• Highland Guitar

Strap on a pair of cans and zone out for 7'14"
Old 22nd January 2020
Gear Maniac

Latest release. Ambient electronic:

https://remotevision.bandcamp.com/al...of-similitudes

Old 3 weeks ago
Didn't know there was an ambient thread

Here is one of my latest tracks - hope you enjoy!

https://thedeccantraps.bandcamp.com/...being-numerous
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil F View Post
Didn't know there was an ambient thread [..]
https://thedeccantraps.bandcamp.com/track/yule
get a Matriarch. the Sub37 and Pro3 are great synths but I'm hearing a Matriarch in my mind here. (*cross thread post). thanks for joining the thread!
Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted b5734b5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil F View Post
Didn't know there was an ambient thread

Here is one of my latest tracks - hope you enjoy!

https://thedeccantraps.bandcamp.com/...being-numerous
I've noticed you followed my advice, welcome! I like this track, brings some nostalgia.
Old 3 weeks ago
Thank you to you both!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

@ Soothing Sound : like your new avatar. Is that from "Der Himmel über Berlin" ? (great movie)
Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted b5734b5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsp804 View Post
@ Soothing Sound : like your new avatar. Is that from "Der Himmel über Berlin" ? (great movie)
Thanks! Yes Wim Wenders is one of my favorite directors!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b5734b5 View Post
Thanks! Yes Wim Wenders is one of my favorite directors!

I could watch the opening 30 mins of that over and over and over again
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
New ambient piece I've finally finished and mastered:

This was composed with:
  • Oberheim OB-6
  • Roland Juno 106
  • Waldorf Pulse
  • Highland Guitar

Strap on a pair of cans and zone out for 7'14"

Finally completed a nice video clip for the above track...

Enjoy!

James

PS Didn't really want to 'double-post' the same track to the thread but I can't edit the original post anymore. Hope that's OK - the video is well worth it!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Finally completed a nice video clip for the above track...

Enjoy!

James

PS Didn't really want to 'double-post' the same track to the thread but I can't edit the original post anymore. Hope that's OK - the video is well worth it!

Very nice James, love the visuals of the film strips and projector. Did you make that?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
Very nice James, love the visuals of the film strips and projector. Did you make that?
Hey thanks.

No, I didn't do any of the amazing visuals myself - way above my pay-grade! See the video credits at the end for the clever people who did - the concept and imagery came out better than I could possibly have hoped for! Takes the piece to a whole new level I think, which was why I thought it worth posting again.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Since we're all under lockdown for the time being, I've dropped this album to "name your price" on Bandcamp. Take a trip on me if you like electronic ambient and want to (virtually) get out of the house:

Old 1 week ago
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thicksteels View Post
https://soundcloud.com/lines-3/transmitter

See what you think.

Cheers.
much enjoyed listening to that !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 1 week ago
Well thanks! Much appreciated
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remote Vision View Post
Since we're all under lockdown for the time being, I've dropped this album to "name your price" on Bandcamp. Take a trip on me if you like electronic ambient and want to (virtually) get out of the house: https://remotevision.bandcamp.com/al...of-similitudes
I'm massively enjoying this Dan - beautiful work for these dark times, thanks!

I have your 'Meridian' album already so no surprise that I like this too!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm massively enjoying this Dan - beautiful work for these dark times, thanks!

I have your 'Meridian' album already so no surprise that I like this too!
Cheers, James - thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Since we're all under lockdown for the time being, I've dropped this album to "name your price" on Bandcamp. Take a trip on me if you like electronic ambient and want to (virtually) get out of the house:

Thanks ! So you are _the_ Ascendant ? Got many of your tracks listed in my "little book of favourite tunes" :-) (e.g. Fortran Drift, Vector, Probability, Remains, ..) Nice work !
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks ! So you are _the_ Ascendant ? Got many of your tracks listed in my "little book of favourite tunes" :-) (e.g. Fortran Drift, Vector, Probability, Remains, ..) Nice work !
That's awesome, thanks. One half of Ascendant, yes!

I do Remote Vision when we're not Ascending...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's awesome, thanks. One half of Ascendant, yes!

