The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha Reface countdown
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Played around with a Reface CS again today. It's a bit too crippled for my tastes as far as VA synths go, but it does sound good. Definitely better than the Boutiques in that regard. I just wish they made a bigger version of it, because the lack of features on such a good sounding VA do annoy me a little bit. I might still get one, though. I like it.

(In before "They DID make a bigger version of it, dood. It's called the An1x")
Old 15th June 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post
Still love my CS, it sounds wonderful, plus it's easily the most "fun" synth I've owned since my old Juno-60. It's perfect for quickly composing melodies. It has the best mini-keys I've ever played, and at the current price I think it's a better choice than the Roland Boutique series.

Also, hint: every company wants your money.
I totally agree. I feel the same way about my Volca keys

(You just lost the debate in case you didn't notice)

Hint: I want YOUR money, but I'm not going to do anything dishonest to get it.....like sell you a Micron for $500

(1st round TKO, send me some REAL competition next time)

And after all this I still concede the CS sounds great, It's like the Transformers ride at Universal, yeah, it was fun, but not 3 hours in line fun.

But the real point here is this: by paying that price for that product you have made things worse for everybody, think about that next time you decide it's ok for someone to rip you off. It's not all about YOU.

Last edited by terrible.dee; 15th June 2017 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: props
Old 15th June 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha View Post
(In before "They DID make a bigger version of it, dood. It's called the An1x")
I agree with you though, I'd like a full-size Reface with knob-per-function controls. People can say the AN1x had an "easy" menu system, but that interface keeps me from buying one. Nothing is better than a panel full of sliders and knobs.
Old 16th June 2017 | Show parent
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
I totally agree. I feel the same way about my Volca keys

(You just lost the debate in case you didn't notice)

Hint: I want YOUR money, but I'm not going to do anything dishonest to get it.....like sell you a Micron for $500

(1st round TKO, send me some REAL competition next time)

And after all this I still concede the CS sounds great, It's like the Transformers ride at Universal, yeah, it was fun, but not 3 hours in line fun.

But the real point here is this: by paying that price for that product you have made things worse for everybody, think about that next time you decide it's ok for someone to rip you off. It's not all about YOU.
So what is your argument? Its not cheap enough for you? Volca keys are not as full synth voice, much less korg's flagship engine, kinda comparing Apple's to grapfruit..
Old 16th June 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
But the real point here is this: by paying that price for that product you have made things worse for everybody
I don't remember saying what I paid, but since you're curious it was $325 brand new. SamAsh keeps re-listing these on Ebay as "used", but that's just to get around the minmum advertised price restriction - they'll send you a brand new, sealed-in-box CS.
Yamaha Reface countdownYamaha Reface CS Mini-Key Keyboard (Used) | eBay
You should pick one up, it would go nicely with your Volca Keys.

I'm wondering why you chose the Reface as the target of your "rip off" ranting. The last time I was in a music store there were some MIDI controller keyboards going for around $500, and they can't even make a sound on their own. THAT seems like a waste of money to me.
Old 17th June 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Strange. People whine so much about the CS price. They should go check out a Gaia.
Old 17th June 2017
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I wonder if Yamaha is planning on expanding on this stuff or is that it? I've been thinking about getting a Reface DX.
Old 21st July 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Few weeks ago saw a reface dx in a local shop for 280€ new so I bought it right away, why not, I was curious and it wasn't much money. Already been said many times but it's a fantastic synth, seriously brilliant, and I'm surprised it hasn't developed a bigger following. One of my best purchases in years, even the mini size is great to handle, move around and leave it nearby, just slightly bigger than a computer keyboard.
Old 4th September 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
In case Yamaha makes more Reface, some things I'm wishing for:
- Use the same 1/8 MIDI adapter Korg/Arturia/Novation have been using. If you can't sneak full size in there at least use this increasingly more common alternative.
- Bluetooth so that I can connect to any compatible speakers or headphones.
- Some kind of built-in speaker protection...managed to scare myself once...

A specific model I'd like to see is a Reface AN: wavetable synth focusing on sounds with a lot of movement and on evolving arpeggios/sequences. Very digital-dancy-trancy-fx-laden-tempo-synced stuff. Importantly: it's BLUE.

