The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What gear are you thinking about selling next, and why?
Old 8th December 2020 | Show parent
Actually stick another few hundred bucks on that bunch of shelf dwellers and theres a Prophet 10 in there nearly....mmmm "hello, sweetwater"
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Im not really into sofa jams at the moment...
Dude. You just gave me incentive to buy one. Having a 707 and TR-8S together on the coffee table would be so wicked!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Dude. You just gave me incentive to buy one. Having a 707 and TR-8S together on the coffee table would be so wicked!
Its ideal for that, I was using it with a launchpad pro mk3, could easily produce a tune with just it...Im just not into headphones, then I add little monitors...then think I stick one of my monos on there and a vocoder pedal, then maybe a guitar, then...wtf...take it all back downstairs
Gear Guru

Quote:
then I add little monitors...then think I stick one of my monos on there and a vocoder pedal, then maybe a guitar, then...wtf...take it all back downstairs
Old 9th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbak View Post
This can be very true. I once got into a similarish situation with a megacorp sized Internet seller whose name begins with an "A". The service is awesome when it works and a nightmare when it doesn't.

In my case I ordered a couple of things including a pricy computer component. The box arrived containing the various orders, but minus the computer component.

MegaCorp "A" (primarily via their uh... offshore teams) argued that because I accepted the delivery box, and the box did not show external signs of tampering, that this constituted proof that delivery was made of all ordered items. No matter how many times I explained that the high value item was missing from said box, they wouldn't accept it and kept returning to their canned "we investigated the matter, box was delivered, you accepted the box" responses.

My best guess is that the item either was missed out somehow during the packing process in their warehouse, or, the item was stolen during that phase of order fulfilment. Whatever it is that really happened couldn't be ascertained.

MegaCorp "A" never made any kind of effort to investigate what happened during the packing process nor could or would they provide any kind of proof showing that the item was packed. They very deliberately and studiously avoided any kind of correspondence or replies on this topic when I raised it, repeatedly, with them.

Police weren't interested.
Consumer protection mechanisms didn't work or weren't interested.
Going to the courts... kind of pointless.

But the one thing that did eventually work is when I argued my case before my credit card provider and explained the situation to them.
They eventually reversed the charge for the missing item, leaving it between myself & MegaCorp "A" to resolve.

Hilariously, MegaCorp "A's" jokers then contacted me to complain that the credit card charge for the missing item (that they didn't deliver) had been reversed and demanded payment and offered me "ways to pay" for it. That's when the joke was on them and I told them, politely, to refer back to our previous correspondence and that I'll be happy to pay ONCE THEY DELIVER.

In cases like these it does sometimes pay to use credit cards. It doesn't guarantee you a fair outcome when these kinds of issues arise, but it does improve your chances.

PS
Always re-read and then edit ANY kind of correspondence with these jokers after you have composed it before sending it. Wait till you're calm. Because the last thing you need is to sabotage your own case by including language that can be deemed to be uh... "offensive" or "abusive". Even when they are the ones being legitimate cvnts.

You want to be very clear, very concise, very accurate, stick to the facts, keep it business like, calm, logical and very, very polite. This method will improve your chances immensely when third parties such as credit card companies become involved and they review the correspondence.

I think there's a good chance the CC company will rather side with the party who provides the clearer and more logical version of events vs the party that replies with 1/2 baked arguments in pidgin English.
your CC company should normally tend to side with you, simply because it’s you they are providing the service to.
if it was me, I always would try to purchase any higher value items both locally and or use a CC as well. not always possible but …

I had a recent run in with the A team too. I don’t usually use them and they somehow shunted me into paying a monthly fee
for a service I not only did not explicitly choose, but also nowhere was I told on the site account I even had been. r even was for that matter. I only found out when debited a month after, and then for a second time.

so I insisted my bank investigate them for fraud, which the bank didn’t want to do, nor likely even really know how to even if they wanted to. I ended up making them block any further debits from that payment mechanism, plus the bank gave me the money back. then I made the A team also pay me the money back. it all helped me discover some interesting information about just how utterly slack anyone providing you a financial service, is actually willing to be. it’s almost baked into the process and the natural law of that process, is just financial expedience.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbak View Post
This can be very true. I once got into a similarish situation with a megacorp sized Internet seller whose name begins with an "A". The service is awesome when it works and a nightmare when it doesn't.
I once ordered some sheet music from Megacorp A. They sent the wrong thing because the wrong barcode was stuck on the book I received. They suggested I dispose of it and they'd send a replacement. They didn't know that the item they sent by mistake was something I would have ordered anyway. Sometimes it can work out.

