The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jupiter 8 or Ob-xa?
Old 8th August 2015
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Jupiter 8 or Ob-xa?

THE QUICK VERSION:

Ob-xa and Mks-80 rev 4, OR Jupiter 8? Which can do a better job at sounding vintagey (ie: Zombi, Floyd, classic Genesis) when programmed properly?

THE FULL VERSION:

I do synth prog, in the style of Zombi and Majeure, with an influence of Pink Floyd, classic Genesis of the Tony Banks in charge era (76-84), Rush, etc. If I could sound like Zombi, especially an album like 'Spirit Animal', or Geneis in 'Wind and Wuthering' or 'Trick of the Tail,' that'd be really cool.

Right now I've got a Minimoog, Korg arp Oddy, Prophet 600 w/ gligli mod, Ob-xa, and Dave Smith Mono Evolver keys. I love the Prophet 600, maybe more than the Ob-xa. So I'm thinking of selling the Ob-xa, saving up for a jp8, if you're patient, it seems you can eventually find one thats about in the range of a memorymoog.

Overall, I like my prog to sound vintage and 70's when possible. I also like to throw in industrial influences from time to time (hence the evolver), and some post-dubstep wobble basses, which I use stuff like NI Razor for). But mostly, soaring Moog and arp lines, and haunting resonance sweeps, tape echo, long form 70's proggy soundscapes that feature the warmth and burblyness that only analog can get.

The Ob-xa has warmth and overall dark sound I like, but I'm not a fan of its filter, though I like the 4p better than 12db generally, but I do like that it sounds relatively vintage.

I haven't played the Jupiter in person (though hopefully I will soon?). But from what I can tell from videos, the Jupiter has these wonderful oscillators that waver and pulse like organic creatures, and can sound majestic and alive and do these powerful space-age sounding tones which are just great. I could just go MKS-80, and add that to the Ob-xa, but if I go Jupiter, I'd have to sell the Ob-xa.

My question: does the Jupiter always sound bright and 80s, or can it sound dark and 70's? All the videos on the internet have 80's sounds programmed in, but what would it sound like if programmed more 70's style? I know the organicness of it would fit what i do, but can it sound rich and full, or will it always sound 80s, and hence out of place in my music?

I guess what I'm asking is which will sound more vintage, the semi-discrete circuitry of the Jupiter, or the Oberheim design w/Curtis chips?

Last edited by fromthepuggle; 10th August 2015 at 09:51 PM..
Old 8th August 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would have thought that the Oberheim was perfect for your music styles. Maybe a different Oberheim would make sense? Xpander?
Agree on the gligli p600, it's a beast.
I use my jp8 for more clean eighties stuff, so I'm not sure. You might even like a jp4 more, have you looked at them? You could get a jp4 and the mks80 probably and have all sorts of very different tones with no sonic overlap.
Old 8th August 2015
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I would've thought ob-xa too, from all I heard. I do like it, and it can be massive in the way the prophet 600 isn't, but overall the prophet filter is more my style. From what I've heard the jp4 doesn't really do it for me, it's single vco per voice and I'm not that much into chorus. I really like the jp8 for it's majestic spaciness, and I do like 80's stuff, but concentrate on 70's. I guess it'd be nice to hear a demo of jupiter doing non-80's style stuff. As for Xpander, I'm not sure what it can do that the Xa can't, at least, that's musically useful, I'm not as much into bleeps and stuff, but I hear it's also less full than the Xa.

What I like about the Jp8 is the drifty oscillators. But they tend to sound glassy rather than full from what I can tell. Hmm.
Old 8th August 2015
Lives for gear

Nothing sounds more 80s than a Jupiter 8.
Old 8th August 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I prefer the sound of the Oberheim but my old Jupiter 8 was a lot more reliable and stable than the OBXa I had. Tuning was fantastic.

