The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Alpha Juno Screen Replacement
Old 1st May 2015
Lives for gear

Alpha Juno Screen Replacement

I love this thing to bits but the inverter hum is killing me so I think it's time to change the screen and be done with it.
What should I look for as a replacement?
My main concern is to finally remove the inverter so a 16x1 LED screen should do it?
Any recommendations?
Old 1st May 2015
Lives for gear
I've got a spare LED one for Alpha Juno sitting in my box of tricks, but can't recall the model number off-hand. I got them on ebay from china I think (White text on blue) and they are much brighter and sexier than the original. I fitted one of them to one of my old AJs (I've had around 7 or so Alpha juno 1&2s in my time lol) and from memory It needed +5v feed which I took from somewhere near the memory cart port on the Juno 2. So it was pretty simple. It was 2+ years ago so can't recall the details sorry, but I think I had to desolder the ribbon connector from the original LCD then back onto the new one... and the black metal frame around the display may have been a touch thicker so needed some longer screws or something to mount it... also I may have fitted a variable resistor inline as without it it was so bright you couldn't see any text (a contrast control of sorts).

I may have some photos of this on my other drive (or maybe I even posted them in a relevant thread on here) I'll come back and include them + LED details if I find them this weekend.

edit > just quickly the model on the LED module is RT1601 no brand name

also just found a pic of it - it looks photoshopped but was really hard to photo without it looking just all bright light but in reality it looks more like in this photo - the thin white strip on the top edge isn't some dodgy photoshop job either, it was light leak on the edge of the display as it was a bit wonky, so I swapped it again for a better one - the one I have left here is probably the wonky one actually.

edit > Attached RT1601 spec sheet that was next to it - but no internal photos as I went just yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Alpha Juno Screen Replacement-_1150204.jpg   Alpha Juno Screen Replacement-3tb_1105111032036ffb441485.jpg  

Last edited by Pro5; 1st May 2015 at 06:03 PM..
Old 1st May 2015
Lives for gear

Thank you very much.I'll search ebay for a screen like it.(rt1601)
Looks very bright indeed!
I think I will go with your resistor mod for optimum results.
If you feel like posting any additional info/tips/photos of any sort please do.

Also ,the ribbon connector fits as is? I think i've read somewhere the LEDs have an extra pin or something.
Did the replacement screen fit ok?That's the most tricky part I think.
Old 1st May 2015
Lives for gear
I think I had to rig it a bit with some/the screws - maybe using washers to allow for the new depth of the screen but it was close to factory, not exact but close. The photo makes it look worse than reality, it wasn't quite so dark blue - just a nice blue with clear crisp white text. You can get other colour combos no doubt.

Ribbon did fit I think there were two holes that I either didn't solder up or that were spare at the end of the connector - guess I wired those to ground and the +5v but memory is failing me , like I said it was a couple of years ago. It wasn't hard to fit the connector onto the new LED Board though.
Old 1st May 2015
Lives for gear

Ok!Good to know the ribbon was an easy fit.

So,is this Alpha Juno Screen ReplacementWide Angle 16x1 Character LCD Module Display w HD44780 Controller Backlight | eBay the right screen?
The controller is the same I think.
Old 1st May 2015
Here for the gear

I have a MKS-50 and am also interested in replacing its LCD screen.

Do you guys know whether it would be the same as in the Alpha Juno?

There's this thread but not much info in it:

http://mutable-instruments.net/forum...instruments/p1
Old 1st May 2015
Lives for gear

Looks like a 16x1 screen too but idk for sure.
There are many chinese LCDs but I would make sure I'd choose the thinnest in order to fit.

Thanks for the link btw.
I'm planning to replace the screen soon ,I'll post back.

Just out of curiosity ,does your MKS have the hum issue or just a dimmed backlight?
Old 2nd May 2015
Gear Maniac

I will only replace LCD's with OLED's these days, they are WAY better, there can be issues with getting the right size and a drop in replacement that works with HD44780 controllers.

The Winstar OLEDs are the ones you want. I have three BLUE 1601 (16x1) displays that I got off alibaba for only $15 a piece. You have to check the connector, if its ribbon then you might be fine.

Old 2nd May 2015
It's not a blanket rule or anything but OLED can create some noise in certain synthesizers. Pointing again to Mutable for reference Digital Noise from OLED (now with examples)
Old 2nd May 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by belzrebuth View Post
Just out of curiosity ,does your MKS have the hum issue or just a dimmed backlight?
The MKS has no hum, it is only the backlight that is fading away.

