The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha Reface countdown
Old 4th July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskyfarer View Post
Why do you think so? The only significant difference would be having to scroll between 32, not 8 values for the algorithm selection. I think there might be buttons between the rows of algorithms and the keyboard, but it's hard to see.
Using the DX100 as an example: if there were no push buttons on the front panel, you'd have to cycle between 48+ different menu parameters. But since they are there and everything is printed on the interface, you only need to press two buttons tops to gain access to any parameter.
Old 4th July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My first FM synth was a DX7 with E! card, in the late 80s. I learned how to program it, but it was a pain, and I knew what I was doing! The lack of wheels is bad enough, but there should be two sliders, one called brightness (filtering under the hood via modulator amount) and the other transpose/noise (ratio between operators, from consonant to dissonant ratios). That way, most of us can figure it out. Now granted, this'll probably be in the plug-in version, but it's too bad it's not on the hardware synth.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
@ R3Member

Yes, the buttons might be there but the pic is too blurry to see them. Sorry, for some reason I thought you were talking about having buttons instead of the diagrams so you could press them to make your selection
Old 4th July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
When you look at all 4 teasers, they use the words 'them' 'red' to describe the products. I would suggest maybe its a family of products, possibly one of each line of the 'famous' lines. I.E maybe one product based on CS line, DX another etc. all with same theme red casing to keep production costs down.. Just a thought after seeing those teasers....
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goony View Post
When you look at all 4 teasers, they use the words 'them' 'red' to describe the products. I would suggest maybe its a family of products, possibly one of each line of the 'famous' lines. I.E maybe one product based on CS line, DX another etc. all with same theme red casing to keep production costs down.. Just a thought after seeing those teasers....
Look at the actual images a page or two back in the thread.

Pete
Old 4th July 2015
meh
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I'm really, REALLY dissappointed to see the DX doesn't have knobs. and that the YC and cp remain only 37 key. That just doesn't do much for organ and piano sounds. Just like how? how?? How after over 10 years of customers saying what they want, these companies pull disappointments out of their asses and tell us to get excited. For some reason I REALLY thought yamaha was going to come thru. I'm fed up with these companies... and fed up with their new instruments that are barely desirable. Maybe, just maybe, the CS will be cool, if they put pitch and mod wheels on it and those ads don't turn out to be the final product. But if they do something as moronic as "oopsies, we cut a corner on the basics" Like so many companies do, I think the companies need it's head people to have some psychological testing, or just get fired like they deserve.

Last edited by meh; 4th July 2015 at 11:53 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goony View Post
You haven't been following this thread too closely have you?

Someone's posted a leaked pic earlier of the 4 synths with 3 octave minikeys on post 1307 2 pages back:
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk View Post
okay, so wait, this guy got important information, and he makes the CRAPPIEST PICTURE ON HIS MOMS BED?
White CS (analog synth, about 21 knobs and sliders)
Brown DX (fm synth, I can only see 2 or 3 knobs, maybe has lots of buttons? A blue LCD display? too blurry to make out)
Black CP (elec grand piano, about 11 big knobs based on a grab for the last video)
Red YC (organ, 3 knobs, 9 black drawbars, 2 green and 3 yellow switches, 2 yellow sliders)

All seem to share a silver switch on the far left, probably an on/off switch.
Old 4th July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks Pete..I didnt see those... To me look like preset keyboards that you can alter basic settings with........ I really wanted a new version of the DX line... Keys look the overhang a bit too much too for me..asking for trouble.....
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Where are the wheels?!!!!! There's space for it even!! .
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
The way it's "supposed to work" vs. the way it "actually works" are two different things.
Old 5th July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This has me baffled seeing you can get both DX7II's, DX7's and AN1x's for absolutely little money these days.
A couple of months back I had to force myself away from a secondhand AN1x in excellent condition at Long & McQuade for $299.
Would have just been an impulse purchase and I've learned to plan studio gear acquisition more methodically in my 40's.
I would have been all over a knob laden DX11 with a decent multimode resonant filter and good keys but this not so much.
Old 5th July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VennD68 View Post
This has me baffled seeing you can get both DX7II's, DX7's and AN1x's for absolutely little money these days.
A couple of months back I had to force myself away from a secondhand AN1x in excellent condition at Long & McQuade for $299.
Would have just been an impulse purchase and I've learned to plan studio gear acquisition more methodically in my 40's.
I would have been all over a knob laden DX11 with a decent multimode resonant filter and good keys but this not so much.
Yes me too. I loved sound of the DX series...
Old 5th July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
One thing is for sure now: There seems to be more money in the microkorg-principle than we all think. Actually I was fine with Yamaha having left the Synth market.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VennD68 View Post
I'm really hoping that this just is Phase 1 of Yamaha testing the waters of making synthesizers again, and Phase 2 will be something exactly like you describe. I'm still waiting to pass judgement until I can actually see and hear what Reface is all about tho.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimmt View Post
One thing is for sure now: There seems to be more money in the microkorg-principle than we all think. Actually I was fine with Yamaha having left the Synth market.
Isn't it oversaturated by now? Of course impulse buy marker is big, but is it big enough for another brand which is late to the party and trying to save cost on modwheels?
Old 5th July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How quickly will those keys break while travelling around with it?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I still have hope the CS is a real analog.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It's not true. I just spoke to Vangelis on the phone again (he was drinking lemon green tea with a pinch of ginger) and the conversation wen't like this:

Me: Hi Vangelis, have you heard the news? About the 'CS' inspired Reface Synthesizer?
Vangelis: Yes... Yes... I saw it.
Me: So, did you like it?
Vangelis: ...
Me: Hello?
Vangelis: ... Well, what do you want me to say? It's a joke.