Things can get messy with online payments and bank transfers.

I know of three cases where people received large deposits into their accounts owing to errors. I got someone's wages, someone else got someone's rent, and a third person got money she thought was from her parents so she spent it.

I felt sorry for the person whose wages were sitting in my account, but I was afraid it was some sort of scam. I waited for a consent form from the bank to let them sort it out instead of dealing with it myself. That way any liability was the bank's and not mine if it was something dodgy.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Got to stop buying little boxes and mini keys, I never use them...this will be my second clear out in the same amount of years
Minikeys I'm OK with but the little boxes... yeah, I just find myself neglecting them. Strange thing.

My MC-707 is probably going on the chopping block. Not sure if I want to sell it or just throw it in storage with all the other stuff that I can't sell. The main reason is I'm thinking of getting a Fantom and there's just too much overlap. But I think the Fantom's UI is dramatically better than than the 707's and the sequencer has bit more capability.
currently looking to improve my vocals, so maybe a TV Halicon perform VE
for better pitch correction, harmonies and vocoder than my JD-XI

Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict
I'm thinking about selling my Monomachine MK2. I love the thing to bits but it feels separate from my rig, workflow-wise. I always make loops on MnM (& Elektron gear in general) I love but trying to shape them into polished songs doesn't flow well.

With the prices pushing $2k, it's tempting to let it go to help fund a really nice poly.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The B purge continues. Next to go is Neutron. Don't let the swinging door hit you on the way out.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdvb View Post
I love the thing to bits but it feels separate from my rig, workflow-wise.
I know this feeling all too well.

Quote:
With the prices pushing $2k, it's tempting to let it go to help fund a really nice poly.
Can always use another poly! Got a specific one in mind? $2k buys a lot these days.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm thinking about selling my Monomachine MK2. I love the thing to bits but it feels separate from my rig, workflow-wise. I always make loops on MnM (& Elektron gear in general) I love but trying to shape them into polished songs doesn't flow well.

just an idea, for anyone with cool gear that doesn’t seem to gel with the rest of your setup but still makes cool sounds/sequences...

i probably never would have considered it years ago, but in a case like that i would just record/sample what it’s doing and just trigger it as audio on a sampler (assuming you use one). i was always thinking that everything had to be sequenced or playing back all at once, when i should have been sampling all those cool aimless loops that i came up with on different gear and built my tracks around those as if i were sampling from old records or something.

not to mention SO MANY little details that i was convinced that needed to be done “live” or sequenced instead of playing back a sample/loop of myself doing the EXACT same thing. i don’t even want to think about the time i spent looking into samplers that could do certain things via MIDI CC when i could have done most of what i wanted by simply recording myself tweaking start/stop/loop points by hand. absolute waste of time in most cases, all the cool stuff i did just screwing around learning the machines that could have been the basis for plenty of tracks over the past 20+ years.

honestly, i would have been far better off sampling a bunch of sounds/loops from different gear into an MPC or something, instead of always trying to get a bunch of different stuff all rigged up and sequenced/playing at once. ****ing idiot, now that i think about it. all the stuff i did on different gear that i never even r3corded because it didn’t fi5 into whateve4 i though5 i was workin* on a5 th3 time.

(does anyone know what th3 hell i’m doing wrong that this keeps happening to me all the tim3 typin* on an ipad/iphone? i’m somehow hitting the secondary f7nction of the keys withou5 even knowin* how/why. besides me tryin* to type too fast, why does it do this? it took me forever to fix this reply, i gav3 up after @ 2hile.)

EDIT: got it. disabled “key flicks” in keyboard settings. duhh.

Last edited by jbuonacc; 4 weeks ago at 06:25 AM..
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjontheroad View Post
The B purge continues. Next to go is Neutron. Don't let the swinging door hit you on the way out.
Working on purging mine too but unfortunately there's not a modern equivalent of the VC340 being made by anyone. Wish Moog or DSI or Korg or somebody would make a strings/choir synth.

