The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gear Porn thread - pics of your slutty setups Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 22nd April 2018
  #14791
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
will you get another (606)?

there is also Paul Barker's RE606. a faithful replica, identical pcb and parts. savings on the price aren't as substantial as with RE303, but still think its nice getting a new, problem free machine with the same old sound.

im having the RE303 built as we speak to replace my semi functional ill fated 303 i sold long time ago.
Yes, absolutely and will get an RE606 once it appears. I almost bought a drum dokta II to make up in the interim! What Paul does is wonderful ... might get an RE303 anway just so I've got a spare!

I bought a lovely 606 from the guy I bought the 808/303 off, but sadly the tech had an awful fire and it was in the workshop at the time, having been cleaned and serviced but awaiting some mods. He'll make that up to me at some point, nice guy I'm just glad he saved himself and his house.
Old 22nd April 2018
  #14792
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
Do you remember when Jerry dates Pam on Seinfeld and she is absolutely perfect except for the blue scrunchy she wears in her hair? That's how I feel about this pic. The blue scrunchy would be the 8P. I'd change it for an Alpha Juno. Beyond that you had me at XOX.


You'd never take my 8P away from me unless I managed to get a Jupiter! It actually sounds gorgeous with it's high-strings pad layered under the JD's strings ... nice mix of sample and bottom end going on.

I use my 8P all the time. I know it's got it's limits, but for me it's gorgeous for what it does
Old 22nd April 2018
  #14793
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
The reason the 101 looks knackered is that is the Tubbutec midi ports sticking out of the battery compartment - they're taped up
Old 22nd April 2018
  #14794
Lives for gear
 
lestermagneto's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
there is also Paul Barker's RE606. a faithful replica, identical pcb and parts. savings on the price aren't as substantial as with RE303, but still think its nice getting a new, problem free machine with the same old sound.
.
NOT the same Paul Barker from Ministry right?
Old 22nd April 2018
  #14795
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
No, English guy who lives in Sweden

Anyway, I've given up with the rebuild for now - I just realised I've put the "rack" with my RME UFX about 6 feet from my drum machines and given I use headphones, that's never going to work ... I need to plan this out a bit better
Old 22nd April 2018
  #14796
Lives for gear
 
Mushy Mushy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
No, English guy who lives in Sweden

Anyway, I've given up with the rebuild for now - I just realised I've put the "rack" with my RME UFX about 6 feet from my drum machines and given I use headphones, that's never going to work ... I need to plan this out a bit better
Cable extender for the 'phones?
Old 22nd April 2018
  #14797
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
Nah, it will just mean the cable stretches across my computer desk, spilling red wine all over something ... I'm going to move the main computer desk diagonal across a corner I think, I can then possibly get everything in easier reach.

I'm trying to sit with a computer in front of me and the monitors on either side of the screen, as you are meant to ... but now everything else is miles away. As you can see from the before pic below, the monitors were just nonsense. I don't use them much, but still - I should be able to.

I need to bite the bullet and buy some stands I think. Too much kit for it all just to be tabletop

This is how it was (ignore state of the place, loft getting redone). I found myself stretching too much, but I think it was probably the optimal position after all ... the 101 and 909/808 were at my fingers and they are what I tend to start with. Now everything is too far away from me.

Gear Porn thread - pics of your slutty setups-image1.jpg

This also doubles as my home office, so I need to be able to stick my macbook somewhere during the day. Also limited by stairwell coming up the middle of the room. It's a decent sized loft, but the stairs hinder the useable floorspace a bit
Attached Thumbnails
Gear Porn thread - pics of your slutty setups-image1.jpg  
Old 22nd April 2018
  #14798
Lives for gear
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
The floor--cables, floorboxes, etc, is one of the most things important to keep clean in my experience. It makes a large difference.
Old 22nd April 2018
  #14799
Gear Addict
 
Infidel's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
Nah, it will just mean the cable stretches across my computer desk, spilling red wine all over something ... I'm going to move the main computer desk diagonal across a corner I think, I can then possibly get everything in easier reach.

I'm trying to sit with a computer in front of me and the monitors on either side of the screen, as you are meant to ... but now everything else is miles away. As you can see from the before pic below, the monitors were just nonsense. I don't use them much, but still - I should be able to.

I need to bite the bullet and buy some stands I think. Too much kit for it all just to be tabletop

This is how it was (ignore state of the place, loft getting redone). I found myself stretching too much, but I think it was probably the optimal position after all ... the 101 and 909/808 were at my fingers and they are what I tend to start with. Now everything is too far away from me.

