The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bubbly, Warm 303 basses
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Bubbly, Warm 303 basses

I'm a synth guy and should know this, but my memory is foggy...

What is the best module to replicate those warm 303 acid basses? Aside from a real 303, what are my best analog synth options? I don't want to use any soft-synths. I know there were a couple boutique modules that were not too expensive, but I can't remember their names.

So what do you 303-heads recommend?
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

There's a DIY 303 out there that's closer IMHO than most of the other copies. You sequence it in the same way (has most of the same buttons and even the PCB layout and compenents are similar). Costs around 300-400 for that box i think, which is much cheaper than getting a real 303. Really nothing does a real 303 well, partially because of the way the sequencer does the slides (which is a huge part of the sound). I think Rebirth used to have a good emulation of it, which is now for free and really nice if you have an old mac sitting around gathering dust (as it only runs on OS 9).

While the sequencer is similar, I have a Comodore 64 running Prophet 64. However it doesn't sound like a 303. It sounds like a Sid chip doing 303 style stuff. Which is cool, but not real 303.

Samples of a 303 won't cut it at all, as again, as you know, the sequencer is half of the 303.
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Freebass, i think they're made by MAM now. But really, you're shooting yourself in the foot if you're going for one of those fake 303 emulator boxes, they all sound not quite right.

I know its a vst but try running Audiorealism Bassline through some nice analogue filters or light distortion (if thats what ur into) and you'll be surprised... hard to tell the difference, I've fooled hardcore 303/acid fans by doing that.
Old 13th January 2007
Gear Maniac

u can try this:

http://www.ladyada.net/make/x0xb0x/

http://www.future-retro.com/

Revolution

Roland MC09:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...x?ObjectId=423

http://www.acidlab.de/

etc.

but when u want the real 303 sound, then u should think about a real 303 or the audiorealism plugIn: http://www.audiorealism.se/abl/abl_info.htm

Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

x0xb0x - that's the clone kit

EDIT oops, apologies - this was also posted above
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

The Roland V-Synth (OS V2) does a pretty good job (as well as a huge amount more too) if you were that way inclined....

There's a new model of it (V-synth GT) coming out at NAMM too...
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

the d16 physon 303 is one of the best for me. the dist section does wonders to phatten the sound up.
Old 13th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Save your money for an original TB-303. Plain and simple. You will not regret it.
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Maniac

futureretro revolution comes as close as you're gonna get to the 303 + devilfish sound.

don't forget, like others have said the sequencer is half the sound. maybe more.

only downside is it's way bigger than a real 303 and doesn't run on batteries.
Old 14th January 2007
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

If you don't care about the sequencer (which a lot of people here say is a big part of the sound, I've never used one, so I don't know.) The technosaurus microcon 2 can approximate that synth sound.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Novation Bass-station
X0Xb0X
Anything by Quasimidi.
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Addict

Syntecno teebee MkIII+FR mobius?
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coil View Post
Now you did it! Naughty. Made me do the unthinkable! Have now bought one of those dreaded Roland grooveboxes. <blush> Feels a bit like buying a blow up doll..

Had a google on the mc-09 and found it had moronic 303 style sequencer, same knob functions, cheap plastik construction, laughably low price and almost no recognition at all - except for the odd loonies who love it to death and proclaims it's a secret gem. .. Now that story sounds familiar!

Seems Roland did their only honest attempt at cloning the tb303 right in the spirit of their previous 303 release. It's not sample playback or a totally different synthesis and the sequencer got it all. They could have called it the TB303MK2 and sold ****loads, but that would be too easy, I guess. So they finally made the clone everyone expected them to do, threw in some cheap sample and drum options to cloak it's true nature, wrapped it in their infamous groovebox line and christened it the mc-09 just to make sure no TB fanatics would show interest.

At least, that's what google said. It might be total crap though! Haven't tried it yet, waiting for the postal service now, so I dunno what to expect sonic wise. Whatever! If it's nice, all the better, but puny sounds have their uses too. It costs almost nothing and with such a sequencer any synth - even a crap groovebox, should be fun. Thanks for the tip, Coil!

So.. Have anyone tried it? Have I bought a cat on acid or just a bag of manure?

Andreas
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

So I've been fooling around with the cheap machine for a week. The MC-09 even looks crappier in real life than in picture! Hehe.. Quite nice box though. Got some surprisingly strong sides as well as a bunch of the expected weak ones.

Despite/despise all the idiotic stuff like a mostly horrible user interface and a truly confusing manual, the heart of this thing does got some of the 303 things right. And a bit more. The actual 303 synth is about 50% there, missing out on some of the important things that makes the TB come alive. Sequencer is spot on though with fun and simple real time editing. No stopping to edit pattern! And it does so many other things the real can't do, like a bunch of waveforms and 16 extra parameters for LFO and envelopes. It can also be played on the keyboard while the pattern playes, making for fast improvisation on melodies. The sound is quite good, with a sorta weak filter and good sequencer and waveforms. Where the real TB303 jumps out of the speakers with an open filter on a square wave, this thing does the same thing on the sawtooth. It's not a perfect clone, but it's got a great 303'esque sequencer and does a bunch of stuff quite well in it's own right. For the price, which is really frigging cheap, it's had to beat!
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

