The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
POLY-ANA synth..... absolutely stunning sounding Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 14th August 2015
Gear Maniac

POLY-ANA :s

Last edited by Will Broduer; 24th September 2015 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: completely changed my mind about this product
Old 14th August 2015
Lives for gear

the poly-ana always makes its way into synth articles. not seen it mentioned as much on gs though. but i would love a go on that custom controller the guy built for it.
Old 14th August 2015
Lives for gear

Old 14th August 2015
Lives for gear

There are two reasons why Poly-Ana doesn't get a lot of attention:

1) It has a default skin that can make it incredibly tiresome to program. On top of the skeuomorphism, it has this weird pseudo-3D design that can make it hard to look at for any length of time.
2) Even run at stupidly high sample rates it can alias like a mofo, and on some patches you wouldn't expect it. Apparently, this was fixed in the latest version by adding an anti-aliasing option that is supposed to deal with the sounds that are most prone to aliasing.

The developer also gets into forum fights a lot. That's not a great help either.

However, for old skool 70s synths sounds, it does sound quite creamy (assuming you don't hit the aliasing).
Old 14th August 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZangTumblyTumble View Post
There are two reasons why Poly-Ana doesn't get a lot of attention:

1) It has a default skin that can make it incredibly tiresome to program. On top of the skeuomorphism, it has this weird pseudo-3D design that can make it hard to look at for any length of time.
2) Even run at stupidly high sample rates it can alias like a mofo, and on some patches you wouldn't expect it. Apparently, this was fixed in the latest version by adding an anti-aliasing option that is supposed to deal with the sounds that are most prone to aliasing.

The developer also gets into forum fights a lot. That's not a great help either.

However, for old skool 70s synths sounds, it does sound quite creamy (assuming you don't hit the aliasing).
The new skin is looking promising, although still buggy. The developer has been nice to me personally, although I have seen some of the drama online unfortunately.
Old 14th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZangTumblyTumble View Post
Wow - no joke.

Looks worse than G1 Rebirth.
Old 14th August 2015
Sounds thin to me.
Old 14th August 2015
Lives for gear
it's a very intersting synth

well worth looking at

the rest is not so important,
as long as the developer is not part time mass murderer.

we all are not that easy (sometimes)...

Last edited by TonStrom; 14th August 2015 at 05:10 PM..
Old 14th August 2015
Lives for gear

Love it for creamy brassy patches!
Old 14th August 2015
R7P
Gear Nut

I would say out of the current crop of analog modelling VSTs that Diva is the clear winner soundwise. It has some really realistic behavior in the filters that I haven't heard in other VSTs. Turn up the Bite filter so it's adding some distortion and then do a LP filter sweep and it it grabs onto all these harmonics and sounds so organic.

I've tested Poly Ana, Lush 101 and Tal Bassline (sounds amazing but is a bit light on features) and if I was going to buy an analog emulation VST, Diva just sounds better and is loaded with features.
Old 19th August 2015
Lives for gear

[first off, i'll be damned if this isn't some sort of shill. that's ok though, at this point the dev can use any help he can get.]

i recently tried out the demo after complaining about the interface, just to see if the sound was worth putting up with it.

in general, just going by the presets (yeah, i know) i wasn't too impressed with it as a typical synth. for the most part i just got a cold 'digital VA' vibe off it with most typical 'synth' patches. even getting further into it, programming my own sounds, it's not something that i'd go to for most any 'synth' sound (bass, leads, pads, etc). i have some favorites for those sounds, and Poly-Ana just doesn't give me the same feeling that i get from using those.

however, thanks to its plentiful mod routings, this thing is fantastic for all sorts of "modular" and experimental synth sounds which would be hard or impossible to get from a lot of synths out there. this thing is a blast for just HOLD'ing a note/chord and playing around to see what comes out. i could recommend it for that, but there's a number of others i might choose over it for "experimental" sounds. it can sound very organic and lively, though i'd still say the base sound isn't quite up to par with some other synths. i just never really get that "oh yeah, that sounds great" feeling when using it (which i got from my old analogs and certain other softsynths).

overall, a decent synth with some great specs, but not happy with the sound compared to others. if this were my only synth i guess i could use it, but i wouldn't be happy about it. i think saying it stacks up against Monark is a bit silly, but i'd be curious to compare similar patches on both to see how they differ.
Old 13th September 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralQuality View Post
Will (not his real name, or is it?) didn't like being challenged on his disgusting 9/11 truther ideas that, respectful as he is, he chose to share with everybody on this sad anniversary, and instead of being able to back up his (indefensible, disproven a thousand times over) argument he acted out like a total baby and a hypocrite. He also seems to be a compulsive liar so watch out.

And he's also lying about the price he paid. So there you go. He paid $150 CDN, cash.

He's just taking his personal snit and trying to make it public, completely contradicting the statements in his previous posts in the process. (Liars will do that.)

He is of course still entitled to support for the product and will get it if he requests it.

- Mike/AQ
Dude, you may have legit beef with the guys opinion and that is 100% OK.

But, as a businessman you might stand to do better if you left those personal emotions and feelings separate from your company's online presence.

This synthesizer appears interesting but personally I find the interface very difficult to look at and read the parameters clearly. I use other complex software synthesizers like Diva, Massive and many Reaktor doo-dads, I believe many of those have very good GUIs.

