The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
New adventures in JV/XP Structure programming
Old 6th August 2015
New adventures in JV/XP Structure programming

I made a little demo track today,

... consisting of a few new (for 2015!) patches I made from time to time, mostly using my XP80 which is extremely nice to tweak & play. Some of the patches here rely on the possibilities with Structure editing, which is more powerful than I've really grasped before. Been a diehard JV1080 user since '95 but there's still things to discover with this synth line.

Hope u like it!

Some examples: PWM, ring mod, FM

• Any advanced patch banks worth checking out for JV/XP? Or do I have to do it myself? :D

The XP80 in use on the track is not expanded. Expansions sound boring these days. But custom sound design, wow!
Old 6th August 2015
Here for the gear

Impressive track! I started digging into the structures last year and its just amazing what can be accomplished with just the basic waveforms. The dark and polite JV can turn into surprisingly bright and cutting with proper programming.
Old 7th August 2015
Gear Addict

Very nice! I especially like the bass sound that comes in around 0:36 and the bell-like sound at 1:51.

I was thinking the other day that maybe I don't need my JV2080 because I have the Korg M1 plugin—but I was only thinking in terms of bread and butter sounds. This has made me think again!
Old 7th August 2015
Lovely feedback, gents! I'd advise anyone curious about synths - and perhaps not so blessed with cash reserves - to go out and just... Run, Forrest, Run! - Get a JV synth! Most importantly; tweak it!
Old 7th August 2015
Gear Addict

Love the track, Bitley! The JV series is deep - I'm always amazed when people dismiss them as just romplers.
Old 7th August 2015
Lives for gear

Really nice track Bitley.
I love my JV1080 , haven't any expansions, but would like World/ Asia & Ks of the 60s & 70s. I just love the JV as it is though.
Old 7th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Releaux View Post
Love the track, Bitley! The JV series is deep - I'm always amazed when people dismiss them as just romplers.
I'm guilty of this. Maybe because until this all I've ever heard is music made from its presets.

Lovely sounds and the song is just great - imaginitive, playful and fresh. The percussion stuff is very interesting too.
Excellent work BitleyTM! Really breathed new life into that dinosaur
Old 7th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitleyTM View Post
Lovely feedback, gents! I'd advise anyone curious about synths - and perhaps not so blessed with cash reserves - to go out and just... Run, Forrest, Run! - Get a JV synth! Most importantly; tweak it!
Question: why do your patches seem to have more life to them than any of the demos I've ever heard for the JV/XP series? Do the stock patches just turn up the filters to squash the sparkle out? Or do you use magic pixie dust?

Terrific demo that actually makes me want to check out one of these machines!
Old 7th August 2015
Lives for gear

Very nice. I used an XP-50 (fewer keys, smaller screen, otherwise the same board) for 15 years. I never got sick of it; the buttons just started failing. Really deep synth if you work it right.

The prices are still surprisingly high on the XP series. Otherwise, I'd have bought a replacement by now.
Old 7th August 2015
Very glad it found some appreciation here! :D I thought all of Gearslutz was about DSI these days! Syntonica, no idea, maybe that I didn't use presets. These machines look very innocent and sterile but they come alive when you forget all about that; OK! It doesn't look like a JP8! Not even a JP8000! - just focus on getting an interesting result and you probably will.
Old 7th August 2015
Quote:
Any advanced patch banks worth checking out for JV/XP? Or do I have to do it myself?
Yes. There's one bank called User. And you're just going to have to believe me it sounds fckin awesome.

Here's a teaser for ya folks. All JV-1080:
Attached Files

01Multi.mp3 (2.21 MB, 3854 views)

02Alpha Lyrae.mp3 (1.79 MB, 3623 views)

03AMNoises.mp3 (1.08 MB, 3457 views)

04CascadesDeepForestStereoDub.mp3 (2.63 MB, 3453 views)

05Analogue!.mp3 (1.95 MB, 3440 views)

06Antartica.mp3 (1.62 MB, 3403 views)

Old 7th August 2015
...itches!

