The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
I will never sell my JV 1080 again....
Old 18th October 2015
Gear Maniac

I had a 1080 and 5050 at the same time - I found I liked the 1080 more on certain sounds and the 5050 more on certain sounds. The bell and percussive sounds were better on the 5050 - just had more sparkle. I felt the 1080 had some extra meat on some sounds - but they do have the exact same sound set. I kept the 5050 as it has so many more sounds. I also have a d550 and jd990 - I wouldn't get rid of any of these! Used to use a jd990 and u220 too - I remember them having some great sounds too. Cmon its Roland - enough said!!!
Old 18th October 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
It's interesting, isn't it? There's something about the older JV line respect to the newer line - I remember buying the Fantom XR to replace the JV-2080, and ended up selling the Fantom and going back to the JV. The JV line seems "warmer"? Although I have to say, they brought the magic back with the Jupiter-80 / Integra-7 line - those sound amazing and I really want to get one of the two.
I have a JV-2080 and a Fantom XR and nearly always go to the 2080 first. The Fantom has some really nice patches, but I just never clicked with it in the same way.

Recently picked up an Integra-7 and it is an amazing piece of kit. If I was going to sell any of them, it would probably be the Fantom, but... you know... I'd have to rearrange the racks and cabling and all. Better to just keep all three.
Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
That's a really good price for a Fantom XR
. I put in a shill bid and was stunned when I won it.
Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear

Sounds familiar. I have a jv880, I sold it once thinking I could replace it with software but I quickly bought one back. There's just something about it!
Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
It sounds muffled and its positive opinions are based on nostalgia. So don't buy it.
That was of course not my reasoning...
Old 18th October 2015
Gear Addict
So, how do the XP keyboards fit into this discussion of sound quality? Are the 1080's sound qualities unique?
Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Speaking of cards...
While Vintage Synth is kept in JD and is not necessary for Super JV synths, because many of the waveforms are already in the 1080's ROM.
So Don what you reckon shall i ditch my vintage card for the 1080?other cards i have are 60s and 70s,Orchestral and sound FX.Havent really had the chance to check anything out yet.
Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric J View Post
Haha, exactly. Our first couple of tracks were entirely in the 1080, literally using the synths multitimbral parts to make an entire track in one shot.

For a time I didn't understand how anyone could really use a synth that WASN'T multitimbral. lol.
YES.

For a long time, I wrote exclusively on an XP-50 (1080 workstation) plus DR-660 (drums) plus ESI-32 (samples -- mostly found/unusual sound). The idea of having multiple keyboards was unfathomable.

If that XP-50 had eight individual outs (or 16!) I'd probably still be using it. OK, maybe not, but it's possible.
Old 18th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
So Don what you reckon shall i ditch my vintage card for the 1080?
You still got the Mellotron and VP choir on the card. I wouldn't ditch it. I'd place it in JD-990.
Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear

the new jv 1080 i bought came with the vintage synth card. im not super familiar with the presets included Don. Are you saying a lot of presets in the 1080 are also on the vintage synth card? Could you approximate a %?
Old 18th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenWiley View Post
Are you saying a lot of presets in the 1080 are also on the vintage synth card?
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenWiley View Post
Could you approximate a %?
Sure! Total of 0%.
Old 18th October 2015
Quote:
Haha, exactly. Our first couple of tracks were entirely in the 1080, literally using the synths multitimbral parts to make an entire track in one shot.

For a time I didn't understand how anyone could really use a synth that WASN'T multitimbral. lol.
LOL! And I found a track on (my only) DAT cassette that i've made as a teenage jerk back in 1995.

It was made entirely on JV-1080, recorded into Soundcraft Spirit Studio. The only addition was that a friend had S-330 so we replaced JV's clap and ride with the one he had in S-330. We didn't even know what a dynamic compressor was.

Excuse the crappy music but i was young and it was the 90s.

Still can't figure out the reverbs. I am sure i can hear at least two different reverbs in here. Also the stereo separation is good. Sad thing: i don't think i know how to pull this all out of a single JV-1080 nowadays.

