The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM 2016 - Your Predictions, Rumors and Desires...
Old 2nd January 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Sorry if i got your meaning wrong then.
Have you seen the massive Roland thread when Aira was released? I don't think I'd even register on the criticism scale with my remark.

Quote:
What knobs does the analog section need in your opinion? It has a knob for EVERY SINGLE PARAMETER.

Cutoff has the same size like all other parameter knobs and is highlighted by color. Only selector switches are bigger, since rotary switches need more force to move. Its perfectly fine to me that every knob has the same feel, so i can get used to it.
Not sure if it has a "knob for EVERY SINGLE PARAMETER" - but it does certainly have a decent amount of knobs and sliders for the LFO, OSC, AMP and EG sections. I was referring more to the innovation - for the extra knobs. There's nothing more cooler than tweaking a bunch of knobs and sliders. This is what I love about my Sub 37 and my Korg ARP Odyssey. This is also why I'm getting more into modular gear - I hate menu-diving and computer mice.

As I previously stated: I dont like small cut-off knobs. I need a big one.

Anyway ... let's leave this silliness, back onto the OT.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRoomStudios View Post
I forgot to mention the other thing I would love to see, and I haven't seen many people mention it (surprisingly) - a desktop or "RME" version of the Sub37. I don't need another keyboard, but a knobby module for a few hundred less would be great!
Yes! Sell it fo the same price as the keyboard, but put higher quality pots on it like the voyager.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
[...]
What knobs does the analog section need in your opinion? It has a knob for EVERY SINGLE PARAMETER.
[...]
Not quite:
- There are a few menu-bound parameters, like Phase Sync or LFO Pitch Destination. However if I remember correctly, when you tweak say an LFO parameter it'll also take you straight to the LFO menu, so that can act as a shortcut. (Note that can hold Exit + Tweak a parameter just to display its value without changing it)

- Some parameters are accessible via Shift + Turn some knob/press some button shortcuts, like how velocity affects the envelopes.

- The modulation matrix however is menu-bound with no shortcut that I'm aware of, I think that's the only significant omission. (There are shortcuts for assigning the wheels/Roland stick/pedals thought)

Brief, it's not knob per function, but yes the key stuff is in front of you.
Old 2nd January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Poly Moog

Modal analog 006

Last edited by fwet; 2nd January 2016 at 04:58 PM..
Old 2nd January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
We don't need any new gear.

What we need is for the manufacturers to issue firmware updates: fix bugs, add functions that should have been in 1.0, and add new features.

Lately, we've all gotten really tolerant of crap 1.0 releases.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
- Polyphonic analog synth
- Big sound
- Memory
- Step sequencer with motion recording (I think) / Arp
- Affordable
- Multiple VCO interactions
- A filter that can toggle between 2 and 4 pole operation
- Nice modulation routings
- Interesting mono modes that use the extra voices creatively (unison with detune, multiple sub-oscillators, chord mode...)
- 2,8 kg
- Has a keyboard
- More compact than a Mopho X4
- Plenty of knobs that aren't tightly squeezed together (metal-shaft too)
- Small screen
- Aluminium faceplate
- Not by Arturia
- By a manufacturer somewhere between Arturia and Waldorf, alphabetically speaking.

The above list is adapted from a series of teasing posts by audiofanzine's (French website) main synth reviewer, who seems to have something quite interesting in his hands that should show up at NAMM.

Happy new year!
He's added the following:
- Not a Mono/Poly reissue by Korg
- Not a Yamaha workstation
- Not a DIY kit by some friend
- It's by an international brand who isn't at their first synth

Now to add to the speculation:
- If our French reviewer has it now it's probably for a review to come out simultaneously with the announcement, which hints at a brand looking for or expecting a lot of attention. Big news? Big name? Big comeback?