All JV-1080:
Attached Files

07Cobalt.mp3 (2.36 MB, 3131 views)

08Multi.mp3 (2.27 MB, 2996 views)

09Procyon A.mp3 (1.89 MB, 2983 views)

10Multi.mp3 (2.35 MB, 3066 views)

11Vortex.mp3 (2.26 MB, 3061 views)

Old 7th August 2015
Gear Nut

For my money, the 1080/JV sounds still are the best. Korg always slathered too much reverb on its ROMples, and Yamaha just hasn't had very good ROMples ever. The only competition for the JV soundsets is the Kurzweil set, but Young-Chang hasn't invested in new sounds for 20 years. My 1080 (and the Classical and World cards) are still my go-to's. (And I own/owned Korg, Yamaha, and Kurzweil synths so I have been able to make the comparisons many times.)

Cheers,

d
Old 7th August 2015
Lives for gear

Due to this thread, i couldnt resist to make small sample of XP-50 love this evening.

All sounds from XP-50. Programmed this evening. Except the drums.

No great mix either hrhr, but here goes..
Attached Files

150806_XP50_1.mp3 (1.18 MB, 2809 views)

Old 7th August 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Due to this thread, i couldnt resist to make small sample of XP-50 love this evening.

All sounds from XP-50. Programmed this evening. Except the drums.

No great mix either hrhr, but here goes..
Nice track! I kept waiting for Gahan or Moyet to start singing...
Old 8th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Yes. There's one bank called User. And you're just going to have to believe me it sounds fckin awesome.

Here's a teaser for ya folks. All JV-1080:
Don Solaris, I have a 8 x 64KB data card (i.e. the equivalent of eigth M-512E Roland data cards in a single card) in my JV-1080 waiting to be filled with patches, please release your patch set so I have something great to fill the card with!

Old 8th August 2015
Lives for gear
Isn't the uv the same engine as the mc909? Gonna haft a dust off my 909 and integra
Old 8th August 2015
Lives for gear

The MC909 is more like the XV5080 than the JVs .

Nice tracks & samples from both of you .

I particularly like track '10 ' D.S.
Old 8th August 2015
Nice demos! Where can we find your USER bank, Don?

I've really re-discovered this "engine", in fact made five brand new sounds since I started this thread... and I also placed a bid on a JX-305, just because it contains other waveforms - which ideally will lead to even more sound discoveries... (hm, wasn't that a section run by a guy named Titus Levi in Keyboard Magazine?¿) ...these synths are really ultra cheap for the immense hidden powers they possess! My latest sounds are inspired by italo / classic "OB" type sounds, really bright polysynths. For example I used Structure 3 and boost up to +18 to really "destroy" the waveforms with modulation. Fatnuss!
Old 8th August 2015
Quote:
Nice demos! Where can we find your USER bank, Don?
The good: In a Roland JV-1080 located in a rack few meters from here.

The bad: Still didn't complete all the demos. I want to show as much patches as possible.

The ugly: A lot of work for the video, which TBH i kinda hate. You invest so much time to get something as vague as: "ummm... cool vid bro". Can't be more frustrating than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post
Don Solaris, I have a 8 x 64KB data card (i.e. the equivalent of eigth M-512E Roland data cards in a single card) in my JV-1080 waiting to be filled with patches, please release your patch set so I have something great to fill the card with!
Will be shown in signature when everything is set!

Can't decide the price yet...

Old 8th August 2015
:D

What are you using for editing btw?
Old 8th August 2015
Quote:
:D

What are you using for editing btw?
Front panel.
Old 8th August 2015
Pwah! You're just as crazy as me! :D
Old 8th August 2015
Lives for gear

I never get those software controllers to work.
Old 8th August 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Some examples: PWM
I'll bite: how?

My approach was to load a pulse of varying width (tone 4: 50%, tone 1: 12.5%) on each Tone, then use LFOs modifying the amplitude of each tone, set each out of phase so they'd slowly crossfade, but if there's a better/faster way, I'm all ears.