I found the JP8 too 80s for me. I think the OB has more inherent vintage tone though I would certainly consider a Prophet 5 as well.
Old 8th August 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthepuggle View Post
I like my prog to sound vintage and 70's when possible.
In that case you need a Hammond C3/Leslie, Mellotron, RMI piano, a Clavinet and an ARP 2600.

Stephen
Old 8th August 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I tend to pull "Pink Floyd" out of my JP8 fairly easily. Check out the song "Prayer" by my band One-Eyed Doll. The synths are JP8.

There are also real violins mixed with some of the synth parts fyi.

Old 8th August 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Korg delta worth a look?

Edit - meant to say Korg Trident. Anyhow, vintage 70s sound from that guy.

Last edited by pounce; 9th August 2015 at 05:09 PM..
Old 8th August 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
I tend to pull "Pink Floyd" out of my JP8 fairly easily. Check out the song "Prayer" by my band One-Eyed Doll. The synths are JP8.

What you do is pretty awesome. I appreciate your sound a lot. Coming from an electronic music background but also listening some Acid King, Cryptopsy, Ministry etc.

Last edited by coffee; 8th August 2015 at 08:42 PM..
Old 8th August 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bennett View Post
In that case you need a Hammond C3/Leslie, Mellotron, RMI piano, a Clavinet and an ARP 2600.

Stephen
You know, I find soft synths are fine for me for most of those things, Hammond, Fender Rhodes, String machines. But not for analog synths.
Old 9th August 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
What you do is pretty awesome. I appreciate your sound a lot. Coming from an electronic music background but also listening some Acid King, Cryptopsy, Ministry etc.
Thanks! We're considered by most media to be goth punk, but I try to get away with sneaking in the analog synths here and there without the natives getting restless, haha.
Old 9th August 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Really great work - I like that the synth is such an integral part of the song yet it's not in your face, especially when blended with the violins. What type of effects did you run on the JP when you tracked it?
Old 9th August 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
...there's a good deal on a Jupiter 8 around here.
how good? and where's here?
Old 9th August 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Perhaps one of the modern ones? One option would be the studio electronics omega 8 with all filter carts (moog, oberheim, arp, cs-80).
Another option could be the new modal 008.
Old 9th August 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Just a quick comment on a couple of the OP's points. The JP-8 is not a discrete synth. The VCAs, VCFs and EGs are all based on IC designs - not Curtis but probably manufactured by Rohm to Roland's requirements. The VCO is semi-discrete but it too has chips in it.

Secondly, the JP-8's VCOs are far more stable than the OB-Xa. The standard of engineering is more advanced than the Oberheim and the autotune doesn't just tune up the top C which is what the Obie does.

I prefer the sound, interface and keybed of the JP-8. But the OB-Xa probably has more character due to it's great sounding 12dB filter and less well-behaved circuitry.

Tony
Old 9th August 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
My question: does the Jupiter always sound bright and 80s, or can it sound dark and 70's?
It doesn't sound "70's" - if by 70's you mean a big fat "old school synthesizery" sound.

It has its very own sound and personally i'd think that soundwise a JP-8 is probably a tradedown from the OB-xa (never owned one though, so i may be wrong), but i am biased in that i thought that the JP-8 i owned was a rather boring synth. Always polite and clean, never dirty.

Great quality sound, no discussion there - just not exciting in the way that i could get lost in just playing it as i can with quite a few other synths.
Old 9th August 2015
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Hmm, I've heard these sorts of things before, that the jp8 can be too polite. I wonder if maybe I should try MKS-80 rev4 first, see how I like it, and if I think I'd like a similar sound just fatter and more organic, start saving for the 8. I wish you could just try all these synths at the local guitar center and compare, but i've never had a real jp8 in front of me.

I've had mixed feelings about the ob-xa. Some days i love it, some days it just sounds odd to me. If it had the p5's filters, wow.

