The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I will never sell my JV 1080 again....
Old 31st March 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I’m sitting here with that brand new JV1080 I purchased some 25 years ago and would love to get my hands on as many sounds as possible
Old 31st March 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer View Post
I’m sitting here with that brand new JV1080 I purchased some 25 years ago and would love to get my hands on as many sounds as possible
The Don Solaris soundset is really really good. Highly reccomend
Old 31st March 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
The Don Solaris soundset is really really good. Highly reccomend

I concur
Old 1st April 2020
Here for the gear

That Solaris set is great and a good source of inspiration for any programmer who dives deep into his JV but I have to say that the analog interpretations and the v/a sounds are a laugh on this machine. I would totally skip that. The JV shines on pads, ethereal stuff, drones, textures. The square wave is actually really nice too.
Old 1st April 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by conforce View Post
That Solaris set is great and a good source of inspiration for any programmer who dives deep into his JV but I have to say that the analog interpretations and the v/a sounds are a laugh on this machine. I would totally skip that. The JV shines on pads, ethereal stuff, drones, textures. The square wave is actually really nice too.
Do you mean you don't like certain waveforms on the JV, except for the pads and square wave? I do like the filter a lot, and I agree that the pads are very nice.
Old 1st April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by conforce View Post
Since it's not a VA Synth it shouldn't surprise anyone that it's not very good at VA relative to other tools

Of course in the early 1990s when the JV Sample and Synthesis engine was created and came to market Analog synths were very cheap and very plentiful and no one really wanted them so it would have made no sense for Roland to try and make the JV1080 a VA powerhouse

The internal ROM and the various expansion cards, especially the Vintage Synth Card do however have lots of samples from various Analog Synths. The beauty of these is that you can take these analog synth sounds to places you can't get to with VA synths alone.
Old 17th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Question:

is there any way to stop the JV-1080 displaying "RECEIVING SYSEX" any time you send it a parameter change?! is this like that on all of them, or is there an EEPROM revision that doesn't do this?

older Rolands don't do it.
it stops you from seeing the current value changing, a bit frustrating.
(why did they do this?)
Old 10th June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtl View Post
is there any way to stop the JV-1080 displaying "RECEIVING SYSEX" any time you send it a parameter change?!
I'm pretty sure mine (XP-50 and JV-2080) are not doing that, but I'm only dumping temporary Performance at the begining of each sequence.

What are you sending to the unit? USER memory dumps?
Old 10th June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poumtschak View Post
I'm pretty sure mine (XP-50 and JV-2080) are not doing that, but I'm only dumping temporary Performance at the begining of each sequence.

What are you sending to the unit? USER memory dumps?
no, parameter messages.
Old 10th June 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Could you be more specific? Regular MIDI messages or SysEx? From a computer or a MDI hardware device? No MIDI loop?

Did you check the CR2032 battery voltage in System menu?
Did you try to reset the unit (make sure you save your user patches first of course)?
Old 11th June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Could you be more specific? Regular MIDI messages or SysEx? From a computer or a MDI hardware device? No MIDI loop?

Did you check the CR2032 battery voltage in System menu?
Did you try to reset the unit (make sure you save your user patches first of course)?
no just parameter change sysex messages, whilst editing, having programmed into a novation remote sl. i haven't checked the battery or reset the unit yet. parameter changes happen; it's just that the screen is taken up by this message obscuring changing values, while messages are incoming. thought it was strange. pretty sure my messages are correct, as everything changes. it's always done this (bought 2nd hand).
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
no just parameter change sysex messages, whilst editing, having programmed into a novation remote sl.
You're addressing the TEMPorary memory Patch or Performance in your SysEx messages, right ?
http://www.angelfire.com/blues/midim...xpfaq.html#4.2

Does the message pops up when sending the basic SysEx that puts the unit in Performance mode?

Code:
F0 41 10 6A 12 00 00 00 00 00 00 F7
Since you're unit is second hand, I'd try a factory reset and battery change.

Not sure there were that many updates for the JV-1080 CPU & ROM anyways:
http://www.angelfire.com/blues/midim...xpfaq.html#2.6
(updates were done in Roland Service Center)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
You're addressing the TEMPorary memory Patch or Performance in your SysEx messages, right ?
http://www.angelfire.com/blues/midim...xpfaq.html#4.2

Does the message pops up when sending the basic SysEx that puts the unit in Performance mode?