Interface is similar to the AN1x: a matrix of knobs + buttons for the core editing, a touchscreen to see what you're doing and to edit or record all that modulation and automation, and lastly a directly accessible arp section to get the pulse going. It'll probably need presets.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Is the reface DX being discontinued? A few months ago there was a price drop. Today I notice that Thomann isn't selling it anymore.

Can we expect a reface DX v2 or is Yamaha done with it?
Old 4th September 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
$275 is very tempting for this cool little piece, but I'm already well FM'd up at this point.

I'd be amazed if they do anything more with FM for now. This or the Montage are your choices for the foreseeable future in all likelihood.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdborn View Post
Is the reface DX being discontinued? A few months ago there was a price drop. Today I notice that Thomann isn't selling it anymore.

Can we expect a reface DX v2 or is Yamaha done with it?
They're all discontinued. They were not hits, so I doubt there will be a V2.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
$275 is very tempting for this cool little piece, but I'm already well FM'd up at this point.
I had a ton of FM also, but the Reface DX is quite different, it's interface is the best I have ever used on an FM synth
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
I had a ton of FM also, but the Reface DX is quite different, it's interface is the best I have ever used on an FM synth
I really like feedback for each operator as well. I'll get one one of these days. I'm a bit of an FM-ophile, ha
Old 4th September 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I love the fx of the reface dx, they are simple but really expand the palette of the synth. Instant retro pads and keys machine.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
I really like feedback for each operator as well. I'll get one one of these days. I'm a bit of an FM-ophile, ha
Yeah me too, the Reface DX also sounds very clean with none of the hiss and aliasing of my older Yamaha FM

Plus it has the classic EP sound for when you want to get your 80s vibe on lol
Old 5th September 2017 | Show parent
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihearanewworld View Post
They're all discontinued. They were not hits, so I doubt there will be a V2.
Are you sure? Sweetwater is out, but says Yamaha ran out and is building more?
Old 5th September 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Now I want to start a band where the members play nothing but Yamaha Refaces and Roland Boutiques.
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I wonder if the reface keyboards were made to hype up the Yamaha Brand before the launch of the Montage. Would be a shame if they discontinued the reface line now, instead of adding new ones. They lack VL, AWM2, FS (Formant) and SY (analog) versions.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
In case Yamaha makes more Reface, some things I'm wishing for:
- Use the same 1/8 MIDI adapter Korg/Arturia/Novation have been using. If you can't sneak full size in there at least use this increasingly more common alternative.
Those 1/8" MIDI adapters are one direction (in or out) only versus Yamaha's mini DIN which incorporates both directions. Yamaha's scheme is actually less cumbersome if you need both directions. They've been using it at least since the Tenori On days so I doubt they will be changing it up anytime soon.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsongs View Post
Now I want to start a band where the members play nothing but Yamaha Refaces and Roland Boutiques.
Refa Boutique

Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The Bou-Tang Yam
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Boo Face
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Boutique Faces
Old 5th September 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Rebou Fatique and the Smallform Minikeys
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
Those 1/8" MIDI adapters are one direction (in or out) only versus Yamaha's mini DIN which incorporates both directions. Yamaha's scheme is actually less cumbersome if you need both directions. They've been using it at least since the Tenori On days so I doubt they will be changing it up anytime soon.
Yeah they are not bad at all, and I'm happy they didn't make it USB only, if they did I wouldn't own one
Old 5th September 2017
Deleted 0cbbc73
BouYah
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear
Sorry for the obvious question, but I can’t find elsewhere this information. So, the sliders of the Reface CS can transmit midi messages when the unit is connected with the mac or pc?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 0cbbc73 View Post
BouYah
Oh yes...add some Korg to this mix and what do we have:

Old 6th September 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice187 View Post
Sorry for the obvious question, but I can’t find elsewhere this information. So, the sliders of the Reface CS can transmit midi messages when the unit is connected with the mac or pc?
Yeah, everything apart from the volume and looper spits out and receives midi CC

Full details here Reface MIDI Implementation Charts
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha Reface countdown-screen-shot-2017-09-06-12.38.11.jpg  
πŸ“ Reply