I do Remote Vision when we're not Ascending...
Have you heard this album: so awesome

Care to share any production "secrets", like favourite gear, how your tracks come together (any live elements in there?). What's it like working in a duo ? (ok, I know the answer to a certain extent but my partner died a long time ago :( )

To be honest, my biggest issue with producing ambient music is that it takes me at least ~2..3 weeks to "decouple" from everyday life before I finally feel "free" enough for this. I listen to it every day, though. *a bit sad*
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Have you heard this album: so awesome

Care to share any production "secrets", like favourite gear, how your tracks come together (any live elements in there?). What's it like working in a duo ? (ok, I know the answer to a certain extent but my partner died a long time ago :( )

To be honest, my biggest issue with producing ambient music is that it takes me at least ~2..3 weeks to "decouple" from everyday life before I finally feel "free" enough for this. I listen to it every day, though. *a bit sad*
Thanks for posting that link. I had not heard that one before, it's great! I have his CDs for Music for Nine Postcards & Green (classic!) around here somewhere. This sounds like the same (mid-80s) era as Green. I need to find those CDs and rip them into the computer. Good stuff! I fear this one is probably long out of print, but I'll hunt for it on iTunes later. I love that era of electronic music.

For myself, I like working with hardware, and started with hardware back in the day. I've used software in the past, but for me it just led to preset surfing, which I found uninspiring after a couple years. Making the sounds is a big part of the whole process for me.

Being in a duo is great, especially if you have your own project to fall back on when the other half of the duo is pre-occupied with life, babies, or whatever comes up. Life happens and you can't always sync schedules, so it's good to have your own outlet - the spice must flow! - hence the Remote Vision project.

I had a similar situation as you describe with the inability to decouple from the daily grind. It was the early 90s and I'd just started as a mastering engineer and I'd be so burnt-out by the time I got home I couldn't focus on creating my own music at all... and that lasted basically until about 2000 or so.

I was never away from the synthesizers and stuff though - I loved to get home, turn out the lights and fire up the gear and just sit there and explore sound - make patches, etc. I'd just make cassettes of the sound design sessions in progress and then listen to them in the car the next day on the way to work. Rinse & repeat. Good times.

In a way, it was still "making music" but I was not mindful of the process and there were no arrangements to speak of - just sounds. I did learn about my own preference for minimalism though through those sessions, plus the sound design experience made it time well spent in the long run. It's not necessarily a production "secret" but I can tell you that "less is more" is an important adage when it comes to electronic ambient.

There's more Remote Vision (and a whole bunch besides) here if you're interested and thanks again for the kind words!

https://exospheremusic.bandcamp.com
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for posting that link. I had not heard that one before, it's great! I have his CDs for Music for Nine Postcards & Green (classic!) around here somewhere. This sounds like the same (mid-80s) era as Green. I need to find those CDs and rip them into the computer. Good stuff! I fear this one is probably long out of print, but I'll hunt for it on iTunes later. I love that era of electronic music.

For myself, I like working with hardware, and started with hardware back in the day. I've used software in the past, but for me it just led to preset surfing, which I found uninspiring after a couple years. Making the sounds is a big part of the whole process for me.

Being in a duo is great, especially if you have your own project to fall back on when the other half of the duo is pre-occupied with life, babies, or whatever comes up. Life happens and you can't always sync schedules, so it's good to have your own outlet - the spice must flow! - hence the Remote Vision project.

I had a similar situation as you describe with the inability to decouple from the daily grind. It was the early 90s and I'd just started as a mastering engineer and I'd be so burnt-out by the time I got home I couldn't focus on creating my own music at all... and that lasted basically until about 2000 or so.

I was never away from the synthesizers and stuff though - I loved to get home, turn out the lights and fire up the gear and just sit there and explore sound - make patches, etc. I'd just make cassettes of the sound design sessions in progress and then listen to them in the car the next day on the way to work. Rinse & repeat. Good times.

In a way, it was still "making music" but I was not mindful of the process and there were no arrangements to speak of - just sounds. I did learn about my own preference for minimalism though through those sessions, plus the sound design experience made it time well spent in the long run. It's not necessarily a production "secret" but I can tell you that "less is more" is an important adage when it comes to electronic ambient.

There's more Remote Vision (and a whole bunch besides) here if you're interested and thanks again for the kind words!

https://exospheremusic.bandcamp.com
Thanks for sharing that. I am definitely figuring out the "Less is More" philosophy.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

Many thanks. I enjoy your music very much, a value my token payment doesn't express.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
To be honest, my biggest issue with producing ambient music is that it takes me at least ~2..3 weeks to "decouple" from everyday life before I finally feel "free" enough for this.
Quote:
I think this is an important point you both raise.

Having composed and worked across loads of different musical genres, ambient is that one I find hardest to clear the mental creative space for and finish pieces. All too often I'm just not in the right mindset to even switch the gear on - and that can last weeks.

I don't know why that is, but it helps knowing I'm not the only one!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bftucker View Post
Many thanks. I enjoy your music very much, a value my token payment doesn't express.

Cheers - thank you for the support & kind words.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Made a small ambient kind of track with Eminent 310

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search