The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Zoom 1201 vocoder sounds Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 2nd June 2015
Lives for gear

Zoom 1201 vocoder sounds

After owning a Zoom 1201 for many years, i never tried the vocoder but now i have

Here are some sounds, no external fx used :
Attached Files

zoom1201vocoderedit.mp3 (3.27 MB, 5454 views)

Old 2nd June 2015
Lives for gear

They are pretty good aren't they, they've definitely got character. I swapped my 1201 for an RFX1000, slightly less hiss. I keep wondering if the RFX2000, RFX1100 or RFX2200 are less hissy. Digital outputs on the 2000/2200 but maybe the hiss is from the input amp? Just got to set my levels carefully in the meantime. That clip above seemed clean enough.
Old 2nd June 2015
Lives for gear

love the grit!
not very clean and intelligible.
I have a 1204- have not tried the Vocoder on it (good to know the sonic area it might provide).
There are so many great vocoder options available now. (I have more than a few in my kit list).
Best demo I have heard so far has been the Electro Harmonix pedal (orange one)- at least for my tastes.
That one is a bit pricey though- since so many effects processors and synths have good Vocoder options (and you get more than just a Vocoder- like the new JDxi for instance).
Old 2nd June 2015
Gear Head

Sound good! Can the Zoom 1201 vocoder be used without a synth?
Old 2nd June 2015
Lives for gear

you can plug in any carrier signal
Old 2nd June 2015
Sounds cool, I've never tried the vocoder either on my 1204! But I will now, thanks!

Old 2nd June 2015
Lives for gear

i used various carrier signals like saw, noise and pulse in random order

the zoom has a 11 and 18 band vocoder types, the 11 band is the less intelligable one

these things go for 50 bucks 2nd hand or something for that price the vocoder was an ear opener
Old 3rd June 2015
Lives for gear

That sounded good?!? No ... Maybe I've been spoiled by having had a V-Synth XT (best digital vocoder imo) but that Zoom piece sounded horrible — even for digital ... barely there source sound and way too much dirt ... Reminded me of Micron vocoder but even worse ...

Not trying to dump on this piece but ... that's my honest reaction after hearing that demo ...

Last edited by Diametro; 3rd June 2015 at 01:52 AM..
Old 3rd June 2015
Lives for gear

Sounds pretty good to me, with some nice variety. A bit on the gritty side, but sometimes that's what you want in a vocoder, it stands out in the mix more.
Old 3rd June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
That sounded good?!? No ... Maybe I've been spoiled by having had a V-Synth XT (best digital vocoder imo) but that Zoom piece sounded horrible — even for digital ... barely there source sound and way too much dirt ... Reminded me of Micron vocoder but even worse ...

Not trying to dump on this piece but ... that's my honest reaction after hearing that demo ...
it costs around 50 bucks, what do you expect?
the sennheiser vsm 201?
Old 3rd June 2015
Gear Head

I expect that the sound quality is very dependant on the waveform being used.

Is the sound at 15 seconds and 20 seconds using the sawtooth waveform? And what waveform was used at 37 and 51 seconds?
Old 3rd June 2015
Gear Maniac

Hah! Cool... Anyone mess with the Behringer Virtualizer vocoder? Any good?

Last edited by Astralform; 3rd June 2015 at 09:21 PM..
Old 3rd June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyote View Post
I expect that the sound quality is very dependant on the waveform being used.

Is the sound at 15 seconds and 20 seconds using the sawtooth waveform? And what waveform was used at 37 and 51 seconds?
i believe pulse waveform.
and at 51 i believe a low pitched saw
Old 3rd June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassX View Post
it costs around 50 bucks, what do you expect?
the sennheiser vsm 201?
Like a cheap softsynth, I wouldn't use it ... It could cost 5 cents; I wouldn't use it ... I suppose if I were trying to make some kind of bedraggled sonic statement it could be useful but that vocoder reeks of digital desperation ...
Old 3rd June 2015
Lives for gear

i know, low cost gear sucks for making music
Old 3rd June 2015
Lives for gear

I really don't think you'd notice in a track. It's a sound effect, it's not underpinning a track like a synth does.

The Boss SE50/70 have vocoders in too, with a nice Roland chorus on them. I've got all of these, I should do a shootout.
Old 3rd June 2015
Lives for gear

i would like to hear a vocoder round up or something.

so you can hear all different makes and types at once
Old 3rd June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
i know, low cost gear sucks for making music
Depends on what it is ... (I'm talking about *this* piece of low cost gear ... not making some sweeping statement about the validity of using low-cost gear in music productions ... )

Personally, I use what inspires me ... And the sound coming from that vocoder would only inspire me to grab some sandpaper and go to work ...

Also, some people can tolerate or seem to enjoy being surrounded by walls of gear ... but I don't ...

I only keep hardware that I know I'm going to use (unless it's new and going through it's "trial phase") ... (I also try not to accumulate too many softies just for the of it ) ...

Quote:
i would like to hear a vocoder round up or something.

so you can hear all different makes and types at once
That's a great idea ... I'm in the market for a replacement for my recently departed V-Synth XT ... Towards the end, the real reason I was keeping it was for the vocal designer (vocoder) section ... There's just no digital vocoder soft or hard that comes close ... Or is there?
Old 3rd June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
I really don't think you'd notice in a track. It's a sound effect, it's not underpinning a track like a synth does.

The Boss SE50/70 have vocoders in too, with a nice Roland chorus on them. I've got all of these, I should do a shootout.
A budget Youtube Vocoder shootout would be really wonderful.

- as mentionsed earlier there are soooo many options.
Would love to see...

Zoom 1200 series
Boss series (SE50, SE70, VF1, RSP550 etc)
Alesis series (Micron, Metavox, Akira, Ineko)

I have been a fan of the SE50/SE70 vocoder for many years- (7 band and 21 band options there AFAIK).
Not sure Behringer would cut it against those (I had a an early Virtualizer and was veryunderwhelmed- perhaps the newer Behringer unit vocoders are improved?)
Also unsure Ensoniq DP series or Korg DVP-1 would do well against the aforementioned...

PS-I think the Zoom would sound great with Drum/percussion input as the controller- or just doing some vocoded swells/pad/ambient beds for tracks (work from the Fixx comes to mind- subtle but effective).
Old 3rd June 2015
Lives for gear

i had a Boss me50 once never tried that vocoder too.. mmm
Old 3rd June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
Personally, I use what inspires me ... And the sound coming from that vocoder would only inspire me to grab some sandpaper and go to work ...
It may not inspire, but it is often a worthwhile exercise to get creative with a sound and put it to good/alternative use.

Lots of things may sound less than exciting until you work with them (EQ, Effects, Sample and transpose to extremes, use in a completely different way).

There are more than a few artists on this board that amaze me with what they can squeeze out of gear with their creativity. (Often, this is born out of being on a budget- I have been there, now own expensive things, but have never lost that thought to explore budget offerings)

PS- have you tried the EH v256 against the Vsynth XT?
Old 3rd June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowthrough View Post
A budget Youtube Vocoder shootout would be really wonderful.
Yes we need some template sentences to speak in the mic so that the results have the same words and speech
Old 3rd June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes we need some template sentences to speak in the mic so that the results have the same words and speech
Yes, modulator (spoken word and a drum loop) and carrier (saw/square waves and some pads at various pitches) WAVs needed.
Old 3rd June 2015
Lives for gear

Haven't use mine for years (over a decade?) and forgot how it sounded ... and that sounds better than most software attempts I've made. Time to dig mine out again - many thanks !
Old 3rd June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowthrough View Post

PS- have you tried the EH v256 against the Vsynth XT?
Not bad ... It has the smooth quality of a vocoder I desire ...(Not a fan of the crunchy granola digital vocoders) ... That actually might might be an option for me ... Can anybody comment on its ability to cut through a mix ... ??? Because that was the thing about the V-Synth XT vocoder was it's laser-like way of doing that ...

Last edited by Diametro; 3rd June 2015 at 05:21 PM..
Old 3rd June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
Yes, modulator (spoken word and a drum loop) and carrier (saw/square waves and some pads at various pitches) WAVs needed.
cant do, i have no pc in my studio.
Old 3rd June 2015
Gear Maniac

Old 3rd June 2015
Lives for gear

Anyone know if the Zoom Multistomp pedals have a vocoder?
Old 3rd June 2015
Gear Maniac

The Multistomp pedals don't have a vocoder...
Old 3rd June 2015
Gear Head

There's a video demonstrating how to create a Talkbox patch. Maybe someone could rip the sound at 5m 14s and use that for a vocoder shootout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seuW...ature=youtu.be
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search