The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Emu xl-7 os 2.0?
Old 8th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Emu xl-7 os 2.0?

OK, so EMU no longer provides OS 2.0, and the files section of the XL-7 yahoo group seems to be defunct as well. Would some kind soul provide me the software necessary to update my EMU XL-7 to the most current OS? I think it requires the EMU E-manager software and OS 2.0. I read of an Addendum to 2.0 as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 8th August 2015
Lives for gear

Stuff. Things.
Attached Files
File Type: zip XX-7 OS 2.0 Addendum More.zip (1.08 MB, 236 views) File Type: pdf E-LoaderOperationManual.pdf (796.2 KB, 240 views) File Type: zip READ BEFORE INSTALLING.zip (2.3 KB, 186 views) File Type: zip E-Loader_1.1_Install OSX.zip (2.78 MB, 172 views) File Type: zip E-Loader 1.1 Installer Windows.zip (8.63 MB, 180 views)

Last edited by Rusty_OHara; 9th August 2015 at 04:10 AM..
Old 9th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_OHara View Post
Stuff. Things.
Thanks so much, Rusty! I can't wait to try out the new OS.
Old 9th August 2015
Lives for gear

-How do I update the Operating System for the Command Stations?

The current OS can be downloaded from the E-Mu website.

The procedure for installing the new Operating System is simple and uses the current version of E-Loader.

Once you install E-Loader, power on your Command Station while holding the ENTER button, placing the Command Station in OS receive mode.

Launch E-Loader and make sure your Command Station is connected with both its MIDI in and MIDI A out ports to your computer's MIDI interface.

You must use the MIDI ports to update the Operating System, the USB port does not currently work for this in E-Loader.

Next select the OS Downloader menu option, and navigate to the folder where you downloaded and unzipped the new OS. There's two files that need to be transferred to the Command Station during an OS update if you do not have OS 1.18 or later installed currently.

If you are running a newer OS, you only need to select the second file.

The first file is "commandprep10.dli", select that one and download it to your Command Station.

After a few minutes you will be prompted to “Press Enter To Commit OS To Flash”, do so now. Once done, power off your Command Station and then power back on holding ENTER again.
This time download the file "command200.dli" (or whatever the most current OS file is) to the Command Station, and press Enter again when prompted.

Last edited by Rusty_OHara; 9th August 2015 at 03:54 AM..
Old 9th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baethku View Post
Thanks so much, Rusty! I can't wait to try out the new OS.
You're welcome

I uploaded some more stuff, see my previous posts.

Includes the E-Loader for OSX and Windows... you might need an old machine, when I updated my command station I did it on a WinXP box.

Stupid E-Mu deciding to use their own custom loader

Read the instructions... there is a preloader file commandprep10.dli to be processed before command200.dli if I recall correctly.
Old 9th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Fantastic. I was wondering where the E-Loader program might be. I found it at another website, but thank you for putting this all in one convenient place. I just switched over to my sad little Acer netbook to try to pull this off. Wish me luck! And, really, thanks again.
Old 9th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Fantastic. I was wondering where the E-Loader program might be. I found it at another website, but thank you for putting this all in one convenient place. I just switched over to my sad little Acer netbook to try to pull this off. Wish me luck! And, really, thanks again.
Old 9th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Old 9th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Wonderful! I was wondering about the E-Loader software. I found it on another website, but I'll use this link. I have moved over to my sad little Acer netbook to try to do this thing. It' ancient and crappy, but it is the only XP machine I have. Wish me luck! And thanks again.
Old 9th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Wonderful! I was wondering about the E-Loader software. I found it on another website, but I'll use this link. I have moved over to my sad little Acer netbook to try to do this thing. It' ancient and crappy, but it is the only XP machine I have. Wish me luck! And thanks again.
Old 9th August 2015
Lives for gear

Really excited about the E-Loader software hey?
Old 9th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
You're welcome

I uploaded some more stuff, see my previous posts.

Includes the E-Loader for OSX and Windows... you might need an old machine, when I updated my command station I did it on a WinXP box.

Stupid E-Mu deciding to use their own custom loader

Read the instructions... there is a preloader file commandprep10.dli to be processed before command200.dli if I recall correctly.
Thanks so much for all of this. I am working with my crappy little Acer Netbook to try to do this. We'll see how it goes! Thanks again.

ETA: Just wanted you to know that the prep .dll loaded successfully, and now I am in the process of loading 2.0 onto the XL-7. Everything looks good!

I can't believe that little cheap-o Netbook, so old, is doing the job!

