The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM 2016 - Your Predictions, Rumors and Desires...
Old 6th January 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
Mmm, just noticed there's a (user submitted?) description of the Minilogue on Muztorg (under the second tab) (Google translation):
Description KORG Minilogue:
KORG Minilogue - is a fully programmable, 4-voice polyphonic synthesizer, is also equipped with built-in reverb and delay effects. KORG company offers the best way to get acquainted with a unique, stunning features of the analog synthesizer. Synthesizer has a unique analog engine, quick access to the 100 factory 100 user presets, 8 voice mode to create its configuration of 4 votes - unison, polyphony, and so on. The front panel 41 of the controller to configure and quick change function, the oscilloscope in real time gives a visual check of sound, 16-step sequencer with automation polyphonic up to 4 parameters synthesizer and more.

For switching visible plugs Sync In and Sync Out to work with synthesizers lines and Electribe Volca.
It should be noted that the presented model has a better price, and opportunities compared to competing models. Synthesizer fully programmable, has a high sound quality, control over harmonics waveform changes, the use of cross modulation, and more. The possibility of using a 16-step sequencer with recording automation options. Polyphonic Synthesizer KORG Minilogue will be an excellent acquisition and profitable investment for keyboard players, professional and amateur musicians.
Need to investigate some more...
Thanks for information !

I can attest that when Roland FA-06 was released, i also noticed a leak in russian webstores and later posted images and translated information - so for me it looks like 100% set - new KORG Minilogue is coming !
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Wonder if Arturia Bailey will make a return?
Old 6th January 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Has this "Yamaha Montage" rumor been posted yet?

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Smells like Minilogue.

Russian certification thing for what I think is a shipment of Korg stuff, it's where I first heard about the updated/Bluetooth Microkeys a few days prior to their announcement, but it also mentions Minilogue.

Now various Russian online shops have it in their catalog, described as a 37-keys programmable polyphonic synthesizer:
(Note: some show an MS-20 Mini image but this seems to be an error, for in both cases the MS-20 mini has its own page with a different reference code)

West Technology - korg minilogue 37 klavishnii programmiruemii polifonicheskii sintezator

Muztorg - KORG Minilogue 37-клавишный программируемый полифонический синтезатор

DJTOOLS.RU — KORG Minilogue 37-клавишный программируемый полифонический синтезатор

Maestro - KORG Minilogue 37- клавишный программируемый полифонический синтезатор

Then there's this post from an Italian forum (Google translation):
a friend in the industry told me about (the flight, we were both racing) of the new Mini Synth KORG.
It SHOULD be the infamous Minilogue repeatedly announced?
Apparently there was a prototype analog, but the final version will MAYBE actually a hybrid (digital generation, analog filters).
frets Mini but not too much, playable (from what I said on the fly). I imagine the same size odyssey ....

then, as I understand it, is being studied a clone VOX organ or similar style furniture but virtual generation.
I did not understand if it will be presented in January or next Musik Messe German before the summer ....
"Industry friend" means not solid, but considering all the above, the timing of it all, Korg's analog trajectory, and details such as a step sequencer with motion and clever uses of voices (think Volca Keys), I'd say the mystery analog smells awful lot like it could be the Minilogue.

But I could be wrong, that's the fun part
At the price point and description this sounds like the microKORG XL version of the King Korg with knobs on...

Not analog but a new small knobby VA...
Old 6th January 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yeah, oscilloscope is weird but could be fun. Or maybe something got lost in translation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by julianboyd View Post
Great find, thanks ToyBox. So there is an 8-voice poly mode with single vco a la Polysix/Juno 6 ? If so, than it has a chorus fx on board.
If they lost the analog envelopes it means their digital envs are not that bad.

Really ? Half the price of an Odyssey ? Not sure, if that is good or bad news.
No, it's 4-voice poly, but you can configure those voices in 8 different ways, like having multiple sub oscs, unison, chord mode (memory?), as the French reviewer was putting it. Maybe there's round-robin
I would seriously poop my pants if this was a real 4-voice analog poly with chord memory and round-robin for $500. A must buy. Please don't have mini-keys.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post
At the price point and description this sounds like the microKORG XL version of the King Korg with knobs on...

Not analog but a new small knobby VA...
настоящего аналогового are the exact words for true analog.
OTOH they show a pic of the MS-20, so who knows how accurate the description is.

