The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
I will never sell my JV 1080 again....
Old 17th October 2015
Lives for gear

I will never sell my JV 1080 again....

So a while back I dumped my JV 1080 because I thought that buying an XV 5050 would be an upgrade and I would be able to sell the 1080. In theory, it was better. It had many more patches on board and could use the SRX expansion boards which the 1080 can't. It also only took up 1 rack space, and also allowed me to save some analog TRS spots on my interface by using the SPDIF on the 5050.....

But the sound just wasn't there. There's something about the 1080 that's so damn special. I know it's a slightly less of a sound quality rendered (32khz vs. 44khz) but I swear there's more. The 1080 just embodies that classic 90's Roland sound in every way. The presets on this machine and it's expansion cards have been used in countless hits and the machine just oozes with class in my eyes. I will never, ever sell this damn thing. Even if I walk away from music again one day, it's staying in my closet just in case. For less than $200, it's just not worth getting rid of.

For those of you who have never owned and used the JV series line of Roland products....please...do yourself a favor and pick up a 1080 or even a 1010. You don't know what you're missing.
Old 17th October 2015
Lives for gear

That's pretty much how I feel about the U220 vs the JV1080!
Old 17th October 2015
XV-5050 has some sort of dynamic compression enabled at its output that can't be disabled. That's why it can suck life out of some things, particularly "analog style" bass patches.
Old 17th October 2015
Lives for gear

Sounds great to me too.Was even thinking about getting a JD800.
Old 17th October 2015
Lives for gear

Does a JD-990 user profit from JV-1080 and in what way (apart from obvious things like polyphony etc)?

Perhaps I should stay out of this thread after dropping this question
Old 17th October 2015
Lives for gear

They profit from being richer.Plus they can have 4 cards at once and access them easily.2 things....
Old 17th October 2015
Lives for gear

It's interesting, isn't it? There's something about the older JV line respect to the newer line - I remember buying the Fantom XR to replace the JV-2080, and ended up selling the Fantom and going back to the JV. The JV line seems "warmer"? Although I have to say, they brought the magic back with the Jupiter-80 / Integra-7 line - those sound amazing and I really want to get one of the two.
Old 17th October 2015
Lives for gear

Yea, the Integra is stunning.
Old 17th October 2015
Lives for gear

The 1080 has a very particular sound IMO - warm, gentle, and midrange-heavy -- that helps it fit nicely into most mixes.

It's really not great at sounds with a lot of harmonics or detail due to aliasing problems and really not great at basses either since there's not much going on below 100 hz or so, but it is very useful for pads and string sounds.

I don't know what else you would use it for in 2015 if you have a 990 or 5080.
Old 17th October 2015
Well for start, JD and JV look awesome in pair.

Old 17th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Does a JD-990 user profit from JV-1080 and in what way (apart from obvious things like polyphony etc)?
JV-1080 can produce smooth bass and synth lines, because there's no distortion issue with the filter. Even if you make it distort, you can reduce the waveform gain (avail: -6dB, 0dB, +6dB, +12dB). Unfortunately JD behaves as it is permanently set at +12 dB. And as soon as you add reso on any synth patch or a bass, or even resonant pad, you end up in harsh clipped sound. JV sounds super smooth for contrast.

Speaking of smooth, which is trademark for JV-1080, the XV-5050 can't produce JV style bass lines neither, but for other reason i mentioned earlier. Not only you can hear it but you can see it on waveform display. Typical two osc saw bass line on JV-1080 will essentially sound and look different with each note due to phasing and you can see different wave shape on each note. With the XV-5050 you have each note looking identical as if it's a copy/paste. The phasing is present but there's no dynamic movement in it - It sounds lifeless and static.

I should add: not all patches, but as soon as you go low into bass area, with detuned tones it is there. Not sure what's going on in XV-5050 and why it squashes the waveform. I suspect dynamic compression on its outputs. I really liked 5050 for its presets, but the more i went into programming synth style patches the less i liked it and it soon end in the ads.

Back to JD-990, although awesome machine, it can't touch any of these sounds:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11243076-post11.html
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11243238-post12.html

So ideal is to have both. JV-1080 for low & mid area, JD for the spectacular high freq response, both the waveforms and filter resonant response which goes way above 12kHz. Filter on JV can't go that high even when set at 127.

It is funny, even in 2015 watching some space related documentaries i hear JV-1080 in the background and some of its ubiquitous presets. I guess the Hollywood guys really love JV-1080 for some reason.
Old 17th October 2015
Lives for gear

Awesome pic, Don

How about 2080? Is that pretty much 1080 but with more room for expansion cards?
Old 17th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Well for start, JD and JV look awesome in pair.

Well, the JV-2080 looks exactly like the JD minus the extra card slot (extra row of buttons) and the blue and orange text.
Old 17th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Awesome pic, Don

How about 2080? Is that pretty much 1080 but with more room for expansion cards?
Yes, and also 3x FX. It's a great box, bought one new when they came out and at some point I had all the exp. boards for it - I made many songs on a JV-2080 + EX5R combo... actually that is still a great combo, imho!
Old 17th October 2015
Quote:
Yeah 8 x expansion. And 3 EFX slots. I remember lusting after 2080. Back in the day 3 x EFX was mega awesome. Because we were pulling whole tracks out of a single JV-1080, there was no such thing as overdub for us with casetted deck. Nowadays you probably don't need effects on output jacks 3-6.

