The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
New adventures in JV/XP Structure programming
Old 8th August 2015
Constantly modulating "PWM";

LFO 1 rate ~*5-30 depending on speed you want
LFO 1 depth pitch on Tone A : 5 (higher values and it gets detuned (but interestingly dirty))

Structure 5, boost 0

Wave number
INT-B.........INT-B

This method gives a PWM that feels "alive", I just wish I could make it sound warmer. The ideal sound to get would be the VAST and RICH pwm sound as on Eurythmics' and Yazoo records. I hope I'll get there some day...
Old 9th August 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Front panel.
oh, god - i've decided to preserve my sanity by using changeit! - i'm getting my USER bank together, too ...
Old 9th August 2015
Used the last example as starter and copied part 1 to 3, 2 to 4 and played around with various settings; I think I have a pretty nice Juno, er... 45... patch there Can record an example l8r!
Old 9th August 2015
Lives for gear

Great sound Bitley...im new to the JV and will be diving in deeply in the near future.Ended up with 2 JV1080 s!!!!!!is there any point or advantage in mixing 2 together,thickening up a mix whatever?Or should i sell one?true that when you start editing its turns into a very cool synth otherwise sounds static and thin imo.
Old 9th August 2015
Thanks Well, having two wouldn't make much sense today since you can print an unlimited number of tracks to a modern DAW, but it depends on how you work. Layering sounds is very easy within just one unit. But if you get expansion cards it can be nice with room for up to 8 of those. I keep mine for nostalgia & because it isn't worth much money-wise. Its second hand value is way too low today really. Not many synths in its price range touches its power but you might trade one of them for a Proteus 2000, a D-550 or something.
Old 9th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitleyTM View Post
This gives a beautiful and pretty convincing PWM. The only problem is that it restarts on each keypress.
It can be partially masked by applying random detune to one of tones. So it still restarts but at least doesn't sound exactly the same.

I also managed to emulate 120 deg ensemble circuit which can be heard in first demo. The string ensemble here is not the ensemble effect but the actual patch. I know it doesn't sound like Solina but still way better than string ensemble samples from that era.
Old 9th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
I'll bite: how?
Google showed this:
How to achieve PWM on Roland’s SuperJV/JD/XP series | donsolaris.com

Old 9th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
BTW: A number of years ago a guy on the net generously shared a pack of like 10 TB-303'y patches using Structures + boost to create dist'ed 303 sounds. As far I can remember these were excellent. Does anyone have them / know where to find them? Would be fun to try them out again. I had them in an earlier 1080 which unfortunately was sold - never doing that mistake again.
Hey, longtime XP-50 and JV-2080 owner here.

Just checked my files and stumbled on a few zip that may be what you're after. Or not. See attchements below.

BTW, loving this thread and the tunes. Please go on.
Attached Files
File Type: zip jv303kids4.zip (7.3 KB, 28 views) File Type: zip TB303KIT.ZIP (50.8 KB, 28 views) File Type: zip XPAcidM.zip (53.5 KB, 29 views) File Type: zip xpjvacid.zip (21.1 KB, 35 views)
Old 9th August 2015
Ooooh wonderful! Thank you very much! I made an "acid track" with a friend once; he's a true acid house guy with 303's and was impressed I have a feeling it might be the first, will download and check it out. Is there any librarian program available? Hm... will try my floppy disk )
Old 10th August 2015
Deleted b598644
i like the jv2080 very much, but why oh why are the internal drumsounds so crap
Old 10th August 2015
Hm. That went awfully quick... on disk I can save "SOUND", is that simply one patch? Dives for a manual...
Old 10th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b598644 View Post
i like the jv2080 very much, but why oh why are the internal drumsounds so crap
I've thought about editing the drumkits one day, I think there's quite an array of options there too My latest "drumkits" are two kits (= patches really) with extreme ring modulation, creates very interesting / almost modular-like percussion.
Old 10th August 2015
Quote:
Hm. That went awfully quick... on disk I can save "SOUND", is that simply one patch? Dives for a manual...
Apparently "Sound" saves the entire user memory content as a single file. I was a bit wondering why this went very fast; recalling that saving JV1080 "ALL" data dumps used to take quite a while and space (about 400 kb or something like that). But anyway... it seems to work. There's also a way to load individual files from this file, described by Roland;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Support Knowledge Base
The XP-60/80 can save all of its user settings (Patches, Performances, Rhythm Sets and System Settings) to a floppy disk as an “.SVD” file. Rather than re-load an entire file with all of its contents, you can also select and load single files, such as a Patch, from an “.SVD” file. This is useful if you are trying to collect favorite Patches from multiple .SVD files. After saving your settings, use the following procedure to load a single Patch from an .SVD file into a single User Bank Patch location:

1. Press UTILITY.

2. If needed, press F6 [Menu] to select "Menu 1."

3. Press F4 [Xfer].

4. Press F3 [to User].

5. CURSOR to "Source" and use the VALUE dial to select "PATCH."

6. CURSOR RIGHT and use the VALUE dial to select "DISK."

7. CURSOR RIGHT and use the VALUE dial to select the desired .SVD file.

8. CURSOR RIGHT and use the VALUE dial to select the desired Patch.

9. CURSOR to "Destination" and use the VALUE dial to select a User Patch destination.

10. Press F6 [Execute].

NOTE: The same procedure can be used to load single Performances and Rhythm Sets.
Old 10th August 2015
Checkin' banks...

I quickly went through most of this (not all of it)...

