The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha Montage Countdown Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

Images huh
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha Montage Countdown-yamahamontage1.jpg   Yamaha Montage Countdown-yamahamontage2.jpg   Yamaha Montage Countdown-yamahamontage3.jpg  
Old 15th January 2016
Gear Nut

Thanks MinoCan, keep 'em coming!
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

I didn't keep the zoomable ones open though sry about that.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha Montage Countdown-yamahamontage4.jpg   Yamaha Montage Countdown-yamahamontage5.jpg   Yamaha Montage Countdown-yamahamontage6.jpg   Yamaha Montage Countdown-yamahamontage7.jpg   Yamaha Montage Countdown-yamahamontage8.jpg  

Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

Ok Wrapping all the available text here for info: Remember this is from their now removed website.

Motion Control Synthesis Engine unifies and controls two iconic Sound Engines: AWM2 (high-quality waveform and subtractive synthesis) and FM-X (modern, pure Frequency Modulation synthesis.) These two engines can be freely zoned or layered across eight parts in a single MONTAGE Performance.

Interact with MONTAGE Performances using Motion Control: a highly programmable control matrix for creating deep, dynamic and incredibly expressive sound. With Motion Control, you can create new sounds not possible on previous hardware synthesizers.

1. Sophisticated Dynamic Control

Music is expression. MONTAGE adds a new level of expression with the Motion Control Synthesis Engine. This engine allows a variety of methods to interact with and channel your creativity into finding your own unique sound.

- Super Knob

Create dynamic sound changes from radical to sublime with the Super Knob. The Super Knob can control multiple parameters simultaneously resulting in anything you can imagine.

For example: change your listening position from right in front of an instrument to in the back seat of a concert hall. Or radically change the character of a Performance from atmospheric and mellow to rhythmic and edgy.

The Super Knob can even be assigned to a second FC7 foot controller making it easy to manipulate the sound when playing with both hands.

- Motion SEQ

Motion Sequences are tempo-synchronized, completely customizable control sequences that can be assigned to virtually any synthesizer parameter and provide incredible creative new ways of programming sound.

Motion Sequences also have dedicated controls on the front panel making it easy to manipulate and change in real-time, providing incredible interactivity and expression.
- Envelope Follower

Enlarge

The Envelope Follower converts audio into a control source for control of virtually any synthesizer parameter. For example, a drum loop could drive effects parameters for a cool rhythms or a vocal recording could control multiple parameters for a “talking” synthesizer. The audio can even be a “live” source through the A/D input.

2. Massive Sound Creation

MONTAGE features two Iconic Sound Engines modernized for amazing sound playback and complex sound design.

- AWM2

Powered by proprietary Yamaha technology for data compression and sound playback, AWM2 allows tremendous data compression without sound quality loss for unparalleled, realistic sound reproduction.

・128-Note, Stereo polyphony
Experience rich stereo sound without halving the available number of notes.

・Waveform Capacity
MONTAGE features nearly 10 times the waveform capacity of the MOTIF XF, allowing more samples per instrument for incredibly realistic and nuanced sound.

・Integrated Flash Memory
MONTAGE includes 1.75 GB of user flash memory with high speed reading/writing for your own custom samples or synth libraries from yamahasynth.com.

- FM-X

An amazingly sophisticated pure synthesizer engine capable of producing classic ‘80s or cutting-edge EDM sound with incredible dynamic range, power and fidelity. MONTAGE features an 8-operator FM architecture and 128-note polyphony, allowing for a massive array of sound design options.
- Content

Every instrument needs great content to inspire your creativity. MONTAGE features a huge range of incredible sounds like a brand-new Yamaha CFX Premium Grand Piano, detailed new strings and woodwinds and select content from the DX and TX family, all modernized to take advantage of the Motion Control Synthesis Engine.

・Compatibility
MONTAGE is directly compatible with Motif XF Voices. Yamaha is developing an FM converter to make it compatible with DX7 series Voices as well.

・Bösendorfer Piano
As part of the MONTAGE introduction, Yamaha is pleased to offer an incredible Bösendorfer Imperial Premium Grand Piano.