Also having an issue letting go of the MS-1, even though there's literally nothing it can do that I can't do on a Grandmother. I dunno, I might keep the Minimoog, Juno, 101, 808, and VP330 clones until something better comes along. Thankfully the only other synth they have in the pipeline that I want a reissue of is the CS-80 so at least I can stop buying their **** for awhile even if I don't sell all of it.
Gear Nut

I'm thinking of selling the last of my vintage analogs, basically Jupiter 4 (a rare early prototype unit, discussed on the J4 thread), and Voyetra 8. Both of them need work, nothing major, but I'm arranging this. I will still keep my Prophet VS and maybe add a Microwave 1 but aside from that everything will be from this millenium.

It's really hard for me because they both sound beautiful, also it's a one-way street. As if I regret the sale in a few years, they'll be twice as much $$. So it's basically goodbye forever which is why I hesitate.

I'm just doing so much now with digital, with electroacoustic/granular/physical modeling stuff, not only am I more productive this way but it's where my passion is, to explore the boundary between acoustic and electronic. And the VS does 'enough' in terms of the analog bottom-end, where modern gear still struggles a bit.

I need to finance a new console, new furniture, other studio things... that will actually still be in excess of what I could expect from the sales, but it brings the goal closer.

So yeah kinda crazy but it's where I am in 2020. I am getting older, my body has already started to fail me in some ways, and events of this year are forcing all kind of reflections. One artist who influenced me greatly (although my influences are all over the map) -- Pauline Anna Strom, passed recently at age 74, she had just resumed recording again in the past few years. For me she was one of the very best of underground 80's ambient musicians.
Here for the gear

Goodbye, trapezoid black box

My TX-7 is on the way out. It was a freebie from a friend 20 years ago and it's been collecting dust ever since.

I don't
  • have a DX-7 nor am I planning to get one.
  • like devices that don't have ample hands-on controls or at least a UI that somehow affords easy control.
  • want to use it with a software editor/librarian, I'm trying to get away from the computer.
I can't muster the self-righteousness to purge my Behringer synth pile, so I'm going to do it with redundancy.

DeepMind 12 - I don't really care about having a DCO poly, and if I did I could just get a Rev2
MS-1 - the Grandmother is basically a semi-modular SH-101
Poly D - the Matriarch is basically a semi-modular Poly D (with more keys)
TD-3 - the M32 is basically a semi-modular 303
RD-8 - the DB Impact can cover TR sounds

Which leaves the VC340 (already sold the Boog/Neutron modules a year ago because I realized I hate module). So 1 synth and that one doesn't have a competitor. Think I'm going to make this my yearly January space-saving gear purge, which gives all my digital crap another year to win me over.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason moyer View Post
Working on purging mine too but unfortunately there's not a modern equivalent of the VC340 being made by anyone. Wish Moog or DSI or Korg or somebody would make a strings/choir synth.

Also having an issue letting go of the MS-1, even though there's literally nothing it can do that I can't do on a Grandmother. I dunno, I might keep the Minimoog, Juno, 101, 808, and VP330 clones until something better comes along. Thankfully the only other synth they have in the pipeline that I want a reissue of is the CS-80 so at least I can stop buying their **** for awhile even if I don't sell all of it.
Hardest thing for me replace, or even get rid of, is this Eurodesk SX3242FX. Everything is plugged into it in my studio. This and a pair of Turbosound floor wedge monitors are all I have left.

Lives for gear

Quote:
Hardest thing for me replace, or even get rid of, is this Eurodesk SX3242FX. Everything is plugged into it in my studio. This and a pair of Turbosound floor wedge monitors are all I have left.

Gotta ask is that your desk or a stock photo? If it is yours what is going on with that EQ curve? Just curious
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapro View Post
Gotta ask is that your desk or a stock photo? If it is yours what is going on with that EQ curve? Just curious
It's a Sweetwater photo. Action shot below. Currently under rewiring as always
Attached Thumbnails
What gear are you thinking about selling next, and why?-sx3242fx.jpg  
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's a Sweetwater photo. Action shot below. Currently under rewiring as always
Sexy with the Matrix Brute underneath
Lives for gear

Quote:
Helps keep the dust off it lol
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I love that setup.

Do you do sound design or do you focus more on songs?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanYoshizato View Post
I love that setup.

Do you do sound design or do you focus more on songs?
Actually, I just moved the MatrixBrute there a few days ago. It was on the other side of studio. I needed it closer to the party. I use for both crazy sounds and songs. I'm working it into a new jam as I type this.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Actually, I just moved the MatrixBrute there a few days ago. It was on the other side of studio. I needed it closer to the party. I use for both crazy sounds and songs. I'm working it into a new jam as I type this.
That's really cool.

