The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Using delay to phatten things up MIDI Processors
Old 12th January 2007
Gear maniac

Using delay to phatten things up

I am interested in how people use delays to phatten things out a bit

I have heard of extremely short delays being used on percussion hits and even bass or leads to phatten them out can anyone elaborate for me?

Old 12th January 2007
Lives for gear

Slap Echo
Slap echo, or slapback echo is a ricochet effect that tends to "fatten" a guitar sound quite nicely. Take a mono guitar sound send it to a delay processor, pan the original track somewhere close to the center of the sound field and the delayed track hard right. Use about a 75 to 150 ms of delay time, with feedback set to a single repeat.

Slapback echo is great because it sounds natural in a wide range of musical styles, with just about any guitar sound (clean, distorted, etc.) It even makes any beginning guitar player sound like he has been practicing more than he has.

Fake Stereo
What It Is and How To Get It: Fake stereo is simply taking a mono signal and turning it into a pseudo-stereo image. Take a mono track send it to a delay processor, pan the original track hard left and the delayed track hard right. Use anywhere from 10 to 40 ms of delay time, with feedback set to a single repeat.

Why I Like It: Are you lazy (at times)? Instead of double-tracking that rhythm guitar part, set up the fake stereo, and prepare to be blown away by a great sounding rhythm guitar sound. For additional variation, try equalizing either the original track or the delayed track. Or, to induce motion sickness, turn both pan controls rapidly from side to side during mix down.
Old 12th January 2007
Gear Head

Haas Effect

Do some searching on the Haas Effect.

The Haas effect can be used to overcome directional masking. Haas says that, in general, echoes occurring within approximately 40ms of the direct sound become fused with the direct sound. We say that the echo becomes "one" with the direct sound, and only a loudness enhancement occurs.

This was from Bob Kats site.

http://www.digido.com/modules.php?na...article&sid=10
Old 12th January 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovepusher View Post
Haas says that, in general, echoes occurring within approximately 40ms of the direct sound become fused with the direct sound. We say that the echo becomes "one" with the direct sound, and only a loudness enhancement occurs.

http://www.digido.com/modules.php?na...article&sid=10
yep thats what i had read somewhere, i think the dance music manual, but was interested in how i could use really short delays to possible phatten up drum sounds

wether people actually do that or its mainly for leads, guitars , strings, possibly pads etc..

thanks to Nexus for taking the time to show me some examples
Old 13th January 2007
Gear interested

I may be flamed for this but try adding a *very* short delay to your kickdrum. see what happens.. can work in some cases.
Old 13th January 2007
Gear Addict

instead of using very very short delays just use a bloody chorus, and make sure its not being modulated.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search