- Effects

From high definition reverbs to incredibly detailed Virtual Circuit Modeling (VCM) effects, MONTAGE is loaded with DSP innovation, power and, most importantly, sound quality. Use effects like Beat Repeat, Vinyl Break or Bit Crusher to get a modern EDM sound. You can even add a compressor with sidechain for a modern “ducking” effect. Or go retro with vintage effects like Analog Delay, VCM Phaser or a variety of Amp Simulators. Piano players will appreciate piano-focused effects like Damper Resonance for a super-realistic piano experience and the HD reverbs that let you put yourself in any performance space.
- Pure Analog Circuit

MONTAGE features professional balanced outputs with “Pure Analog Circuit” (PAC). PAC improves the quality of signal after being converted to analog from digital for clear harmonic reproduction and even frequency response. The result is an output capable of reproducing MONTAGE’s internal content expressively with power and clarity.
3. Streamlined Workflow

How do you want to integrate your instrument with your system? How do you want to organize the onboard content? How do you want to interact with the instrument while you play? MONTAGE answers these questions and more with a flexible, streamlined workflow.

- USB Audio/MIDI Connection

Connect MONTAGE to your computer with a single USB cable and capture every nuance of your creativity into your DAW. MONTAGE’s powerful USB driver can send 16 and receive 3 channels of STEREO 24 bit/44.1 kHz digital audio to/from your computer or iOS device (MONTAGE is class compliant, no driver needed!), no other hardware required!

The USB connection also features full MIDI support of 16 channels.

* MONTAGE supports the sampling rate up to 192 kHz.
- SSS (Seamless Sound Switching)

Seamless Sound Switching (SSS) lets you change performances seamlessly without any cut-off in envelope or effects. This is perfect for live performances where you end one song and start another without stopping.

* This function is only available for Performances that have a maximum of 8 parts.
- A/D Input

The A/D input processes external audio sources with your instrument’s DSP. Use mics, guitars or any line source as an input and process with the internal effects.

You can even use these sources with the Envelope Follower or Sidechain for a truly unique sound.
- Physical Control

Eight Rotary Encoders and Faders with Stepladder LED

MONTAGE features a comprehensive set of physical controls for intuitive music making and sound creation.

・Touch Screen
Select and change parameters directly with the new color touch screen.

・Eight Rotary Encoders and Faders with Stepladder LED
Stepladder LEDs next to the faders indicate position making it easy to see where your current mix position is.

・Keyboard Action
MONTAGE is available in three different configurations:

MONTAGE6 and 7 feature the premium FSX semi-weighted synthesizer action with aftertouch in 61 and 76 keys respectively.

MONTAGE8 features an 88 key, fully-weighted Balanced Hammer action with aftertouch. This provides equal resistance for each key across the keyboard and is perfect for playing a variety of instruments from acoustic piano to electric piano, synth sounds, organ and more!

- LIVE SET

Live Set lets you organize your Performances however you want without copying, changing order or renaming. When a Performance is selected, you can easily register it to a Live Set. This is perfect for playing gigs or even creating your own organization scheme for Performances.
- Direct Control Assignment

Direct Control Assignment assigns controls at the touch of a button. Simply select a parameter, hit the Direct Control Assignment button and move the controller to control that parameter. It’s easy!
- Cubase AI bundle

MONTAGE is bundled with Cubase AI, Steinberg's professional music production application that offers integrated recording and editing.
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

is this Yamaha's Jupiter 80?
Old 15th January 2016
Gear Maniac

Well, looks like the Music Trades leak was accidental and 8op FM + AWM2 with the Yamaha quality musical sounds and cutting edge effects seals the deal for me.

Seamless sound switching!!!!

FM-X voice and AWM2 voice are separate and layed in perfromances instead of FM-X and AWM2 elements in a voice.

There will be some additional offerings at lower price points later, if past practices continue.

Craig
Old 15th January 2016
Here for the gear

I thought about getting the Kronos but this Montage might make me rethink my steps.
Having a 1.75GB Flash Memory installed is awesome. The Motif XF's always disgusted me with paying a lottsa money for having flash memories and additional sounds.
The Live set Mode and Seamless Sound Switching was needed to be even in 2010\2011. Late is better than never.
Old 15th January 2016
mp3
Lives for gear

Definitely evolutionary and not revolutionary.
Old 15th January 2016
Gear Nut
Thanks tons, MinoCan!

(1.75GB is an odd (sic) capacity btw.)
Old 15th January 2016
DGL
Gear Addict
I take it there is no sequencer, which would mean it would be a lot like the Jupiter-80
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear
I was hoping that it would have a way of using samples in FM but it doesn't read that way, so it's no SY99 update. I'd also have liked to see the reface engines in there.

But........it looks great! 8 operator FM and all that flash RAM and what will doubtless be a decent yamaha keyboard to boot = very appealing. I was thinking about getting a PC3K8 as a DAW controller/synth but this is making me think again.
Old 15th January 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGL View Post
I take it there is no sequencer, which would mean it would be a lot like the Jupiter-80
There's transport controls underneath the "Motion Control" knob, so although it was not explicitly stated, there is likely the same sequencer engine, perhaps improved, that is in the Motif series.

