The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How does he make his music?
Old 14th January 2007
Here for the gear

How does he make his music?

After reading through the daft punk thread, and being a little confused (Never producing anything or understanding much).

I heard a few todd edwards tracks and it blew me away, Once I heard that i new i wanted to make music and emulate his style in someway.

I would love to know how he does it, Go easy on me i know nothing.

Thanks
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanP View Post
After reading through the daft punk thread, and being a little confused (Never producing anything or understanding much).

I heard a few todd edwards tracks and it blew me away, Once I heard that i new i wanted to make music and emulate his style in someway.

Thanks
Do you have any gear?
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Addict

todd edwards uses similar technics like akufen ...
its all in the slicing of the used samples ...
he often uses realy short samples ...
also he got nice filtering/eq`ing going on ...
Old 15th January 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
Do you have any gear?
Not really.

Have a few pieces of software, fruity loops, Reason, Cubase and adobe audition.
And some VST's also old school sounding synths.
But nothing respectful.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

You have some respectable software & you can do a lot with what you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanP View Post

Thanks
I would say start making some music and get familiar with your software.
What I suggest to just let it flow suspend any judgment and just see what comes out.
Song wrighting is a craft that has to be practiced like anything else,
in the beginning it may sound like crap but the more work you put in the better you get.

As far a copying Draft Punks sound you have to learn to walk before you can run thumbsup
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
Song wrighting is a craft that has to be practiced like anything else,
in the beginning it may sound like crap but the more work you put in the better you get.
good advice!

I would like to add, that emulating someone else will not get you anywhere. Leave that to your subconciuos mind. It's hard enough to do something original by trying, it's impossible if you are trying toemultate someone else. Do your thing, who knows.. in the future you may be doing better stuff than daft punk
Old 18th January 2007
Here for the gear

Don't worry I got my own sound on, Just liked todd and one dark martians sound and wondered how they got it.
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Nut

you have enough software there to produce fully blown tracks providing your pc is up to speed. SX is perfectly respectable
Old 31st January 2007
when i'm trying to get a feel for something odd thats happening in someone elses song, i'll go ahead & cut a loop of the hook that got me & let it roll. then play along with it til i dial in on a frequency or sound that gets me in the neighborhood i'm looking for. keep in mind that they have different gear so you may not hit it directly but you can get a feel for what theyre doing. often i'll end up writing my own song around the sampled loop & drop it out of the final mix.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search