The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Novation Circuit
Old 19th July 2019
  #1171
Lives for gear
 
Sapro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post
I don’t use presets so I need to know what each knob does and not have it change depending on patch.
Then program your patches to have consistent knob actions?
That is all part of the patch creation.
Old 19th July 2019
  #1172
Lives for gear
 
Mushy Mushy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapro View Post
Then program your patches to have consistent knob actions?
That is all part of the patch creation.
But how? With the software editor? Kinda defeats the purpose of a hardware synth in that case. I’d just end up using something infinitely more flexible like Serum.
Old 19th July 2019
  #1173
Lives for gear
 
Sapro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post
But how? With the software editor? Kinda defeats the purpose of a hardware synth in that case. I’d just end up using something infinitely more flexible like Serum.
I bought bll instruments Short for my circuit when they did a kickstarter. This hardware unit enabled editing on the circuit by selecting the parameters you wanted to edit on the Short.

Unfortunately I think this was a one off, sorry. It would have been good to have gone into production but it did not have enough backers as it was and we were lucky they actually produced them for us that did back it.
Old 19th July 2019
  #1174
Lives for gear
 
chaocrator's Avatar
i have not bought Circuit yet, but prepared the templates already



what i really love about Novation gear is that every single engine parameter is MIDI controllable.

this is for sound design, of course. for important performance parameters, 8 Circuit pots is absolutely enough.
Old 19th July 2019
  #1175
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveItAll View Post
Twisting unmarked knobs for the 2 synth engines is useless. I never use it for that. It is good for 2 part drum tracks and 2 external midi parts. The note sequencing is brilliant and the large number of patterns and chaining is fantastic. It is also a great Live controller with its simple keyboard and 8 continuous knobs. But the synths? Hell No.
this is why i prefer the mono station. its sequencer has even more features.. and you can also motion sequence external gear with the aux cv or control devices with cv/gate in addition to midi . in addition to being better at sequencing external gear it also has a built in analogue synth engine with actual labeled knobs that you can edit and save on the fly.. and patch flipping!

this is all assuming you are only controlling mono synths
Old 19th July 2019
  #1176
Gear Maniac
 

the cms just didn‘t click with me so i sold it after 3 month.But i‘ll keep my 2 circuits,that‘s for sure.And i make heavy use of the internal synths as well.I took the time to fill them up with favorites and own sounds first and made sure all knobs (in each preset)has almost the same functions.It‘s fun.
Old 19th July 2019
  #1177
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wentzelitis View Post
this is why i prefer the mono station. its sequencer has even more features.. and you can also motion sequence external gear with the aux cv or control devices with cv/gate in addition to midi . in addition to being better at sequencing external gear it also has a built in analogue synth engine with actual labeled knobs that you can edit and save on the fly.. and patch flipping!

this is all assuming you are only controlling mono synths
I wanted the drums to pair with a MachineDrum without the UW sampling. It does that well. TBH the synths weren't that interesting to me. I had a mild regret when I saw the monostation which lasted about 30 seconds.
Old 20th July 2019
  #1178
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveItAll View Post
I wanted the drums to pair with a MachineDrum without the UW sampling. It does that well. TBH the synths weren't that interesting to me. I had a mild regret when I saw the monostation which lasted about 30 seconds.
i love my mono station simply for being able to add motion sequencing to any cv gear. i use the envelope and lfo output to modulate cv stuff all the time and motion record the parameters. it's great stuffs. not to mention the actual mod sequence and gate/note output. also the patch flipping allowing me to use it as an analogue drum machine is quite unique. its audio input is underrated as well as you can boost the signal to usable levels unlike most synths with an input. it's quite versatile. a volca sample can replace the regular circuit drums for less money and more features. nothing for the price can really replace the mono stations patch flipping or cv modulation and sequencing'

again this is all assuming you don't need poly. for the price it's hard to find any other poly synth or sequencer. but i'd argue the regular circuit shines as a portable sketch pad . the 2 poly synths and drums combined for the price you can make near full songs on the thing with chords, bass, drums, whatever.
Old 20th July 2019
  #1179
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wentzelitis View Post
a volca sample can replace the regular circuit drums for less money and more features
That hurt! Although you don't get great the session/pattern/chaining of the Circuit.
Old 20th July 2019
  #1180
Lives for gear
Eh...I don't mind giving Novation the benefit of the doubt if they say they have an "Announcement"

In my experience, if they say they have something, they usually deliver, they also don't put half-baked gear on the market (Korg, Elektron, Roland...F%^king everybody)

They also support and upgrade their products better than anyone (which is cool, because they aren't broken to begin with, you aren't just getting something that should have been there in the first place...("Aww! Sweet! My Flagship Korg synth actually tracks pitch now! Christmas came early!)

