The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Prophet 08 PE: Worth getting at this point? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 12th July 2015
Gear Maniac

Just ordered mine P08 Module today.
It's my first DSI instrument, cant wait to turn some knobs
Old 12th July 2015
Yul
Gear Addict

No disrespect for the p08 ( had it, loved it, miss it, will get it again) but the JX-8p is a monster but you need to go beyond the presets and also set the dynamics to 0 otherwise it will be bland.
Old 12th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paega View Post
I'm trying to tell the difference between the El Cap and the dTape algorithm on the Time Line. In the past, I was told by an owner of both that the Time Line lost you almost all the cool control you get with the El Cap, but now it seems you can get to almost all that stuff on the Time Line?

At the moment I am satisfied with the Lexicon MX200 for OTB reverb though its very vanilla (as you put it). I prefer controlling reverb ITB.

The Time Line seems to offer plenty of tweakability and it would be nice to have more than just the dTape algorithm as the Time Line is only peanuts more than just the El Cap.

At this point I don't think I'd loose money trying out the Time Line as it seems immensely popular.
The Timeline has what is probably my least favourite El Capistan setting for it's dTape implementation. It uses the "single head" setting, whereas I prefer the "fixed head". Admittedly I was only really after a tape delay effect, so the El Cap variations meant more to me than the myriad different delays on the Timeline.

It sounds like you're really into your delays, so the Timeline would probably offer you a lot more for the money. I remember the dBucket, Ice, Dual and Pattern algorithms all being really good and inspiring. Go for it.
Old 12th July 2015
Deleted User
I own both the JX-3P and JX-8P, and hands down I prefer my JX-3P over the 8P.
I am thinking of selling the 8P!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yul View Post
No disrespect for the p08 ( had it, loved it, miss it, will get it again) but the JX-8p is a monster but you need to go beyond the presets and also set the dynamics to 0 otherwise it will be bland.
Old 12th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
Most people do, I think.
Old 12th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuseball View Post
The Timeline has what is probably my least favourite El Capistan setting for it's dTape implementation. It uses the "single head" setting, whereas I prefer the "fixed head". Admittedly I was only really after a tape delay effect, so the El Cap variations meant more to me than the myriad different delays on the Timeline.

It sounds like you're really into your delays, so the Timeline would probably offer you a lot more for the money. I remember the dBucket, Ice, Dual and Pattern algorithms all being really good and inspiring. Go for it.
Yea...lol...delay fiend here...I see ...the tape heads were a missing option on the time line. I think I will go for the time line and get the el cap later if the dtape on the tinpme line doest do it for me...I am a sucker for tape delay...though again I have Uhe Satin as well. Thanks dude
Old 13th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
I am thinking of selling the 8P!
I had both also (and MKS-70). JX-3P was a real heartbreaker to sell, the 8P to me was always just there because it could be (cheap) and I NEVER once used it in a track, it did nothing for me... nor the MKS-70 (in fact the rack even less so). I sold the 8P without regret and flipped the MKS-70 within a month. Horrible tone. 3P has the classic rounded roland sound, sounds proper analog like the early 3 junos (but different of course). It would be my third favourite Roland poly synth that I've owned, after the JD-800 and Juno 106...

I really miss the 3P, I try to forget the 8P/10 even exist.
Old 13th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stue View Post
Best synthesist in the world today.

Old 13th July 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post

He makes it look so easy too, like all the greats!
Old 13th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn n Frayed View Post
He makes it look so easy too, like all the greats!
He's seriously talented.
Old 15th July 2015
Gear Maniac

Couple evenings behind with P08. That thing sounds fat and rich. So full and beefy. Effects would have been nice bonus IMO.
Old 16th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemenJ View Post
Couple evenings behind with P08. That thing sounds fat and rich. So full and beefy. Effects would have been nice bonus IMO.
Nice! Yeah i love mine. In true slut fashion you get to shop for some fx too. Your budget is th e difference in price between 08 and 06
Old 16th July 2015
Lives for gear

Got mine a few weeks ago , the sound is amazing!
Old 16th July 2015
Lives for gear

Is a 08 PE still worth buying...ABSOLUTELY!
I'm a proud owner of a Prophet 6 and while I love it, 2 more voices would be awesome.

I will say one thing though. The Prophet 6 I think will hold it's value MUCH MUCH longer than the Prophet 08.

