The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced

Discussion Highlights

Glyn Johns method for drums

...my buddies Gretsch set. 1 - Coles 4038 above & behind drummers right shoulder. 1 - Coles 4038 on the kick 1 - EV 630 mic under the snare All recorded with my portable rig, using Helios type 69 pre's > SH Optograph Comps > summed into one channel using the API 8220A. Very cool! Absolutely amazing sounds..

View Post

Guitar mic to compliment what I have already

...a Tweed Deluxe with a Tele. Fairly distorted. It sounds so so good! It looks like this EV 630. Electro-Voice Model 630. I bet they can be had pretty cheap too. I got one at a yard sale for super cheap.

View Post

What other parameters are important to consider when choosing a mic?

...Toby wanted to record the rap sitting on the couch in the control room so I handed him my 1950s-vintage EV 630 through a Buzz Audio MA2.2 preamp. You can hear it in the Youtube video linked above in the song title. And if you're ever at Sweetwater, look me up. I've got that...

View Post

Reviews

Nobody has reviewed this product yet. Have an opinion?

Product Description

The Model 630 is an omnidirectional dynamic microphone. It was recommended by the manufacturer for applications as diverse as public address and music recording. The moving-coil diaphragm was made of Acoustalloy, a nonmetallic material that provide stable performance regardless of ambient temperature, humidity, or corrosive salt air. The mic could be set to either “high” or “low” (150Ω) impedance, by opening the QC-4M Quick Change connector and relocating one of the connection pins inside the microphone. The published frequency graph shows a nominally flat response (±1dB) from 60Hz–5kHz, followed by a broad presence boost (+2dB) from 5–10kHz. The Model 630 was covered by a limited lifetime warranty against mechanical defect.