The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MAM MB33 Retro "Analog Bass Synthesizer Expander"
Old 21st July 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilb ➡️
Edit: was talking out of my arse! Slide works fine with BSP, only tried it briefly late last night and must have done it wrong. Will try the Zaquencer on it later as well.

Awesome sound btw! Wasn’t totally enamoured at first as the filter curve seemed really jumpy but fiddling with the pot on the back seems to have made it better to my ear, plus putting some time into it is definitely required to find those sweet spots. Was also slightly disappointed with how wobbly all the knobs are (except resonance, strangely) - is this the case with everyone else’s?
Mine are pretty wobbly too. Loving its sound though.
Old 21st July 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilb ➡️
Edit: was talking out of my arse! Slide works fine with BSP, only tried it briefly late last night and must have done it wrong. Will try the Zaquencer on it later as well.

Awesome sound btw! Wasn’t totally enamoured at first as the filter curve seemed really jumpy but fiddling with the pot on the back seems to have made it better to my ear, plus putting some time into it is definitely required to find those sweet spots. Was also slightly disappointed with how wobbly all the knobs are (except resonance, strangely) - is this the case with everyone else’s?
yup, wobbly pots but it has stood fine for a year now with no signs of any changes and it has been used a lot so don't stress it, obviously just a weak design but for a hundred quid i can't complain and the sound is killer so

yes for a simple box there are some secrets/sweetspots to be found

edit: OK i had to check my settings, offset is about 4pm or 10pm whichever way you prefer to view the arrow and the scale is at 5pm or 11pm , i really like these settings and it has been that way for as long as i can remember
Old 6th October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Really got this little beastie sounding good now. Its taken me a while.....

Running it through a distortion pedal and in this particular track keeping the note lengths really short. Incoming track in the next few weeks on the acid techno thread.

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapro ➡️
Really got this little beastie sounding good now. Its taken me a while.....

Running it through a distortion pedal and in this particular track keeping the note lengths really short. Incoming track in the next few weeks on the acid techno thread.

reckon gate length should be half a step on 16ths for regular notes. or drive it with a x0xbox etc. - took me a while to realise that too (with mkII).
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 ➡️
reckon gate length should be half a step on 16ths for regular notes. or drive it with a x0xbox etc. - took me a while to realise that too (with mkII).
Yep fully agree. Took me a while too
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapro ➡️
Yep fully agree. Took me a while too
and the same with any software 303 plugin.
Old 6th October 2019
Deleted 13e7993
Price to sound ratio is off the hook with this one. I'm not an acid guy (not that kind anyways ,lol) but I wanted some 303 flavor without much work. I don't obsess over getting it just perfectly authentic. I just want to be in the squelchy neighborhood sometimes. Perfect for me.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i've forgotten what my old fatbass fb383 sounded like. i traded it out for a MB33mkII, because of the midiCCs - i don't know if it's the sound, but i really loved that fb383, with it's stupid orange panel and the big knobs. the mkII is supposed to be cooler/better specc'ed but i never quite got the same kick with it.
maybe it's just psychological.
Old 6th October 2019
Gear Addict

I've had one of these a few months and spent a couple of minutes with it after it arrived, but it's only now that i've come to understand how it actually works.

I thought the jack at the back was for an audio input
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiglo ➡️
I've had one of these a few months and spent a couple of minutes with it after it arrived, but it's only now that i've come to understand how it actually works.

I thought the jack at the back was for an audio input
The VCF input is actually an audio input, isn’t it?
Gear Addict

I'm not too sure what it is in all honesty. I think I plugged a TB-3 into mine and expected it to expand it's sonic abilities, but I didn't get any sound out from it.

I shelved it without giving it a chance, but now after watching a video with midi triggering the sequence instead of audio, I need to revisit this again.

I buy too much stuff too quickly unfortunately and if I don't get instant gratification then I often shelve it or sell it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not too sure what it is in all honesty. I think I plugged a TB-3 into mine and expected it to expand it's sonic abilities, but I didn't get any sound out from it.