Please do let us know how it went when you replace yours.
Old 2nd May 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
I will only replace LCD's with OLED's these days, they are WAY better, there can be issues with getting the right size and a drop in replacement that works with HD44780 controllers.

The Winstar OLEDs are the ones you want. I have three BLUE 1601 (16x1) displays that I got off alibaba for only $15 a piece. You have to check the connector, if its ribbon then you might be fine.
Wow OLED looks very cool. Way cooler than LCD. Found these:

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?...ext=WEH001601A

Thanks for the tip!
Old 4th October 2015
Gear Head

Sorry to ask a few months after the event but OP did you end up doing the replacement and which display did you use? Any tips and steps you can advise to avoid pitfalls? Which model display did you use and what value resistor and how did you power display etc. Thanks for any tips as I would like to replace the display on my Juno 1.
Old 13th May 2016
Here for the gear

i also want to replace my lcd as my juno sings quit annoyingly. but to be honest i want to keep it as original as possible. is there a screen out there that is equally to the original roland? can anyone give me a link, please?
i live in germany, so a german shop would be the best. but once you give me a part i can track this down on myself!
thank you
Old 4th February 2017
Hi,

I've an AJ2 and the screen backlight has faded.
Was wondering if the cheapest fix is to change this:

Alpha Juno Screen Replacement18mm x 74mm Replacement EL Panel Backlight - Glow Foil for Many Synths £7.00

I don't mind changing the whole screen but want something cheap and not too time consuming to get it working.

Also the middle C has stopped working, once it apart hopefully the cause of that will be simple.

Not noticed any hum or noise so complete screen replacement is probably not necessary although if there's a no brainer recommendation for upgrade I guess it might be worth it.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

The only drawback of using a LED screen is that viewing angles are not that great IMO.

Other than that I think that they're a great replacement and dirt cheap.(around 3-5$ on eBay.)

You have to be able to solder but no other knowledge is required ;the pinouts are the same except that you need to take 5V from somewhere to power the LED backlight.
You can tap a 5V line from the synth's power supply;the PSU will handle it no problem since the consumption of the led backlight is pretty low.

Replacing just the foil might be easier but it's not cheaper and you may have to deal with the inverter whining sooner or later.

Since you're going to open the synth anyway , if you're comfortable soldering ,why not fit a LED screen in there and be done with it?
You'll also need to remove the little inverter transformer or cut its power PCB traces.

For not much money you could do VFD or OLED (much better looking screens) but additional work is required so if you're in a hurry this might not be for you.
Old 4th February 2017
for 16x01 OLED maybe this one WEH001601A would work but I'm not clear on if it will fit or what wiring mods might be needed. I've not looked inside AJ2 for years, can't remember what it looks like.

The standard OEM LCD is soldered in or on a ribbon/edge connector? Soldering is no issue, but what is the standard fitting?
Old 4th February 2017
Ah to answer my own q looks like a soldered flat cable.

Here's a a guide for OLED screen. OLED display for Alpha JUNO 2 | Jeroen Oldenhof

If I can find an OLED screen for a good price somewhere then maybe it'll be worth it, they look good when done
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

On mine I just stripped and soldered the ends of the ribbon cable to the corresponding pins of the new screen.
I didn't use any headers or connectors .

I've done the same with other gear with no problems.
Some older LCDs have their header pins on two rows on the side or on the lower right side and most of the newer lcds have a straight line of pins on the top left side so just cutting the ribbon from the old LCD and soldering it to the new LCD is far easier than searching an old style screen.

I think I've used a 33R resistor to adjust the brightness although I could've used a bigger one because the screen backlight is barely visible through the keys with the lights off.

OLED screens are better and crisper but they're about 10-15 times the cost of conventional LED screens and you have to watch the dimensions to match the old one as close as possible.
Old 5th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by belzrebuth View Post
On mine I just stripped and soldered the ends of the ribbon cable to the corresponding pins of the new screen.
I didn't use any headers or connectors .

I've done the same with other gear with no problems.
Some older LCDs have their header pins on two rows on the side or on the lower right side and most of the newer lcds have a straight line of pins on the top left side so just cutting the ribbon from the old LCD and soldering it to the new LCD is far easier than searching an old style screen.