Code:
F0 41 10 6A 12 00 00 00 00 00 00 F7
Since you're unit is second hand, I'd try a factory reset and battery change.

Not sure there were that many updates for the JV-1080 CPU & ROM anyways:
http://www.angelfire.com/blues/midim...xpfaq.html#2.6
(updates were done in Roland Service Center)
ah well... no i don't think i was using the temporary buffer addresses, come to think of it. just the normal address. i have wondered about this, doing stuff to a D-110, seeing 'temporary'.

i haven't sent it the Performance mode command.
i take it you have written an editor for it or something?
Old 12th June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
ah well... no i don't think i was using the temporary buffer addresses, come to think of it. just the normal address.
The JV-1080 series have a memory buffer which contains the actual Performance, 16 patches and drumkit settings.
Which you can dump to save the used sound settings within sequences.

This must be the culprit.

If TX Edit is enabled in SYSTEM page, you can monitor in your computer (or with a MIDI learn device) the TEMP memory parameter SysEx value needed to configure your MIDI controller, and give it a try.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The JV-1080 series have a memory buffer which contains the actual Performance, 16 patches and drumkit settings.
Which you can dump to save the used sound settings within sequences.

This must be the culprit.

If TX Edit is enabled in SYSTEM page, you can monitor in your computer (or with a MIDI learn device) the TEMP memory parameter SysEx value needed to configure your MIDI controller, and give it a try.
i never did that sysex-at-the-top-of-the-sequence thing. makes sense but seems overkill. higher level user !

so it seems like it 'complains' when sysex is sent direct to a memory, rather than the temp part buffers... interesting. the old D-110 does not do this, but also has the temporary buffers - which again i did not address. this means i have to look at the sysex for both all over again.

i could not, for instance, figure out the correct address (for D-110) for System parameters eg: the limited Effects. i got them changing, but not with the expected addresses, used another section of the sysex sheet (forget the details).

of course, - haven't checked JV - this means, when you have the temporary buffers, that you can power off and on again, mid-edit, without losing your edits. at least that's the case with D-110. have to check if JV does it. (TX802 also can do this).

edit: cue list of machines that can be powered down without saving without losing edits?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
of course, - haven't checked JV - this means, when you have the temporary buffers, that you can power off and on again, mid-edit, without losing your edits.
You can't. This is a volatile RAM buffer, i.e. lost on each power-cycle.

Not sure about the D-110, I had one but never practiced SysEx on it (Warm Pad FTW).
Gear Maniac
Quote:

of course, - haven't checked JV - this means, when you have the temporary buffers, that you can power off and on again, mid-edit, without losing your edits. at least that's the case with D-110. have to check if JV does it. (TX802 also can do this).

edit: cue list of machines that can be powered down without saving without losing edits?
Roland JV-35 does this too. Which means that you can layer 32 patches (while the actual performances only support 16 patches) by setting each of the 16 parts to dual mode, edit all the selected patches, power off, and you get to keep your edits.

Of course, without one of the expansion cards you'll run out of polyphony if you try to use all 32-patches at once...
Old 12th June 2020
Gear Maniac

Speaking of sysex......hecidecimally of course....who has a control map for any of the synths in this thread for either Roland A300/500/800, or the BCR2000?

Synthmania's demos of 1080 lead me to buy a 1010 early this year. I use it everyday. I'm dying to get inside, and the laptop based methods are no fun. I'm just starting to make my own maps for it now, but I'd love to work off some pre-made maps. I can't believe the A500 did not include good maps for 1080 etc.

TY, please pm me if you have a map
Old 13th June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
Speaking of sysex......hecidecimally of course....who has a control map for any of the synths in this thread for either Roland A300/500/800, or the BCR2000?

Synthmania's demos of 1080 lead me to buy a 1010 early this year. I use it everyday. I'm dying to get inside, and the laptop based methods are no fun. I'm just starting to make my own maps for it now, but I'd love to work off some pre-made maps. I can't believe the A500 did not include good maps for 1080 etc.

