The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Prophet 08 PE: Worth getting at this point? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 6th July 2015
Gear Nut

Prophet 08 PE: Worth getting at this point?

Hey

Having on the market the brand new Prophet 6, Pro 2 and 12, is worth getting a Prophet 08 PE?.

After all, is the cheapest (more than 4 voices) analog poly on the market these days.

Best,
J.
Old 6th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by snm10 View Post
Hey
After all, is the cheapest (more than 4 voices) analog poly on the market these days.
I think you answered your own question there. Plus more modulation. so...

cost
number of voices (in relation to cost)
modulation
Old 6th July 2015
Is a great synth
Old 6th July 2015
Gear interested

Yes! DSI made sure all their keyboards are worth getting.
Old 6th July 2015
Lives for gear

Definitely. As Kcearl says, it's a great synth.

It has a different sound to the other Prophets on the market now. Still has a fully analogue signal path, amazing modulation routing, 4 lfos, a 3rd assignable (loopable) envelope.

It's a joy and very deep to program, but easy to learn.
Old 6th July 2015
Gear interested

And don't forget the Gated Sequencer - it can do wonderful things.
Old 6th July 2015
Lives for gear
I bought mine to replace my Prophet 5 and have never thought of it of anything less than a fantastic synth. But sometimes its best to just let the sound speak for itself:

Old 6th July 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Clef View Post
I bought mine to replace my Prophet 5 and have never thought of it of anything less than a fantastic synth. But sometimes its best to just let the sound speak for itself:

Jesus ****ing christ! This is the best demo ever of the P08.
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by snm10 View Post
Jesus ****ing christ! This is the best demo ever of the P08.
That's what happens when fx are added.
Old 7th July 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Other Guy View Post
That's what happens when fx are added.
And great patch design, sequence programming, performance technique, artistry ...
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborgssc View Post
And great patch design, sequence programming, performance technique, artistry ...
Without a question. People have historically given the Prophet 08 kind of a bad rap because almost all videos show it completely dry. I know it's a great synth because I own one. When you add FX to a good dry sound, it becomes a great sound.
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

I'll never forget the day that the Prophet 08 came into the studio. At that time, I had entire room full of prestige vintage synths. All I could think about was just how superior this synth was. Modern, quality build, reliable, phenomenal sound.

It is still my primary axe and I think one of the finest synths ever made.

I can't wait to get my hands on the P6!
Old 7th July 2015
Gear Addict
The Prophet 08 is a great-sounding instrument. While it has had its detractors, I like it, and will get one at some point.
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

The prophet08 is an amazing synth. I used to have one, but sold it for financial reasons.

The Filter FM sound is just brilliant. Really nice strings as well. This synth can produce Monsterous kick drums.
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

I'd take the Prophet '08 over any of the newer DSI/Sequential offerings. And not because of the feature set. I just prefer the basic tone (to my ears, nearly identical to the Oberheim OB-8). I think the P'08 remains a very viable synth...
Old 7th July 2015
Gear Maniac

It might seem kinda petty, but i wish DSI would release a special edition prophet 08 with the same build quality/UI as their recent offerings (screen painted, more wood, OLED screen).
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear
My question is Prophet 8 or Pro 2 if you have 2 mono synths already but no poly synths.
Old 7th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringostar View Post
My question is Prophet 8 or Pro 2 if you have 2 mono synths already but no poly synths.
Prophet 08 no question.
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

The sound does speak for itself as does your music.
Great job.
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knoch View Post
The sound does speak for itself as does your music.
Great job.
oh not my music! All credit to Gattobus. It was on my recommended vid list. I just thought it was too good not to post.
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
oh not my music! All credit to Gattobus. It was on my recommended vid list. I just thought it was too good not to post.
I agree! Thanks for posting it!
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

I would take P8 over P6.
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

To me the new stuff does not take away from the PO8PE. There is one thing that has always bugged me about the 8 and that no built in effects. Delay and chorus would have been great!! Add a big sky reverb and call it a day.
Old 7th July 2015
Quote:

