you're recording, so that what you're hearing immediately is the quantized version of your playing?
I’d also be curious to know the answer to this.
Old 4th December 2018
Lives for gear
Probably already covered here but is it possible to record longer patterns on the Pyramid than 64 steps?
If so how long can a pattern be?
Old 4th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog8 View Post
Probably already covered here but is it possible to record longer patterns on the Pyramid than 64 steps?
If so how long can a pattern be?
Yes, the max length for a pattern is quite long at 384 bars. At 4/4, that's 6,144 sixteenth-note steps if my math is right.
Old 27th May 2019
Lives for gear
Curious to know who here has a lot of sequencer experience, particularly when it comes to finishing tunes. I think a lot of these sequencers are live/jam friendly: get some loops going, maybe transpose/mute, but maybe not a DAW replacement in that regard.

Would love to hear from Deluge/Cirklon/Pyramid users who have switched teams too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Hz View Post
Yeh you are right, there is no best anything in music. I guess my point was buy the thing that you think is going to do it for you, then stick with it and really learn it, and hopefully get decades of use out of it, rather than chopping and changing all the time.
No best sequencer? Yes, there is a sequencer that does everything I've read about in this thread...you may have heard of it, the MPC 1000...cost you...F^% all.

I really don't get you guys...I see this same stuff cried over again and again...

"Waaah! Not enough CV...Waaah! The MIDI is bunk...Waaaa! It won't write songs for me.."

Just what exactly do you expect a sequencer to DO for you? Prostate massage via trigger out? What?

And why you all REFUSE to use an MPC 1000....6 CV outs for any purpose (yeah it does) MIDI anything...like ANYTHING, what could you want to do with MIDI that an MPC 1000 couldn't do? At least in terms of a sequencer...

For songs and arrangments, you can do anything....ANYTHING....work any way you want, improvise and jam with your sequences via a classic interface that gives you both velocity and aftertouch....Improvise, build up a track live using multiple methods...

...I'm starting to think it must just be because it's OLD GEAR...and you all want to buy NEW STUFF.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
No best sequencer? Yes, there is a sequencer that does everything I've read about in this thread...you may have heard of it, the MPC 1000...cost you...F^% all.

I really don't get you guys...I see this same stuff cried over again and again...

"Waaah! Not enough CV...Waaah! The MIDI is bunk...Waaaa! It won't write songs for me.."

Just what exactly do you expect a sequencer to DO for you? Prostate massage via trigger out? What?

And why you all REFUSE to use an MPC 1000....6 CV outs for any purpose (yeah it does) MIDI anything...like ANYTHING, what could you want to do with MIDI that an MPC 1000 couldn't do? At least in terms of a sequencer...

For songs and arrangments, you can do anything....ANYTHING....work any way you want, improvise and jam with your sequences via a classic interface that gives you both velocity and aftertouch....Improvise, build up a track live using multiple methods...

...I'm starting to think it must just be because it's OLD GEAR...and you all want to buy NEW STUFF.
Oh, come on. This is disingenuous and you know it. Not all of it (I mean, sure, it’s still certainly a solid midi sequencer and I’m not going to argue against that), but the CV sequencing part certainly is. Yes, you can send out samples with sharp transients to act as trigs/gates, but that’s not quite the same as accurate 0-10v or -5 to +5 pitch or modulation CV, and it doesn’t have DC outs to allow for that. You may be able to use it to send trigs, or clock to a modular sequencer, but that’s not the same thing.

Beyond that...like I said, it’s a solid sequencer. It’s also very much a decade and a half old specialized computer, and it definitely seemed like it was showing its age when I had one a few years ago in regards to workflow. It’s fantastic that it works for you so well and so many others, but it’s comical that you’d assert that the only reason people aren’t buying 1Ks by the truckload is because they only want new stuff and won’t realize that the sequencer of their dreams has been depreciating in value for over a decade. You certainly can do the vast majority of the things people have mentioned here on the 1000...it’s a question of if the workflow it demands actually works for you.

I could be wrong, of course...maybe I missed the prostrate massage via trigger when I owned one.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Oh, come on. This is disingenuous and you know it. Not all of it (I mean, sure, it’s still certainly a solid midi sequencer and I’m not going to argue against that), but the CV sequencing part certainly is. Yes, you can send out samples with sharp transients to act as trigs/gates, but that’s not quite the same as accurate 0-10v or -5 to +5 pitch or modulation CV, and it doesn’t have DC outs to allow for that. You may be able to use it to send trigs, or clock to a modular sequencer, but that’s not the same thing.

Beyond that...like I said, it’s a solid sequencer. It’s also very much a decade and a half old specialized computer, and it definitely seemed like it was showing its age when I had one a few years ago in regards to workflow. It’s fantastic that it works for you so well and so many others, but it’s comical that you’d assert that the only reason people aren’t buying 1Ks by the truckload is because they only want new stuff and won’t realize that the sequencer of their dreams has been depreciating in value for over a decade. You certainly can do the vast majority of the things people have mentioned here on the 1000...it’s a question of if the workflow it demands actually works for you.

I could be wrong, of course...maybe I missed the prostrate massage via trigger when I owned one.
MPCs have DC Coupled I/Os. You can sample and playback actual CV if you want. Sure, still not the same as the MPC "generating" v/oct CV, but you can use the MPC to record and playback that from other CV sources, fwiw.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

when i was choosing a sequencer, MPC 1000 was on my list. and what was the deal breaker for me is no polymeter support in native OS and very limited in JJOS. otherwise it really appears to be excellent and ultra-capable machine.

so, first i got RM1x and then Pyramid, and absolutely satisfied with the latter at the moment.

but.

Quote:

absolutely agree it often looks like people are in constant search of excuses for not/never finishing their stuff.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search