Gear Porn thread - pics of your slutty setups-image1.jpg

This also doubles as my home office, so I need to be able to stick my macbook somewhere during the day. Also limited by stairwell coming up the middle of the room. It's a decent sized loft, but the stairs hinder the useable floorspace a bit
I watched Henning Baer's EB vid a couple weeks ago and it inspired me to rethink my set up. So I have started to rearrange too. His taste in gear is quite similar to ours and he makes a point of talking about the ergonomics of his studio. One thing I liked was how he had laptop stands to lift the drum machines off the desk to fit more gear on the surface. Everything is close at hand. He sure has a nice over flow of kit in the background too.

Old 22nd April 2018
  #14800
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
The floor--cables, floorboxes, etc, is one of the most things important to keep clean in my experience. It makes a large difference.
I'm fine with all that though, I am going to stick a bunch of coat-hooks on the wall so I can run cables along it. I'm not in that bad of a cable hell, just ergonomic hell
Old 22nd April 2018
  #14801
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
I watched Henning Baer's EB vid a couple weeks ago and it inspired me to rethink my set up. So I have started to rearrange too. His taste in gear is quite similar to ours and he makes a point of talking about the ergonomics of his studio. One thing I liked was how he had laptop stands to lift the drum machines off the desk to fit more gear on the surface. Everything is close at hand. He sure has a nice over flow of kit in the background too.
Good shout thanks, I'll watch that.

I was up in a vintage warehouse today getting some furniture and oddly enough quite a few things looked useful, with wooden racks etc. Might buy some and see if they work - I resent spending a hundred quid on a bit of MDF, but don't mind buying teak
Old 22nd April 2018
  #14802
Gear Addict
 
Infidel's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
Good shout thanks, I'll watch that.

I was up in a vintage warehouse today getting some furniture and oddly enough quite a few things looked useful, with wooden racks etc. Might buy some and see if they work - I resent spending a hundred quid on a bit of MDF, but don't mind buying teak
Definitely a nice studio. Wouldn't be out of place here.

Vintage furniture for vintage gear. Could be a market for that.
Old 23rd April 2018
  #14803
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
Attempting to rejig my disaster of a setup!

Looking good!
Old 23rd April 2018
  #14804
Gear Addict
 
kr283's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenD202 View Post
so many synths in this thread, but I haven't used keyboards for many years. maybe someday I will find one I enjoy AND can afford.

I built my own 3u90hp eurorack case so I could expand beyond the 3u104hp skiff I've had for a while. Next up is to diy a box for the old Vestax / VestaFire 4U fx with 2 guitar pedals in there as an fx lunchbox.
I have a Boss BX-80 around here too that I use to submix the 9090 with synth work sometimes, its awesome for that!
AW16G
Old 23rd April 2018
  #14805
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
Well after a couple of attempts and finding reach was an issue, I realised I could create a U-shape and still leave plenty of room between the leg of the U that pokes into the middle of the room and the stairwell that comes up to the room, so that I now have a proper posture and a home office as well.

Pretty chuffed - I have my 101 and JX8P to hand as controller keyboards (my 101 has midi out), reach the 909 and also my new JD-990. I've got to stand for the 303 and 707 but that's ok, I don't normally start with them anyway.

On the JD-990, I just found a bunch of patches on a warez site from some "Frank Solaris" guy or something like that, can't wait to load them up later

The only problem I now realise is that it looks like quite a lot of kit - her indoors will notice my "shadow spending" and I don't think she's going to believe it's just all old tape decks

Will get some more shelves as discussed, to make my drum table more accessible, but other than that I'm good to go for now, except I'm clean out of inputs on my UFX so I need to get that Behri 8200 I've been promising myself.... I've also got room left to setup my Poly61 and R70 once they're both fixed.

Gear Porn thread - pics of your slutty setups-image1.jpg

Gear Porn thread - pics of your slutty setups-image2.jpg

Gear Porn thread - pics of your slutty setups-image3.jpg

Gear Porn thread - pics of your slutty setups-image4.jpg

Gear Porn thread - pics of your slutty setups-image5.jpg

Gear Porn thread - pics of your slutty setups-image6.jpg

Gear Porn thread - pics of your slutty setups-image7.jpg

Gear Porn thread - pics of your slutty setups-image8.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Gear Porn thread - pics of your slutty setups-image1.jpg   Gear Porn thread - pics of your slutty setups-image2.jpg   Gear Porn thread - pics of your slutty setups-image3.jpg   Gear Porn thread - pics of your slutty setups-image4.jpg   Gear Porn thread - pics of your slutty setups-image5.jpg  

Gear Porn thread - pics of your slutty setups-image6.jpg   Gear Porn thread - pics of your slutty setups-image7.jpg   Gear Porn thread - pics of your slutty setups-image8.jpg  
Old 23rd April 2018
  #14806
Lives for gear
 
Mushy Mushy's Avatar
 

^ wow, super nice. Love it
Old 23rd April 2018
  #14807
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
I've left the main desk out from the wall, so I can stick my monitors behind them once I buy a set of stands.