- A vote against Novation: build quality seems too high and the synths sound too clever. Yes, Novation's pack a lot but they don't do weird things like "multiple sub-oscillators" or motion recording. Put another way, I'd expect a Novation analog polysynth to be more no-nonsense vanilla.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

- If our French reviewer has it now it's probably for a review to come out simultaneously with the announcement, which hints at a brand looking for or expecting a lot of attention. Big news? Big name? Big comeback?

- A vote against Novation: build quality seems too high and the synths sound too clever. Yes, Novation's pack a lot but they don't do weird things like "multiple sub-oscillators" or motion recording. Put another way, I'd expect a Novation analog polysynth to be more no-nonsense vanilla.
I would still bet on Korg. The various VCO config modes and motion recording of most parameters we know from the Volca Sample and Keys, which also showed that Korg can do real analog within small space and weight confinements. Roland released their "answer" to what a modern analog poly should be, while Korg hasn't done that yet.
In the 80s Korg's Polysix was designed as a low cost alternative to the Prophet 5, so it would make sense to see them again with a poly competitor to the Prophet 6.

Btw i disagree with others here, i find the recent design evolution, maybe since the Minibrute or Analog Keys, recently the JD-XA and now this "review model" of that french reviewer highly innovative and exciting. Not only is the voice architecture doing everything from unison / 4 mono to 4 voice poly, but in addition they are also more powerful as mono synths with various filter shapes, additional high pass, and DRIVE for saturating the filter input.
I don't find the Sub37 and other newer Moogs can compete with that.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Definitely different, minibrutes and analog keys...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwet View Post
Definitely different, minibrutes and analog keys...
my point was, the trend to try something fresh with a mono analog voice has just started a few years ago, maybe the Minibrute was one of the first to do something a bit differently, for others maybe it started with the analog keys, hope that clarifies.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by julianboyd View Post
my point was, the trend to try something fresh with a mono analog voice has just started a few years ago, maybe the Minibrute was one of the first to do something a bit differently, for others maybe it started with the analog keys, hope that clarifies.
They did score with the price range.
Old 2nd January 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
That teased poly analogue isn't gonna be a Korg!
Overall it sounds way too clever and quality for it to be them: All their newer analogue stuff has been Toys'R'Us -cheaply made, and based solely on reviving old circuits and designs, with close to zero innovation - heck, even their Volcas (probably the closest they've come to actual innovation) ripped off Rolands old x0x designs.
Also, the KARP Odyssey (again "just" a revival of old) is the only design they've made with a 4 pole filter option, the Korg analogue filters are traditionally all 2 pole.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if it was Roland. The described weight and some of the physical characteristics remind me of the System-1, so a case based off that. Paired with the sequencer and screen from the JD-Xi. And the analogue voice board from the JD-XA slightly modded.
They've lately been moving towards following popular requests, without making the full proper analogue yet. Meanwhile they've made all the necessary developments, so it's just a matter of throwing existing parts together, which is cheap, fast and easy - something all companies love.
And the switchable 2/4-pole LPF is a mainstay of analogue Roland.

Notice how there's no mention of multimode filter, which could/would rule out Novation and Waldorf (also Waldorf tend to use matrix editing and they got the Pulse 2 on the market atm). The only real alternative using a similar configuration would be Dave Smith/Sequential, but i'd hardly class them as being affordable - certainly not after all that VAT-crap bumping their prices. And they always go full metal body.

Technically it could also be Akai flogging the crap innards from the Timbre Wolf, but i rather doubt it, as some key elements would to way off the description.
Yamaha is outside the alphabetical order, and the choice of making the Reface CS digital would point towards real analogue still being a year or more off the horizon.

So my bet: Roland. Just hope they don't use keys off the System-1 or the JD-Xi.
Old 2nd January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Or it's that rumoured Behringer synth...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepLogik View Post

What we need is for the manufacturers to issue firmware updates: fix bugs, add functions that should have been in 1.0, and add new features.

I'd agree with this.