And they've gone above and beyond twice with me in customer support.

As long as they keep that up, when they say "Hey! Check this out" I'll be more than happy to take a look, and perhaps buy.
Old 20th July 2019
  #1181
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
Eh...I don't mind giving Novation the benefit of the doubt if they say they have an "Announcement"

In my experience, if they say they have something, they usually deliver, they also don't put half-baked gear on the market (Korg, Elektron, Roland...F%^king everybody)

They also support and upgrade their products better than anyone (which is cool, because they aren't broken to begin with, you aren't just getting something that should have been there in the first place...("Aww! Sweet! My Flagship Korg synth actually tracks pitch now! Christmas came early!)

And they've gone above and beyond twice with me in customer support.

As long as they keep that up, when they say "Hey! Check this out" I'll be more than happy to take a look, and perhaps buy.
When did they say that?
Old 20th July 2019
  #1182
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0mega View Post
When did they say that?
Following
Old 20th July 2019
  #1183
Lives for gear
 
robotunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0mega View Post
When did they say that?
I don't think they've announced anything recently.

I think his saying that whenever Novation teases an upcoming product, he thinks they usually deliver something cool and fully developed. Roland and others don't inspire that same confidence in him.
Old 25th July 2019
  #1184
Lives for gear
 






my favourite circuit videos
Old 31st July 2019
  #1185
Gyu
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaocrator View Post
i have not bought Circuit yet, but prepared the templates already



what i really love about Novation gear is that every single engine parameter is MIDI controllable.

this is for sound design, of course. for important performance parameters, 8 Circuit pots is absolutely enough.
Can I ask if you made your template on the SL on the hardware itself or with a software editor?
I've got an SL 61 and I've mapped a few things just using the hardware. I did find a software editor but it wasn't much use.
Old 31st July 2019
  #1186
Lives for gear
 
robotunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyu View Post
I did find a software editor but it wasn't much use.
What problems did you run into?
Old 18th August 2019
  #1187
Lives for gear
 

hey. ok so i just decided to pay attention to the Circuit. can't quite face reading all of this thread to dig out the info i need.

can somebody please give me a quick low-down on it? - particularly from user-sample end - at current stage of updates etc.

there appears to be a subsequent 'monostation' model; so what's the main difference there?

please excuse if you've just gone through all of this. just treat it as a recap'.
novation page is not fantastic.

am aware it has 2 novation VA synth parts, onboard drum sounds, and it looks like it loads up to 60secs user samples. appears to run standalone, with midi connections. any good as a sequencer for outboard? what else do i need to know?

(thanks)
Old 18th August 2019
  #1188
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 View Post
A 2 second search on the internet would have yielded the fact that the monostation is a monophonic analogue synthesizer like the bass station but with pads instead of keys.
my 3-second attention span got me to the main Circuit page, and eventually down to the specs.
ok, so that's a BS or a BSII? better go and have a look before i get told off :-)

i did sort of feel things fogging over a bit as i read the spec tbh.

ok, got it: BSII
(realised i don't usually like Novation product demo videos)
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1189
Lives for gear
 
namnibor's Avatar
Novation demos on circuit and ongoing updates have been explicit and clear. Make sure all you kiddies eat your psychotropic breakfast capsules before reading user manuals, which do require reading, but also make good partners to psychotropic flakes.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1190
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
can somebody please give me a quick low-down on it? - particularly from user-sample end - at current stage of updates etc.
Quick, easy, fun, and creative despite its limitations ("only" two synth engines + four sample tracks). You are almost guaranteed to come up with something after a few minutes of idle twiddling.

You can load up to 64 mono samples (via the sw editor), 60 seconds total for all of them (I don't know the max length of each sample).