It's a pain in the backside - I had so much kit like that, the silly stuff you need like stands etc. but when we moved to Australia I gave most of it away .... now it's costing me to go and buy new stuff! Gumtree in Scotland isn't as busy as down south, so it's not like I have easy access to local second hand stuff.... ah well, I am fortunate enough.
Old 24th April 2018
  #14808
Lives for gear
 
raffor's Avatar
 

This is work in progress. But here is the current state:
Attached Thumbnails
Gear Porn thread - pics of your slutty setups-img_2737.jpg  
Old 24th April 2018
  #14809
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffor View Post
This is work in progress. But here is the current state:
Great space! I like the wall mounted rugs.

What are you using as a keyboard stand there in the corner?
Old 24th April 2018
  #14810
Lives for gear
 
raffor's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild View Post
Great space! I like the wall mounted rugs.

What are you using as a keyboard stand there in the corner?
Thanks! The rugs are actually thin sheets I bought way back in India. I always liked their pattern. The rack is from Ikea: Broder. I cannot find it, so I believe they don't make it anymore.
Old 24th April 2018
  #14811
Gear Addict
 
Endorfinity's Avatar
nice sheets *_*
Old 24th April 2018
  #14812
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
The reason the 101 looks knackered is that is the Tubbutec midi ports sticking out of the battery compartment - they're taped up
There are battery lid replacements by Technology Transplant.
I bought a blue one before I got my Tubbutec kit.
No need for you to cut holes into original parts, and no need for your SH-101 to look knackered...

Cheers,
Bert
Old 24th April 2018
  #14813
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feinstrom View Post
There are battery lid replacements by Technology Transplant.
I bought a blue one before I got my Tubbutec kit.
No need for you to cut holes into original parts, and no need for your SH-101 to look knackered...

Cheers,
Bert
I bought one, it didn't fit properly and got stuck in the battery slot and I had to cut the @^*$*@$ thing out, damaging my 101 case at the same time - I had intended to do exactly what you suggested

So now I don't have a battery compartment cover again
Old 24th April 2018
  #14814
Whoops, sorry to hear that!
Mine was a bit tight, but it worked.

Cheers,
Bert
Old 24th April 2018
  #14815
Lives for gear
 
astraeus000's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffor View Post
This is work in progress. But here is the current state:
Chroma Polaris amidst the super-slutty awesome gear.

Definitely an under-appreciated synth I think. Did you have to replace the panels yet on yours ? I bought a set a few years back, but my current panel is still functional.

My first Polaris panel blew out after opening it to check the big original cell batteries inside for corrosion. My current Polaris has those same original type of D cell batteries with 3/4 charge still. Amazing, that's like what, 30+ years !?!
Old 25th April 2018
  #14816
Lives for gear
 
raffor's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraeus000 View Post
Chroma Polaris amidst the super-slutty awesome gear.

Definitely an under-appreciated synth I think. Did you have to replace the panels yet on yours ? I bought a set a few years back, but my current panel is still functional.

My first Polaris panel blew out after opening it to check the big original cell batteries inside for corrosion. My current Polaris has those same original type of D cell batteries with 3/4 charge still. Amazing, that's like what, 30+ years !?!
Thanks for your comments. My Polaris has still the original panel. However, I bought one spare from Paul a while ago, just in case.
Old 25th April 2018
  #14817
Gear Maniac
Compared to the other setups in this thread, the best part of my studio/room ; is my view (and not the equipment). I'm not complaining and consider myself fortunate! Clockwise from desk... Arturia Laboratory (controls ITB synths, and iPad), iPad Pro, iConnnectMIDI4+ stacked with Strymon BigSky, AxiomPro61 (controls OB-6 and others), top tier = OB-6 and Beatstep Pro, Mixer/Audio interface is a Yamaha MG10XU, right lower tier is FA-06, upper is my JD-XA. Have a couple of pedals ducked under here and there. My mic stand doubles as a headset crane.
Attached Thumbnails
Gear Porn thread - pics of your slutty setups-studioapr2018.jpg  
Old 25th April 2018
  #14818
Cozy setup!
Just you wait for those comments regarding your speaker placement...

Cheers,
Bert
Old 25th April 2018
  #14819
Lives for gear
 
mikefellh's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoo View Post
Compared to the other setups in this thread, the best part of my studio/room ; is my view
If you use that as a positive to inspire you, and not daydream!
Old 25th April 2018
  #14820
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffor View Post
Thanks! The rugs are actually thin sheets I bought way back in India. I always liked their pattern. The rack is from Ikea: Broder. I cannot find it, so I believe they don't make it anymore.
Mandalas I've got them all around my place, can get them on line, I love the ambience they create..
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
James Lugo / So many guitars, so little time
394
STF / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
66
sarza73 / High end
2
RichT / So much gear, so little time
14

Forum Jump
Forum Jump