But also would like to see updated re-issues of stuff that has the right features,
instead of more lightweight fluff.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
I want fifteen new digital piano systems with blinking lights telling the students what key to press.

They do exist
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Sounds like a new Roland...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Not likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthio View Post
Or it's that rumoured Behringer synth...
Quote:
Old 2nd January 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Yep I think it's a Roland; it's the new JP-8i :-) (I'm only half joking - I wouldn't be surprised at all to find that the next iteration of the Boutique line isn't a direct successor to the original synth, but is some kind of combination of the JP-08 and other recent synth styles.)
Old 3rd January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
again guys, Roland just recently released the JD-XA. They will absolutely not launch anything similar in 2016 that would undermine sales.
The only time Roland has released a follow up within a year was the Juno 60, because the Korg Polysix had patch memory and the Juno 6 did not.
Old 3rd January 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepLogik View Post

Or at least a new pricing model ... Like purchasers prior to first OS update get free OS updates for life, half price for anyone that buys between first and second OS updates, and paid updates for everyone that purchases after that. Some kind of reward for being an early adapter and let others fund further development.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
(desires)

after the crappy new grooveboxes, time has come for better quality ones. A beefed up electribe or a smaller radikal spectralis. Companies probably make more money selling drum machines and monos for double the price but i'm sure there's a market for hybrid mid-range grooveboxes. Listen Jomox!

Smarter, less expensive modular cases. Preenfm2 in eurorack.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil B View Post
Or at least a new pricing model ... Like purchasers prior to first OS update get free OS updates for life, half price for anyone that buys between first and second OS updates, and paid updates for everyone that purchases after that. Some kind of reward for being an early adapter and let others fund further development.
Pay for firmware/OS updates? Seriously? Don't give them ideas!
It should be a given that they tested the equipment to within reason. Since it's not, it should atleast be a given that they keep developing the firmware untill it performs as expected, and does so at no additional cost to those who own the equipment.
You pay for the development of firmware, when you buy the equipment!

Now the reason neither is currently happening, is because people put up with way too much BS from the manufacturers, and don't punish them when they step outside the reservation. This is true both in terms of faulty firmware/software and sub-par quality hardware.
Personally i have bypassed buying plenty of otherwise tempting synths because they didn't live up to what i think i deserve for the money they cost. And it's not because i'm particularly difficult or spoiled, i have seen many synths that live up to my requirements.
But i won't tolerate synths that are coming apart out of the box.
Low quality 1/8" jacks as the main output.
Crap built in speakers being allowed to compromise output quality.
Idiotic MIDI dongles when there's plenty space for a proper 5-pin DIN.
Crashing and/or sluggish firmware.
Poor computer integration on gear where said integration is an absolute necessity.
Now the list goes on for far too long these days, so i won't list them all.

Now i know the laws regarding sales are different from country to country, but where i live, you are guaranteed a 2 years limited warranty by law. Which includes a specific rule, that if the item in question doesn't perform and work as should be expected, the seller have a limited time to rectify the problem, otherwise you're entitled to a full refund.

In my case i got a refund on a Korg MicroSampler because i had been 6 months without a working computer driver, and not a single update from Korg despite they knew it was a problem (i was being patient). This meant they failed to deliver the expected product functionality, which in turn was a breach of the sales agreement.
I really liked the MicroSampler, it was fun, but all in all, it took Korg over 1 year to update the damn driver - then they didn't deserve to get paid.

Or my Shure SRH940 headphones that kept cracking the headband no matter how many times it was repaired. Not acceptable, so i got a refund even though they sounded great.

