The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ensoniq ASR-10 as synthesizer? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 17th October 2015
Here for the gear

Ensoniq ASR-10 as synthesizer?

Hey all

Everybody always talks about the asr10 as a sampler. But can anybody expand on it as a synthesizer and how it would function as such? I have a prophet 08 and an Octatrack, and I am thinking about replacing them both with an asr10…

- Alex
Old 17th October 2015
Lives for gear

If you need a synthesizer in traditional terms, I would highly suggest against it.

You can do Transwaves and stuff…but you know its not going to be immediate like a synthesizer, its gonna be a LOT of effing around.

The only thing you'd gain by getting an ASR10 is yet another workflow to learn and a big, old, heavy sampler that I would never want to gig with.
Old 17th October 2015
Lives for gear

It doesn't have resonant filters unless you get special custom effects, and the envelopes are a slog to deal with. I love it to death, but I would not want it as my only synthesizer at all.
Old 17th October 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdecker View Post
Hey all

Everybody always talks about the asr10 as a sampler. But can anybody expand on it as a synthesizer and how it would function as such? I have a prophet 08 and an Octatrack, and I am thinking about replacing them both with an asr10…

- Alex
The ASR-10 does great sample mangling. (but you can already do that and more with the Octatrack) The ASR-10's filter lacks a resonance setting. Also, very noticeable stepping on the envelopes.

oops: Exactly what The Hamburger said!
Old 17th October 2015
Gear Guru

You're better bet would be to go with a TS-10 which can import samples into RAM. I'm pretty sure there was a SCSI adapter available for it as well that would help get them in quickly. The TS-10 really is a good synth.

However... replacing your Prophet 08? I'd firmly advice against that. The Ensoniq synths are great digital synths from their time, but analog they are not. Those warm fuzzy pads you get on the 08? Not possible on Ensoniq synths.

I can't comment on the Octatrack, but I know how Elektron gear can be a PITA to work with sometimes. I'm not sure the ASR would be much easier. Sample handeling on the TS-10 wasn't all that fun either. These days I find all hardware samplers to be a PITA and I think you'd be better off with an iPad or laptop. I use Kontakt for "real" instrument type things, Battery and Maschine for drum stuff and Polygon and Iris for mangling, and man let me tell you, that is more sample mangling fun than you will find on any hardware sampler.
Old 17th October 2015
Lives for gear
Back in the day my ASR-10 was a great preset machine and very high quality for the day. Now it is just severely limited for anything but a studio sampler.
Old 17th October 2015
Lives for gear

Mr Solaris.

zorglub667!

Old 17th October 2015
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdecker View Post
But can anybody expand on it as a synthesizer and how it would function as such?
I use it as an additive synthesizer, as shown in the video Ensoniq ASR-10 synthesizing organ sounds.

Subtractive is ok too but it lacks resonance in its filter section.
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
I use it as an additive synthesizer, as shown in the video Ensoniq ASR-10 synthesizing organ sounds.

Subtractive is ok too but it lacks resonance in its filter section.
Pretty cool stuff. A sampler with a built synth. I knew this but it cool to really hear it. I only used my ASR10 as a straight up sampler. I was younger and did not know what I really had.
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
If you need a synthesizer in traditional terms, I would highly suggest against it.
Exactly, if you need a synth for your traditional synth sounds i wouldn't go for it just yet .

But it is a very capable machine. If you are into being creative you can come up with some gnarly synth sounds for it.

I would recommend it highly if you want to get crazy with sample syntheses.

As a matter of fact i got me an ASR before my first synth.
Old 1 week ago
7up
Gear Maniac

Since half of the people who use synths literally use presets, at least with the asr you will be forced to be creative.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
you can use it as traditional synth, because there's a square and saw wave in the ram, new instrument > new layer > new wave > loop fwd or the other option (forgot which one ) from there you go

you get Resonance from the waveboy disks
Old 1 week ago
7up
Gear Maniac

Have you ever done that and produced a good result? I wonder how creative someone could be with that.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut
@7up yes

some nice layered pad sounds with poly portamento

it's loop fwd or bi-directional

i get some interesting sounds with it , notes sound a bit weird in the higher ranges
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7up View Post
Have you ever done that and produced a good result? I wonder how creative someone could be with that.
Here you go (works on both the EPS and ASR). Jump to 8:30 to hear the sounds created if you have no patience (intro has them as well, also does a funky clavinet near the beginning). Great sound design:

Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogue86 View Post
you get Resonance from the waveboy disks

Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRAZZ View Post
Back in the day my ASR-10 was a great preset machine and very high quality for the day. Now it is just severely limited for anything but a studio sampler.
Studio sampler? Isn't that computers' task now. Asr is 16 mb ram.
As a synth it's great but it requires dedication...like it's your only instrument.
Sure it doesn't make sense to add it to a setup as a cool new toy.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01rsa View Post
Studio sampler? Isn't that computers' task now. .
uhm, not everybody wanna sit in front of a computer,
sound matters to some ppl, i often jus' use my asr...plus the effect are great

i love to sample my mono synths or my op1,ipad apps to experiment,

and polypressure (polyaftertouch) for your DAW, which is interesting
with plug ins

but thats just me.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search