80TO1080.SYX
303kids4.Syx
303kids4.txt
303ROX.SYX
8090USER.SYX
ACID404.SYX
AGSOUND1.SYX
ampheta.syx
armlyte.syx
CONTRIB.SYX
flaterik.syx
FRANKFRT.MID
Goa303.syx
GRNDP2.SYX
halflife.syx
jv80nir.txt
jv80nir1.syx
jv80nir2.syx
jv80nir3.syx
jv80nir4.syx
kemper11.syx
korgtrin.syx
mdmastall.syx
MEI_INT.SYX
MR303.MID
MR303.SYX
MR303.TXT
MR303Q.SYX
nirsul1.mid
nirsul1.Syx
nirsul1.txt
nirsul2.mid
nirsul2.syx
nirsul2.txt
nirsul3.mid
nirsul3.syx
nirsul3.txt
nirsul4.mid
nirsul4.txt
NIRSULAM.SYX
ns2bt.txt
ns4jv1.syx
ns4xp5.syx
riverstr.syx
RNDYBRWN.SYX
ROLAND.SYX
soundscpe.syx
spacerain.syx
speedlight.syx
sunrise.syx
Taurus.mid
TAURUS02.MID
TAURUS2.TXT
Taurus3.txt
TB30NOF2.SYX
TB30NOFX.SYX
TB303.SYX
TB303BS.SYX
TB303DM.MID
TB303INF.TXT
TB3024DB.SYX
TBVOI24D.SYX
TBVOICE.SYX
tr909.syx
Wan_1.txt
Xpjvacid.mid
xpjvacid.syx
XPJVAcid.txt

Some sounds are a bit interesting, and there's 808'y and 909'y percussion in there too BassX. I've kept "SoundScape2" and "TB303noFX FW" & will keep creating my own sounds. Most people really seem to miss the whole point with their patches, but I guess most of the programming was done in '96-98 somewhere while the JV still sounded new and fresh maybe. So there's hundreds of edits on the pianos and the strings, samples I'd avoid like the plague today. Slap Bass?! Come on. Most synthy patches seemed to rely on Structure 1 so that means they'd not discovered the behemoth synth powers hidden underneath...
Old 10th August 2015
LOL!

These are total crap. I never bothered with those even in the 90s when i was just beginning to learn programming. Friend and i tried couple of those banks but they ended in the Amiga's trashcan pretty soon.
Old 10th August 2015
Deleted User
I quite like programming my maxed out JV-2080, i managed to recreate a few DX-100 sounds on it like Solid Bass & Wood Piano etc. I do miss my XP-50 though which i learned my JV/XP programming skills on.
Old 10th August 2015
Lives for gear

I need to dust off my XP-30 and fall in love over again by the sound of it.
Old 10th August 2015
Deleted b598644
2080 sounds great but then only 2 user drumkits possible
Old 10th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b598644 View Post
2080 sounds great but then only 2 user drumkits possible
Get a data card for more user banks.
Old 10th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Yes. There's one bank called User. And you're just going to have to believe me it sounds fckin awesome.
Here's a teaser for ya folks. All JV-1080:

Sounds great Don.
Old 10th August 2015
DS; exactly... but some ppl with ideas like ours must surely have been programming? Any decent patches out there?
Old 10th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
I quite like programming my maxed out JV-2080, i managed to recreate a few DX-100 sounds on it like Solid Bass & Wood Piano etc. I do miss my XP-50 though which i learned my JV/XP programming skills on.
Would gladly hear those
Old 10th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
I quite like programming my maxed out JV-2080, i managed to recreate a few DX-100 sounds on it like Solid Bass & Wood Piano etc.
Interesting indeed.
I thought the JV/XP EG were too slow and sluggish to achieve this kind of sound. To the point of using a clic wavevorm to simulate a snappy attack on some bass presets...

There's a pretty convincing Solid Bass waveform on the SR-JV80-11 Techno Collection card anyway.
Old 11th August 2015
Hm that's quite common in order to form a sound's character; the envelopes are fine. I think it was research on the human ear's rapidness that led to "attack" waveforms in the D-50; just tweaking microseconds worth of an attack instantly makes some sounds "decidedly different". Remember reading an article on the subject in Keyboard many moons ago. Even the 808 & the 909 might use a separate oscillator for the attack "click". Korg S3 and Yamaha RY30 took up this idea as well. Probably much other gear out there; Procussion, M1, SY55 etc comes to mind. A good trick for sharpening a dull piano in a sampler, or why not midi an FM mallet sound with a JX body. Classic
Old 11th August 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poumtschak View Post
There's a pretty convincing Solid Bass waveform on the SR-JV80-11 Techno Collection card anyway.
i know, but i don't have the techno card in my JV, i made mine from scratch. i think the techno card is pretty weak imo.
Old 11th August 2015
Old 11th August 2015
Quote:
DS; exactly... but some ppl with ideas like ours must surely have been programming? Any decent patches out there?
Nope. All of those freeware are just.... well home made patches by hobbyists but most unlikely professional sound designers. There's a reason why the former and free and later require you to pay a fee.

I think there was an old Japanese saying about what comes free...
Old 11th August 2015
Lives for gear

Attached Thumbnails
New adventures in JV/XP Structure programming-screen-shot-2015-08-11-18.21.16.png  
Old 11th August 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Care to share?
Here you go... 1st one is Solid Bass, 2nd Wood Bass 1, then Wood Bass 2 and last is an early PPG Wave type lead. All done on JV-2080, no expansion JV boards used.
Attached Files

JV-DX-Sounds.mp3 (3.72 MB, 1063 views)

Old 11th August 2015
Awesome lately bass & liked the wood bass too. Great job. Would like the sysex on those for sure
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search