The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jupiter 8 or Ob-xa?
Old 7th September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
Here you go,
Whoah, that OB is terribly nasal next to the JP.

Probably cuts through in a live band setting like a hot knife through butter - but i'd imagine that the first thing i would do to it in a studio would be to send it through a severe mid cut eq.
Deleted b598644
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Meeker View Post
Overrated or over-priced? Those are two separate things.
hmm, name some overrated synths which are not overpriced?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b598644 View Post
Prepare for this thread to explode with whining in about 6 hours. Oh well, here goes:

Arturia Minibrute: Ugly looking, ugly sounding, cheaply made, weirdly specified crapmachine. Haven't heard any music done with them that wouldn't have sounded better if they had used almost anything else. However, people seem to LOVE them and they are 499 new.

Korg Wavestation: I love 'em as much as the next guy, but they are overrated. The concept and design is nice, but the sound is so-so at best, probably owing to iffy converters (oddly, Roland digital synths of this era did not suffer from this haze). You always hear people unconditionally talking these synths up. Prices range from 200-600 bucks these days.

SE Boomstars: These sound okay, like most of SE's products. Not incredible as many claim--but pretty decent. Still, this constitutes being overrated. However, their price points are about on-the-money for the quality of construction and components. They do not feel overpriced. Verdict: overrated and not overpriced.
Deleted b598644
i like lists

any more perhaps?

must say wavestation does have a character and make unique sounds
Old 7th September 2015
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 5 years
I think the whole point of the micro/minibrute isn't studio, it's live tweaking for djs and people for whom keyboards, especially analog synths, are usually seen as intimidating. I've seen people cook up some cool stuff with a microbrute and a beatstep type sequencer, all you need is some arpeggiation and go, instant musical experimentation. that's diff than sonic crafting in the studio, not sure the brutes are for that so much, unless you make more industrial type music, but really, then a distortion pedal and a ring modulator go damn far as far as synths go.
Old 8th September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassX View Post
i like lists
What I find more fascinating are the underrated and overpriced synths.

Ensoniq Fizmo and Hartmann Neuron may be the crown champions of this category. Never thought I'd see the day when the Fizmo was overpriced or even seen as majorly desirable by more than one or two people.
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 5 years
I haven't played a fizmo in person, but they do LOOK nifty. granted, I'm not sure that any digital hardware synth makes sense unless it has analog filters, after all, it's just a computer like the one on the desktop, just much less powerful. something like the microwave xt at least has a zillion knobs, so that I kinda get, a fizmo has a bunch, but I'm still not sure it makes sense over software, unless the grainyness of the transwaves is what you're looking for, but even then, I would guess that can be simulated, it's just a matter of the effort involved. in theory, though, not sure hardware digital makes much sense, even if in practice it is often easier.
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Adding voice to choir: string machine with organ emu and chorus would sound closer to 70ths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassX View Post
you've got the point
๐Ÿ“ Reply