Last edited by Prophonic; 6th January 2016 at 10:42 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavadisco View Post
Please don't have mini-keys.
Sorry. Too late.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
Sorry. Too late.
Maybe not - perhaps it's the same keybed from the Karp Odyssey, with 37 "slimkey" keys that are just slightly narrower and shorter than standard?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Really - or is it just a tease for Yamaha fans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedealman View Post
This is the first I am reading such details - others have been aspirations. Makes me wonder is it real..or just another tease to torment the thirsty!
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavadisco View Post
Maybe not - perhaps it's the same keybed from the Karp Odyssey, with 37 "slimkey" keys that are just slightly narrower and shorter than standard?
i.e. cheap feeling/built minikeys...
Yes, it'll be those for sure. But that's NOT a good thing!
It's actually part of why the KARP Odyssey, despite sounding really nice, isn't worth its cost, even by a longshot. Like the MS-20mini it's just not built in a quality that reflects its price. As has been the case with all Korgs analogue gear so far. And most likely will be the case with a Minilogue or whatever else in the foreseeable future.
Atleast as long as people keep swooning over sub-par quality just because it's analogue.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinavin View Post
This is the first I am reading such details - others have been aspirations. Makes me wonder is it real..or just another tease to torment the thirsty!
First appeared in this Korg forum, before being picked up by synthjam, and seems to be speculation.
Old 7th January 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Unfortunately, minikeys sell. Look at Sweetwater's synth/modules page and sort by popularity. Synths / Modules | Sweetwater.com

The various incarnations of Korg microKORG have been near the top of the list for years. Roland never made minikeys until recently but they have bumped the microKorg down to the 2nd page. On the first page, top 20 most popular according to Sweetwater, today I count 7 synths with minikeys (all Roland boutiques counted as 1) and only 3 synths with full size keys. If you look at the first 2 pages (40 products) you find almost equal count of mini vs. full size.
Old 7th January 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynMike View Post
Unfortunately, minikeys sell. Look at Sweetwater's synth/modules page and sort by popularity. Synths / Modules | Sweetwater.com

The various incarnations of Korg microKORG have been near the top of the list for years. Roland never made minikeys until recently but they have bumped the microKorg down to the 2nd page. On the first page, top 20 most popular according to Sweetwater, today I count 7 synths with minikeys (all Roland boutiques counted as 1) and only 3 synths with full size keys. If you look at the first 2 pages (40 products) you find almost equal count of mini vs. full size.
Do you think they're popular because of mini keys, or in spite of them? I'm betting it's more about price. If they made a keyless version of each an a regular key version, alongside the miniver version, which do you think would sell more?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

If this is true I will buy it immediately.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesigma View Post
Do you think they're popular because of mini keys, or in spite of them? I'm betting it's more about price. If they made a keyless version of each an a regular key version, alongside the miniver version, which do you think would sell more?
Mini would sell more, because they're convenient to fit and carry, are affordable, have a wide appeal, and you can still play them without the technical headache of connecting to other things.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesigma View Post
Korg did this with the MS20 Mini/MS20 full size Kit - the mini outsold the kits many many times over....

To use your question though - A few years back Korg made the R3 as basically a full size key version of the original MicroKorg XL (both being trickle down from Korg Radias) - we sold many more MicroKORG XLs over R3 before it was discontinued, and the R3 even had a vastly superior user interface.
Old 7th January 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I had to get on and just say this: I like mini-keys!!!! Burn me at the stake! Yes I actually want something that is portable, light, that doesn't take up all of my studio room in one swift 61-full-size-key kick! And no, I don't have a mini... Well, nevermind.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Roast View Post
Korg did this with the MS20 Mini/MS20 full size Kit - the mini outsold the kits many many times over....

To use your question though - A few years back Korg made the R3 as basically a full size key version of the original MicroKorg XL (both being trickle down from Korg Radias) - we sold many more MicroKORG XLs over R3 before it was discontinued, and the R3 even had a vastly superior user interface.
It's that huge mark up on the full size kit that did that. Very few people wanna pay more than double for roughly the same item. Had they sold it at a more reasonable price, i think the higher quality would've made lots of people choose the larger version. Also i think the need to put it together yourself scares some people off, despite it being very simple and straight forward.

As for the MK XL vs. R3 that one puzzled me as well, especially towards the end of the run of the R3 as they were quite close in price. I saw them with less than 100£ between them, and despite having the same synth engine, the R3 was a much better synth to work with, and much better built.

But we gotta remember that MANY of these synths are bought by people fairly new to the game. Quantity over quality, smaller sizes leaves space for more kit, and above all else cheap as possible to make each "investment" as surmountable as possible.
They have no training, experience or real feel for bigger and better keys. And by the time they reach a state where it would make sense to upgrade, they're used to, and comfortable with, the minikeys.
This 1st group interestingly represents by far the biggest buying power, mostly by their sheer amount, but many of them actually spend enough money in the small toy-ish end of the market, that the same money would've bought them a full Elektron/DSI/Moog rig.
Then we have the guys that would prefer modules, but at the lack here of choose the smallest alternative, as they're not gonna use the keys anyways.
And various other demographics where the smaller size and cheaper price wins the day.
These are more or less sure sales as long as there's not an equal, or cheaper, module alternative.
As a business it, sadly, makes sense.