If anyone curious, audio is in flac:
Attached Files
File Type: fla Cortex_Thrill_studio1995.fla (7.89 MB, 289 views)
Old 18th October 2015
Gear Nut

my favorite preset sound comes from the JV1080, it's called "pure tibet"

love that sound, so beautiful

thinking to buy the synth again
or maybe a 2080 (about 250 euros here in Italy)

sonomike
Old 18th October 2015
Was always curious would Roland go Korg's Legacy route and bring up JD-990 and JV-1080 in software. That would be really cool.
Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear

I kinda don't see it happening at all...
Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear

Roland would improve the filters and they wouldn't sound the same. The somewhat crappy but usable filters are very much a part of that sound.
Old 18th October 2015
Gear Maniac

These JV threads make me want to get more out of my 2080, since there's so much in there.
@ Don Solaris :

When might we see a 1080/2080 bank of sounds?
Unless I missed something.
Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear

I still kicking my ass for selling 1080
I liked synth a lot .. maybe some day ill get one !... till then 3 JDs are kings here
Old 18th October 2015
Gear Addict

I've filled the expansion card slots on my 1080, have a Data card, but never actually looked into the PCM card & what the hell it is! Is it the equivalent of the expansion cards, i.e. more sounds?

edit: Doing a bit of hunting & found that they are sound libraries as such & the list given at Roland's site is:

SO-PCM1-01 Piano Selections
SO-PCM1-02 Guitar and Brass
SO-PCM1-03 Rock Drums
SO-PCM1-04 Grand Piano
SO-PCM1-05 Accordion
SO-PCM1-06 Baroque
SO-PCM1-07 Orchestral FX*

Any thoughts on the quality of the above, for instance the Rock Drums' versatility outside of a rock context?
Old 18th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by roginator View Post
till then 3 JDs are kings here
Overkill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Pants View Post
When might we see a 1080/2080 bank of sounds?
I'm doing some more demos.
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Overkill.

dude its V-Synth sound set time .. what are you waiting for !
Old 19th October 2015
Recently sold my 1080. It won't be missed.
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Does anyone know how the XP30 rates sound-quality wise to the 1080/2080?

I remember reading somewhere that it had lower quality converters or something?
Old 19th October 2015
Mine isn't even in my rack, but I'd never sell it...love the expansions and with the editor it's a great synth...
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

which editor you using?
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

I'm using ChangeIt
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

I used to have a 1080 and then a 5080 and got rid of them after grabbing an Integra7. I think it sounds incredible and is worth every cent. If you're into these units you should really consider it
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
To me multitimbral synths were so, so convenient; it's just that it'd take another 10-15 years for fully multitimbral effects. So you'd spend the distortion or phaser insert on one channel and then be all frustrated that it was gone already, but giving up delay + reverb on all other tracks would not be worth it.

(took a while to get external effects and learn how sends worked)
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
Roland would improve the filters and they wouldn't sound the same. The somewhat crappy but usable filters are very much a part of that sound.
From my limited time with the 1080 i found the filters strong and precise.Maybe not for smooth sweeps but...
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
You still got the Mellotron and VP choir on the card. I wouldn't ditch it. I'd place it in JD-990.
I have two Vintage expansion cards: one inside the JV1080 and one inside the JD990.
the first for easy access to all presets, the second for those extra presets only readable by JD990.
The first couple I bought new originally when they came out...
The second couple (JD990+Vintage) I bought second hand three years ago...

Indeed I have to say that some sounds of JV1080, for my tastes, are not beaten by software synths/samplers...
neither by Omnisphere: for example, Roland Vintage card Mellotron violins are the best sounding ones I have.
And I have many versions of them on my computer!

And what the he**, I rather work with software than with hardware for my workflow, but I had to really gave up on some sounds and turn on again after many years the JV1080 to get the right ones.

Last edited by Polarity69; 19th October 2015 at 10:37 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search