Nice!
Old 12th July 2015
Lives for gear

I am pretty sold on getting a P08 PE module in August when some cash rolls in...I am trying to think of an fx unit worthy of this synth...I have an Oto Biscuit and an MX200 among some less impressive junk pedals...

on my list are a Strymon Timeline, Strymong Bigsky, Edkhal Moisterizer and the Eventide H9... I prefer something really tweak able live ...and I am bigger fan of delay than reverb by far...the Timeline is my top choice atm...though the Moisterizer is very tempting...I have Vahalla Vintage Verb and for me reverb is much more a set and forget affect than delay...I typically multi track live jams and edit audio later.
Old 12th July 2015
Here for the gear

Old 12th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paega View Post
I am pretty sold on getting a P08 PE module in August when some cash rolls in...I am trying to think of an fx unit worthy of this synth...I have an Oto Biscuit and an MX200 among some less impressive junk pedals...

on my list are a Strymon Timeline, Strymong Bigsky, Edkhal Moisterizer and the Eventide H9... I prefer something really tweak able live ...and I am bigger fan of delay than reverb by far...the Timeline is my top choice atm...though the Moisterizer is very tempting...I have Vahalla Vintage Verb and for me reverb is much more a set and forget affect than delay...I typically multi track live jams and edit audio later.
I went with an El Capistan over the Timeline. It felt more intuitive and hands-on. Always felt I was consciously programming effects on the Timeline. Sounds wonderful with the P08. I also use a Big Sky when working OTB although I agree that Valhalla Vintage Verb or Room will sound just as great. FX really make the P08 sing.

Even if I get a P6 sometime in the future, I can't see myself parting with the P08. I would miss the modulation too much. I like how I can think of almost any behaviour and get the P08 to do it with a combination of LFOs and envelopes. It can be as vanilla or as expressive as you want it to be.
Old 12th July 2015
Gear Addict

Absolutely awesome! Sitting here with goose bumps.

Quote:

Old 12th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuseball View Post
I went with an El Capistan over the Timeline. It felt more intuitive and hands-on. Always felt I was consciously programming effects on the Timeline. Sounds wonderful with the P08. I also use a Big Sky when working OTB although I agree that Valhalla Vintage Verb or Room will sound just as great. FX really make the P08 sing.

Even if I get a P6 sometime in the future, I can't see myself parting with the P08. I would miss the modulation too much. I like how I can think of almost any behaviour and get the P08 to do it with a combination of LFOs and envelopes. It can be as vanilla or as expressive as you want it to be.
I'm trying to tell the difference between the El Cap and the dTape algorithm on the Time Line. In the past, I was told by an owner of both that the Time Line lost you almost all the cool control you get with the El Cap, but now it seems you can get to almost all that stuff on the Time Line?

At the moment I am satisfied with the Lexicon MX200 for OTB reverb though its very vanilla (as you put it). I prefer controlling reverb ITB.

The Time Line seems to offer plenty of tweakability and it would be nice to have more than just the dTape algorithm as the Time Line is only peanuts more than just the El Cap.

At this point I don't think I'd loose money trying out the Time Line as it seems immensely popular.
Old 12th July 2015
Here for the gear

I've just started playing keys "polyphonically" (have played bass on a Voyager for two years since I wanted to play synthbass as well as electric bass) and I'm looking for a nice poly to pair with my Voyager. Bought a JX8P very cheap ($130) the other week and I thought of it right away as pretty "weak". But since I got it cheap I'm not that dissatisfied. Now I can practice my keyboard action AND see it as a challenge to improve my tweaking skills.
But I'm saving to be able to buy something that'll suit me better. I've got my eyes on the Prophet6 but it's quite expensive in Sweden right now due to low exchange rates. So picking it up used in a year or so i probably the sanest choice for me. A step in that direction could be the P08 which I'm really interested in. Tried a bandmates P08 for an evening and really felt like using it more.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search