Heck i'm myself in such a position that i'm actually considering buying the potentially upcoming MicroKorg based off the KingKorg - if it's not built by some1 that thinks a software editor (that won't work half the time because it's Korg) can replace a proper editing interface. And no built in speaker. Or MIDI-dongles. Or mini-jack output.
So most likely i won't...
Old 7th January 2016
Gear Addict

Side note; my local gear store is listing the Roland 500 series modules as being in their suppliers stock, 3-6 days delivery when ordering online.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It's really is time for a PolyPhonic Moog

We are overdue for a polyphonic Moog and I really hope they do a modern MemoryMoog. I love that synth and really miss it, I am just not willing to pay the current collector prices.

With the Mother 32 they have lower cost, presumably IC based, voice boards, throw 6 of them into a case and extend the Voyager software control, include a real discrete Moog filter and we are good!
Old 7th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Really just hoping for some sound design sampler like a modern ASR10. Something to build sustained polyphonic sample instruments with + all the modern day benefits of memory, fast software, and efficient processors
Deleted 73bdd22
Quote:
Yeah, oscilloscope is weird but could be fun. Or maybe something got lost in translation.
No, it's 4-voice poly, but you can configure those voices in 8 different ways, like having multiple sub oscs, unison, chord mode (memory?), as the French reviewer was putting it. Maybe there's round-robin
This has to be Roland as there is an other review for a plugin from the same site where the tester writes in the introduction:

j’anticipe ici le renvoi du R... qui est un des trucs les plus i... que j’aie pu récemment tester).

(I anticipate sending back the R... that is one of the most i... things I've tested recently)

Banc d'essai du processeur logiciel dédié au mixage de batterie Zynaptiq Unmix::Drums - Audiofanzine
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Hmmm, a new super - duper workstation for about $3500, ok we got it!

A huge step forward would be a vst host application embedded into a hardware unit with 49 full size keys, 16 knobs, 16 pads, and with a built in step sequencer, and a (16 track) conventional sequencer. It doesn't need to has the power of a computer, because the unit it could works together with the Mac or Pc via a simple software application which will permit this connection of both worlds, software and hardware.
Old 7th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Would be nice if fatar released a nice midi controller keyboard with 76 or 88 mini keys. Weighted of course. That way the major manufacturers can release mini desktops without the need for the associated keyboard
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoltz View Post
Korg will release the Kronos 3, which will be exactly the same as the Kronos 1 & 2, only with wooden fader caps, for that vintage mix feel.
And finally an update to that buster Korg sequencer so that it only takes 15 "clicks" and 7 menus to start recording a 4-bar MIDI clip.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shi View Post
This has to be Roland as there is an other review for a plugin from the same site where the tester writes in the introduction:

j’anticipe ici le renvoi du R... qui est un des trucs les plus i... que j’aie pu récemment tester).

(I anticipate sending back the R... that is one of the most i... things I've tested recently)

Banc d'essai du processeur logiciel dédié au mixage de batterie Zynaptiq Unmix::Drums - Audiofanzine
That review is by sleepless and he reviews software and some MIDI controller stuff. synthwalker is their synth guy and the one who was doing some teasing. His hints lined-up with the Minilogue description found on one of the Russian sites, and the thread where he had posted them now has been deleted, after my Minilogue findings here had been reported there, so...

I don't know what that R thing is but it's not the mystery synth, and seems to be something quite revolutionary.
Old 7th January 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Saw a post on Roland's FB page with the tag "hybriddrums"; the poster said she'd been playing with it for a few weeks and it's something we've never seen before.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_the_Darc View Post
i.e. cheap feeling/built minikeys...
Yes, it'll be those for sure. But that's NOT a good thing!
It's actually part of why the KARP Odyssey, despite sounding really nice, isn't worth its cost, even by a longshot. Like the MS-20mini it's just not built in a quality that reflects its price. As has been the case with all Korgs analogue gear so far. And most likely will be the case with a Minilogue or whatever else in the foreseeable future.
Atleast as long as people keep swooning over sub-par quality just because it's analogue.

Incorrect beyond belief, the korg arp is worth every penny.

And the bloody ms20 mini costs £320!!!! It's not worth it? Show me a new synth at that cost that's got better sound and better build. I dare you.

Dumb comment.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
Incorrect beyond belief, the korg arp is worth every penny.
Yeah those toyish mini keys and anemic 9v PSU really bring a lot of value to the table.

Quote:
And the bloody ms20 mini costs £320!!!! It's not worth it? Show me a new synth at that cost that's got better sound and better build. I dare you.
Waldorf Pulse 2
Studio Electronics Boomstar
Moog Minitar
etc.
etc.
etc.

Quote:
Dumb comment.
No, you.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild View Post

Waldorf Pulse 2
Studio Electronics Boomstar
Moog Minitar
etc.
etc.
etc.

No, you.
pulse is great. boomstars cost double. minitaur is really limited (though nicely built) compared to the ms20.

i don't own a 20 but they are a pretty nice deal for what you get. would enjoy a desktop version of it (that i don't have to build myself and costs double, even with the extra features)
📝 Reply