Damn, I might have to get one just for the hell of it. I need some entertainment today!
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lean View Post
futureretro revolution comes as close as you're gonna get to the 303 + devilfish sound.

don't forget, like others have said the sequencer is half the sound. maybe more.

only downside is it's way bigger than a real 303 and doesn't run on batteries.
i heard it sounds amazing but ive seen a few complaints that the circular sequencer is a bit confusing as its hard to know when its landing on the one. some people have suggested that there be a different colored light on the one beat so that it is noticeable. any one have one of these? anyone find it hard to program on the fly because of this?
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Nut

i have a futureretro revolution and really like it. it sounds great and is a very fun synth to program.

the circular sequencer is weird at first, but it's not too bad after you get used to it. i found my eyes trying to catch up to the light at first.

it's not too expensive and i've used it to control my machinedrum too.
Old 27th January 2007
Here for the gear

What am I missing?

There are so many real 303's out there, and they never cost too much. Why do so many people insist on wasting their money on imitations? If you're doing that kind of music, chances are it's a sound investment to get a real 303. Sell one piece of music and pay for it. Done.
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Nut

I have a real TB303, and when i want to use MIDI, I go for the MC 09, it is THAT good sounding, no ****! im suprised it is overlooked, maybe cause of the phrase sample crap that ive never used, its the sound that makes it at the end of the day

you can probably get one for $175. WTF? the Rolanders did a nice job on dis bit, and i tried several replicants, but the sound of this one wins it.
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedosi View Post
What am I missing?

There are so many real 303's out there, and they never cost too much. Why do so many people insist on wasting their money on imitations? If you're doing that kind of music, chances are it's a sound investment to get a real 303. Sell one piece of music and pay for it. Done.
although i like getting vintage dope synths...i also really like to get new ones that offer new capabilieties....if they sound good of course.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

<< I go for the MC 09, it is THAT good sounding >>
<< The sound is quite good, with a sorta weak filter and good sequencer and waveforms. >>

Could you guys please post a short snippet of the thing in action? I would love to hear something bubbly (not squelchy). I can't find any sound clips online.
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Well, I just got a MC-09 on ebay for $175-- it should be here by the end of the week.

I hope I can get some of those warm bubbly 303 basslines out of it!!!! I'll post some samples if anyone wants me too.
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

<< What am I missing? There are so many real 303's out there, and they never cost too much. Why do so many people insist on wasting their money on imitations? >>

Uh, let's see: $170 for a MC09 versus $1200+ for a real 303 (which may or may not be functional). That's what you are missing.

<< Sell one piece of music and pay for it. Done. >>

Maybe some of us have other things to do with our income like pay our mortgages and finance other studio purchases!
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Maniac

I have a X0X B0x. It rocks! I was a beta tester for the kit and had little trouble building it with my so-so knowledge of circuits. The real advantage that this and the Future Retro models have over any other simulator is the Sequencer. Many synths can produce the right sound, but the sequencer IS the sound of the 303. The X0X B0X sequencer was designed to be very simular to the original 303 sequencer. Here is a link to the X0X Box ---
www.ladyada.net/make/x0xb0x/

Last edited by basscakes; 7th February 2007 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: Added link
Old 12th February 2007
Lives for gear

This is the best VST EMU you can get, and maybe the best clone as well!

The Phoscyon
http://www.d16.pl/
Old 10th April 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine View Post
<< I go for the MC 09, it is THAT good sounding >>
<< The sound is quite good, with a sorta weak filter and good sequencer and waveforms. >>

Could you guys please post a short snippet of the thing in action? I would love to hear something bubbly (not squelchy). I can't find any sound clips online.
Here is an interactive demo:

http://www.rolandmusik.de/seiten/pro...ive/index.html

... and here is a Demo Video:

http://www.roland.co.uk/auddemo/Broadband/mc09.wmv

ok, it dosn`t sound 100% like a TB-303, but it comes very close.
forget those slicer/sampling stuff on it and yes, the manual is horrible ;-)

the sound really breaks down when you open the resonance parameter, but with an external distortion fx and a limiter/compressor it could kick some ass
Old 10th April 2007
Lives for gear

i have a FR revolution and it's dope. loads of fun to jam with as the sequencer is a no brainer and has some cool features.

my friend and i jammed w/the revolution/909/606 and some FX.. total improv. ended up playing for a few hours. we recorded only 15 minutes of it. here it is if you are interested in some sloppy acid.. parts of it are dope though and you can hear the revolution in context.

http://www.ignatiusmusic.com/dudebounce.mp3

i used to own the FR 777 and should have kept it. it is one really bad ass synth. you can do 303 stuff w/it but sooooo much more once you start w/the modulations and stuff. plus the filter has a toggle to switch it to something ridiculous like a 9 pole filter so you can ge the lowest fattest weirdest bass things happening. really amazing synth
Old 10th April 2007
Lives for gear

also, i find the FX in the revolution completely useless. i don't know why they bothered.
Old 10th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 View Post
This is the best VST EMU you can get, and maybe the best clone as well!

The Phoscyon
http://www.d16.pl/
ditto

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search