I shelved it without giving it a chance, but now after watching a video with midi triggering the sequence instead of audio, I need to revisit this again.

I buy too much stuff too quickly unfortunately and if I don't get instant gratification then I often shelve it or sell it.
Yeah you’ll have to trigger the amp and filter envelope by midi to get any sound through
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Hit it with midi to open the filter

Long notes if you wanna use it as a sweeping filter on drums or synths or fast midi notes for rhythmic filter activity
Old 6th October 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Maybe this has been posted already, no harm in doing it again. Great use of filter input

Old 6th October 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
minimoog can 303

Old 7th October 2019
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
on the subject of note length and 1/16 vs 1/32 for those who have never explored less than 1/16 steps i urge you to try it as it lets this little puppy breathe, example below and believe it or not this is the same bassline but listen how it sounds completely different, CrAZY

6 step pattern and all have one longer note @ hit 5 just to create a drag

first in 1/16th for 8 bars, then in 1/32 for 8 and then i do a mix of 1/16 and 1/32 and then back around after i adjusted the env mod a tad, have a listen to how the chirps change from about 1 minute in on 1/32

explore

Octatrack is sequencer, quadraverb on delay and dr110 on drums, obvious not trying to be an acid top 10 hit

Old 7th October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 13e7993 ➡️
Price to sound ratio is off the hook with this one. I'm not an acid guy (not that kind anyways ,lol) but I wanted some 303 flavor without much work. I don't obsess over getting it just perfectly authentic. I just want to be in the squelchy neighborhood sometimes. Perfect for me.
I'm exactly the same, not an acid or even techno guy that much but love my little MAM.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➡️
on the subject of note length and 1/16 vs 1/32 for those who have never explored less than 1/16 steps i urge you to try it as it lets this little puppy breathe, example below and believe it or not this is the same bassline but listen how it sounds completely different, CrAZY

6 step pattern and all have one longer note @ hit 5 just to create a drag

first in 1/16th for 8 bars, then in 1/32 for 8 and then i do a mix of 1/16 and 1/32 and then back around after i adjusted the env mod a tad, have a listen to how the chirps change from about 1 minute in on 1/32

explore

Octatrack is sequencer, quadraverb on delay and dr110 on drums, obvious not trying to be an acid top 10 hit

Isn’t the original 303 sequencer gate length something in between??
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen ➡️
Isn’t the original 303 sequencer gate length something in between??
i don't sniff corks, i just drink the schizz in the bottle homey

seriously though i don't know or care, on the OT i can go any length i like anyway so i always wander around from practically zero length to the other end

i do like the MB with very long notes over a bar or more legato into each other smothered in verb, lovely sweet sound
Old 9th November 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreg ➡️
Maybe this has been posted already, no harm in doing it again. Great use of filter input

Ha. For several seconds I was thinking it was the most oddly voice-like 303 thing I'd ever heard.

Old 7th August 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I had one mkii mb33, I opened it and saw a cem3340 the same one in the original sh101 that Behringer produces now.

This is why you have a sub, you can mix both waves, and this is why it definitively not sounds like a tb 303...

Now, one of you who still have one, open it and you'll see...

Told you years ago (page 6)

CEM3340
Old 27th September 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ercole ➡️
I had one mkii mb33, I opened it and saw a cem3340 the same one in the original sh101 that Behringer produces now.

This is why you have a sub, you can mix both waves, and this is why it definitively not sounds like a tb 303...

CEM3340
glide mc202 ? anyway that's why i love mb33 is based on 303 and sounds even better with that wave mix knob and yes love all those extra in this pocket fat box of bass,thinking to get another one ... one is not enough ...
Old 22nd November 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Currently at 85 quid at Thomann for anyone interested
Old 22nd November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ercole ➡️

CEM3340
No wonder the Mk1 and Mk2 sounded so different to me. Mk2 was a lot sharper. The Control Synthesis DB9 has a 3340 in it too.
Old 23rd November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➡️
Currently at 85 quid at Thomann for anyone interested
That's a serious deal. Sorely tempted to get another one!
📝 Reply