The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Creative filtering
Old 18th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
True, I was parallel comping them all through the same compressor instead of using an insert in the channel. But thanks for the input on your workflow, it sure helps. I have always wanted to up my automation chops substantially, and that's what im focusing on now.
I hear you, I'm stepping up my automation chops as well.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

I use the Mutator, IMO it can't b beat for creative low pass filtering, both in terms of sound quality and modulation features. Not that expensive when you consider you're getting 2 seperate filters in one box. Using them together for stereo filter effects gets very heady. And the sound is so silky.
Old 23rd January 2007
Here for the gear

Hey, thanks a lot for all creative tips'n tricks!

I'll definitely try out SBK and also Q1. I'll go for "routing tracks to filter busses", then automation.

@Tantrum: I'll also try the parallel thing with resonance/cutoff, thank you!

However, how exactly do you route when pointing direct to a "filter buss"? If you want to have your drums filtered just once in the song, say 4 bars, then you must have those drum tracks (or the drum buss) routed all the time via the filter buss, even when filter is not in use. And then route the filter buss to master, or similar…
I assume it's impossible to reroute tracks in realtime?

Or is it a way to always have a filter on the last insert on the drum buss (with regards to the example above)? In that case I shouldn't need a dedicated filter buss at all. Just putting filters on the last insert of suitable busses and then playing with all sorts of automation, even plug on/off and bypassing…

Cheers!

//Horpe
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd View Post
This isn't particularly creative in and of itself but it can be used creatively. If you have a sherman or some other fairly versatile filter, you can get cool effects by using one track to modulate another one. You can just have, say, a drum track FMing or AMing a melody track. You can get more drastic stuff by running one track through the filter and another track into the envelope follower input or envelope trigger.
is there any vst filter that can do such things?
Old 25th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horpe View Post
Hey, thanks a lot for all creative tips'n tricks!

I'll definitely try out SBK and also Q1. I'll go for "routing tracks to filter busses", then automation.

@Tantrum: I'll also try the parallel thing with resonance/cutoff, thank you!

However, how exactly do you route when pointing direct to a "filter buss"? If you want to have your drums filtered just once in the song, say 4 bars, then you must have those drum tracks (or the drum buss) routed all the time via the filter buss, even when filter is not in use. And then route the filter buss to master, or similar…
I assume it's impossible to reroute tracks in realtime?

Or is it a way to always have a filter on the last insert on the drum buss (with regards to the example above)? In that case I shouldn't need a dedicated filter buss at all. Just putting filters on the last insert of suitable busses and then playing with all sorts of automation, even plug on/off and bypassing…

Cheers!

//Horpe

You're going to need to automate it on and off.
Old 26th January 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznik View Post
is there any vst filter that can do such things?
There is the Peak Controller in FL Studio and controlls can be linked to follow it's output.
There's also Blue Cat's Digital Peak Meter and maybe you could find some others. Or build your own in SynthEdit, Reaktor.. or other virtual modular app.
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Head

one word: Antares

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search