Untill people start boycutting sub-par equipment, and demand solutions or refunds when the gear doesn't live up to what's promised, the manufacturers will keep tap-dancing on us.
Personally i'd suggest starting with the travesty that is Korgs analogue product lineup. Their low quality succes is what made many other manufacturers follow.
Old 3rd January 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
@ Marc the Darc

I'd like to at least take credit for inspiring your outstanding post :-)

I can't disagree with any of it. I retract my suggestion!!
Old 4th January 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Counter to what is sensible or reasonable I wanna digital multitrack recorder with midi sync. Really only interested in recording jams atm without the usual distractions/anxiety about this plugin or that DAW and wouldn't mind the option to overdub in time... would still use the PC for backing up samples, perhaps light mixing/mastering duties.

Have been having a lot of fun playing with my four track tape recorder (although it has exposed that I have rather questionable timing). I see Tascam and Zoom have options which would be ideal were it not for the lack of MIDI.

It's a stretch but you'd think with the cheap hot mess that the synth/groovebox market is... these thangs would have such a socket.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Re: Korg

Yes. And no.

Sometimes I think "gee, my Volcas wouldn't take well to being taken to shows," or "this sounds pleasing but it's no Minimoog."

However...had they not taken this direction I'm not sure I'd be able to get into this. I think Korg, like others, need to find their sweet spot. I'd pay 50% extra Monotribe price for an equivalent with separate outs, decay and tuning on the drums, second VCO and delay a-la the monotrons, perhaps a sturdier build... Korg do what they do cheaply but they have also contributed to the resurgence of analogue, and I think that a lot ot what they have put out has extended the boundary for the next release and so on.
Old 4th January 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
after testing some new beta firmware for the aira stuff i was told some dirty secrets.. there is some magic in the pipeline. i know it sucks to not say it but i can at least confirm that there is NO analog stuff coming so far. It wont make any sense to build a analog drum machine or some vintage re issue for roland. their aira 96k resolution chips work great, there are no complains so people wait for a boutique 808 or 909, dont wait for it get a aira...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post
Sounds like a new Roland...

Roland system 8 (Acb, 8 voices , plug-out ,49 Keys) [page 9]

Il y aura bien un nouveau Roland , mais pas analo !!!
["There'll indeed be a new Roland, but not analog!", page 14]
fxproject over at the same French forum, he had a lead for the Boutiques and on the XA, so some credibility.

Add this Roland japan blog 2015 synth retrospective thing that ends with a stay tuned for 2016 note, and it seems Roland may have more than a sampler to show this year.
Old 4th January 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Piano with little black and white penises insted of normal keys. Why not? I think this is the right time.
Old 4th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Having just bought a Korg SQ-1, I'd like to see an improved version, maybe called the SQ-1000.

It should feature:
8 rows of 16 steps each.
Each step should be programmable with full range of notes, velocity, and duration.
Each row should have a selectable midi channel or CV Out. Also, the rows should be able to run any number of steps.
Midi Channnel 10 support with full access to standard percussion - maybe even some programmed patterns included.
Full Yamaha Hz/Oct Support (why would Korg do this? to sell products of course.)
The entire until should be able to be programmed from a computer, but operate without one.
Price should be under $400.

Unlikely, but Korg is a very experimental company.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroZon View Post
Having just bought a Korg SQ-1, I'd like to see an improved version, maybe called the SQ-1000.

It should feature:
8 rows of 16 steps each.
Each step should be programmable with full range of notes, velocity, and duration.
Each row should have a selectable midi channel or CV Out. Also, the rows should be able to run any number of steps.

Or let's call it ENGINE.

well, sort of.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Roland system 8 (Acb, 8 voices , plug-out ,49 Keys) [page 9]

Il y aura bien un nouveau Roland , mais pas analo !!!
["There'll indeed be a new Roland, but not analog!", page 14]
fxproject over at the same French forum, he had a lead for the Boutiques and on the XA, so some credibility.

Add this Roland japan blog 2015 synth retrospective thing that ends with a stay tuned for 2016 note, and it seems Roland may have more than a sampler to show this year.
Apart from a sampler, a PROPER, normal sized synth with all of the engines of the mini-Boutiques would be nice from Roland.
πŸ“ Reply