The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Novation Circuit
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes View Post
Pretty sure the oscillators reset at key-on.
Good news (for me, these days I use key sinc 8 times out of 10). But I wish they tucked in osc phase/restart control.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

When I bought an MPC1000 a few months ago, i was going to sell my circuit as I felt there was too much overlap. Having recently done a live gig i have done an about U turn and decided to sell my TR8. Luckily hadnt got round to selling the circuit. Not keen on taking my D50 gigging, most of my other kit lives in a flightcase and i dont want to take two big flightcases to gigs (and i dont even have a flightcase for my D50 yet anyway). I also need a poly to compliment my 5 monosynths. Before anyone shouts the kind of music I make doesnt need too much poly but it is useful at times. Anyway, the point of the ramble is that i intend to sell my TR8 instead. I have been sampling its sounds and i already have a good set of percussion samples. I intend to use my mpc for bread and butter drums (dedicated output for kick) and the circuit for percusion bongos etc.

Anyway, if anyone has lasted this far. I would like to record my circuit sequences into my mpc and use that as my master sequencer. I can forsee a few things. It will have to have react to external clock on to record sequences and off to use it as slave. Also i presume sample flip is built into the circuits sequencer and wont work this way. Apart from that has anyone else done anything like this? Can you forsee any other problems?

Cheers, sorry for the rambling post.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapro View Post
When I bought an MPC1000 a few months ago, i was going to sell my circuit as I felt there was too much overlap. Having recently done a live gig i have done an about U turn and decided to sell my TR8. Luckily hadnt got round to selling the circuit. Not keen on taking my D50 gigging, most of my other kit lives in a flightcase and i dont want to take two big flightcases to gigs (and i dont even have a flightcase for my D50 yet anyway). I also need a poly to compliment my 5 monosynths. Before anyone shouts the kind of music I make doesnt need too much poly but it is useful at times. Anyway, the point of the ramble is that i intend to sell my TR8 instead. I have been sampling its sounds and i already have a good set of percussion samples. I intend to use my mpc for bread and butter drums (dedicated output for kick) and the circuit for percusion bongos etc.

Anyway, if anyone has lasted this far. I would like to record my circuit sequences into my mpc and use that as my master sequencer. I can forsee a few things. It will have to have react to external clock on to record sequences and off to use it as slave. Also i presume sample flip is built into the circuits sequencer and wont work this way. Apart from that has anyone else done anything like this? Can you forsee any other problems?

Cheers, sorry for the rambling post.
If I’m understanding correctly, then why don’t you record them as a loop sample on the MPC instead of MIDI? Then you can trigger it along with the circuit playing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I. Batule Chee View Post
If I’m understanding correctly, then why don’t you record them as a loop sample on the MPC instead of MIDI? Then you can trigger it along with the circuit playing.
No thanks, I would rather save sample time for other things (I do one hour + live sets) and also I want the control that the circuit gives me (effects and sample mods, pitch, length, filter). I also have enough other hardware that I do not need 2 circuits! Having slept on this problem, I think I will have empty synth part sequences on the circuit for both the synth parts that will be sequenced via the MPC with the sample sections playing back from the circuit's sequencer. This will enable me to have longer musical sections while retaining the patch flip for percussion.

I am still interested to hear from anyone who has sequenced the circuit from an external sequencer though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi, I tested similar thing but with Kawai Q80 (96ppq) and Yamaha QY-700 (480ppq) instead of an MPC. I didn't spent too much time with it but I hope to try it again soon with QY-700... Q80 had a few showstopping problems for which the only workaround I found was to use QY-700 instead... I guess many people would say "Don't bother, just pipe it into Ableton" or something along thee lines...

What I wanted to do was:
(i) Build a sequence on Circuit and then get it into Q80/QY-700
(ii) Modify it on Q80/QY-700 (copy/paste measures, copy tracks to new parts and slightly modify them, maybe add some automation etc...)
(iii) Play the sequence on Q80/QY-700 driving Circuit or other synths
(iiii) Get the sequence back into Circuit so I could modify it using Circuit (not as important as first 3 goals)

Some mostly unsorted notes/observations from the solution I used:
- Circuit doesn't send automation over 5p DIN MIDI, only over USB. Not sure if this applies to sample flip as well... Knob movements while a sequence is playing are sent over 5p DIN MIDI as CCs, so there is a crude workaround for this
- both Q80 and QY-700 can record all channels at once, so I was able to record both synths and all four drum tracks in single take
- it is good to RTFM about MMC support on your machines as it should help you understand some "weird" things that could happen...
- for (i) make Circuit midi clock master (at bootup disable clock receive and enable clock transmit) and the other sequencer a slave (external clock) and make sure both use same time signature so measure boundaries are not messed up
- for (iii) make Circuit a slave and other sequencer the master
- in both cases, if you press PLAY on the master, it gets sent to the slave...
- ...so for (i) you arm recording on slave sequencer, press PLAY on Circuit and record at least TWO full repeats of yor sequence on Circuit (see later notes why)...
- ...and for (iii), pressing PLAY on master sequencer will start both the master sequencer and the Circuit, so if you have a pattern active on Circuit, Circuit would play BOTH the notes sent from master sequencer AND the active pattern (sometimes you want it, sometimes you don't...)
- sequences recorded into Q80/QY-700 were about 3-6 ticks late (but their ppq is 96 vs 480), QY-700 seem to have much less jitter but I din't investigated it too much
- on Q80, the first few notes would be all recorded with time 0 and last notes of each measure were actually recorded into the next measure (this of course depends on how close to measure boundary the note is)... a dealbreaker for me as I wasn't able to find how could I fix it easily using Q80's editing functions
- QY-700 didn't have this problem and it also has much better editing tools so I could shift timing for the track and save it, extract drums to separate tracks as all are recorded on channel 10 etc.
- changing session on Circuit changed song on Q80 and IIRC on QY-700 as well
- I thing switching patterns on Circuit didn't send anything extra but I am not sure about it