Only four monophonic sample tracks, but each step of each track can be a different sample. Four knob controls for each track, fixed to pitch, decay, distortion, filter. Each sample track is also fixed to specific note values, so no playing samples melodically, although there is a workaround template out there.

Quote:
any good as a sequencer for outboard? what else do i need to know?
Pretty good; quick, easy, intuitive with some cool features: six possible microsteps per note, gate per step, eight patterns (chainable) for each synth track, patterns can be from one to 16 steps in length. Only two chord/melody tracks though, so sequencing external gear means giving up control over one or both of the internal synths engines..which is not a huge, huge loss. They're okay for what they are (cutdown versions of the UltraNova), but I wouldn't want them to be my only synth sources.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1191
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
psychotropic flakes.
you mean the people featured in the demos ? :p
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1192
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by watari banzai View Post
Quick, easy, fun, and creative despite its limitations
ok. changing samples per step seems quite different. wonder how that works out
with just 60 secs sampling time (around 4mb ?) - and why they didn't make it more. initially i thought this just had factory samples.

i quite like the idea of the Launchpad style interface - i'm perplexed why they don't just make a Launchpad that runs standalone without computer, with an SD slot and usb loading like an mpc1000. i think something like that would sell well.
you could do all sorts of things with a grid of buttons like that in terms of programming and inserting data. a kind of minimalist interface with deep functionality once you got the hang of it. midi i/o, give a couple of aux outputs...
slimline, lightweight, 40x40cm, 16x16 buttons, that kind of thing.
???
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1193
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
ok. changing samples per step seems quite different. wonder how that works out
with just 60 secs sampling time (around 4mb ?) - and why they didn't make it more. initially i thought this just had factory samples.
Initially it did only have factory drum samples, that's why there's so little space. The ability to swap these for wtv you want is something they added later and wasn't part of the initial plans.

What Circuit started as is very different from what it is today after all the updates.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1194
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
i'm perplexed why they don't just make a Launchpad that runs standalone without computer, with an SD slot and usb loading like an mpc1000. i think something like that would sell well.
It's called Deluge and it seems it does sell well. Just, it's not Novation product, and it is 3x more money than Circuit.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1195
Lives for gear
 

BTW, I have one question for Circuit owners: on Ultra/Mininova user can selection between free running oscillators, or oscillator restart on note on (with control of initial phase). There is no such control on Circuit editor, so, are oscillators in Circuit free running or they reset on begging of note?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1196
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by recnsci View Post
It's called Deluge and it seems it does sell well. Just, it's not Novation product, and it is 3x more money than Circuit.
indeed. that is pretty much what was described.
Novation really missed the boat on that.
and it was so obvious... (as soon as Launchpad was out)
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1197
Lives for gear
 
robotunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by recnsci View Post
BTW, I have one question for Circuit owners: on Ultra/Mininova user can selection between free running oscillators, or oscillator restart on note on (with control of initial phase). There is no such control on Circuit editor, so, are oscillators in Circuit free running or they reset on begging of note?
There is an option in the software editor to set LFO behavior to free-running or key sync.

Each Circuit synth is pretty much a 2-osc version of the Ultranova. It can't upload 'Nova sysex, though.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1198
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes View Post
There is an option in the software editor to set LFO behavior to free-running or key sync.

Each Circuit synth is pretty much a 2-osc version of the Ultranova. It can't upload 'Nova sysex, though.
I know about LFOs, but I ask about (audio) oscillators. There is control for osc key reset / init phase in Ultra/Mini, but there is no such control in Circuit editor as far as I can see.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1199
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by recnsci View Post
It's called Deluge and it seems it does sell well. Just, it's not Novation product, and it is 3x more money than Circuit.
I’d buy one if they sold it at GC or Sweetwater. I’m not about to make an international order to try something.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1200
Lives for gear
 
robotunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by recnsci View Post
I know about LFOs, but I ask about (audio) oscillators. There is control for osc key reset / init phase in Ultra/Mini, but there is no such control in Circuit editor as far as I can see.
Ah, I misread your comment. Pretty sure the oscillators reset at key-on. And you're right, I don't remember a setting for osc phase or key reset.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump