The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drum machine combines LM-1, LM-2 Linndrum, Linn9000 and DMX Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 30th May 2015
Gear Nut

Drum machine combines LM-1, LM-2 Linndrum, Linn9000 and DMX

Hello, if your into 80s drum machines you might find my new project video interesting. I started the project because I couldn't afford a vintage Linndrum but had an old MIDIbass that used the same chips. On furthur investigation it turned out the Oberheim DMX used a very similar circuit to the Linndrum.

I've been using the Micro Linn / MX for about 2 years now so I figure its time to document the project and maby think about taking it to the next step.

You can hear the difference between the samples of the LM-1, and LM-2 Linndrums in the video. I find myself using either the LM-1 or DMX kick, and the LM-2 snare in most of my work. This drum machine was essentially designed for synthwave. Thanks for your time!

Old 30th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by engtech View Post
I figure its time to document the project and maby think about taking it to the next step.
If the next step is meant to be selling, count me in as interested, if its priced reasonably
Old 30th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
If the next step is meant to be selling, count me in as interested, if its priced reasonably
what about tune for the hits, this was possible on some of the original machines wasn't it?

sorry didn't mean to quote...

Last edited by breakmixer; 30th May 2015 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: blunder
Old 30th May 2015
Lives for gear

Interesting. If it will be polyphonic, can load new samples and the samples can be tuned, I am intersted. I already have a Lm2 and a Drumulator, but one can never have too many old 8-bit drummachies....
Old 30th May 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
what about tune for the hits, this was possible on some of the original machines wasn't it?

sorry didn't mean to quote...
Right now the tuning is via MIDI CC, in the demo I do some MIDI sequenced tuning with the toms and cowbell, though any of the samples can be pitched.

Coorec: Maby if 4 or 5 people are interested, I could look into crowd funding. The most expensive part is the vintage am6070 DAC chips. My best guess is it would probably cost around 275$ range.
Old 30th May 2015
Gear Head

Looks great! I'd definitely be interested in a polyphonic version and quite possibly this mono version.
Old 30th May 2015
Lives for gear

Yes, I would want one.1
Old 30th May 2015
Gear Addict

I'd probably buy one too if the price was good
Old 30th May 2015
Lives for gear

Yup. Here's one more sucker
Old 30th May 2015
Deleted be0c6fb
I'm seriously interested, please count me in.
Old 30th May 2015
Here for the gear

Very nice. I'd be interested
Old 30th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Right now the tuning is via MIDI CC, in the demo I do some MIDI sequenced tuning with the toms and cowbell, though any of the samples can be pitched.

Coorec: Maby if 4 or 5 people are interested, I could look into crowd funding. The most expensive part is the vintage am6070 DAC chips. My best guess is it would probably cost around 275$ range.
Definitely interested (poly version), even if you made and sold pcbs and provided diy info.

Last edited by BenDayho; 30th May 2015 at 10:55 PM..
Old 30th May 2015
Gear Addict

Great project!

Im interested
Old 30th May 2015
Lives for gear

+1 want!
Old 30th May 2015
Lives for gear
Yes please
Old 30th May 2015
Gear Guru

are you ****tin' me...

oh yes please, been wanting these sounds forever...count me in..!!
Old 31st May 2015
Lives for gear

this is rad! if full units arent available, a kit would be cool!
Old 31st May 2015
Lives for gear

I am totally interested in this. Count me in as an early adopter!
Old 31st May 2015
Lives for gear

Tune pots, polyphony and additional individual outs would make this great and a no brainer if the price was right!

What other drums could possibly be squeezed into a unit like this, Drumtrax, RZ-1, Drumulator etc? Or are they some other format/incompatible?
Old 31st May 2015
Gear Guru

LM-1, LM-2 Linndrum, Linn9000 and DMX and a way to tune each drum sound with level controls would be insane, seperate outs would be too but that's probably pushing it, but be nice to get some filtering on the snare and kick independently..
Old 31st May 2015
Here for the gear

Wow...nice
Old 31st May 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
LM-1, LM-2 Linndrum, Linn9000 and DMX and a way to tune each drum sound with level controls would be insane, seperate outs would be too but that's probably pushing it, but be nice to get some filtering on the snare and kick independently..
Yes, having seperate outputs per voice is something that I wanted to add in the next version too. For pitch control I was thinking about making the 8 knobs dual purpose, so you could adjust the VCA env and the pitch with them by toggling a switch or button. I wanted to add a LCD or OLED display to it, maby some buttons for a sequencer too.

Thanks for the ideas, it looks like theres at least 5 people that would be interested so I'll start working on the project this week. Feel free to share your design ideas, I'll do the best that I can to implement them.

The project is primarilly for bedroom producers that can't afford the vintage stuff but want the same sound, so trying to keep things simple and inexpensive is best.

I'd like to try making the project open source, and offer pcb's though I can tell you from experience that usually I go through maby 2-3 pcb revisions with my projects, so I'll have to be careful that everything is cool and not jump the gun when it comes to that.
Old 31st May 2015
Gear Guru

can we have wooden end cheeks or casing...

Old 31st May 2015
Gear Nut

I'd be interested if sample loading was an option and finished units not just kits were available.
Old 31st May 2015
Gear Nut

Do want.
Old 31st May 2015
Lives for gear
You've just started a business! Please make this available!

Quote:
Hello, if your into 80s drum machines you might find my new project video interesting. I started the project because I couldn't afford a vintage Linndrum but had an old MIDIbass that used the same chips. On furthur investigation it turned out the Oberheim DMX used a very similar circuit to the Linndrum.

I've been using the Micro Linn / MX for about 2 years now so I figure its time to document the project and maby think about taking it to the next step.

You can hear the difference between the samples of the LM-1, and LM-2 Linndrums in the video. I find myself using either the LM-1 or DMX kick, and the LM-2 snare in most of my work. This drum machine was essentially designed for synthwave. Thanks for your time!

Old 31st May 2015
Lives for gear
To save on parts...how about only one trigger button and some sort of rotary switch that switches between voices...?

You'd chose the voice/drum sound in the rotary switch(...like an 808) then have one nice button/pad to input it...then switch to the next voice...input through button/pad etc... Quantization options would be nice to control as well.
Old 31st May 2015
Lives for gear

Wow, very nice.

Can you give a fellow geek some more details about how it looks inside? Have you cloned the digital circuit IC for IC?
Old 31st May 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
can we have wooden end cheeks or casing...

You know its funny, I was just looking at these cases Hammond Mfg. - Steel Chassis & Bottom Plates with Walnut Side Panels (1441 CWW & 1431 Series)

The 10x6x2 one looks perfect, then flip it upside down, get the control surface done from schaeffer / front panel express.
Old 31st May 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by niklasni1 View Post
Wow, very nice.

Can you give a fellow geek some more details about how it looks inside? Have you cloned the digital circuit IC for IC?
No the digital circuits are all modern, only the original analog heart of the sound, the am6070 DAC and cem filter chips were used. The audio path & opamps are all modern, a bit better than the opamps used in the originals.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search