The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What gear are you thinking about selling next, and why?
Old 3rd November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

I have a mint beginner Casio CTK-2500 and Jasmine classical that I don't use. I have a pretty well kept moderate level Ibanez AS73 hollowbody which is excellent but again it gets no use. Mostly I want to clear up space. I will sell those.

My current gear is a pair of Behringer synths, two Casio keyboards, a mini Korg ribbon synth, Korg sequencer, two stomp boxes, and a pair of electric guitars. I have a small practice amp and computer speakers and an old PC laptop. It's pretty space saving and I will keep one of the electrics in the closet and maybe a keyboard.

I am most productive with the least amount of gear out in the room as to have a clear mind.

I may entertain a keyboard amp or mixer and get a Behringer 2600 but that would fill things up. If I ever go live I have my trusty Fender strat and two digital Casio keyboards which all are easy to use. The analog synths are simply too inconsistent and never sound the same which is fun and fresh for recording.

I used to be such a gear hoarder but recording and playing live made me realize that half the gear I had I simply never used. The most precious thing for me as a creative person is space.

Half of what I record are the instruments on garageband and plug ins anyway.
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium ➡️
Out of curiosity, why did you go with the Zen over the BIM?
On the same sources w/ this track I'm working on, my favorite sounds came out of the Zen. I also preferred the tube drive over driving the BIM for 12-bit grit & the Zen filter w/ resonance was another sound design tool vs the Bim filters which were more utilitarian as low/high shelf EQs. I could pull a variety of different sounds using those 3 tools even in the same algos.

The Zen gets unruly pretty quickly so I'm sure there are sources where the Bim would work better but then I have the DIG which also has a 12-bit emulation but can also sound pristine. In fact, DIG v BIM I'd probably choose the DIG due to cost, versatility, convenience (pedalboard vs desktop) & ease of use even if it's a little less "special"/mojo, if you know what I mean.

FWIW, I currently have, in order of preference, Moog Matriarch delay, Meet Maude, Source Nemesis along w/ a Marantz tape deck I sometimes use either on its own or inserted into Maude to extend M's delay time. I'd put the Zen up there w/ or slightly behind the Moog delay. Just wish it had MIDI control or at least an onboard LFO or modulation controls or something.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium ➡️
Strongly trying to figure out the utility of my OTO Biscuit, Thermionic The Kite, and... my entire modular setup. Maybe my Octatrack mki if i’m feeling frisky.
I kinda regret selling my Biscuit, but only because the prices rocketed up right after I sold mine. If you're willing to hang on to the modular, Doepfer's Bit Modifier does a lot of the stuff that the Biscuit does, plus a bit more. Throw on a multimode filter of your choice, and the sky's the limit.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Prophet XL. I simply don’t have the time to use it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp ➡️
I kinda regret selling my Biscuit, but only because the prices rocketed up right after I sold mine. If you're willing to hang on to the modular, Doepfer's Bit Modifier does a lot of the stuff that the Biscuit does, plus a bit more. Throw on a multimode filter of your choice, and the sky's the limit.
The Xoac Jena + Drenso + Lipsk combo does as well, I think.
Old 3rd November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks @ mkdvb !

I don’t have another 12bit so perhaps Ill keep
A|Bing my delays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp ➡️
My “issue” with the Biscuit comes from my love of the sound over the interface that makes me less likely to program it or Der OTO.

Maybe I’ll keep on until OTO Machines releases whatever product next year and THEN decide what i want.

Or maybe I’ll have to sell everything anyway because 2020.
Old 3rd November 2020
Lives for gear

I am thinking about selling my JD-Xi but I can't, because a guy bought it yesterday.
Old 4th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Maybe my boss SP-303... but keep my Boss SP-202.

That might sound crazy to some, but I like that the 202 is battery powered. I also prefer the sound, it is REALLY gritty and lofi. The SP-303 doesn't sound as pleasing to my ears. It's still lofi but a bit bright and harsh. It has loads more FX, but nothing I find myself using.

All I do with the 202 these days is run samples through it at different sampling grades, and I'm cool with that.

Part of me thinks I should keep the 303 because it's so iconic and seemingly keeps going up in resale value, but tbh it mostly sits there unused, so...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdvb ➡️
... Roland JU-06a - has some really nice features beyond the 60/106 duality but just doesn't give me the same feels as my old 106, which initially didn't give me the same feel as my JU-06 (when you grow up w/ artificial flavors, the real thing can be a let down). ...
lol, didn't see that one coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothi ➡️
I am thinking about selling my JD-Xi but I can't, because a guy bought it yesterday.
I’m thinking of picking one of those up. Looks like a nice sketch tool with some classic Roland sounds. But it’s kinda cheap feeling if I remember, which is a turnoff..
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc ➡️
lol, didn't see that one coming.
Yeah, the first time I had tuna jarred in olive oil imported from Italy, I was expecting some Jiro Dreams of Marcella Hazan ecstatic experience but it tasted close to the canned tuna I've had all my life, just 5x the price. The differences were more subtle than I expected.

I fell in love with the Juno sound through the JU-06 so it was probably impossible to fall as hard for the OG at first sight/play.

The Boutique Juno also has some very nice extensions on the original 106. Two big ones for me were velocity (!) & audio-rate LFO, which can take Juno patches to a totally different place not possible on the 106. Plus I love the form factor ... it's just a cute little thing you can stand up like a Minimoog & no way I can take the OG 106 camping or jam it on my lap while watching footie.

Still, probably would have kept OG if it had velocity.

Coming around on the 06a though ... probably keeping it for now.
Old 4th November 2020
Deleted 9a53275
Selling my prophet X. Really enjoy the X but never really loved the oscillators and want to try something new, get back into sample-less subtractive synth land. Got Polybrute on my mind.
Old 12th November 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I'm thinking of unloading my Virtuoso 2000 with all the ROM's. In theory I love romplers, but in practice I never use the damn things.
Old 13th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Just listed my Prophet 6 on fleebay. I listed it here and FB marketplace without any bites yet and I’m a bit surprised. Yes, as soon as it sells I will be ordering a Prophet 10, and plan on buying a P6 module down the road. 👍

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164511300091
Old 15th November 2020
Lives for gear

Mothballed my Tama TS-305, and will put this up for sale.
Just too big and heavy!
Old 16th November 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Nektar Panorama T6, action is too stiff, IMO. I want a light synth action, maybe like an Arturia KeyLab mkII 61.
Old 18th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
My S5000 with the SCSI2SD upgrade (and the effects board)... Got it for peanuts originally. Yeah with the SD thing and auto-load it can be a nice "sound module" but it's a bit of a PITA and sluggish to use and takes 3U of rack space. For sampling duties the sound is nothing special, and neither is the effects board. Just...maybe
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
My Alesis QS7.1 Just as soon as I have a better performance keybed midi controller to replace it with.
Old 28th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

While I mentioned the two guitars and digital keyboard I have thought of selling, which is half of what I own, the one digital keyboard I have left I may never part with since it's my workhorse.

But I'm willing to sell this one if Yamaha comes out with a rumored E-473 which should pack a ton of functionality into a $300-$350 keyboard with far more than a $600-$700 dollar keyboard had just three years ago. The digital market with keyboard features grows exponentially.

Right now the fine tuning on an analog unit is still more expressive than digital but there will come a time when digital won't sound so stepped and abrupt and it will function exactly the same as analog. On the tiniest level of analog, its smoothness is still just 0s and 1s, just like digital and a fast enough processor will make them undetectably identical in sound and operation.

I think in practical working terms this can happen with the next rendition of Roland Gaia or similar.
Old 30th November 2020
Lives for gear

Everything.