Don't have a map, but I highly suggest getting an iPad and the Patchbase App. The touch screen interface is a breeze to use and edit and can be a great real time controller
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post

you can load this into the Novation RemoteSL editor and get the sysex:
it's a multipage JV1080 'editor':

zipped *.syx file that is loaded via Remote upload dialogue. i think you can get at the individual pages from there(?). this does not use the Temp addresses, it goes direct to the ones shown for each normal section. should give an idea if you manage to open it.

https://app.box.com/s/up0kxs6srr7a1hhvntai9y4w12twspq7
Old 13th June 2020
Gear Maniac
What'd be the expected value of a 1080 with Vintage synth, Orchestral 1 & 2? Has to be over twice the usual going rate, right?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWestSE View Post
What'd be the expected value of a 1080 with Vintage synth, Orchestral 1 & 2? Has to be over twice the usual going rate, right?
Vintage Synth seems to go for around 150eu last i saw, don't know about those other two, but all SR-JV prices i saw the other day seem higher than a year or so ago. you'd probably do better splitting it out, as the 1080 itself seems to fetch a better price as well (circa 200eu?). (mine was a steal for 100eu local without cards)
check prices.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Vintage Synth seems to go for around 150eu last i saw, don't know about those other two, but all SR-JV prices i saw the other day seem higher than a year or so ago. you'd probably do better splitting it out, as the 1080 itself seems to fetch a better price as well (circa 200eu?). (mine was a steal for 100eu local without cards)
check prices.
JV prices are going nuts. I haven't seen V synth below €200. I even saw a frigging 1010 for €200. The median for 1080's is climbing to €250, and €300 doesn't look far away. not to mention 2080's...

I'm asking as there's a local listing, but it's in the quiet phase before the snipers go nuts. I've lost bids on 2080's as I didn't consider €350 a fair price
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWestSE View Post
JV prices are going nuts. I haven't seen V synth below €200. I even saw a frigging 1010 for €200. The median for 1080's is climbing to €250, and €300 doesn't look far away. not to mention 2080's...

I'm asking as there's a local listing, but it's in the quiet phase before the snipers go nuts. I've lost bids on 2080's as I didn't consider €350 a fair price
oh you want one? i think there are other things tbh. i got mine bcs it was cheap and local at the time. i'd already sold a 880 long ago, so it was an opportunity to check it out again after ditching in favour of emu.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I thought the Roland A-XXX master keyboards series had factory templates for the JV line.

Quote:
you can load this into the Novation RemoteSL editor and get the sysex
As an alternative, the library profiles for EncoreElectronics Knobby & SlideMate control surfaces are text files, and they come in 1080, 2080 and 1010 flavors.

https://www.encoreelectronics.com/cont_knob1.html
https://www.encoreelectronics.com/knobby-library.html
https://www.encoreelectronics.com/k-roland.html

Very easy to get around the SysEx.

There are also panels at Ctrlr's for these machines :
https://ctrlr.org/jv-xp-editor-for-r...-synthesizers/

Last edited by Poumtschak; 13th June 2020 at 12:42 PM..
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

Don't forget that these machines came in several other shapes and sizes; the 1080 / 2080 with keyboard and sequencer are known as XP50, XP60 and XP80. I have the XP80 and it's a beautiful synth to play & also usable multitimbrally.

Made this sequenced with my trusty old (ca 1996) XP80 last week.

Now, as can be heard the sound is right (same as 1080 / 2080) but the timing isn't. This is because the XP80 (and probably the other XPs) is more sluggish than the 1080. I guess it's because the added functionality it has. And I probably forgot proper midi filtering when making this. So I kind of miss my 1080, it was always bang on the beat. What did I forget to filter out in Cubase 2.0 / in the XP itself?
Old 14th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
hmmm

I was just thinking about selling my JV1080 which I've owned from new to go towards financing something else...like a sampler, maybe the MPC One or something....

Decisions....
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can someone tell me-is the data wheel sprung?When you push it in to increase the scrolling......Mine works fine with some pressure but does not have an obvious spring.
Another thing if i change the battery will the presets/patches still be there or will have have to reload?Thanx
Old 19th November 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
JV 1080 was my first synth.
i sold it twice since, and will buy it again, and never ever sell it.
there are 10 patches i would use any day on any track.
Old 9th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Recently bought a 1080! Would be weird to call history's most recorded module underrated but it's such a capable unit for the price, and would be on more people's radars if the demos weren't so one-sided. A lot of tricks up its sleeves, with Patch Base it just spews out useful patches. I think the VA side of it gets a bad rep, it may not be a minimoog or vintage flagship expert, but crusty juno-style sounds as well as string machines are a piece of cake and soo good sounding. I especially dig lively PWM stuff with the internal dimension D or rotary FX. It just has a certain something you don't get these days.

I don't care for most of the cheesy Rompler waves but the bells are great.
πŸ“ Reply