Didn't realize the jp8 wasn't fully discrete! I guess the oscillators are semi-discrete. Hmm.
Old 9th August 2015
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
oh, and I've been listening to the new modal 008 demos as they come out, extremely curious. everything so far seems a bit dull sounding, if full. haven't really listened to the code or omega synths, I read that they are very clean sounding, not vintage-y. But I'd be happy to be wrong about either.
Old 9th August 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
oh, and I've been listening to the new modal 008 demos as they come out, extremely curious. everything so far seems a bit dull sounding, if full. haven't really listened to the code or omega synths, I read that they are very clean sounding, not vintage-y. But I'd be happy to be wrong about either.
Here are 15 minutes of pure Omega 8 :
Old 9th August 2015
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
sounds quite good. what filter are these demos recorded with? I'm guessing omega doesn't have the OD like on CODE, I'm curious what that sounds like.
Old 9th August 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
These are mostly the moog and sem filters (sem being lowpass, highpass, bandpass and notch). Some of the last few ones are cs-80 (lowpass and highpass in series, independant resonance for each).
Old 10th August 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by srs148 View Post
Really great work - I like that the synth is such an integral part of the song yet it's not in your face, especially when blended with the violins. What type of effects did you run on the JP when you tracked it?
That's pretty much just the sound of the JP8 with a bit of Lexicon Native reverb.
Old 10th August 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Jdx-A
Old 10th August 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i dont know what these newer bands use, but as far as genesis goes it was no polyphonics in 70s. Only mellotron, string machine rs202, divide down synths like polymoog on wind and wuthering. Not until 1980 Duke, where Tony utilized Prophet 5 rev2 and Yamaha CS80. Later on Abacab he introduced Prophet 10 which sounds fabulous but totally 80s.

Rush used 70s Oberheims like Eight Voice. OBXa has nothing to do with this character whatsoever. Mks80 is also totally mid 80s.

Altough JP8 can sound 70s more than given credit to, personally i wouldnt opt for neither obxa or jp8.

Sample libs are solid solution for rhodes and mellotron, but string machine libs fail miserably. If you try a real one youll realize that quickly. and its the cornerstone of 70s polyphonic keyboards with ep, organs and m400.

Id recommend a roland rs 202 , solina (floyd) or crumar multiman stringers prior to any poly. and if you want a poly, of those i own or have played, these sound most 70s:

Oberheim obx or fvs 8vs
Prophet 5 rev2
Yamaha cs 50 60 80
Korg trident mk1

Newer:
andromeda when programmed well
Studio electronics omega
Old 10th August 2015
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Honestly, I always found the Jupiter 8 to just be a decent sounding analog poly. I don't quite get the crazy prices it seems to command.

The Studio Electronics synths... well I'm a fan. From the ATC to the Omega, they're fine instruments. If I had the cash I'd get a C.O.D.E. 8 or Omega 8 in a heartbeat.

As for the Modal... I'd wait and see. I kind of dug the demos I've heard so far, but to be fair I didn't listen to them on anything approaching a good monitor. They seemed kind of band limited to me, but that could totally be on purpose. They seemed to have nice dirt in them though. It's weird because the .002 demos sound so big and lush... hell, if I were you I'd just get the .002. Sure, it's not pure analog but man that thing sounds fantastic to me. I'm currently waiting to hear if we'll be moving soon and if so I'm going to ditch most of my synths and go SE-1x, Prophet 12 and Modal Modulus .002 and the rest in software.
Old 10th August 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Honestly, I always found the Jupiter 8 to just be a decent sounding analog poly. I don't quite get the crazy prices it seems to command.
That's because you can't relate to a synth without velocity and aftertouch, according to some of your other posts, which is a totally legitimate criticism. The only area the JP8 lacks imo is performance control. Heck, it doesn't even have a mod wheel!

For those of us (myself included) who generally keep those features turned off, the JP8 is the ultimate synthesizer.

1. The tone is majestic and crystal clear like glass or perhaps diamond. Not like DX7 crystal... like actual glass. Nothing else sounds even close.