I will keep an eye on it and if you wind up re-skinning it I'd be very interested in giving it a try.

Always great to see smaller outfits making quality stuff, good luck with it.
Old 13th September 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsue View Post
I will keep an eye on it and if you wind up re-skinning it I'd be very interested in giving it a try.

Always great to see smaller outfits making quality stuff, good luck with it.
We have re-skinned it. There's many different choices for skins now.

http://www.admiralquality.com/produc...hp#Limeflavour
Old 13th September 2015
Lives for gear

nice. good job.
Old 13th September 2015
Lives for gear

Sounds thin, maybe a rusty skin will make it more warm and analog?
Old 13th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Limeflavour does his magic again. This is the best skin for Poly-Ana out of them all, IMHO.

Makes it totally usable again
Old 14th September 2015
Lives for gear

so..... can we all have the Poly-Annabelle for free now?
Old 15th September 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk View Post
so..... can we all have the Poly-Annabelle for free now?
No. But it runs in demo mode for free, forever. You can even save and recall your work, the only limitation is occasional short silent gaps in the audio output. So get it, get working with it immediately, and see if you can live without it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I'm sure when v2 is released I'll upgrade with no reservations.
Due to our Upgrade Protection Policy, you already have a license good until the end of v2.x. (You will see this in the text of your key file.) Considering we're still on version 1.x after almost 9 years of support and improvements, I think that represents a pretty good ROI...

AdmiralQuality.com - Poly-Ana Changes List

You're welcome.

[additional content removed by moderator]

Last edited by Don Solaris; 24th September 2015 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: offtopic
Old 23rd September 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
I think it would look much better with a drop down for the mod sections just to minimise the impact, it looks great but too busy.
You can switch between dials and dropdowns for any of the skins. Just click on the product name to bring up the Options Dialog and select "Mod Sources as Dropdown Lists".

Dials:

Dropdowns:

Old 24th September 2015
Gear Addict

Dials:

Dropdowns:

By the way, I've got a new kind of "dial" (not really a dial at all but it uses a circular control mode) coming soon that I think a lot of people who don't like the "TV channel" dials now might prefer, but there's a little issue I need to iron out first that will be fixed in the next update, coming any day now. (Right now circular controls where the MouseArea is offset significantly from the image center are being controlled with the center in the wrong position. Works, but looks and feels wrong. Once that update is out I'll release the new control as well as the JKnobMan project I used to make it. It's quite cool looking!)
Old 24th September 2015
hey, is "ibtl" still a Thing?
Old 24th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dropdowns:

By the way, I've got a new kind of "dial" (not really a dial at all but it uses a circular control mode) coming soon that I think a lot of people who don't like the "TV channel" dials now might prefer, but there's a little issue I need to iron out first that will be fixed in the next update, coming any day now. (Right now circular controls where the MouseArea is offset significantly from the image center are being controlled with the center in the wrong position. Works, but looks and feels wrong. Once that update is out I'll release the new control as well as the JKnobMan project I used to make it. It's quite cool looking!)
Ah very cool, nice to see, I especially like that.!! Superb

I do really love the detailed circular dials on the other skin by the way and the way they look, just felt a bit squeezed and a lot of detail that may push me away rag the than draw me in. The above image however is totally inviting IMO.nhell we are all different thank f**k for that.
Old 24th September 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
IMO.nhell we are all different thank f**k for that.
That's exactly why we added the new Custom Skins feature. One thing I've learned very well after 9+ years in this business is there's no pleasing everybody.
Old 24th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's exactly why we added the new Custom Skins feature. One thing I've learned very well after 9+ years in this business is there's no pleasing everybody.
Anybody in business knows that much pal, keep at it.
Old 24th September 2015
Gear Addict

Hey Mike, I used Poly-Ana to create the spooky ambient music on my 9/11 Truther vids. Hope you don't mind.
Old 24th September 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Tool View Post
Hey Mike, I used Poly-Ana to create the spooky ambient music on my 9/11 Truther vids. Hope you don't mind.
As long as you're a paying customer and I don't have to read your crap on FB, go crazy.
Old 2nd October 2015
Gear Addict

Poly-Ana 1.30 Beta 7 is out. Tooltips color can now be customized, and some minor bug fixes in the GUI, one of which enables cool new controls like these.

That will finish the new Custom Skins feature. Just the new Anti-Aliasing feature to finish and the Beta (and 25% off offer) will be over. So if you haven't tried it yet, now's a great time to.

AdmiralQuality.com - Poly-Ana

Let's try to move this discussion over to this thread if we can so I'm not cross-posting in two threads. Thanks!

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11374844-post10.html
Old 2nd October 2015
Lives for gear

I'm late to this game, but this is one of the best synthesizers I have ever heard/demoed/played in person.
And I mean best in general. Not just softsynths. Not just digital. All together.

Just demoing this with Valhalla Vintage Verb on top sends me to different dimensions.
Old 3rd October 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarelch View Post
I'm late to this game, but this is one of the best synthesizers I have ever heard/demoed/played in person.
And I mean best in general. Not just softsynths. Not just digital. All together.

Just demoing this with Valhalla Vintage Verb on top sends me to different dimensions.
Always great to hear that, thanks for saying so! Please help spread the word!
Old 4th October 2015
Gear Addict

Last edited by AdmiralQuality; 6th November 2015 at 07:29 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search