The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
organ emulators
Old 16th January 2007
organ emulators

so i'm looking for a decent emulation of a Hammond B3 class organ. clone wheel i guess theyre calling em. yes i realize i wont have that exact feel without a big ass leslie speaker, but i'm not interested in lugging that kind of crap around & it'll probably spend most it's time in my cramped studio.

anyone done a taste test on the hardware organ emulators out there?
Roland VK series
Korg CX3, BX3
Hammond XK series
i hear the Nord has sweet organ sounds
& i see rave reviews on the Creamware Noah
i was leaning towards the Hammond cuz who better to emulate than the company that designed the original.

i saw a thread on organ emulator plugins & the NI B4 seems to clearly be the most popular choice. i tend to prefer my sound generation outboard, am i a dinosaur for wanting a $2000 keyboard when theres a respectable plugin for $200?
Old 18th January 2007
or theres one of these for $500
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

I've tried most if not all of the clones. I own an A-102 with a Leslie 147, so I also know what the real thing sounds like. The latest Hammond (XK2?) is the best one I've played, followed closely by the Korg CX3/BX3. I played the older Roland VK7/77 series, but not the newer VK8. The one really nice thing about the clones is that you can dial in reverb and overdrive, which you can't do with the real thing.

Good luck.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

By the way, I've also tried the Nord version. The Hammond, Rhodes and Wurly sounds are all pretty good, but the board just felt cheap to me. Also, it's the one clone that doesn't use real draw bars, but instead useless these cheezy little buttons for each drawbar.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Not a plugin, not a weight monster, but a tone monster for sure. 91 notes polyphony (both manuals+pedals)

http://asb.creamware.com/index.php?f...ng=en&product=
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

A former roomate had a setup where he used an electro rack with separate slider and keyboard controllers. The sounds on the electro are nice, but the buttons instead of sliders bite, and the keyboard on teh keyboard version isn't that great. I just got logic, and I like the sound of the organ plug that comes with it pretty well. I havn't a/b'd it with the native b4, but it sounds pretty comparable to what I remember. I don't really play keys, though, so you probably ought to listed to the advice from people who do.
Old 19th January 2007
i really liked the sound & feel of the hammond xk3 i played. the only complaint i'd have is that it's too clean sounding, but it shouldnt be hard to rough it up a bit.

i do have a creamware project card so i've been tempted to pick up the dsp plugin version of the b4000.
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

nord has a new 2 manual organ emulator out at namm, but they still have the crappy buttons instead of sliders.
Old 21st January 2007
Old 23rd February 2009
update:
so, i scored a copy of NI Komplete & just got it up and & running with my laptop & a novation xstation 49. the B4 software is a good temporary fix but it hasn't eliminated my lust for the hammond xk.
Old 23rd February 2009
Here for the gear

i've always liked the vb3.

GSi - Soundware for musicians

but i lust after more hardware too.

joe

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search