2. The interface is at once comprehensive AND ultra simple. Almost nothing else out there has both. You either get simple and limited like say Juno 60, or vast and difficult like Andromeda. Slide the scale in between. But JP8 is the best of both worlds.

3. It is really one of the very few that feature BOTH vintage sound quality AND modern connectivity, MIDI (with a kit) presets, arps, 8 voices, stable tuning, multitimbral etc. Generally you pick: awesome vintage tone with one to four voices, poor tuning, no presets etc a la Minimoog, Odyssey, JP4, what have you. OR modern features with kinda weak IC, CEM chips or DCO a la Juno, JP6, OBs, DSI Prophets, A6 etc. They sound good, but not JP8, Arp, Moog good... to me.

Here's a pic of my studio today to get a sense of my references for comparison: JP8, A6, Sub 37, SH-101, brute, Prophet 6, Odyssey mk3, OB8, Crumar, Rogue, SX-240... and my fave SK-1.

In a fire, I grab the JP8 and run.
Attached Thumbnails
Jupiter 8 or Ob-xa?-image_5311_0.jpg  

Last edited by Rufuss Sewell; 10th August 2015 at 11:26 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
That's because you can't relate to a synth without velocity and aftertouch, according to some of your other posts, which is a totally legitimate criticism. The only area the JP8 lacks imo is performance control. Heck, it doesn't even have a mod wheel!

For those of us (myself included) who generally keep those features turned off, the JP8 is the ultimate synthesizer.

1. The tone is magestic and crystal clear like glass or perhaps diamond. Not like DX7 crystal... like actual glass. Nothing else sounds even close.

2. The interface is at once comprehensive AND ultra simple. Almost nothing else out there has both. You either get simple and limited like say Juno 60, or vast and difficult like Andromeda. Slide the scale in between. But JP8 is the best of both worlds.

3. It is really one of the very few that feature BOTH vintage sound quality AND modern connectivity, MIDI (with a kit) presets, arps, 8 voices, stable tuning, multitimbral etc. Generally you pick: awesome vintage tone with one to four voices, poor tuning, no presets etc a la Minimoog, Odyssey, JP4, what have you. OR modern features with kinda weak IC, CEM chips or DCO a la Juno, JP6, OBs, DSI Prophets, A6 etc. They sound good, but not JP8, Arp, Moog good... to me.

Here's a pic of my studio today to get a sense of my references for comparison: JP8, A6, Sub 37, SH-101, brute, Prophet 6, Odyssey mk3, OB8, Crumar, Rogue, SX-240... and my fave SK-1.

In a fire, I grab the JP8 and run.
#4 . Also, JP-8 build quality is world class whereas the OBxa is probably closer to a US TV set from those days..a real challenge to keep running smoothly. My OB-Xa had lots of odd quirks before I finally electrocuted it (using mix of 110/220v equipment can be costly ).
Old 10th August 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Purely my opinion, but I had JP8 and OBXa (with only 4 voices) and I much prefered the OBXa. Like Grumphh said, I found the JP8 rather sterile and ordinary. It did that silky Roland sound which I personally just hate as it was used too much imo and became sonically nauseating (in the same way I find Juno's do).

As mentioned by others, the Trident sounds very 70s and on occasions out 'phatted' my OBXa when they were be played together

I think OB8 might be worth considering too, as its generally cheaper, more reliable and does more than the OBXa.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
Here are 15 minutes of pure Omega 8 :
nice demo zahush

Omega sounds good but there is something comically funky about the SE sound. I think its the presets they make maybe but its not a 'dark' sounding synth for sure!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
nice demo zahush

Omega sounds good but there is something comically funky about the SE sound. I think its the presets they make maybe but its not a 'dark' sounding synth for sure!
Well, i overwrote all the SE presets that came with it out of the box. These are presets i made.
πŸ“ Reply