We will know soon.

Craig
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

Def more Jupiter 80 than Kronos. Personally I have given up on a "revolutionary" standalone workstation concept. And TBH I think the big three have given up on it as well.
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

There is a sequencer in there, so it's already a bit more than what JP-80 is.
Old 15th January 2016
Gear Nut

If I buy it, I'm afraid my Mackie Big Knob will get jealous of the Super Knob.

So many knobs for god's sake!!
Old 15th January 2016
Gear Nut

"Motion Sequences are tempo-synchronized, completely customizable control sequences that can be assigned to virtually any synthesizer parameter and provide incredible creative new ways of programming sound."

This sounds great, something like the FreeEG function on my beloved AN1x..
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

hmmm, I think I'm getting a stiffy. A SY99 25 years later. Just about every other synth may have just got bumped down the list.
Old 15th January 2016
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

This one looks fantastic. I have a couple of worries, though:
- is there a sequencer or not onboard? I hope there is a full fledged RS7000 like sequencer, including the many arps found in the Motif XF
- is there onboard sampling?
- effects: it says there are 32 effect blocks and altogether 32 parts I hope to God this doesn't mean there is now 1 dedicated effect block per part - I need to have at least 2 insert effects per part, as it is in the Motif range.
Old 15th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
There is a sequencer in there, so it's already a bit more than what JP-80 is.
yeh more like a Roland Fa-06 which also has 2 synth engines, 16 track sequencer and a 8 note poly sampler.
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

Am I interpreting it right that max user ram is 1.75GB? It's 4GB on XF. In no way is this a big let down or a deterrent to this new one. Kind of neat that the XF retains a strength.
Old 15th January 2016
I'd be interested in a 8 operator FM only synth too at some point in the future when they add spin offs from the flagship model.
Old 15th January 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsetto View Post
Am I interpreting it right that max user ram is 1.75GB?
I don't think so. It suggests that "1.75GB" is included. That does not exclude the possibility of expandability.
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

Anyone lamenting the lack of VA in the montage- the sy77 and 99 can do incredible analogue impersonations- with that in mind the montage should do just the same but better. This is gonna be a killer board!
Old 15th January 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga View Post
Anyone lamenting the lack of VA in the montage- the sy77 and 99 can do incredible analogue impersonations- with that in mind the montage should do just the same but better. This is gonna be a killer board!
Yes, VA such as the digital wave guide or impulse excited types in this board was hoped for. Perhaps the AWP70 processor will be used in another keyboard/module to pick up this mantle.

I think I shall get a 61 note FSX version to use with my 8XF.

The BIG unknown independent variables here are FM-X and how much of the SCM technology is utilized for some of the AWM2 waveforms/instruments.

FM-X with 8op could be much different than the FS1R that I have used for years. Betcha some of new feedback paradigm seen in the reface DX is entangled here.

Looks like elements are distinct from both engines and not combined until Performance mode.

Just using EG bias, you can realize some pretty incredible sonic transitions in FM, a differential map from the “knob” to any controller/parameter in the FM-X engine just staggers the mind for sonic transitions and real time performance.

Can’t wait to see how deeply FM-X has been implemented.

Craig
Old 15th January 2016
Deleted User
My biggest curiosities are: 1) How much will the Montage cost, 2) how much will the current stock of Motif XF's drop in price?
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockreid View Post
Teaser vids up

Haven't manufacturers learned that teaser videos are just ridiculous?

We should all boycott any gear marketed with stupid-ass teaser vids.

Last edited by StepLogik; 15th January 2016 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: typo due to meth addiction
Old 15th January 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepLogik View Post

Haven't manufacturers learned that teaser videos are just ridiculous?

We should all boycott any gear marketed with stupid-ass teaser vids.
Speaking of teaser VIDS and those who watched......Who here wants to admit that they spent $3K so they could get a THROBBING KNOB!!!!
Old 15th January 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by claurence View Post
My biggest curiosities are: 1) How much will the Montage cost, 2) how much will the current stock of Motif XF's drop in price?
1) I'm hoping for less, but I'm guessing it's gonna be in Kronos-Jupiter80 territory, a.ka $3000-4000.

2) The MOX XF already did some hefty damage to Motif XF's resell value, since it also included the Flash option. All this time, weirdly, Yamaha has sold the XF full retail though.
Old 15th January 2016
Here for the gear
Yeah and as I remember it there wasn't any noticeable price drop for the Motif XS when XF came. But I could be wrong...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search