Speaking of cards...

While everyone is lusting for Vintage Synth or Keys of 60s 70s, one totally overlooked card that should be mentioned is Super Sound Set. Not many ppl know this but it actually contains almost all of the waveforms and patches from Roland's SO-PCM cards. Some really cool waveforms in there.

SO-PCM were cards made for Roland JV-80. Even JV-1080 can read them. That's why there are two lots on the 1080's front panel, unlike just one like on 2080. That extra slot on 1080 is for the SO-PCM. Roland removed the slot on 2080, but came with idea to repack the ROM content of all SO-PCM cards into one single card which became the Super Sound Set. Highly recommended card.

I also have World Expansion and Orchestral Expansion cards. While Vintage Synth is kept in JD and is not necessary for Super JV synths, because many of the waveforms are already in the 1080's ROM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
Well, the JV-2080 looks exactly like the JD minus the extra card slot (extra row of buttons) and the blue and orange text.
There are rumors it sounds slightly different. I know that converters are different. But i never verified the rumor.

I prefer the "combat ready" look of JV-1080. And looks more interesting in tandem with JD-990. 2080 would look almost too identical, as if someone is having two JD's in the rack, which you don't figure out until you look closer.

JV-2080 is nicer for editing due to graphical layout. But advantage particularly for novice of 1080 is that all patch parameters from start to end are laid on the front panel. While with graphical UI of 2080 one might worry, what if there are some more menus or sub menus, etc hidden; since you can address only 6 menu links on the screen due to 6 function buttons.
Old 17th October 2015
Gear Nut

I demoed the 1080, the 990 and the 5080 all in one session, and I was going in thinking I would like the 1080 best, based on reports and some demos I heard. Not so - I liked it the least. Younger buyers beware: a lot of the 1080's appeal is probably nostalgia; it sounds quite muffled in person.
Old 17th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet_storm View Post
a lot of the 1080's appeal is probably nostalgia
Nostalgia?

Excuse my rant, but did you read any posts in this thread?
Old 17th October 2015
Lives for gear

I adored my JV1080

I had one the same time I had a V-Synth XT and the 1080 sounded more expensive (that's a real audiophile measurement).

I also A/B'd the sound (rather than the exact patch) against Omnisphere and it made the software sound kinda 2D. The 1080 also sounds 3D (another real audiophile term).
Old 17th October 2015
Lives for gear

The guy's just expressing his opinion, I'd say.
Old 17th October 2015
Quote:
The guy's just expressing his opinion, I'd say.
Yeah, but then we listed all of the technical reasons behind the sound. To call that "nostalgia" is kinda silly. These were not opinions, but technical explanations (frequency response, dynamic response and so on, all measured or observed by different people).
Old 17th October 2015
Lives for gear

Well, to some people that aren't about technical matters, that warm sound MIGHT harken back to "nostalgia", I can understand that in a way... I certainly wouldn't call it trolling. Just IMHO.
Old 17th October 2015
Lives for gear

Dunno, all this talk about the 1080 sounds interesting but I could only justify one Roland ROMpler in my arsenal...
Old 17th October 2015
Lives for gear

I have noticed that a lot of stuff sounds muffled compared the the razor sharp sound of softsynths..

Seems like everything is really bright sounding nowadays.
Old 17th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectwoofer View Post
Dunno, all this talk about the 1080 sounds interesting but I could only justify one Roland ROMpler in my arsenal...
It sounds muffled and its positive opinions are based on nostalgia. So don't buy it.
Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear

I almost bought a XV-5050 when they were first released but the way the GC salesman kept looking at me freaked me out.

It was like he was a starving dog staring at me waiting for a meal. I couldn't handle it I left.
Old 18th October 2015
Gear Nut

Yeah, it's just my opinion. I grew up in the softsynth era and my ears are calibrated to expect a crisp sound I guess. I was expecting the 1080 to be more hi-fi and expansive. Ended up getting the 5080 because it sounded much clearer and more to my taste.
Old 18th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
I almost bought a XV-5050 when they were first released but the way the GC salesman kept looking at me freaked me out.
I lusted for 5050 since it came out. Luckily the price went down really fast and really low, in the range of JD-990 or less IIRC. I liked it for its orchestral sounds and also effects processors were very good. But the lack of dynamic in synth style patches just killed it for me. I got rid of it pretty fast. Also had 5080 prior to that but sold it to buy MonoPoly. Don't remember if 5080 had permanent 30 Hz HPF filter on its output like 5050 did.
Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear
Just found a Fantom XR for U$270 shipped. Then I remembered it doesn't have the same perceived lustre as the JV1080.

I guess I'll use the SPDIF out.
Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixelsyd View Post
Just found a Fantom XR for U$270 shipped.
That's a really good price for a Fantom XR
Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Yeah 8 x expansion. And 3 EFX slots. I remember lusting after 2080. Back in the day 3 x EFX was mega awesome. Because we were pulling whole tracks out of a single JV-1080, there was no such thing as overdub for us with casetted deck. Nowadays you probably don't need effects on output jacks 3-6.
Haha, exactly. Our first couple of tracks were entirely in the 1080, literally using the synths multitimbral parts to make an entire track in one shot.

For a time I didn't understand how anyone could really use a synth that WASN'T multitimbral. lol.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search