Last edited by baethku; 9th August 2015 at 05:06 AM.. Reason: Update
Old 9th August 2015
Gear Maniac

The whole thing was a success. Whew! I thought I would never get this thing updated. Great machine, the Command Station. Now it is just that much better. Thanks very much, Rusty. It all worked quite smoothly.
Old 9th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
The whole thing was a success. Whew! I thought I would never get this thing updated. Great machine, the Command Station. Now it is just that much better. Thanks very much, Rusty. It all worked quite smoothly.
Great to hear! Enjoy. There is a great thread by Balma here about them.
Old 9th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Great to hear! Enjoy. There is a great thread by Balma here about them.
Yes, Balma's boosting of the Command Station, and his amazing examples of what it can do, inspired me to buy this. What I did not know, unfortunately, was that the person who sold me mine had not updated to the latest OS. As I recall, he told me that he had restored it to its original OS. At the time, it did not register that this was not a good thing. It wasn't until I read up on the Command Station a little more and discovered that EMU had completely abandoned its legacy products that I started to see I was in trouble.

Well, not too much trouble, thanks to your generosity.
Old 15th September 2015
Here for the gear

Thank you Rusty ! 4 the OS 2.0

i am search a manual in German !
thanks and best regards
from Germany
Old 28th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
OK, so EMU no longer provides OS 2.0, and the files section of the XL-7 yahoo group seems to be defunct as well.
To the best of my knowledge the files section of the XL-7 Yahoo was not defunct when this message was posted. I will double check.
Addendum: Still there. Yahoo! Groups I don't think it was ever gone, though perhaps if people had links to the pre-neo version, those were dead. I forget when Yahoo! switched to neo; maybe it was in 2015.
Steve
Old 22nd October 2018
Anyone have issues with an Install Anywhere unavailable message?

Anyone have issues with an Install Anywhere unavailable message? I'm trying to update and reloaded Mac OS9. When I try installing the eloader program, it says it can't find the Install Anywhere.

I've tried a number of different methods – most recently throwing OS9 on an old Mac iBook. When I try to install eloader I'm getting an "Install Anywhere" unavailable/not found message. I also setup a virtualbox install with windows 98 and XP, however my current interfaces (mbox 2 & presonus firebase) aren't communicating through the virtualbox install. I ordered a simple midi to usb converter hoping that removes the driver need, after reading/digging through some other info.

Any help/leads to a resolve would be massive. I don't have access to a windows pc, but I have access to multiple macs (ibook, g4, pros, etc) and most of the software (OS9, OSX, W98, WXP). Not familiar with Install Anywhere that eloader is using, but after doing some more digging I'm not above trying to recreate one. Just think I'm over engineering by trying to solve a problem that might already have a solution. Thanks for any help

Last edited by crrollyson; 22nd October 2018 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: Additional context
Old 7th January 2019
Gear Head

New E-mu firmware update utility available

I've written a new firmware update utility that runs inside Google Chrome using the Web MIDI API. It works on macOS, and should work just the same on Windows and Linux.

It's at emu.tools
Old 28th June 2019
Here for the gear

Emu Flash ROMs

Hi Alnitak !
I've just bought an Emu Command Station and whilst looking for info and resources, I found some of your posts discussing the Flash ROMs.
You say that you have a device which can read the sound ROM's, and which 'may' be able to write to them?
Have you got any further with testing this?

Having the ability to get our own samples into the Proteus / Command Stations etc would be fantastic!
I'm considering purchasing an E4XT if there is some way to aquire / manufacture the sound ROMs.... may even get one and connect via MIDI to the Command Station anyway...

Also would like to say a big thank you for providing the https://emu.tools/ website... and excited to see what is 'Coming soon...'

Best regards !

Last edited by Dobloz; 28th June 2019 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: spelling change!
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobloz View Post
Hi Alnitak !
I've just bought an Emu Command Station and whilst looking for info and resources, I found some of your posts discussing the Flash ROMs.
You say that you have a device which can read the sound ROM's, and which 'may' be able to write to them?
Have you got any further with testing this?
It's slightly stalled - I'm still having problems getting the erase/write sequence working correctly.

Quote:
Having the ability to get our own samples into the Proteus / Command Stations etc would be fantastic!

Yes, yes it would!

Quote:
I'm considering purchasing an E4XT if there is some way to aquire / manufacture the sound ROMs.... may even get one and connect via MIDI to the Command Station anyway...
Any E4 Ultra series can be used to generate Proteus / CS compatible ROMs. I have an E4XT Ultra arriving soon, at which point my E6400 Ultra will be surplus to requirements.

Quote:
Also would like to say a big thank you for providing the https://emu.tools/ website... and excited to see what is 'Coming soon...'
Thanks!

The next "coming soon" is a web-based version of the ERemote software that allows remote control of the front panel of an E4 series sampler over MIDI.

Next after that I'm hoping to add a system for loading and saving P2500 / Command Station sequences.
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Nut

Alnitak, if i understand correctly you'll be able to write new samples and sequences on any Proteus 2000-style ROMs ?!?

(I knew those roms have copy/writing protection)

Is this hardware writing device made by you?

or I am mislead?

ps: in the case of the sequences can you do a midi translator so we can transform short midi files to the command station format?

Thank you so much!

Quote:

Yes, yes it would!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alnitak View Post
It's slightly stalled - I'm still having problems getting the erase/write sequence working correctly.

Yes, yes it would!