Quote:
and I also placed a bid on a JX-305, just because it contains other waveforms
The JX305 is the keyboard version of the MC-505 which has the SR-JV80-11 Techno Expansions inside. Smaller and cheaper to just get those. Chances are the XP80 being the flagship also has better converters, too.
Old 8th August 2015
Yes, I intend to keep my 1080 & XP80 and just basically try the JX out to see if I'll like it. I think it's so fascinating with all the gear hate, especially focused on Roland. Became very evident this morning when I stupidly googled for comments on the JX-305 - "nothing to see there, folks" - 10 times out of 10 I tried diss'ed gear I came to the conclusion it actually was great stuff; happened with Aira, JP80, Gaia, and the list goes on. Great products all the way. I've even collected an MC-303 just because I'm quite certain it's not that bad. :-) I guess the truth is that we who make our own sounds (& form our own gear judgements) are easily outnumbered to the preset junkies who come in thousands. 99% of all the Roland hate out there is false.

As for PWM I'll get back with my findings, taking a synth break in front of the TV right now. But in short, I'm not really there yet, my PWM experiments are a bit so-so; they sound musically pleasing but not as good as my Alpha Juno, not as good as my D-20 & D-50 either; but it's very fun experimenting to see what the JV engine is capable of. As for ring mod / FM-ish sounds it gives great results.

BTW: A number of years ago a guy on the net generously shared a pack of like 10 TB-303'y patches using Structures + boost to create dist'ed 303 sounds. As far I can remember these were excellent. Does anyone have them / know where to find them? Would be fun to try them out again. I had them in an earlier 1080 which unfortunately was sold - never doing that mistake again.

Last edited by bitleyTM; 8th August 2015 at 11:04 PM..
Old 8th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
I'll bite: how? My approach was to load a pulse of varying width (tone 4: 50%, tone 1: 12.5%) on each Tone, then use LFOs modifying the amplitude of each tone, set each out of phase so they'd slowly crossfade, but if there's a better/faster way, I'm all ears.
Aaah... hm. That's a quite nifty idea!

I've tried two methods:

1. Applying a very slow LFO with just 5 cents of pitch modulation using structure 4 or 5, this method used on the "PWM" patch in my demo song.

2. Using an inverted waveform - I was quite amazed finding this; Roland provided inverted waveforms and also low-level waveforms intended for LFO experiments. With say a sawtooth and an inverted sawtooth you just need to apply a slight pitch difference (-3 / +3 or so) and they'll modulate continously.
Old 8th August 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
2. Using an inverted waveform - I was quite amazed finding this; Roland provided inverted waveforms and also low-level waveforms intended for LFO experiments. With say a sawtooth and an inverted sawtooth you just need to apply a slight pitch difference (-3 / +3 or so) and they'll modulate continously.
Ah! That's how Sylenth "faked" it (well, not exactly faking as I recall Urs Heckmann saying that this was a common and valid implementation of PWM in plugins). If you overdrive that signal you'll even get a pulse.

Now I'm watching JX305 videos and the resemblance in terms of concept to the JDXA is pretty uncanny. It's just lacking the HUNDREDS OF GROOVE APPROVED CONTEMPORARY DANCE MUSIC patterns, I guess
Old 8th August 2015
Yup! Fortunately, the TV wasn't so interesting after all... :D

Try this; start with an init patch.

Tone 1.........Tone 2

Wave number
INT-B.........INT-B

Pitch Fine Tune
+1.........0

This gives a beautiful and pretty convincing PWM. The only problem is that it restarts on each keypress.
Old 8th August 2015
This method also works;

Structure 4; boost +18

Tone 1.........Tone 2

Wave number
INT-B.........INT-B
45.........189 (Triangle + Low Sine - a low-level / silent waveform)

Wave Gain
+12.........+6

Pitch Coarse
0.........-24 ("PWM speed" goes here!)

Pitch Keyfollow
+100.........0
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search