The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Supersaw Wave and Today's Music
Old 9th May 2015
  #31
Lives for gear
 
shreddoggie's Avatar
Depends on whether your quest is to lead or follow.
Old 9th May 2015 | Show parent
  #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd View Post
The original supersaw isn't all that interesting now that there are better implementations of it. The SynthTech E340 Cloud Generator is probably my favorite variation on that theme, as it gets well into Swarmatron territory. The mega mode on the Cyclebox also offers a lot of control and multiple waveshapes. My favorite "Supersaw" patch is the LiveWire AFG's sawtooth output into the Cyndustries Sawtooth Animator. Take that output and mix it with the AFG's "alien saws" output (and modulate the AFG's waveshape with the Sawtooth Animator's LFOs). Finally, add the AFG's sawtooth sub oscillator. Boom.
Very neat. I have to check out that cloud generator.
Old 9th May 2015 | Show parent
  #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemosit View Post
I've had too many emotionally uplifting experiences with supersaws playing in the background for me to dismiss them. It's a sound that I definitely identify with a certain scene. Maybe that scene is now a bit anachronistic but, I'll take trance - even epic, progressive, etc. - over much of today's EDM that doesn't awake anything in me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yungwimen View Post
Interesting.
Mind you, it could have just been the drugs and women.
Old 9th May 2015
  #34
By the way, what is a cloud in this respect? I know about grain clouds, but I don't think they are the same as the clouds that are made from the Synthtech E340.
Old 9th May 2015 | Show parent
  #35
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by totty View Post
Have my Juno 2 here for the hoover amongst other things. IMHO nothing sounds like the original JP8000/8080, though many get close.
I meant as a gimmicky sound.. For the more melodic stuff.. I much prefer the D50 to be honest..

here's an example of the PWM doing it's "supersaw" ish sound..
http://www.sonicftp.com/uploaded_samples/synth/64.mp3
Old 9th May 2015
  #36
Lives for gear
 

To each their own but if someone wants "Voice of God" type HALLELUIAH! sounds in their music, the Supersaw is damn hard to beat even before Verbs, delay and Eventides come into play. And those control thingies with letters like A D S and R can really make it fit a lot of other places too
Old 9th May 2015 | Show parent
  #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemosit View Post
Mind you, it could have just been the drugs and women.
lol
Old 10th May 2015 | Show parent
  #38
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
I meant as a gimmicky sound.. For the more melodic stuff.. I much prefer the D50 to be honest..

here's an example of the PWM doing it's "supersaw" ish sound..
http://www.sonicftp.com/uploaded_samples/synth/64.mp3
Oh right the D-50 has that PWM thing. I still can't figure out how to use it haha. I just layer the samples that it has which has given me a lot so far; late 80's digital synth type sounds.

LOL oh this is The Never Ending Story theme.
Old 10th May 2015
  #39
Gear Guru
damn right it is! I have that preset if you want it ...
Old 10th May 2015
  #40
it's what you do with a 'sound' than just 'havin a sound'
..so you have a supersaw patch?

cool, now go write a tune/song with it and see how well it's received on soundcloud/itunes
a good tune will 'work' with a normal saw, square or an acoustic guitar... or a super duper saw....!
Old 10th May 2015 | Show parent
  #41
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yungwimen View Post
Has anyone ever tried making a supersine? or a supersomething else? lol
Yup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9x8rBKC4BE
Old 11th May 2015 | Show parent
  #42
Lives for gear
 
R3Member's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemosit View Post
I've had too many emotionally uplifting experiences with supersaws playing in the background for me to dismiss them.
While I like the sound of the Supersaw, I'm probably the oddball here in that I really don't like many of the electronic music genres that it eventually became associated with. I think a lot of this was due to the fact that by the time I was old enough to go out clubbing, I got sucked into the Electroclash scene in Hollywood, and any club that wasn't playing 80s synth music or Electroclash was probably spinning that anthem style Trance music mixed with modern hip-hop. It just wasn't my scene and going into any of those clubs was met with indifference and even irritation. When I eventually got a synth that had the Supersaw, I ended up associating it more with Gary Numan's "Vox Humana" sound since that's all I really use it for.

But I'm slowly learning to open up to some Trance music. I just recently started to listening to some of Juno Reactor's early work and like it quite a bit. So I think my preference leans more toward the darker and hypnotic stuff. The feel-good anthem style club stuff just doesn't click with me.
Old 11th May 2015
  #43
Lives for gear
 
natefrogg's Avatar
 

Hypersaw makes sense, i was referring to them as superdupersaws, or if its really ultra cheesed out then its a superduperpoooperscoopersaw

I like hoovers now and then
Old 12th May 2015 | Show parent
  #44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxys View Post
The super saw is around and in heavy use with the big room edm styles as well as the trance edm crossovers by the likes of w&w etc. But it's back with a difference. It's now not so detuned but more 'stacked' and hard synced. Hypersaw is the term being spun for this. Likely originating from the virus ti feature of the same name and thus the software emulations jumping on the bandwagon.

electronic tunes now becoming absent from analogue warmth, character and tone with its subtle harmonics filling electronic audio spectrums and replaced by big sounds with stacked unison and white noise all inapired and driven by the digital era we've all sat through. With analogue swinging back into main stream how will this change the sounds of the next decade?