Any E4 Ultra series can be used to generate Proteus / CS compatible ROMs. I have an E4XT Ultra arriving soon, at which point my E6400 Ultra will be surplus to requirements.

Thanks!

The next "coming soon" is a web-based version of the ERemote software that allows remote control of the front panel of an E4 series sampler over MIDI.

Next after that I'm hoping to add a system for loading and saving P2500 / Command Station sequences.

Last edited by pluto_ro; 16th July 2019 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: i complete the post with other idea
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto_ro View Post
Alnitak, if i understand correctly you'll be able to write new samples and sequences on any Proteus 2000-style ROMs ?!?

(I knew those roms have copy/writing protection)
It's for writing to Flash SIMMs, not ROMs, although once working it'll also be able to write new preset banks to the 2MB preset memory on each ROM, for example converting a CMPSR into a PROM1. For some reason E-mu always used Flash for that instead of ROM.

Quote:
Is this hardware writing device made by you?
Yes, it's made by me, as a "science project".

Quote:
ps: in the case of the sequences can you do a midi translator so we can transform short midi files to the command station format?
I'll look into that - it actually wouldn't surprise me to find that the sequences are already in SMF format, since the demo song files in a Proteus 2000 ROM are in that format (as are the Riffs).
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Nut

Thank you for your detailed answer.

Unfortunately from what I know for years those Flash SIMMs are so rare and expensive that it is impossible to think I will get one some day so my dream about having my custom samples in my Command Station fade away...

Regarding the sequences that will be great to have the possibility of uploading our own into machine.

Quote:
It's for writing to Flash SIMMs, not ROMs, although once working it'll also be able to write new preset banks to the 2MB preset memory on each ROM, for example converting a CMPSR into a PROM1. For some reason E-mu always used Flash for that instead of ROM.

Yes, it's made by me, as a "science project".

I'll look into that - it actually wouldn't surprise me to find that the sequences are already in SMF format, since the demo song files in a Proteus 2000 ROM are in that format (as are the Riffs).
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Unfortunately from what I know for years those Flash SIMMs are so rare and expensive that it is impossible to think I will get one some day so my dream about having my custom samples in my Command Station fade away...
I have several modern clone SIMMs that work, but they're not my design.

The guy that made the PCBs had plans to make them in bulk, but I've not heard from him for a while.
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Nut

uauu really, and they work in E4 sampler to write your own flash for the Command station?

are you talking about the guy from the old yahoo forum? or is someone you known personally?

do you know how can i reach him pls?

I will love to buy at least one of those

Thanks

Quote:
I have several modern clone SIMMs that work, but they're not my design.

The guy that made the PCBs had plans to make them in bulk, but I've not heard from him for a while.
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
uauu really, and they work in E4 sampler to write your own flash for the Command station?

are you talking about the guy from the old yahoo forum? or is someone you known personally?

do you know how can i reach him pls?

I will love to buy at least one of those
It's a Polish guy I know off Facebook, and yes they work as Flash SIMMs in an E4. I just didn't manage to write to them correctly using my own device yet.

However those are using his small stock of PCBs that rely on 5V memories that are now harder to get hold of. He was planning to do a redesign using 3V memories and additional chips to swap between 3V and 5V.

I'll reach out to him for the current status of the project.
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Nut

Alnitak you are so kind for this info, thank you! <3

I never saw his project on gearslutz, I was very sad when I understand there is no solution but now maybe there is any hope That will be so great

ps: do you think you can put me in contact with him on Facebook please? I promise I will not be a stocker or anything )

Quote:
It's a Polish guy I know off Facebook, and yes they work as Flash SIMMs in an E4. I just didn't manage to write to them correctly using my own device yet.

However those are using his small stock of PCBs that rely on 5V memories that are now harder to get hold of. He was planning to do a redesign using 3V memories and additional chips to swap between 3V and 5V.

I'll reach out to him for the current status of the project.
Old 3rd August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobloz View Post
JMO, but I think the P2500/Command Station sequencing OS + hardware MIDIed to an E-Mu Ultra Sampler is light years ahead of the sampler's sequencer--for hardware recording/sequencing and real-time performance--and is an excellent combination.

PS: I haven't been around for a few months and I am delighted to see the recent/current comments on the project.

Last edited by Dr. Steve; 3rd August 2019 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: To add a PS regarding the project
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Emu Command Station hopes....

Quote:
Hi Alnitak,
whereabouts are you?

I'm in the UK, and I may be interested in the E6400 Ultra, would be good to check it out.

Also, I have just acquired a 32mb flash ROM / SIMM, which I've not been able to test in use yet, as I've not yet got an Emu Ultra to write to it....

If you are close enough, and if you are up for it, I could bring it round to try out - have a brew and investigate further...

If there is any way to bring the option of getting our own samples into the Emu Command station, I'd like to contribute!

You can put me on the list of 'buer' for the friend of yours, if such a list exists

Thanks again for sharing both your ideas and your program to do stuff with the Emu's !

Best regards
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search