Last year the only thing I knew was songs but then the Eurorack crowd got me into the pure joy of sounds without the expectation of playing live or using it in a song.

They got me into the idea about creating a mood and atmosphere right then and there and being content with actually never being able to recreate that particular sound again.

To me that's like music in its purest quantum mechanics approach where being unrecorded or played in isolation may create a sound different than if it's being watched. I can't ever seem to recreate the same cool vibe online but that's what is both mysterious and great about modular analog synthesis. In a certain way that manipulation of electricity is a living thing.
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepLogik View Post
I know this feeling all too well.

Can always use another poly! Got a specific one in mind? $2k buys a lot these days.
The MnM & Roland boutique JU-06a are the only polys I have at the moment (I don't count the Casio PX5s).

I've been eyeing the Prophet 6 pretty hard over the last year but would much prefer 61 keys & bi-timbrality. Maybe the Prophet X but seems like more complexity than I prefer.

Perhaps the Polybrute once used ones hit the market or a Montage 6, which I've always been intrigued by, even if the MODX presets sounded too much sheen to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
just an idea, for anyone with cool gear that doesn’t seem to gel with the rest of your setup but still makes cool sounds/sequences...

i probably never would have considered it years ago, but in a case like that i would just record/sample what it’s doing and just trigger it as audio on a sampler (assuming you use one).
Yeah, I've thought about that workflow for a while & had a Deluge that served as loop playback duties but I just find it easier now to pull the recorded sequence into a DAW & just build the track around it there. That's where it winds up anyway so may as well cut out the middleman.

My problem w/ the MnM (& Elektron gear) is building transitions, bridges, new sections off the original section. Much of the magic happens from p-lock madness & isn't easily "playable"/recreatable into another section unless the new section is only a slight modification on the original, if that makes sense. Great for Youtube-type tracks but harder for traditional songs form me.

It could be a mental block for me as well in terms of Elektron workflow.
Lives for gear

Quote:
... My problem w/ the MnM (& Elektron gear) is building transitions, bridges, new sections off the original section. Much of the magic happens from p-lock madness & isn't easily "playable"/recreatable into another section unless the new section is only a slight modification on the original, if that makes sense. Great for Youtube-type tracks but harder for traditional songs form me.

It could be a mental block for me as well in terms of Elektron workflow.
i guess i’d have to hear an example, but i think i know what you mean? it’s really hard not to get sucked into that trap with p-locks, automation, etc where removing or changing something can throw the whole thing off. are we thinking the same? i had a mild Elektron flashback/reaction as i read that, remembering that p-locks could be just as frustrating as they were fun and exciting.
Gear Maniac

While I may struggle with ditching my fun Ibanez hollowbody and my Casio CT-x keyboard, I want to really free up studio space for a Pro-800 with Keystep or a B2600 mounted in the back wall where I would have had my extra two guitars I am thinking of selling to free up space.

I want workflow and sell off non current instruments. I can't think or create when I have to maintain gear, especially backup stuff if just to keep it nice. There's little time so direct to musical goal is easiest.

For me either I create or I acquire gear for collections and I have never been able to do both. Either I am thinking of GAS or making music and my poor brain can't juggle both.

I have met so many non creative people with great gear collections and many creative and productive people with many ideas who meet their creative deadlines but don't have too much extra gear.

Most people gravitate towards one or the other.
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
i guess i’d have to hear an example, but i think i know what you mean? it’s really hard not to get sucked into that trap with p-locks, automation, etc where removing or changing something can throw the whole thing off. are we thinking the same? i had a mild Elektron flashback/reaction as i read that, remembering that p-locks could be just as frustrating as they were fun and exciting.
Not sure if we're thinking the same ... like have you ever started say a midrange-y lead or melodic part on a track, sent that through some FX tracks & then automated/p-locked the FX tracks & now all of a sudden, there's a bad ass bassline coming from the FX tracks?

And yeah, when I try to copy/change the part, I remove some innocuous p-lock (because I'm out of p-lock memory of course) & the really cool sound goes away?

Is that what you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanYoshizato View Post

I have met so many non creative people with great gear collections and many creative and productive people with many ideas who meet their creative deadlines but don't have too much extra gear.

Most people gravitate towards one or the other.
That's precisely the crux of my problem with the Monomachine! It feels too far removed from my workflow that I'm not real productive with it & as I keep streamlining my rig, it's still on the sideline more often than I'd like.
📝 Reply