I think I've used a 33R resistor to adjust the brightness although I could've used a bigger one because the screen backlight is barely visible through the keys with the lights off.

OLED screens are better and crisper but they're about 10-15 times the cost of conventional LED screens and you have to watch the dimensions to match the old one as close as possible.
Have you any links of part numbers for the OLED screens you use that are compatible with form factor and addressing mode of the AJ2?

That link I posted previously used a screen with a different addressing and so required a firmware hack. Definitely not got time for that or an EEPROM programmer anymore.

A drop in OLED that isn't too price would be great. Otherwise maybe I'll put a new LCD or LED in. Main thing it so get it working and not have a new noise issue!
Old 5th February 2017
Lives for gear

I find that OLED displays look a bit better when new but they don't last anywhere near as long as LED's.
Old 5th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
I find that OLED displays look a bit better when new but they don't last anywhere near as long as LED's.
But this is the Alpha Juno. Go all out I say and enjoy it while you can.
Old 5th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRAZZ View Post
But this is the Alpha Juno. Go all out I say and enjoy it while you can.

I'd rather not have to replace the display every four or five years, no matter what the Synth is.
Old 5th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisJB View Post
Have you any links of part numbers for the OLED screens you use that are compatible with form factor and addressing mode of the AJ2?

That link I posted previously used a screen with a different addressing and so required a firmware hack. Definitely not got time for that or an EEPROM programmer anymore.

A drop in OLED that isn't too price would be great. Otherwise maybe I'll put a new LCD or LED in. Main thing it so get it working and not have a new noise issue!
I haven't put any OLEDs in a JU-2 only in a DX7mkI so I don't have any recommendations.
I think you'd fine with a standard LED.
I only mentioned OLED if you've got the time to do some research..
Old 17th May 2017
I have installed an OLED in the following machines:
2 x Mutable Instruments AMbika
2 x Motu828Mk2
1 x Alpha Juno 2
1 x Access Virus KB
1 x Lexicon LPX-15
4 x Midipal
All Raystar displays from TME Poland. They should run 80K hours minimum.
No problems so far. Fingers crossed.
Old 27th July 2017
Lives for gear

What exactly do I have to look for to get a 16x1 LCD display with the correct adressing mode?

I want to get one of these negative LCD displays (No OLED)

3.3V/5V 1601 1x16 Character LCD Module Display,White on Black

but I don't want this to happen:

source: OLED display for Alpha JUNO 2 | Jeroen Oldenhof
Old 13th November 2017
Lives for gear

In case anyone cares, the LCDs from buydisplay work without any firmware changes.
They don't look nearly as nice as the OLEDs though.
The one I got is supposed to be black and white, but it's more like blue/white. I guess it's another case of you get what you pay for.

However the stock resistor for the contrast setting (R66 5k6) doesn't work.
I've cut the contact and soldered a 680Ohm directly to the LCD between pin 1 and 3. The contrast is still not perfect at my seating position. Have to try different ones.

Here's what it looks like at the optimum angle.

Alpha Juno Screen Replacement-20171113_224449.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Alpha Juno Screen Replacement-20171113_224449.jpg  
Old 17th November 2017
Lives for gear

After further examination my conclusion is that this cheap LCD is not really a good choice for this task.
I've soldered in a potentiometer to finetune the contrast, but I can't get good results no matter what setting i choose.
It looks nice when you look at it at 90°, but as soon as you're off a few 10 degrees, it's more or less terrible.

Is this a general limitation of LCDs or are more expensive LCDs better at this?
I guess it's the latter as the D50's LCD works just fine.

EDIT: Or are there special LCDs for tilted applications?
Old 9th March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerreyckenGerd View Post
I have installed an OLED in the following machines:
2 x Mutable Instruments AMbika
2 x Motu828Mk2
1 x Alpha Juno 2
1 x Access Virus KB
1 x Lexicon LPX-15
4 x Midipal
All Raystar displays from TME Poland. They should run 80K hours minimum.
No problems so far. Fingers crossed.
I don't suppose we can see a photo of that working OLED in the Alpha Juno?

I just installed a Raystar 1x16 OLED (from TME) in the MKS-50 and it's only spitting out the first half, just like the Vishay & Crystalfontz OLEDs.

Also, the juno firmware hack (as-is) doesn't work for the MKS-50.

Thoughts?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search