And he hung up immediately. Normally he is not like this, we speak about lots of things; horse riding, balsamic vinegar, yoga practice etc. He sounded quite disappointed.
A yamaha rep recently reached another famous user at his LA studio, for his first impressions of Reface:

Rep: "Stevie, we have brought you something! An instrument that will bring back memories of the past!" (hands him the Reface)

S: (exploring the instrument with his fingers -- finds the mini-keys. Face lights up): "YOU BROUGHT ME A CASIO!"

Rep: "No Stevie, that's the new Yamaha Reface!"

S: "It's not a Casio?" (visibly loses interest; hands it back). "Well, thanks . . ."

Rep: "Wait Stevie! It has batteries!" (turns it on) "Try it!"

S: (plays succession of amazing bass lines, jazzy chords, and funky riffs -- all rendered cheesy by the cheap digital sound of the Reface): "That sounds like a$$."

Rep: (fishing around in backpack): "Don't worry Stevie! We have MORE Refaces! Different sounds and flavors!" (becomes flustered; various Refaces crash to the floor; rep gathers them up).

S:(gently pushing him out the door): "Thanks. You should have brought me a Casio."

Last edited by percussion boy; 5th July 2015 at 12:54 AM..
Old 5th July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
CS-80 prices seem to have stabilized, Captain.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluttypat View Post
I still have hope the CS is a real analog.
no one is going to spend Β£1,200 on a 37key Analogue synth

the 80 had 6 voices.
Deleted b5734b5
Quote:
okay, so wait, this guy got important information, and he makes the CRAPPIEST PICTURE ON HIS MOMS BED?
Dang, that looks like a royal POS. TBH his moms bed looks pretty sweet compared to the actual magazine AD.

So Yamaha is giving birth to a plastic Clavia-ish synth?

Everything looks bad and cheap... sigh...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avon View Post

the 80 had 6 voices.
right, I forgot about this one. No hope then.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avon View Post
no one is going to spend Β£1,200 on a 37key Analogue synth
Elektron Analog Keys.

Pete
Old 5th July 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Maybe it's not a CS 80 afterall. Maybe it's the CS 10 or a analog monophonic of the kind.

Maybe they're testing the market with a CS10, and if it sells well, they will release a CS80 in a couple of years.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluttypat View Post
Maybe it's not a CS 80 afterall. Maybe it's the CS 10 or a analog monophonic of the kind.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11164963-post1303.html

Although I think it's a DSP model. I'm 99% positive (based on nothing other than the teasers) and the idea of building four synths at once, that these are all synths based on the same DSP architecture, though.

Would be a whole different story if it's an actual analog. Analogs (as Korg found) are hackable, and have value beyond software.

Pete
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh View Post
I'm really, REALLY dissappointed to see the DX doesn't have knobs. and that the YC and cp remain only 37 key. That just doesn't do much for organ and piano sounds. Just like how? how?? How after over 10 years of customers saying what they want, these companies pull disappointments out of their asses and tell us to get excited. For some reason I REALLY thought yamaha was going to come thru. I'm fed up with these companies... and fed up with their new instruments that are barely desirable. Maybe, just maybe, the CS will be cool, if they put pitch and mod wheels on it and those ads don't turn out to be the final product. But if they do something as moronic as "oopsies, we cut a corner on the basics" Like so many companies do, I think the companies need it's head people to have some psychological testing, or just get fired like they deserve.
meh. you are right. meh.

these reface toy keyboards look like they flushed 100 years of synthesizer history and development down the toilet.

P.S I bet you are able to flush these little things actually down the toilet.
Old 5th July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, on a positive note, I looked up all the actors in the videos, and they're all over 6.5 feet/2 metres! So the keys might be just right for us mere mortals. And maybe the mod/pitch wheels are on a very large Reface dock, with dozens of controls, that accepts any of the four small synths. And perhaps there will be peace in the Middle East next month, vintage prices will plummet, Moog makes a bunch of polys...
Old 5th July 2015
Lives for gear

not sure who these are aimed at...
cheap, mini key synths...

is this competition for the jd-xi, novation mini nova, arturia micro brute and the korg microkorg xl?

if the DX version sounds as good as a DX7/TX7 then i'm interested..but it better be editable..and load/come with a ton of 80's DX patches.
let me be clear it needs to BE a DX engine...not a VA that sounds like/similar to a DX
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
not sure who these are aimed at...
cheap, mini key synths...

is this competition for the jd-xi, novation mini nova, arturia micro brute and the korg microkorg xl?

if the DX version sounds as good as a DX7/TX7 then i'm interested..but it better be editable..and load/come with a ton of 80's DX patches.
let me be clear it needs to BE a DX engine...not a VA that sounds like/similar to a DX
Knobby FM.

And that's what someone felt was necessary for controls with just the old OPL-3 two-op chip.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YMF262

If Yamaha burned a new dedicated FM chip, there would be lots of fun hack projects around it. I can't imagine they would do that, though, with DSP being so much more economical, and easier to amortize across four new synthesizers.

What I expect to see from them, though, is DX/FM implemented in DSP. It's FM. It's not VA, but it's not *exactly* the DX engine either. Just like a VST, it'll be an approximation, so it won't make everyone happy.

Pete
Old 5th July 2015
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Dear Yamaha,

πŸ“ Reply