Whether it's a good thing or not is as individual as whether you like mild cheddar or mature cheddar but it is present.
interesting.
Old 12th May 2015 | Show parent
  #45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
it's what you do with a 'sound' than just 'havin a sound'
..so you have a supersaw patch?

cool, now go write a tune/song with it and see how well it's received on soundcloud/itunes
a good tune will 'work' with a normal saw, square or an acoustic guitar... or a super duper saw....!
Reminds me of the circuit bent thread I started... lol again, regarding dated sounds. Kind of lead me to the same conclusion, it's not the sounds, it's the delivery.
Old 12th May 2015
  #46
Lives for gear
 
DJRAZZ's Avatar
 

Yes, the Supersaw is a classic and is also dated. But so is the D-50 and DX style sounds. Somebody will have to find a way to use it in a new context or the era will have to come back.
Old 12th May 2015 | Show parent
  #47
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston135 View Post
so, you have a supersaw wave.... then what?
you take another supersaw and detune them...
Old 12th May 2015 | Show parent
  #48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRAZZ View Post
Yes, the Supersaw is a classic and is also dated. But so is the D-50 and DX style sounds. Somebody will have to find a way to use it in a new context or the era will have to come back.
Yeah I totally hey. There are talented musicians out there that use well known and or vintage sounds in very innovative and fresh ways.
Old 12th May 2015 | Show parent
  #49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRAZZ View Post
Yes, the Supersaw is a classic and is also dated. But so is the D-50 and DX style sounds. Somebody will have to find a way to use it in a new context or the era will have to come back.
I have both a D-50 and DX synth for the win! Now for the challenge, make them sound current.
Old 21st January 2020 | Show parent
  #50
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yungwimen View Post
By the way, what is a cloud in this respect? I know about grain clouds, but I don't think they are the same as the clouds that are made from the Synthtech E340.
I can't get Synthtech E340 to match JP8000
Can't say that JP8000 sounds fantastic, but it definitely works commercially (sold mine to a Chinese guy that instantly became a famous DJ...)

Definitely worth exploring Eurorack modules, shouldn't be impossible to beat the JP8000
The E340 should maybe not be rule out, but there are more, maybe white noise
Circuit Slices Dual Parallel VCO has two decent separate SAWs which can be independently panned left and right, but three of those to are needed to get to 7 with another SAW in the center
Old 21st January 2020
  #51
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Necro answers.. see there's a good name for a band.
Old 21st January 2020
  #52
Lives for gear
 
BobTheDog's Avatar
 

Supersaw, dated?

Most people on this forum seem to want synths designed before the supersaw, it's positively modern.
Old 22nd January 2020 | Show parent
  #53
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog View Post
Supersaw, dated?
Most people on this forum seem to want synths designed before the supersaw, it's positively modern.
a super saw pad is played note by note
want to try the LiveWire AFG patch with its saw into the Cyndustries Sawtooth Animator, but cant find any Cyndustries Sawtooth Animator for sale
How does AJH Synths Wave Swarm compare to Cyndustries Sawtooth Animator?
Old 22nd January 2020 | Show parent
  #54
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd View Post
The original supersaw isn't all that interesting now that there are better implementations of it. The SynthTech E340 Cloud Generator is probably my favorite variation on that theme, as it gets well into Swarmatron territory. The mega mode on the Cyclebox also offers a lot of control and multiple waveshapes. My favorite "Supersaw" patch is the LiveWire AFG's sawtooth output into the Cyndustries Sawtooth Animator. Take that output and mix it with the AFG's "alien saws" output (and modulate the AFG's waveshape with the Sawtooth Animator's LFOs). Finally, add the AFG's sawtooth sub oscillator. Boom.
Thank you, will have a go with my AFG, ordered AJH Synth Wave Swarm and Happy Nerding Super Sawtor
Will try the white noise trick also, thanks again, E340 Cloud Generator and Dual Parallel VCO as extra VCOs and Cranial Saw to second AFG going through the Befaco Hexmix and Hexpander
Agree that Supersaw is a standard sound, lead in many EDM tracks, but sounding a bit hollow because of Sylenth1
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 63 views: 117434
Avatar for sbechristos
sbechristos 4th July 2013
replies: 16 views: 9035
Avatar for Semi Source
Semi Source 19th December 2012
replies: 961 views: 355922
Avatar for charlieclouser
charlieclouser 28th September 2020
replies: 5526 views: 215990
Avatar for Derp
Derp 13th October 2017
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump