The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
synthpop music production: I'm so tired of VSTI's
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

synthpop music production: I'm so tired of VSTI's

I have been making electronic music for a while now...using plugins.

I really have to work to get a sound i like ...and they don't sound amazing.
VSTI's just sound OK. I want amazing sound.

i don't want a ROMpler (roland Fantom. yahaha motif).

what you guys recommend as far as hardware synths and production are concerned.

I want a sound similar to the following bands: The Notwist, midlake, the knife, the robot explosion, ratatat, the postal service, MUM, frou frou, and Air.
I really like the glitch sound, the sound of cheap toy keyboards mixing with expensive ones and fat synths. I also like CHIPTUNES.

I do realize that i probably won't find one be-all end-all synth, but maybe you guys could point me in the right direction as far as this type of music is concerned.

i don't mind buying several cheaper used synths either, but i don't know what to get.

somebody steer me in the right direction. I need to get out of this plugin hell.
Old 14th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagz View Post

i don't want a ROMpler (roland Fantom. yahaha motif).

what you guys recommend as far as hardware synths and production are concerned.

I want a sound similar to the following bands: The Notwist, midlake, the knife, the robot explosion, ratatat, the postal service, MUM, frou frou, and Air.
I really like the glitch sound, the sound of cheap toy keyboards mixing with expensive ones and fat synths. I also like CHIPTUNES.

I do realize that i probably won't find one be-all end-all synth, but maybe you guys could point me in the right direction as far as this type of music is concerned.

i don't mind buying several cheaper used synths either, but i don't know what to get.

somebody steer me in the right direction. I need to get out of this plugin hell.
well u could start by getting a fat n punchy mono, or two. like MS-20, minimoog, source, pro one etc just pick some of the hall-of-famers and you won't go wrong.

next u could get an analog poly, or string machine. latter is quite affordable and it sounds fantastic..

ideas for poly: andromeda, jupiter 8, xpander..
ideas for string machine: solina, crumar, rs505 ..

dont underestimate the power of real analog fx too. space echos, bbd delay machines, exh phasers, roland flangers etc list goes on..

and hw revebs make a difference as well. i have hard time finding a VST reverb that sounds good on analogs. i always end up with using lexicon, or some cheapo HW device like rev500, dp4, mpx1, wedge etc
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

thanks for the info, cluster. I'm looking at the lil phatty. I've gotta figure out where to get an ms20, too
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Speaking of Frou Frou I think they are all in the box with Logic. If anyone knows specifically I have been interested in this for awhile. They seem to use cool sampler tricks a lot to make weird flowing sounds.
Old 16th January 2007
Here for the gear

If you like the Knife and stuff like that, you should check out some FM synths - especially fm8. Allthough its a plugin, the sound ist totally top notch if you like those
kind of "in your face"-sounds.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Nut

I'd have to say , A classic/Modern...

Alesis Andromeda... Fast filters , fast env, fast lfos... All U need.

16 voices of REAL ANALOGUE brought to the 21st centry..

I've got lots of anlogue gear , but not this ...YET.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:

VSTI's just sound OK. I want amazing sound..................................................................................................................

Put a Creamware Scope Pro Card in a small PC and load the best dsp instruments in the market, make your modular patches...they have nothing to do with VST stuff and also are loaded in a top notch quality audiocard with a very cool software.

If you need knobs and hw feel have a look at their ASB line, amazing vintage synth models.

If you need great, solid sounds and still save some space and money, this is what I would do, well.....it's what I do! heh
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

The problem may not be the softsynths, per se, but the use of processing. I don't mean facnier stuff, just judicious use of compression, gates, pitch shift and eq.

Am example I learned here on 'slutz related to vocals (which I've used on guitars, too):

take a mono track and copy it toto 2 adjacent tracks...pitch shift each copy +.12 for one, -.12 for the other. Delay the shift by 100ms on tthe first copy and 200ms on the 2nd copy. Pan the original track dead center the first copy left and second copy tight...voila! big full sounding spread...much better than just copying and spreading...wider, bigger.

Try it with a mono lead synth line!

I've learned other "tricks" around here which have developed th e quality of my recordings and made them sound more vibrant and alive, thru processing.

certainly worth a try.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Waldorf Pulse
Roland jp8000
Waldorf Q
Crumar Stratus
Virus A, old os 12 voice version
creamware scope card with 4 or 6 dsp´s (cheap) the modular system on it is a real killer.

Check em out.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Addict

juno1, minimoog, evs1, casio toy syntersisers, roland mks series (80 with programmer), arp 2600, arp solina, moog wasp list is long

m

www.audiobuff.se
www.myspace.com/audiobuff
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

evolver.... why didnt anyone mention it?? Modular system +
next to a sunsynth the fattest new analog/midi synth ive heard(curtis chips)
+ really cheap + super appegiator (electropop)
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Addict

i have a jp8080 for sale too amongst other things

chek

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gearslutz-secondhand-gear-classifieds/86395-updates-list.html

all the best

m
Old 16th January 2007
Here for the gear

Sounds like what you want is a Monomachine.

http://elektron.se
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Addict

dont forget yamaha dx 100 "solid bass" and "hardbrass" preset
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
In addition to the Elektron products recommended elsewhere in this thread, here are my recommendations.

1) microKORG: cool synth sounds and a vocoder all-in-one. Prices are dropping and the used market is rather active.

2) Route what you have through this:
http://www.electrixpro.com/products/filterfactory.html
(if they can figure out world-wide distribution)

I don't recommend chucking your existing gear and VSTis and starting from scratch. The above two are great additions to what you already have.

Best,
++aldo
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

A Jp8000, Virus or Supernova should do the trick.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

I'm agreeing with the Monomachine.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

I can see why you ask this question.... I ran up my a Yamaha CS80, ARP2600, Minimoog and Prophet 5 in my studio, and also ran up the various virtual versions on the market that had demo's available, or that my friends had brought 'round for the test, and while all of the virtual versions did a great job of sounding like the tone of the original machines, the virtuals all sounded flat, thin and lifeless, as though they were clearly coming out of the speakers, while the real machines sounded big and present, like they were in the room with you.

If you are stuck with "The Emporor's new synths" ie virtual instruments, and all your music sound like it was heated in a microwave oven, try buying a basket full of great guitar pedals and running the plugs through them, and maybe re-amping them through a speaker.

For anyone that says virtual instruments are the way to go, good for them. If they stole the vsti's they are worthless, if they paid for the VSTi's they are still worthless, both will stop working when OS versions change, both have no resale value, and as musicians, playing a real instrument is part of the pleasure and satisfaction of music so save up and buy a classic synth, it will keep it's value and you will have a lot of fun with it.
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

i heard out the monomachine about a year ago, but i haven't played one, yet. why do you guys suggest this over the moog? do you like the sound better, or does it have more usable features?

i also listened to some polyevolver clips and thought it sounded really cool.
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by triez View Post
I can see why you ask this question.... I ran up my a Yamaha CS80, ARP2600, Minimoog and Prophet 5 in my studio, and also ran up the various virtual versions on the market that had demo's available, or that my friends had brought 'round for the test, and while all of the virtual versions did a great job of sounding like the tone of the original machines, the virtuals all sounded flat, thin and lifeless, as though they were clearly coming out of the speakers, while the real machines sounded big and present, like they were in the room with you.

If you are stuck with "The Emporor's new synths" ie virtual instruments, and all your music sound like it was heated in a microwave oven, try buying a basket full of great guitar pedals and running the plugs through them, and maybe re-amping them through a speaker.

For anyone that says virtual instruments are the way to go, good for them. If they stole the vsti's they are worthless, if they paid for the VSTi's they are still worthless, both will stop working when OS versions change, both have no resale value, and as musicians, playing a real instrument is part of the pleasure and satisfaction of music so save up and buy a classic synth, it will keep it's value and you will have a lot of fun with it.
thumbsup thumbsup
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Nut

if you're looking for something vintage i'd start with an oberheim xpander. it's no minimoog or 2600 but it's more versatile imo (polyphonic, mulit-timbral, velocity sensitive, has LP/HP/BP filters, extensive modulation patching, etc.). of course, ymmv.
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
I want amazing sound.
Then go for a real analog synth. Personally, I love old Korg synths; Mono/Poly, Trident, MiniKorg, and my fav, the MS-20 which will scream, and I mean scream like a b*tch or purr like a cat, depending on what you do to it. Pretty versatile, plus you can route other stuff through it for some incredibly cool filter and/or distortion sounds.

If I were you I'd get a MS-20, a Trident and, if you want cheese with that, a CRUMAR Bit 99.

Btw, if you haven't done so already, check out vintagesynth.com and sonicstate.com for lots of info.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

ok

thanks, Wolfenstadt.
it's funny you should mention those synths. I've been reading a little about the Mono/Poly and the ms20. I saw some killer videos of the mono/poly last week and i think it sounds great, but i don't know where i'd find one.
ebay was out of stock.

I'm checking into studio electronics stuff, now. maybe something like an omega?
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Head

Monopolys and ms-20s pop up on ebay quite regularly. Also, vintagesynth.com has a forum with a classifieds section that might be worth checking out. If you have time and patience to search a little bit you shouldn't have any problems getting a hold of one.

I'm not familiar with the SE synths unfortunately, but from what I hear it's great stuff. They're probably a lot cleaner sounding than the old Korgs, which might be a good or a bad thing. Myself, I like a bit of dirt and dust, but ymmv of course.

Btw, if you're looking at MS-20s, be aware that there were actually two versions with different filters. If I remember correctly, Korg started out with their own proprietary ICs which they later changed for a discrete based design. The early ones sound more aggressive and has nastier self-oscillation, while the latter sound a bit cleaner and is fatter in the low end. In other words, you need both.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

no, i didn't know that there were 2 different versions of the ms20. thanks alot for NOT helping me save money. well, i'm gonna search eb*y again.
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
thanks alot for NOT helping me save money.
Glad to be of service.
Old 5th April 2015
Here for the gear

The newer moog and DSI stuff should do the trick...
Old 5th April 2015
Lives for gear

Well, a good starter in the hardware synth market, is a Novation BS2. It has a wide sweet spot, lots of variety and a nice Roland'ish Filter. I've made lots of free patches for it and on the last set of patches, I multitracked some of them to creat a little demo song.

V3 - https://soundcloud.com/magikroom/nov...stom-patches-3
V2 - https://soundcloud.com/magikroom/bs2-custom-patches-2
V1 - https://soundcloud.com/magikroom/bas...custom-patches

Little multitrack demo using just V3 patches - https://soundcloud.com/magikroom/bas...atches-v3-demo

Order it online, try it at home and depending on the returns policy of who you buy it through, return it if you don't like it.
Old 5th April 2015
Lives for gear

I am sure the OP probably got soomething after 8 years.
Old 5th April 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
I am sure the OP probably got soomething after 8 years.
He got a SH101 and a Teisco110F a few month later:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...ml#post1409082

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search