That's not based on anything other than me currently seeing Prophet 08's going for $1000 here on CL.
Old 16th July 2015
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
I would take P8 over P6.
Curious, what are your reasons for this position? I haven't used either synth, but from memory you have experience with a range of high end gear.
Old 16th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNMusicman View Post

That's not based on anything other than me currently seeing Prophet 08's going for $1000 here on CL.
A Prophet 08 for 1K is an absolute bargain!
Old 16th July 2015
Lives for gear

Well I think it depends on what you want. If you want a really good basic tone paired with a straightforward synth go with the P6. If you want lots of modulation go P08. I've never been really movedbby the 08's tone, although these videos in this thread have given me food for thought! Absolutely stunning.
Old 16th July 2015
Gear Addict

Old 16th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNMusicman View Post

I will say one thing though. The Prophet 6 I think will hold it's value MUCH MUCH longer than the Prophet 08.

You could be correct here but i think this might be an issue of the p6 release. New analog coming out = old one getting dumped for fundage. I would expect that if they release a new digital the p12 will drop as well.

I started looking for a poly analog when p6 was released. I couldn't wait that long and I saw that the p8 was getting discounted from all sorts of vendors. I got mine new (back stock) for $1400 after a lotta shopping around and waiting for a deal.

Also did same thing with nord electro - scooped up a 4d with hard case (also new back stock) shortly after the 5 release was announced for $1600. Actually i ordered the electro 4 SW73 but got mishipped and after i broke it outta the box decided to to keep it.)

So it might just be heads wanting the "newest new," and retailers dumping old versions in response to the upcoming releases.

Only time will tell tho!
Old 16th July 2015
Lives for gear

I'd much rather have a P08 than a P06. The 08 has a more robust engine, more voices, layers, more modulation, and it sounds just as good. It's simply the better synth. The only thing the 06 has is a better look. But people will swear that they can her how much more "organic" and "alive" the 6's VOCs are, even though if you made a video showing the 6 being played, but triggering sounds from the 08 people would say the say damn thing. We're just in this lame time right now where people are totally obsessed with "real analog" being the end-all be-all of synthesizers. It is to laugh.
Old 16th July 2015
Lives for gear

How is the build uqality on the P08 these days? no longer any problems with the pots?
Old 16th July 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
How is the build uqality on the P08 these days? no longer any problems with the pots?
My P08 from last Summer has fantastic build quality. I have had no issues with the pots (I had done a lot of reading on the pots and encoder issues before purchasing), and am also happy with the quality of the input and output jacks at the back (saw a complaint about that somewhere on these forums earlier).
Old 16th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post

Seems inspired by Nils Frahm

Both quite good
Old 16th July 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Direct quote from DSI's website:
"A few years back, there was an issue with some of the encoders used on the Prophet ’08 keyboard and module. We received some bad parts from our supplier that were mixed in our shipments for a short period of time. These encoders in question have a shorter lifetime than their specification, causing problems with some of our synths in the field. Please note that this does not affect all units."

They've manufactured this synth many years now, so I dont think that the encoders are issue any more if you buy a brand new unit.
Old 16th July 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Seems inspired by Nils Frahm

Both quite good
Ahhh Nils Frahm is a genius. I LOVE his music
Old 16th August 2015
Here for the gear

Hi everyone,

beceause of my budget, I need your opinions to help me make a quick choice.
If I get a Prophet 8, is there any chance to get fat low basslines like on SE-1 or ATC-1 as used on hip hop and RnB productions??
Thanks.
Old 17th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy O View Post
Hi everyone,

beceause of my budget, I need your opinions to help me make a quick choice.
If I get a Prophet 8, is there any chance to get fat low basslines like on SE-1 or ATC-1 as used on hip hop and RnB productions??
Thanks.
I have gotten some decent bass sounds from my P08, but it is not really it's strong point. Far from it.
Haven't used an SE-1 or ATC-1, but I'm guessing they would be much better at making the kind of bass you described.
Old 17th August 2015
Lives for gear

I wouldn't get a P08 if you're trying to get "fat low basslines like on SE-1 or ATC-1".
You'd be better off with the mopho - at least it has a sub oscillator.

aren't Prophet 08 PE: Worth getting at this point?SE-1 & Prophet 08 PE: Worth getting at this point?ATC-1 cheaper then P08 anyways?
Old 17th August 2015
Lives for gear
If you like the sound then yes. It is a great machine regardless of age.
Old 19th August 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reactions, the thing is I love both style!!

Now trying to find out about: ATC-1 vs SE-1, but that's another topic, thank you all again.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search