The post is too long, Usenet style... Hope it helped a bit... But beware - I never played live, I must have spent more time reading stoopid threads here on GS (won't name names...) than I spent doing music and all my gear is boxed right now, so I wrote it off my notes and my memory...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearlust View Post
Hi, I tested similar thing but with Kawai Q80 (96ppq) and Yamaha QY-700 (480ppq) instead of an MPC. I didn't spent too much time with it but I hope to try it again soon with QY-700... Q80 had a few showstopping problems for which the only workaround I found was to use QY-700 instead... I guess many people would say "Don't bother, just pipe it into Ableton" or something along thee lines...

What I wanted to do was:
(i) Build a sequence on Circuit and then get it into Q80/QY-700
(ii) Modify it on Q80/QY-700 (copy/paste measures, copy tracks to new parts and slightly modify them, maybe add some automation etc...)
(iii) Play the sequence on Q80/QY-700 driving Circuit or other synths
(iiii) Get the sequence back into Circuit so I could modify it using Circuit (not as important as first 3 goals)

Some mostly unsorted notes/observations from the solution I used:
- Circuit doesn't send automation over 5p DIN MIDI, only over USB. Not sure if this applies to sample flip as well... Knob movements while a sequence is playing are sent over 5p DIN MIDI as CCs, so there is a crude workaround for this
- both Q80 and QY-700 can record all channels at once, so I was able to record both synths and all four drum tracks in single take
- it is good to RTFM about MMC support on your machines as it should help you understand some "weird" things that could happen...
- for (i) make Circuit midi clock master (at bootup disable clock receive and enable clock transmit) and the other sequencer a slave (external clock) and make sure both use same time signature so measure boundaries are not messed up
- for (iii) make Circuit a slave and other sequencer the master
- in both cases, if you press PLAY on the master, it gets sent to the slave...
- ...so for (i) you arm recording on slave sequencer, press PLAY on Circuit and record at least TWO full repeats of yor sequence on Circuit (see later notes why)...
- ...and for (iii), pressing PLAY on master sequencer will start both the master sequencer and the Circuit, so if you have a pattern active on Circuit, Circuit would play BOTH the notes sent from master sequencer AND the active pattern (sometimes you want it, sometimes you don't...)
- sequences recorded into Q80/QY-700 were about 3-6 ticks late (but their ppq is 96 vs 480), QY-700 seem to have much less jitter but I din't investigated it too much
- on Q80, the first few notes would be all recorded with time 0 and last notes of each measure were actually recorded into the next measure (this of course depends on how close to measure boundary the note is)... a dealbreaker for me as I wasn't able to find how could I fix it easily using Q80's editing functions
- QY-700 didn't have this problem and it also has much better editing tools so I could shift timing for the track and save it, extract drums to separate tracks as all are recorded on channel 10 etc.
- changing session on Circuit changed song on Q80 and IIRC on QY-700 as well
- I thing switching patterns on Circuit didn't send anything extra but I am not sure about it

The post is too long, Usenet style... Hope it helped a bit... But beware - I never played live, I must have spent more time reading stoopid threads here on GS (won't name names...) than I spent doing music and all my gear is boxed right now, so I wrote it off my notes and my memory...
Cheers for your take. Thanks for answering, i will have another read before i try it. Stuff is rigged up for sampling my TR8 before i ditch it at the moment and a bit short on time for a week or so. I will report back how i get on with my take on it. I do know that the patch flip wouldnt record. Each of the four sample channels has its own midi channel. The flip is all internal to the circuit.

Nce to know someone else has attempted to go this route
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I do know that the patch flip wouldnt record. Each of the four sample channels has its own midi channel. The flip is all internal to the circuit.
In Circuit, all drums share the same channel (10 by default). They just send different notes (60, 62, 64, 65). I checked the Circuit programming manual and it should be possible to sequence sample flips externally by sending CCs 8, 18, 44, 50 to Circuit's drum channel. On QY-700 you could manually add them as extra midi events just before the note ONs. Not perfect but doable if the drum loops are just a few bars.

Interested to see if it will work for you... I was thinking about getting an MPC but ended up with Q80/QY-700...
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Hello all. Now that I have re-integrated my Circuit back into my rig I have updated to the latest firmware and used it to change my midi channel. All good until I turn it off then it resets synth parts back to channels 1&2.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search