Cashing in to buy shares to save The White Horse pub in Stonesfield.
Old 30th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius ➡️
Everything.

Cashing in to buy shares to save The White Horse pub in Stonesfield.
That's a bold move
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt pinchin ➡️
That's a bold move
The Winchester wasn't available.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius ➡️
The Winchester wasn't available.
Have a word with these guys
Attached Thumbnails
What gear are you thinking about selling next, and why?-2n49it.jpg  
Old 6th December 2020
Gear Addict
Sold my JV-880. Spent an hour with it at most but was not impressed by the character. Kind of normal, nothing unique. Akai Miniak held onto it for awhile, even bought another, ultimately sold them. The VA sounded thin, even my best hard earned patches didnt have the warmth, well roundness and low end oomph. It wasn't bad and could have kept it but was too one dimensional although beautiful in the high end had a inescapable digital thin. I couldn't program my way out of. Your mileage may vary, just my experience that's all. It was good enough to keep, just selling off everything not directly used. Trying to simplify and create.
Old 6th December 2020 | Show parent
Thinking about selling all my Behringer and non-emulative digital. And the Hypnosis since it sounds kinda ****ty. And the Keystep since it has no power button, it's hard to find a compatible AC adapter, and I'm only interested in standalone instruments so it just gathers dust.

DM-12
MS-1
TD-3
RD-8
Poly D
VC340
Digitakt
Digitone
Hydrasynth
Reface CS
Reface DX
Hypnosis
Keystep
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason moyer ➡️
Thinking about selling all my Behringer and non-emulative digital. And the Hypnosis since it sounds kinda ****ty. And the Keystep since it has no power button, it's hard to find a compatible AC adapter, and I'm only interested in standalone instruments so it just gathers dust.

DM-12
MS-1
TD-3
RD-8
Poly D
VC340
Digitakt
Digitone
Hydrasynth
Reface CS
Reface DX
Hypnosis
Keystep
Just out of interest:
Are you selling Digitakt because of its workflow?
I've honestly barely touched it. The workflow seems ok, I just don't really have much use for digital grooveboxes (yet I've been buying them for 20+ years, I don't know why). I may replace it with a Rytm Mk2 down the road. Or I may keep it, it's a "thinking about selling" thread after all.

Really I just want to get my hoard down to a reasonable size and focus on things that inspire me to make music. I love Elektron, but their post-Machinedrum/Monomachine gear reminds me too much of working in FLStudio or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inception7 ➡️
Yeah I'd let all those items go aswell. Though I'd keep the Hypnosis as want one.

What are you keeping outta interest?
Moog Mother Set: Grandmother, Matriarch, Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon
Korg 'Logue Set: Minilogue, Monologue, Prologue 16
Non Chinese Knockoff () Reissues: Odyssey Rev1 FSQ, near future MS-20 FS/Prophet 5
Mechanical Emulation: Mellotron M4000D Mini, Reface CP, Reface YC
Do-Everything-Monosynth: Pro 3 SE
Drone Synth: Lyra-8
Budget Buchla: Voltage Research Lab
DrumBrute Set: DB (CR-type sounds), DBI (TR-type sounds)

And all my effects other than the Hypnosis. Still on the fence about it, I'm going to stir on it for awhile, maybe until my next synth purchase.
Gear Nut
Just sold a Deepmind 12 as I never used the keybed (not a fan of the feel) and just sent midi to it so it was taking up a lot of space. Will likely pick up a second hand desktop when I see one for sale locally though, I did enjoy programming it.
I rarely sell stuff as I do my research and know what I want.

That being said, I'll likely sell my Roland PG-1000. I don't use it at all. I saw the prices they're asking for them on Reverb....wow. I can sell it at a profit and buy something else

Also selling my Norman B20 guitar as I bought an Eastman. I got a good deal when I bought it, and they've gone up in price, so I'll either sell it for close to what I paid for it or donate it to a charity (Guitars For Vets).
📝 Reply